GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Superman: The Man of Steel (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21275)

BreakABone 10-05-2010 10:01 AM

Superman: The Man of Steel

Zack Snyder (300/Watchmen) has signed on to direct the next Superman movie, The Man of Steel. The movie is being written by David Goyer (Blade Trilogy, Begins, The Dark Knight) and will be supervised (no idea what that means) by Chris Nolan (if you don't know, you really are missing out)

Apparently the foe for this movie will once again be Emperor Zod!

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/zack...ting-superman/

Angrist 10-05-2010 11:55 AM

Re: Superman: The Man of Steel

F34R EMPEROR ZOD!

BreakABone 08-04-2011 10:55 AM

This is...
Yeah...

KillerGremlin 08-04-2011 05:52 PM

Mind you, Snyder did a visually appealing adaptation of 300 and Watchmen, and he did that Sucker Punch movie. He tends to miss the mark in terms of plot and writing, but Superman is straightforward enough. Right?

Ginkasa 08-05-2011 01:29 AM

I think the hope is that, since he's producing, Christopher Nolan will make sure the plot's good and leave the pretties to Snyder.

Teuthida 07-21-2012 02:30 PM

BreakABone 07-21-2012 02:51 PM

Same exact teaser, but with a narration by Jor-El instead of Pa Kent

Teuthida 12-03-2012 03:38 PM

BreakABone 12-11-2012 12:10 PM

At least not hiding the Jesus allegory in this film

Vampyr 12-11-2012 12:58 PM

I don't even like Superman but this looks awesome.

The Duggler 12-11-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakABone (Post 284837)

At least not hiding the Jesus allegory in this film

Why do you say that exactly?

And damn that movie looks good.

Teuthida 12-11-2012 08:41 PM

He's obliviously Moses.

I don't know what to think. Visually it's very dark and tonally it seems quite serious. Plus I don't have confidence in any of the creatives involved based on their prior work.

I usually absolutely love Snyder's trailers while not really liking his movies. So that fact that the trailer doesn't do a whole lot for me might be a good sign.

Eh, shall see. As long as Superman punches someone, it will be an improvement over the last film.

The take off was pretty cool.

Teuthida 12-22-2012 07:15 AM

Teuthida 04-15-2013 05:50 AM

BreakABone 04-16-2013 02:35 PM

You are not alone
I am here with you..

Er sorry

Teuthida 04-16-2013 08:50 PM

And now I'm excited.

BreakABone 04-16-2013 09:16 PM

More action in a 3 minute trailer than 2 hours of Superman Returns..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=398

Download links if anyone is in the market!

Teuthida 04-17-2013 06:52 AM

Thanks for those. Went through frame by frame towards the end to see everything in detail. So cool.

Ginkasa 04-17-2013 05:49 PM

So glad they're using that line.

Jason1 04-17-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakABone (Post 285345)
More action in a 3 minute trailer than 2 hours of Superman Returns..

Hey, I actually really liked Superman Returns. In fact its one of my favorite superhero movies.

Teuthida 04-23-2013 01:37 PM

Teuthida 05-12-2013 03:02 PM

BreakABone 05-21-2013 10:42 PM

Teuthida 05-22-2013 02:40 AM

The juggling punches aren't new to this trailer but are still the coolest bit for me. Get to see this page in action.

Also Sups breaks the sound barrier with his punches.

Just hoping can see most of the action. They're fast moving blurs a lot of the time in this trailer. Snyder's trademark slow-mo would actually be welcome.

Anyone read the prequel comic?

Professor S 05-24-2013 02:33 PM

The last trailer is made of awesome. So excited to see Superman actually PUNCH something...

BreakABone 06-12-2013 11:53 PM

This movie was so good!

KillerGremlin 07-29-2013 07:59 PM

I know I'm the forum cynic, but I loved **The Wolverine**...I'll probably love me some Iron Man 3 when I rent that shit, and I've enjoyed quite a few summer blockbusters this year.

Man of Steel was dogshit.

I could go into a lengthy rant as to why this movie sucked massive balls, but I feel like a couple of observations need to be stated:

1) Apparently making a good Superman movie is hard

2) Apparently the original cut was over 3 hours long, and Snyder had to edit the shit out of the film

I thought the movie was disjointed and dumb. Zod's motives didn't make a whole lot of sense, and while I greatly enjoyed the opening sequence on Kyrpton, I thought the "ZOD MAD, ZOD REVENGE" thing was dull and boring.

