GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Conan O'Brian's back (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19814)

Typhoid 06-01-2009 07:41 PM

Conan O'Brian's back

Tonight is his first show back.
Who's watching?

KillerGremlin 06-01-2009 07:48 PM

Re: Conan O'Brian's back

Me. I think...haha. I love Conan.

Jason1 06-01-2009 08:08 PM

I've been waiting for this for a long time. I will be glued to the Television. Im very excited.

The Germanator 06-01-2009 08:47 PM

When I watched the late night shows I always loved Conan, but those shows don't do much for me these days. I may watch some this because it's a special event, but I'll probably only flip to it if the Phillies are losing or something.

EDIT: Well, I'm watching it. I remembered now why this is so awesome because it means Conan on a whole hour earlier and that Leno is nowhere to be seen (for now) Leno is the worst. I know he's getting the 10 PM slot, but whatever, I'm glad he's gone for now.

Professor S 06-02-2009 07:59 AM

I thought he did a good job. Glad to see Andy Richter back on the show. Will Ferrell was meh.

My hope is that he can get to use his unique sense of humor (his interactions with people are the best) but also get that feeling of unpredictability back and comedic timing that was present during Johnny Carson. Johnny had the ability to be both socially acceptable on a wide scale and borderline edgy at times, especially in the old days when people used to drink in the green room and smoke on the air.

I think Conan can bring that feeling of "must see or you'll miss it" back to the Tonight Show.

Neo 06-02-2009 03:22 PM

The comedy skits were classic Conan gold. Cir-cle! Cir-cle! He looked a little nervous during the initial monologue, pacing more than usual and pausing uncharacteristically long between comments. I'm sure he'll settle down soon.

It was a definite ratings hit. Over twice the viewership of a standard Tonight Show episode.

KillerGremlin 06-02-2009 04:19 PM

I'm so glad Conan is back on TV. Jimmy Fallon is not improving and now I can just watch Conan and then Ferguson.

Conan did seem a bit nervous at first but he calmed down and the crowd was definitely supportive. The circle skit was gold and so was the opening skit where he ran from New York to Hollywood. I also appreciate them keeping Max Weinberg and the Max Weinberg 7.

manasecret 06-02-2009 04:42 PM

The Tonight Show Band you mean. That is what you meant, right? There is no such thing as the Max Weinberg 7. That might confuse those transitioning from Leno.

Loved the episode. The NY->LA skit and the tourbus skit were very funny. I'm sitting here chuckling at the thought of the "WHY? WHY, STEVE? WHY???!"

He was a little nervous, but that will pass quickly. Will Farrell's bit about no one ever thinking Conan would make it here, was very funny.

Pearl Jam? Ah, some things never change. Turning the show off as the band comes on looks like it will still be the routine.

Typhoid 06-02-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manasecret (Post 251797)
Pearl Jam? Ah, some things never change. Turning the show off as the band comes on looks like it will still be the routine.

Pearl Jam was on to promote their new album. No other reason.
Plus Pearl Jam is good.

Anyways, I thought the episode was really good.
I like how the nightly line-up will now be Leno, Conan and Fallon.

I actually think Fallon has improved a lot, and the people who say he hasn't clearly are just being biased because they've been watching Conan for 10 years.
Fallon's episode last night was rather hilarious.

And I'm glad to see Andy Richter back with Conan, although he didn't really do much last night - but that might just be because it was the first night. I did like the Richter-laughtrack though. He seems to laugh at everything, every 5 seconds. But he only laughs for about 2 seconds then abruptly stops.

Jonbo298 06-03-2009 12:01 AM

I'm loving his second show moreso then the first one. First was good for a first, but the second is better, IMO.

manasecret 06-03-2009 09:53 AM

Pearl Jam is good but the acoustics or volume on the mic was bad. I could barely hear him sing over the din.

Also, they're getting old. :p They were (trying to) be hardcore by jumping around and head-banging with their guitars, but really, c'mon, you're old, Pearl Jam. Maybe that's a detriment of having HDTV.. :lol:

KillerGremlin 06-03-2009 03:38 PM

I love the Obama interview where he discusses the transition from Leno to Conan. Hilarious second episode.

Jonbo298 06-03-2009 08:47 PM

I honestly did not expect them to get Brian Williams and Obama to mention that in the interview. I expected them to pull a "Jay" and use the one sided QA approach.

Vampyr 06-03-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manasecret (Post 251879)
Pearl Jam is good but the acoustics or volume on the mic was bad. I could barely hear him sing over the din.

Also, they're getting old. :p They were (trying to) be hardcore by jumping around and head-banging with their guitars, but really, c'mon, you're old, Pearl Jam. Maybe that's a detriment of having HDTV.. :lol:

Yeah, I think his mic was completely broken or something. heh.

Awesome to have Conan back on though, loving the new show.

manasecret 06-04-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonbo298 (Post 251944)
I honestly did not expect them to get Brian Williams and Obama to mention that in the interview. I expected them to pull a "Jay" and use the one sided QA approach.

That was awesome. And the 2nd episode was much funnier. Tom Hanks is a riot, I had no idea.

"Bro a No No for the CoCo?" Haha classic, and I think Hanks probably made that into an inside joke that will last for the rest of Conan's run.

I've got the series recording on DVR, so hopefully I can keep up with his season. Alas, now with a 8-5 job, staying up even to 11:30 is pushing it...