GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   The Walking Dead: The Television Series (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20033)

Teuthida 08-13-2009 12:14 AM

The Walking Dead: The Television Series

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

Professor S 08-13-2009 08:40 AM

Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

1) It's about goddamn time (yay!)

2) It's on AMC? (boo)

I have serious concerns whether or not a non-premium cable channel can do this series justice. There isn't a lot of gore in The Walking Dead, but when there is gore, it is purposeful and GRAPHIC. I mean unflinchingly graphic. Last House of the Left (the original) graphic. And I think it's utterly crucial to the storytelling. I really hope HBO or Showtime would have picked this up.

Oh well, it will be interesting in any case, and AMC has a good track record with their series, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

KillerGremlin 08-18-2009 06:51 PM

Yeaaaahhh, The Walking Dead could be good on TV. I'm curious how pacing will work though for TV-format. The comic is somewhat unevenly paced. The show has a huge potential to expand upon the introduction, draw out living on the outskirts of an infected city, draw out the trip to the prison, and CONDENSE the time spent at the prison (or possibly add a few sideplots or something). The comic is really good but it has some flaws.

I also agree that they need to respect the gore...but that is kind of implied with the whole zombie thing, right?

BreakABone 08-19-2009 02:37 PM

Yeah curious how much they will create on their own. I mean the comic is just north of 60 issues, and at best I could see it being condensed to maybe 20-25 episodes or so. Unless they really want to drag out a 20 page issue into a full 20 minute show or even hour long episodes.

Swan 08-19-2009 06:15 PM

I highly doubt they will make it an issue an episode, I need to reread but I could see it being done easily in 2 seasons.

Maybe 15 eps a season?

KillerGremlin 08-19-2009 07:28 PM

Let's refresh all the major plot points....

-Rick wakes up from his coma to find a desolate hospital and world
-Rick goes home, finds Morgan, gets supplies at Police Station
-Rick heads into city, finds people, finds his Wife, Son and his "best friend" Shane
-They set up the camper and live life a little
-Drama between Rick and Shane
-They leave campsite
-They travel on the road...they find a comfy gated neighborhood...they set up camp....
-They travel on the road
-They find the prison
-The Governor sideplot
-Prison attack
-Rick and his son
-Meet more people/trip to Washington DC

Now, the cool thing that the TV show could do is show various stories that occur at the same time. It is my opinion that the comic draws out some of the Issues in the prison.

I personally think they could squeeze a whole season (15 Episodes-ish) out of everything up to the prison attack. That would be my suggested logical endpoint for a season. The question is where do you go from there?

The show is bound to fail anyway. I thought about this. The Governor torture sequence? Zombies ripping people apart? Psychotic prison murderer guy? Suicide? Sex? The comic has all of it.

BreakABone 04-06-2010 02:24 PM

Okay so the show has been picked up for 6 episodes, and Rick Grimes has been cast.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=25600

BreakABone 06-02-2010 01:26 PM

First look

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...ion-begins.php

Teuthida 06-02-2010 11:41 PM

Almost forgot there are zombies in the series.

Fox 6 06-10-2010 11:29 PM

First promotional photo, looking good.

Teuthida 06-16-2010 01:21 PM

Mr. Rick Grimes.

Teuthida 07-24-2010 07:17 PM

Teuthida 07-28-2010 07:07 PM

Pretty funny interview with Robert Kirkman.

BreakABone 08-24-2010 01:58 PM

Here's the proper trailer

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=27977

The show will debut on Oct 31st (of course) at 10pm on AMC.

Looks awesome.

The Germanator 08-24-2010 10:15 PM

Trailer looks great. I honestly know nothing of the comic, but I'm fond of AMC's track record for original TV, so I'll definitely watch. Also, anything with a Halloween premiere is awesome.

TheSlyMoogle 08-29-2010 02:41 PM

Wow that looks really good. I haven't read the comic either. So thanks Killer for slightly spoiling some stuff for me :D

But I'll watch the show.

Angrist 08-29-2010 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trailer looks good, but the story sounds so cliché. Zombie outbreak, looking for family, heading for military camp.

The zombie-covered tank scene was nice.

Edit: here's a picture of my ocarina!

Teuthida 08-29-2010 09:03 PM

I actually forgot how 28DaysLaterish it starts off. But the basic premise of the comic is what it's like to try to live during a zombie apocalypse that never ends whereas in most movies the people escape (and don't know what becomes of them) or die. In the comic you actually forget about the zombies every so often because it's more a human drama than anything else.

Teuthida 10-27-2010 03:22 PM

Skip to 32 min in for the Robert Kirkman show. Hilarious.

Plus cast and crew from the Walking Dead get ambushed.

Typhoid 10-28-2010 01:23 AM

I really want to watch this show.
Has it been on for a while?
Is it on now?
What channel does it air on?
What time is it on?

Dear Science I must know.

BreakABone 10-28-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 273170)
I really want to watch this show.
Has it been on for a while?
Is it on now?
What channel does it air on?
What time is it on?

Dear Science I must know.

It premieres this Sunday if you watched the interview.

Believe premiere is 90 minutes long and its on AMC

Acebot44 11-02-2010 12:50 AM

Just saw the first episode and am really digging this series.

