GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   X-men First Class (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21419)

BreakABone 01-18-2011 02:37 PM

X-men First Class

Because there just aren't enough superhero movies...

Professor S 01-18-2011 02:48 PM

Re: X-men First Class

Is this a movie or a series on the CW?

Looks like shit.

Angrist 01-18-2011 03:26 PM

Is it a fanmade trailer?

Teuthida 01-19-2011 10:43 PM

Ginkasa 01-20-2011 04:06 AM

This looks horrible. Not excited.

Teuthida 01-20-2011 10:57 AM

Matthew Vaughn, the film's director, on the full cast image:
Quote:

I freaked out on them yesterday. I don't know where the hell that came from. I don?t think it's a Fox image. It's not a pre-approved image. When I found out, I said, what the fuck is this shit, and Fox is running around trying to figure out what happened as well.
And the costumes:
Quote:

The costumes are blue and yellow as well, because fuck it, lets take it back it the original. Also, by the way, those costumes are hardly in the movie. The main costumes are like these cool 60’s James Bond…

Professor S 01-20-2011 03:54 PM

The new photos make me feel a lot better about this, but the one with magneto's helmet? Ugh.

The biggest problem is that Fox is behind the project. They've found a way to fuck up anything X-Men since Singer left. I like Vaughn as a director, but I have no confidence in the suits that will be making the final decisions. Marvel should be in control of this.

Teuthida 01-20-2011 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doobie doobie doo...

KillerGremlin 01-21-2011 07:28 PM

Oh man this looks like shit.

I'll take "how to top Wolverine Origins" for 500.

Angrist 01-22-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 274738)
Doobie doobie doo...

Awesome. This thread needs more photoshopping.

Teuthida 01-22-2011 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You're right, it does.

BreakABone 02-10-2011 05:58 PM

The first trailer.
Doesn't look bad.

TheSlyMoogle 02-20-2011 12:34 PM

It's based off this Short release of comics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:_First_Class

BreakABone 04-27-2011 07:59 PM

http://youtu.be/jBJP-kANUFY

Movie is looking real good

Teuthida 05-05-2011 03:32 PM

Banshee

Havok

Beast

Professor S 05-05-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 276236)

Oh no... now I'm starting to get excited about this movie. It looks really good. I love Banshee's effects... oh no...

Teuthida 05-06-2011 02:08 PM

Awwww, little Mystique.

Angrist 05-06-2011 06:02 PM

Aren't you afraid that the story will be terrible? I hope it won't, because I like action hero movies...

BreakABone 06-03-2011 12:44 AM

Oh gawd, I've never had so much crow served at once.

The movie was so damn good. Perhaps my favorite X-men movie ever. And that's saying a lot since X-2 is in top 3 comic book movies for me.

WOW

Vampyr 06-03-2011 09:38 AM

So it's looking like this movie has exceeded all expectations.

I'm going to go watch it Sunday, for sure.

Vampyr 06-04-2011 11:39 PM

I went and saw it a day earlier than planned.

Sweet crap this movie is good. Acting is spot on perfect, especially Michael Fassbender. Kevin Bacon and James McAvoy were really good as well.

The ending was probably the most satisfying and well done of any that I have seen in a long while. The lengths that they went to to make it fit in with both the universe and the other movies was so well done too.

Favorite scene was the entire sequence in the bar in Argentina. Close second is the Wolverine cameo.

edit: Actually, one thing I didn't like: Where was the Stan Lee cameo?!

KillerGremlin 06-06-2011 12:04 AM

It was good...better than X1 and X3 and Wolverine...

Maybe it is because it is the umpteenth comic movie I have seen, but I felt it was a little underwhelming. Now I feel like Magneto deserved a proper fleshing out, and this movie delivered on all fronts. So I would recommend this for the Magneto back story alone.

I liked it a lot, and I would even enjoy a proper sequel or further exploration of the young X-Men universe. But still, a bit underwhelming for me.

I guess it did defy all expectations though, since the movie looked like shit since it was green lighted and it turned out to be a 2 thumbs up film.

Teuthida 06-09-2011 04:21 AM

It was quite good. That training montage made me wish this was actually a television series. Wanted more of that. I really like how they easily explained, and hinted with a wink and a nod, number of things like Beast being blue, Xavier losing the use of his legs, his future baldness, Magneto's helmet, the codenames, cerebro, the blackbird, Mystique's aging, etc. And there's something about Mystique and Xavier growing up together that I just really liked.

TheSlyMoogle 06-16-2011 03:53 PM

The only thing that bothered me about the movie is the lack of Professor X having a stepbrother. AKA The Juggernaut bitch. :(

Interested to see if they still add him later.

Teuthida 07-08-2011 10:46 AM

Donald90 08-17-2011 08:01 AM

I liked this Movie the whole concept of showing X-Men from the beginning

Angrist 09-20-2011 07:43 AM

I finally got around seeing this. W.o.a.h. Amazing.

Professor S 09-21-2011 09:48 AM

I thought this movie was on the verge of being truly great, but never quite got there. Still one o the best comic movies ever made, but not up to the level of Spiderman 2 or The Dark Knight. I view this more along the lines of Batman Begins.

Vampyr 09-21-2011 09:52 AM

You're saying Spiderman 2 was better than Batman Begins? :ohreilly:

Professor S 09-21-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampyr (Post 278643)
You're saying Spiderman 2 was better than Batman Begins? :ohreilly:

Yes. Spiderman 2 is probably the best pure comic book movie ever made. The Dark Knight is the best movie ever made based on a comic book (if that makes sense).

Don't get me wrong, Batman Begins is a great movie, but for me it's third best.

Angrist 09-22-2011 03:17 AM

That's funny. In my opinion:

Spider-Man 1 > 2
Batman Begins >>> The Dark Knight
X-Men 1 > X-Men 2

What can I say? I like openings better than sequels?

Oh 1 thing I didn't like about First Class was Kevin Bacon. I know he has his own game and all... but his character was a bit annoying and silly.

Teuthida 09-22-2011 11:34 AM

Batman > Spider-Man > X-Men > Spider-Man 2 > X2 > Batman Returns > Batman Forever > The Dark Knight > X3 > Spider-man 3 > Wolverine Origins > Batman & Robin > Batman Begins > Catwoman

KillerGremlin 09-22-2011 04:54 PM

Spider-Man 2 is pretty amazing, I just wish the CGI held up a little better.

Maybe it's too early to make this observation, but The Dark Knight isn't loaded with CGI so it seems like the action holds up much better.

In fact, I've argued this many times: the reason that Nolan's Batman movies are so good is because he finds clever ways to NOT SHOW comic action, which makes the movie avoid bad CGI and campy fighting scenes.

I think Sin City is my top pick for best most-comic-book inspired comic movie.

Professor S 09-22-2011 10:27 PM

I suppose I rate comic movies by standards. Keep in mind, I consider all of these movies to be good:

Gold

The Dark Knight, Spiderman 2

Silver

Batman, Batman Begins, X-Men 2, Superman 2 (original), X-Men First Class, American Splendor

Bronze

X-Men, Superman, Spiderman, Iron Man, The Rocketeer (yes, I think it is underrated), Road to Perdition, Sin City, Hellboy, Hellboy 2, Watchmen, 300, A History of Violence.

Note: I have not seen Captain America or Thor. I thought Kick-Ass was idiotic.