GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   The Men Who Stare at Goats (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20294)

Fox 6 11-03-2009 11:07 AM

The Men Who Stare at Goats

This looks pretty funny, and its out this week! Anyone else going to see this?

Angrist 11-03-2009 11:32 AM

Re: The Men Who Stare at Goats

Fortunately I could stop the video before I saw the goat die.

Fox 6 11-03-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 259618)
Fortunately I could stop the video before I saw the goat die.

Pretty sure hes not killing it, just knocking it out.

Ginkasa 11-03-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox 6 (Post 259628)
Pretty sure hes not killing it, just knocking it out.

Everywhere I've read they're meant to be killing the goats.

KillerGremlin 11-03-2009 03:35 PM

What's up with the goats? Is this some US Government experiment thing from the 60s or something? In No One Lives Forever (one of my favorite PC games...) they have a bunch of jokes and allusions to goats:

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Teuthida 11-03-2009 10:35 PM

There was a British documentary about this (think it went hand in hand with the book) which I saw a couple years ago on Youtube. Weird stuff but not as cornbally as this movie looks. That said, can't wait. :)

Seth 11-06-2009 03:00 AM

KG, would you say the first NOLF is as good as the 2nd? I've played the sequel but not the first.

Professor S 11-06-2009 09:07 AM

Just soi you know, the goats that were used were likely a breed that are known to pass out in times of stress. I'm sure no goats were harmed.

Fox 6 11-06-2009 10:30 AM

They might be CG tho.

Combine 017 11-06-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor S (Post 259737)
Just soi you know, the goats that were used were likely a breed that are known to pass out in times of stress. I'm sure no goats were harmed.

Thats what I was thinking before but im pretty sure they are CG.

Vampyr 11-06-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerGremlin (Post 259638)
What's up with the goats? Is this some US Government experiment thing from the 60s or something? In No One Lives Forever (one of my favorite PC games...) they have a bunch of jokes and allusions to goats:

Anyone care to enlighten me?

I think it was a government project sometimes in the 60s where they were trying to develop soldiers who could control things with their minds or something.

Apparently they had the soldiers in one room concentrating on a goat in another room, and one of the goats collapsed.

Fox 6 11-08-2009 03:30 AM

Saw this tonight, it was pretty funny. Though there was a lot of mention of Star Wars stuff for an Ewen McGregor movie that isnt star wars.

KillerGremlin 11-14-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth (Post 259735)
KG, would you say the first NOLF is as good as the 2nd? I've played the sequel but not the first.

The second has more refined gameplay and they fixed some of the annoying stealth issues. But the first game is much funnier, has a better story, better characters, better exchanges of dialog, better jokes, and a better atmosphere IMO.

So from a gameplay standpoint I'd probably rank NOLF2 slightly higher but if you enjoy dialog and wit the first game is better.