GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   FAQ (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Semi-announcement: Forums as "Read" (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18260)

Dyne 06-02-2008 07:20 PM

Semi-announcement: Forums as "Read"

Hey guys, I just turned on an option to use the database as something to mark your threads as read, instead of the old "inactivity" cookie-based system used since the first vB. If you notice any problems, please tell us in this thread.

I think you might have noticed that any thread ever has turned unread - if you could simply go to the top right of the forum display page and click quick links -> and "Mark All Forums as Read", that should solve the problem. :) However, please only do this after you've read today's posts, or else you'll lose their unread markings.

Aladuf 06-02-2008 07:29 PM

Re: Semi-announcement: Forums as "Read"

Does this explain why when I click the icon to "go to newest post" it sends me back to way earlier in the thread or the beginning of the thread? I was wondering because that just started happening when I clicked it a few minutes ago.

Dyne 06-02-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aladuf (Post 226189)
Does this explain why when I click the icon to "go to newest post" it sends me back to way earlier in the thread or the beginning of the thread? I was wondering because that just started happening when I clicked it a few minutes ago.

Yes, exactly. It's started making entries individually for each and every one of you so it knows what you've read and what you haven't read. Unfortunately, the limit right now is 10 days so that's why threads from 10 days ago are now unread. :)

Aladuf 06-02-2008 07:36 PM

Ok, gotcha.

Dyne 06-03-2008 03:59 PM

Well, it looks like smooth sailing from here on out. Reading is definitely improved. Let me know if you guys have any feedback. :)

Angrist 06-04-2008 04:39 AM

I don't really like the system. There are always many threads that I don't read. Now I have to 'mark forums read' after each session.

I preferred the other system, but I can live with this. :)

Dyne 06-04-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 226879)
I don't really like the system. There are always many threads that I don't read. Now I have to 'mark forums read' after each session.

I preferred the other system, but I can live with this. :)

You don't have to read those threads - they get marked as "read" in 10 days.

Should I set it to something smaller like 5 days then?

jeepnut 06-04-2008 11:30 PM

Did Jim remove all our buttons from his image hosting?

Aladuf 06-04-2008 11:32 PM

nah, you can't remove images from tinypic.

Renwood 06-05-2008 02:44 AM

I don't care for it. It makes switching off between multiple computers confusing.

Angrist 06-05-2008 02:50 AM

5 or 10 days doesn't matter for me. I just don't like it when half of the threads are still in bold. Makes it hard to see what threads are new and what not.
I don't assume you can go with both systems and let members choose?