The plot was really contrived. All the shit with young Clark Kent lifting a bus out of the water and seeing everyone's bones reminded me of that tiny budget masterpiece, Chronicle. This film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706593/

There were two good scenes though. The oil rig scene was BADASS. My heart was pounding during that. That was some good shit. The other scene that was well done was the scene when the kids were bullying young Clark, and he just took the abuse...and the bullies walk away, and you see what Clark did to the fence. I thought that was an awesome scene that really conveyed message/meaning. You know...like a movie is supposed to.

The scene where Kevin Costner committed self-mutilation by tornado was probably the dumbest thing I've seen on the big screen since Waterworld. I'm not saying that Kevin Costner should feel bad for being a mediocre B-List actor with no talent that no one gives a shit about, but seriously, if he ever sees a tornado in real life....(I understand that he didn't actually write that awful scene, I'm just saying).

The action scenes were awesome. Some of them were. That was the big deal with this movie, right? A cathartic breather from the offbeat and quirky disaster that was Superman Returns. You know, Superman Returns was a dumb, boring movie...but Brandon Routh has just about everything going towards his portrayal as Superman as Henry Cavill does. That said, Henry Cavill KILLED it in this film. He was by far the best part of this heaping pile of shit. When that dude put on the Superman costume....holy shit. This guy is Superman. He even had a few cutesy moments ala Routh/Reeve.

The best action scene in this movie was the fight in the small desert town where Superman was being thrown into trains, and trains were being thrown into Superman, and that general chick was kicking ass. That was some cool shit.

The stuff at the end of the movie was so...yawn. Pretentious and boring. And what the fuck was with that tentacle world destroyer thing? Can you talk about forced nonsense for the sake of being forced nonsense? Not only was that scene boring as hell, but it made no sense.

This must be a Nolan thing...apparently what passes for "Superhero" these days is the massive destruction of cities. It's funny, because we saw Bane do some serious damage to Gotham, and now we see Zod destroy half of New York/Metropolis...and it couldn't be any less exciting. The end of The Dark Knight was ten times more intense than this fake bullshit. And seriously, did you know that the black guy from The Matrix was in this new Superman movie? Yeah, he's like running from lasers and falling buildings and shit, because apparently The Wachowski Brothers couldn't afford to pay for him to continue to lead people down the rabbit hole, or whatever.

I guess my final gripe will be with Lois Lane. First off, it's a good god damn coincidence that Kryptonians or whatever they are called look like humans. You'd think that Superman, an alien who can see people's freaky bones, would want nothing to do with a lady or her lady bits. But what do I know. Interspecies erotica here we come. Like most of these movies, I thought Lois was kind of underdeveloped. Her bravery (not to be confused with being an empowered woman) was more of a plot vehicle for some confusing bullshit on that spaceship. Also, apparently Zod and the Kryptonites are so smart they can build a spaceship that can block out the radiation from the sun and create a fake atmosphere, but they can't save their exploding planet.

Le what the fuck.

Maybe it was the grueling 2+ hour length, or the mellow dramatic tone, or the sepia colors used, or the lack of fun moments (like when Superman figured out he can fly...not just jump really high). It's like, this movie tried so hard to not be Superman Returns it totally lost sight of things like having fun or having good writing and a story that makes any sense.

The final fight scene was a total rip off of the boring end to the boring and dumb Matrix Revolutions too. Jeez. Dat Jesus allegory.

Once the action/nostalgia boner wares off, this movie is going to age like dogshit. Nolan needs to stop writing these clunkers. He had two winners in Batman Begins/TDK. Quit while you're ahead.

KillerGremlin 07-29-2013 08:22 PM

Here's a good review explaining some of the many problems with Man of Steel:

Teuthida 07-30-2013 10:10 AM

While I agree with the Pa Kent bit, I liked the movie as a whole. Well, maybe more so that it set a good stage for the future connected DC movie universe.

Cavill IS Superman. After being submitted to Batman movies with (IMO) some imposter, having this movie make me believe that that was Superman on the screen was a breath of fresh air (and a relief).

Plus going into the movie I had low expectations. All I wanted was for Superman to punch someone. And boy did I get that. Actually DC proper movies have been absolute shit since...almost ever (look at their track record...it's depressing), so getting a passable movie was nice for a change.

Not sure how involved Nolan was with the story. I know as the producer I heard he was almost completely hands off. You also had Goyer as the writer once again. Feel like he'll be writing every DC movie now since those have been the only successful ones sadly. He's also co-writing the Superman and Batman one with Snyder. Have yet to see Sucker Punch so haven't experienced Snyder's writing first hand.

