GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Video Gaming (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Final Fantasy Megathread (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20720)

Ginkasa 03-28-2010 09:12 PM

Final Fantasy Megathread

As proposed in the Final Fantasy "this or that" thread, here is a Final Fantasy megathread!

For the next uncertain period of time (weeks? months? maybe even years?) I will be embarking on a quest to play through each of the core Final Fantasy video games and I invite you to come along with me!

Basically, every so often I will update this thread with the next Final Fantasy game. If you would like this is your cue to start playing that game and discuss whatever you'd like about it. I will be updating the thread based on my own playthrough, but feel free to play the games at your own pace. Just please refrain from discussing a game that hasn't been posted yet. This way the conversations can stay contained somewhat and we won't all be discussing VII or XIII when we're on II or whatever.

Also, this will only contain the core, numbered Final Fantasy titles. So no sequels (X-2) or spin-offs (Crystal Chronicles) will be included. Also, due the nature of the game I will not be playing through XI, but I will post it so it can be discussed in the future.

So, without further ado....

Ginkasa 03-28-2010 09:12 PM

Re: Final Fantasy Megathread

Final Fantasy I wiki page

Originally released for the Famicom in 1987 in Japan and the NES in 1990 in North America, FFI is, appropriately, the first Final Fantasy game. I think the story behind the creation of the game is relatively common knowledge. Basically, SquareSoft wasnot doing so well as a company in the late 80s and only had the resources for one "final" game. The man in charge of the title, Hironobu Sakaguchi, felt that he could create a story based game better than an action game, so he decided to create a fantasy RPG. He titled the game "Final Fantasy" since it was supposed to have been Square's literal final fantasy.

FFI introduced to the series... well, everything, but specific things that have carried over to the rest of the games:

- The names and images for many of the jobs/classes
- Musical themes such as the Prelude, Main Theme, and Victory Fanfare
- Airships
- Crystal themed story

There have been many, many different remakes and ports of the game over the years. It has been released in NA as:

- Final Fantasy for the NES
- As part of the Final Fantasy Origins collection on the PSX with updated graphic, a refined translation, and slight tweaks to the gameplay (including an "easy mode")
- Part of the Final Fantasy I&II Dawn of Souls collection for the GBA. This version was made considerably easier and simpler than previous versions.
- Final Fantasy for the PSP with further updated graphics
- The original NES version on the Wii's Virtual Console

I will be playing through the Origins version on the Playstation on "Normal Mode". The original has not aged well visually, and I feel the Origins version has the best gameplay "refinements" without compromising the original game itself, if that makes sense.

I actually started playing a few days ago. I am now on Mt. Gulg for those familiar with the game. I will update with impressions once I've completed it.

TheSlyMoogle 03-29-2010 12:28 AM

Noice!

I will join in when you start Final Fantasy III.

magus113 03-29-2010 12:41 AM

I'd love to join in now but sadly I have a huge backlog of other games I have to finish. You can ask Earl what I'm talking about, it's pretty big.

Ginkasa 03-29-2010 12:48 AM

BTW, feel free to talk about the games even if you can't or would prefer not to play them at this time if you have already played them.

Typhoid 03-29-2010 04:44 AM

I really wish I could play the older ones. :mad:

magus113 03-29-2010 08:24 AM

I can't remember where it is that I've gotten the farthest in FF1, but I think my biggest issue with it was the same problem with the old NES RPGs, where they throw you out somewhere and expect you to know wtf is happening.

Ginkasa 03-31-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magus113 (Post 265954)
I can't remember where it is that I've gotten the farthest in FF1, but I think my biggest issue with it was the same problem with the old NES RPGs, where they throw you out somewhere and expect you to know wtf is happening.

Its not so much they expect you to just know; they expect you to pay VERY close attention and take notes.

But I definitely see what you're saying. At one point in FF1 there's, like, five different things you need to do all at once and about 15 NPCs stretched across the entire world giving vague hints about what those things are. Its pretty crazy.

thatmariolover 03-31-2010 09:57 AM

FF1 and FF2 are both on the iPhone now as well, $9 apiece.

TheSlyMoogle 03-31-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginkasa (Post 266068)
Its not so much they expect you to just know; they expect you to pay VERY close attention and take notes.

But I definitely see what you're saying. At one point in FF1 there's, like, five different things you need to do all at once and about 15 NPCs stretched across the entire world giving vague hints about what those things are. Its pretty crazy.

That would be the part where bahamut is involved. Oh and the other stuff you have to do. it was at that point I was all "FAQ?" and I did it.

magus113 03-31-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle (Post 266080)
That would be the part where bahamut is involved. Oh and the other stuff you have to do. it was at that point I was all "FAQ?" and I did it.

I don't like FAQs unless I'm just that desperate. Probably why I looked to one a bunch of times for Valkyria Chronicles. I sucked at that game a good portion of the time, it's a shame it's really good.

Xantar 03-31-2010 01:47 PM

Ok so I'm working through FF IV and this is my first time actually trying to get through the whole game instead of quitting halfway through because I got distracted by something else.

You know what's fun? Leveling up Cecil right after he becomes a Paladin. You know what's more fun? Killing everybody else in the party and having Cecil accumulate truckloads of EXP for every fight. You know what's even more fun? Having every other character level up accordingly by the time they rejoin you. Running around the latter half of the game at level 50 is SWEET (I used the speed up function on my emulator, in case you're wondering why I didn't die of boredom first). Even Edward is kind of useful.

Speaking of which, does anybody know if Edward can actually be made into a good character other than by ridiculously leveling him up like I did? Because I don't know how the game designers thought he would be a good character otherwise. I mean his only trick is he runs away and hides when he gets hurt which just means you can't heal him.

magus113 03-31-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xantar (Post 266097)
Ok so I'm working through FF IV and this is my first time actually trying to get through the whole game instead of quitting halfway through because I got distracted by something else.

You know what's fun? Leveling up Cecil right after he becomes a Paladin. You know what's more fun? Killing everybody else in the party and having Cecil accumulate truckloads of EXP for every fight. You know what's even more fun? Having every other character level up accordingly by the time they rejoin you. Running around the latter half of the game at level 50 is SWEET (I used the speed up function on my emulator, in case you're wondering why I didn't die of boredom first). Even Edward is kind of useful.

Speaking of which, does anybody know if Edward can actually be made into a good character other than by ridiculously leveling him up like I did? Because I don't know how the game designers thought he would be a good character otherwise. I mean his only trick is he runs away and hides when he gets hurt which just means you can't heal him.

My general opinion of Edward has not been a good one, but I think there might be a song or two that he learns that's pretty decent.

I really need to get on FF4 again. I don't have much time to whip out the DS anymore. Thanks work.

Ginkasa 04-01-2010 12:01 AM

I think Edward is just a crappy character overall. Nobody seems to like him or has made any real use of him. Just deal with him when he's there and soon enough he'll be gone again.

Anyway, I would prefer if we could stick to the "game at hand." Otherwise the "point" of the thread is kind of mutilated beyond all recognition.

Guess its not really a big deal, though. Oh well...

magus113 04-01-2010 12:51 PM

You know what? I think I might jump on my copy of Dawn of Souls. I'm out of the house more often than not so I can have it tag along on my DS. So I'm in!

I'm gonna start off with Fighter, White Mage, Black Mage, and Red Mage if I so choose. Might swap the last one out for Monk since cheaper to start with, but whatever. I like being overly offensive in my RPG playing strategies.