GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Music (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Over/Under: Led Zeppelin (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20895)

KillerGremlin 05-02-2010 03:12 PM

Over/Under: Led Zeppelin

I've decided to focus on artists instead of albums, since it seems like the general discussion drifts in that direction anyway.

So.....dun dun dun! The moment you have all been waiting for.

Today's over or under is a band that the whole world knows. Just in the Chicagoland area alone, 3 or 4 radio stations have programming dedicated to Led Zeppelin. Chicago's The Loop has "get your Led out." Other stations do a Zeppelin song at the top of every hour. Zeppelin (along with The Beatles and Nirvana) is maybe the only band you can hear on 3 or 4 radio stations: at the same time.

Zeppelin has an interesting career with the controversially unoriginal, self-titled, Led Zeppelin (I). Then there is Led Zeppelin IV, or Zoso, which is the band's most played album featuring songs we have all heard a bajillion times:

And MY personal favorite song off IV, and IMO one of Zeppelin's top 5 songs by a loooooooooong shot...actually this is one of metal's best songs:

After Zeppelin IV we have the somewhat underrated Led Zeppelin II, and the unfortunately underrated Led Zeppelin III which I grew to like more and more after I wore IV out. Also notable are Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, and to a lesser extent Presence. Finally, the band wrapped up with In Through the Out Door and Coda.

Zeppelin's popularity has been cemented, for sure. They still get frequent radio play. Their legacy in rock and roll is solid. Taking into consideration the band's overall originality, their influence in music, and annoying hipster college kids who still wear Zeppelin T-shirts, does every think Zeppelin is Over/Under?

BreakABone 05-02-2010 06:49 PM

Re: Over/Under: Led Zeppelin

I'm gonna say over, I know music is all about personal choice.

And I've tried to listen to their discography so often, but I just can't like their music. :(

magus113 05-02-2010 07:45 PM

No Quarter and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp are my favorite Zep tunes. I find a lot of their songs to be over-rated but not so much the band themselves.

There are a lot of under-appreciated tunes of theirs.

Swan 05-02-2010 11:35 PM

I actually think that Zep is perfectly rated in society. A great band that influenced so much music. Sure they have songs that are played too much and have lots of hidden gems but fuck....its Zeppelin

Typhoid 05-03-2010 04:43 AM

I agree.
I think Zeppelin is perfectly rated.
That being said I absolutely love Led Zeppelin. A lot.

Professor S 05-03-2010 11:52 AM

To this day they are the only band who I feel never recorded a bad song. When I have my Droid on shuffle, I never find myself skipping one of their songs.

OVER.

BreakABone 05-03-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor S (Post 268186)
To this day they are the only band who I feel never recorded a bad song. When I have my Droid on shuffle, I never find myself skipping one of their songs.

OVER.

That... doesn't make sense, they are over-rated because you think they never recorded a bad song? :confused:

The Germanator 05-03-2010 01:09 PM

Yeah, that's extremely confusing, I think you got your words mixed up there.

As for me, I don't have much of an opinion. Never really had or cared to have a Led Zeppelin faze of my life. I'm fairly indifferent to them, though I acknowledge they have a lot of influence.

Typhoid 05-03-2010 03:58 PM

I took the "over" as "Conversation over" instead of "over rated". :ohreilly:

Professor S 05-03-2010 10:39 PM

UNDER

Angrist 05-04-2010 08:55 AM

For me definately underrated. I think I only know 2 of their songs.
I should listen to more. :)

KillerGremlin 05-05-2010 02:37 AM

To clarify:

We are reflecting on the bands from today's point of view. This can include comparing the band's work to today's music, looking at current fans of the band, or revisiting the music and deciding if you now have a different opinion of it than you did when you first heard it.

Over = the band is overrated by today's standards, for whatever reason you want to argue/defend.

Under = the band is underrated by today's standard, for whatever reason you want to argue/defend.

For me, I think Zeppelin's iconic stuff is perfectly rated. Zeppelin IV, overplayed as it is, occupies that perfect niche in rock'n'roll.

I do think Zeppelin is UNDER when it comes to Zeppelin III, Physical Graffiti and even Houses of the Holy, three awesome awesome albums.

Zeppelin is a band that college kids cover poorly on their guitar: namely Stairway to Heaven. What guitar-wielding douche bag in college HASN'T played a horrible cover of Stairway to heaven.

My verdict: UNDER with a little bit of JUST RIGHT thrown in for good measure.

Angrist 05-06-2010 09:35 AM

I can't say anything about "today's standards", because I don't know how Led Zeppelin is regarded. All I know is that I don't know them that good enough.

Typhoid 05-06-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 268349)
I can't say anything about "today's standards", because I don't know how Led Zeppelin is regarded. All I know is that I don't know them that good enough.

They're regarded as basically one of, if not the best band of all time with ridiculous staying power.

Swan 05-07-2010 01:19 AM

And they were one of the first bands to rock the fuck out with a mudshark