So yeah, I'm primarily content that I got a DC movie I didn't hate. Good foundation with room for improvement. Fingers crossed on how they handle Batman for the sequel.

Man, I really want to like the Half in the Bag guys. They lost me on their TKDR review. They loved that to death.

Thought Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman had a good discussion between two guys with very different views on the film. (If you know about Smith's experience with trying to write Superman previously, the tentacle machine is pretty funny. I'm just hoping that was a nod to Brainiac, and maybe setting him up, since similar to how his ship is portrayed.)

And this one more played for laughs:

KillerGremlin 07-31-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 285667)
While I agree with the Pa Kent bit, I liked the movie as a whole. Well, maybe more so that it set a good stage for the future connected DC movie universe.

It did feel like a movie setting the stage for future sequels and the new Batman/Superman film.

Quote:

Plus going into the movie I had low expectations. All I wanted was for Superman to punch someone. And boy did I get that. Actually DC proper movies have been absolute shit since...almost ever (look at their track record...it's depressing), so getting a passable movie was nice for a change.

The original Superman movies were alright.

I thought Batman and Batman Returns were both awesome movies.

Batman Begins and TDK are awesome movies, and awesome comic book films. I felt like TDKR was alright, but it's grown off of me with time and rewatching. I liked Tom Hardy as Bane, he did an awesome job. I thought Anne Hathaway killed it as Catwoman.

I think TDKR was the most "Nolan-y" of those films. I don't know who wrote TDKR, but the film's twist, especially in hindsight, was not as well written as the twist in Batman Begins or the chaos that ensued in TDK.

The action pieces were -- of course -- spectacular. Except for the whole Bane giving an election speech over the pointless destruction of Gotham's football stadium. So much whocares.txt. I honestly thought it was hokey in the preview but just rode the hype ride out. I'm on a tangent, aren't I?

Quote:

Have yet to see Sucker Punch so haven't experienced Snyder's writing first hand.

I've heard only the kindest of things. /snicker

Quote:

Man, I really want to like the Half in the Bag guys. They lost me on their TKDR review. They loved that to death.

I don't always agree with what they say, but they do a good job just drinking delicious New Glarus beer while having opinions coming from a good place.

Quote:

Thought Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman had a good discussion between two guys with very different views on the film. (If you know about Smith's experience with trying to write Superman previously, the tentacle machine is pretty funny. I'm just hoping that was a nod to Brainiac, and maybe setting him up, since similar to how his ship is portrayed.)

And this one more played for laughs:

Nice...I think it's fair to say that Man of Steel had some great bits, and depending on what you want in your movie, it could have worked or it could have missed. For me, it really missed. I feel like I'd rather just grab a comic, or more specifically some crossover that features Superman + the rest of the DC crew. I also enjoy the animated series, and I should get back into those.

In the end, my above rant was slightly hyperbolic, but I hope the next Superman movie is AT THE VERY LEAST a bit more fun.

BreakABone 07-31-2013 11:04 AM

This never ends well, but what the heck

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerGremlin (Post 285665)
There were two good scenes though. The oil rig scene was BADASS. My heart was pounding during that. That was some good shit. The other scene that was well done was the scene when the kids were bullying young Clark, and he just took the abuse...and the bullies walk away, and you see what Clark did to the fence. I thought that was an awesome scene that really conveyed message/meaning. You know...like a movie is supposed to.

I agree and disagree
I think the rig scene was cool, but in the grand scheme of things should have been cut for time and pacing since it adds nothing to the film.

Also same thing with the bullying scene, or swap it out with the scene at the bar. Both of them were around for the same purpose, Clark doesn't use his powers for people being asses because he knows he can hurt/kill them.

Quote:

The scene where Kevin Costner committed self-mutilation by tornado was probably the dumbest thing I've seen on the big screen since Waterworld. I'm not saying that Kevin Costner should feel bad for being a mediocre B-List actor with no talent that no one gives a shit about, but seriously, if he ever sees a tornado in real life....(I understand that he didn't actually write that awful scene, I'm just saying).
This scene... and kind of Pa Kent was strange in this movie.
I get wanting to protect his son and all that, but Clark could have zipped over there, grabbed him in a blink of an eye and no one would have been the wiser.
Heck, people would probably chalk it up to being stressed from the storm
I don't mind Pa Kent dying, but I always felt the lesson should be that with all his great powers, there are some things that not even Clark/Superman can defeat. His dying a natural death is that

Him choosing to sacrifice himself while his son watched is just weird.

