GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Video Gaming (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sleeper Hits: PSX (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20768)

magus113 04-05-2010 03:18 PM

Sleeper Hits: PSX

Sleeper Hits

What is a sleeper hit exactly? Let's wiki it!

Quote:

A sleeper hit, a.k.a. surprise hit (often simply called a "sleeper"), refers to a film, book, single, album, TV show, or video game that gains unexpected success or recognition.
So post some of the sleepers, and while the definition says they also acheive success, let's look for cult classics as well that stayed under the radar but are still special to you.

I'll start!

The Lunar Series

Most games from Working Designs are usually very successful and also rare and Lunar is no exception. These remakes of the Sega CD classics are great fun, and also not very well known! I suggest checking them out if you know someone who has them.

Klonoa!

Recently remade on the Wii, this is a classic platformer that who knows many knew about.

Keep the list going and if it's successful we can talk about other consoles too. I love this kind of stuff.

Typhoid 04-05-2010 03:47 PM

Re: Sleeper Hits: PSX

I actually can't think of any PS1 games I loved a lot that would even be considered sleepers.
I never had a PS1, so maybe that's why. :ohreilly:

BreakABone 04-05-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 266441)
I actually can't think of any PS1 games I loved a lot that would even be considered sleepers.
I never had a PS1, so maybe that's why. :ohreilly:

Kind of in the same boat, we owned a PSX, but it was all of ours so mainly didn't get many games for it on my own.

I do own Klonoa but only the Wii-make.

I don't know if Suikoden 2 counts as a sleeper hit since it is pretty well known.

I guess WCW vs the World, since it generally gets ignored for all the sequels that were released on the n64.

Typhoid 04-05-2010 03:59 PM

I will say one of my favourite sleeper hits for the N64 was "WCW Vs NWO Revenge."

Me and Dylan had good times renaming all the characters and doing a 40 man battle royale. I think that's all w ever did with that game.

magus113 04-05-2010 04:09 PM

I'd have to say the very first Suikoden was a big sleeper hit, and it definitely led to the success of II.

I think the Arc the Lad Collection is another good example of a sleeper hit for the PSX as well. The only issue with that game was that the collection itself was a lot of money.

Also, Vagrant Story. A little more well known but definitely has a much bigger cult following.

I also tend to think that most PSX sleepers are actually RPGs.

Except for maybe Tai Fu: Wrath of the Tiger. My cousin had that and that was retarded fun for some reason.

KillerGremlin 04-07-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 266443)
I will say one of my favourite sleeper hits for the N64 was "WCW Vs NWO Revenge."

Me and Dylan had good times renaming all the characters and doing a 40 man battle royale. I think that's all w ever did with that game.

Man, I'm not into the wrestling culture or whatever, but I have to say that game was pretty fun. My neighbor had it, and when we didn't have 4 players for Goldeneye we would play that.

TheGame 04-08-2010 08:40 PM

I liked Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy more... Had some epic battles in No mercy.

I can't name many Psx sleeper hits off hand, because it's hard to put it into context how popular those games were back then. But I will say, the game that suprised me the most was Xenogears. I litterally knew nothing about that game before I played it, and I didn't even really have set expectations for an RPG.

Also, I was a big fan of Tekken 2/3, and I actually liked the Need for Speed games back them.