Quote:

The best action scene in this movie was the fight in the small desert town where Superman was being thrown into trains, and trains were being thrown into Superman, and that general chick was kicking ass. That was some cool shit.
I agree
It also had the most emotional backing with them threatening his mother and the humans still not sure what to make of him.

Quote:

The stuff at the end of the movie was so...yawn. Pretentious and boring. And what the fuck was with that tentacle world destroyer thing? Can you talk about forced nonsense for the sake of being forced nonsense? Not only was that scene boring as hell, but it made no sense.
I wouldn't say boring, but so little personal investment.
Less so with the tentacle business
And more to do with the crew of the planet being stuck because up to that point none of them were given enough screentime to be of importance to me
I didn't even know the lady's name until that scene!
So I was just asking myself, why should I care?

Quote:

This must be a Nolan thing...apparently what passes for "Superhero" these days is the massive destruction of cities. It's funny, because we saw Bane do some serious damage to Gotham, and now we see Zod destroy half of New York/Metropolis...and it couldn't be any less exciting. The end of The Dark Knight was ten times more intense than this fake bullshit. And seriously, did you know that the black guy from The Matrix was in this new Superman movie? Yeah, he's like running from lasers and falling buildings and shit, because apparently The Wachowski Brothers couldn't afford to pay for him to continue to lead people down the rabbit hole, or whatever.
I'm up in the air about the destruction thing.
I'll give him a pass since its his first real mission, but I really do think its a plot point they need to follow up with in the sequel.

Which is why I think Luthor would be a great foe for it, as much as I'm in no hurry to have him in ANOTHER Superman flick.

Quote:

I guess my final gripe will be with Lois Lane. First off, it's a good god damn coincidence that Kryptonians or whatever they are called look like humans. You'd think that Superman, an alien who can see people's freaky bones, would want nothing to do with a lady or her lady bits. But what do I know. Interspecies erotica here we come. Like most of these movies, I thought Lois was kind of underdeveloped. Her bravery (not to be confused with being an empowered woman) was more of a plot vehicle for some confusing bullshit on that spaceship. Also, apparently Zod and the Kryptonites are so smart they can build a spaceship that can block out the radiation from the sun and create a fake atmosphere, but they can't save their exploding planet.
I liked this Lois
I think because so much of her plot point is kind of independent of Superman.

Sure, she is chasing a ghost that turns out to be him, but I like that it isn't just her pining after this Superman, but being a thorough reporter, who does eventually track down his secret identity.

Also think she's cute

Quote:

Once the action/nostalgia boner wares off, this movie is going to age like dogshit. Nolan needs to stop writing these clunkers. He had two winners in Batman Begins/TDK. Quit while you're ahead.
Nolan had nothing to do with the writing of this film.
On an official level, I think there were some points where he reigned in Synder... I can't remember which scene exactly, but know spoke of it in an interview heard after the movie came out

KillerGremlin 08-01-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakABone (Post 285670)
I think the rig scene was cool, but in the grand scheme of things should have been cut for time and pacing since it adds nothing to the film.

Also same thing with the bullying scene, or swap it out with the scene at the bar. Both of them were around for the same purpose, Clark doesn't use his powers for people being asses because he knows he can hurt/kill them.

I thought the oil rig scene was more engaging than the city destruction stuff, I feel like they could have edited down some of the ending and yeah. I preferred the fence scene vs. the bar scene, because as an adolescent you're more likely to act out...I feel like the bar scene was still a lot of fun though, one of the few scenes that gave a sly wink like, "dude, having super powers is fucking AWESOME."

Quote:

Also think she's cute

She's hot. Jim from The Office made a huge mistake.

Quote:

Nolan had nothing to do with the writing of this film.
On an official level, I think there were some points where he reigned in Synder... I can't remember which scene exactly, but know spoke of it in an interview heard after the movie came out

I don't know how much of this was Nolan/Snyder/Goyer

I'm gonna have to watch this film again, and I kind of think a Director's Cut might add some flow to this film.

I thought The Dark Knight was awesome, despite the mild dragging with the Bane-speech-election-destruction scene. The opener was awesome, Catwoman was awesome, Bane was awesome...

That part on the plane where Bane says: "NO! They expect one of us in the wreckage, brother."

I mean, yeah the movie had some issues and it wasn't the mindfuck of awesome that The Dark Knight was, but yeah.

Hopefully the sequel to Man of Steel will be better...and seems like a lot of the second movies in comic series are the best.