Professor S 11-02-2010 09:15 AM

I think they nailed it. I love the fact that:

1) The series, like the book, looks like it will focus on the characters and not the zombies. The zombies are just the "crisis" that creates the drama; as Hitchcock called it, "the McGuffin".

2) They made the zombies sympathetic characters, victims, instead of monsters. You feel for what they once were, not what they are now. Its also reminds us of what our main characters could become, which is where the true horror lies. This is why the slow, dim zombie is so much more effective. Its hard to sympathize with a raving mad zombie trying to run you down.

Typhoid 11-02-2010 08:07 PM

What was conceived first; 28 days later, or the book/comic this show is based on? Because they both started basically the same way.

Anyways, I loved the first episode. It was so intense/suspenseful. The part where it's completely dark and he's going down the staircase was one of the most suspenseful things I've seen in anything in a long time.

Great show.

BreakABone 11-02-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 273250)
What was conceived first; 28 days later, or the book/comic this show is based on? Because they both started basically the same way.

Anyways, I loved the first episode. It was so intense/suspenseful. The part where it's completely dark and he's going down the staircase was one of the most suspenseful things I've seen in anything in a long time.

Great show.

According to Wiki, 28 Days Later was released in the UK in summer of 2002, The Walking Dead Came out sometime in 2003.

Anyhow, the show was awesome. So many moments where you thought he would get it, and then nothing.

Somehow, the killing of the zombies felt more impactful.

Teuthida 11-02-2010 10:38 PM

Found this on the IMDb board:

Quote:

It was written around the same time more or less, and the creator admitted he wasn't aware of 28DL at the time of writing. If anything, they were BOTH inspired by Day of the Triffids written in 1951, which involves a man waking up in hospital to find everyone around him is blind and society has collapsed.
Kirkman has stated that he's banned himself from consuming any Zombie related media so as not to be influenced...and that he can't wait to read The Zombie Survival Guide if he ever concludes the series.

I thought the episode was ok. Interesting to see what they changed/added/subtracted from the comic. For those keeping score, the pilot covered one and a half issues.

Swan 11-02-2010 11:07 PM

I'm really hoping they get past the first trade this season. Sure it would be a great season break but would have to be a short season.

A little vague but don't want to ruin anything for people who have not read comic

Professor S 11-03-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 273256)
I'm really hoping they get past the first trade this season. Sure it would be a great season break but would have to be a short season.

A little vague but don't want to ruin anything for people who have not read comic

Well, at their current pace they're burning through one issue every hour episode. At that rate, they will finish the first trade at the end of this six episode season.

Vampyr 11-03-2010 04:19 PM

I'm not sure how I missed this....I never saw any commercials or anything for this show.

Is the pilot the only episode that's aired so far? Is it available to watch anywhere online? (Can't really go check at work)

Angrist 11-03-2010 07:02 PM

Great episode, but too bad he lost his transport at the end.

manasecret 11-03-2010 10:08 PM

Sweet episode. I like how they just confronted some of the zombie cliche plots up front and got them out of the way. 1. Having to shoot a child. 2. Having to shoot your wife & mother of your child. 3. Finding the "salvation city". That's all I can think of at the moment, any others? I also like the pacing, and the despairing moment going into the fetal position when he is coming to grips with what happens. Plot, pacing, and dialogue is good so far.

The only thing is, I'm waiting for someone to say, "WTF??? Zombies are actually real????" I mean, do these people exist outside of our common Western movie culture? But I suppose the second episode may rectify that with the new voice from the tank radio.

Swan 11-03-2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor S (Post 273262)
Well, at their current pace they're burning through one issue every hour episode. At that rate, they will finish the first trade at the end of this six episode season.

Yeah, I recently found out season was only six episodes so that doesn't bother anymore. I had assumed it would be the same length as as a standard television season(about 16 or so)

Professor S 11-04-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manasecret (Post 273274)
The only thing is, I'm waiting for someone to say, "WTF??? Zombies are actually real????" I mean, do these people exist outside of our common Western movie culture? But I suppose the second episode may rectify that with the new voice from the tank radio.

Actually I hope they never do that. Its too much of a wink to the audience and would break the tone of the story. I think the story works much better if that universe had never heard of a zombie.

Typhoid 11-05-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manasecret (Post 273274)

Why?
Why can't viewers of today suspend logic for the entertainment value of a show?
Why does every zombie outbreak-show/movie need an explainable medical answer, and can't just be taken at face value of what it is?

People these days. :ohreilly: ;)

Angrist 11-06-2010 03:07 AM

So.... a new episode every week?

Vampyr 11-06-2010 10:32 AM

Caught the encore of the pilot last night on AMC.

It was really, really good. Looking forward to the next episode tomorrow.

BreakABone 11-08-2010 05:06 PM

Second episode was pretty cool, but think it lost something near the end.

Show isn't shying away from the gore it seems.

Angrist 11-08-2010 05:19 PM

Episode 2 was nice but not as good as the first. It was quite predictable, although they broke the prisoner-cliché I guess.

Teuthida 11-08-2010 06:22 PM

Spoilers tags are for stuff that happens in the comic.

I wasn't blown away by the first ep but I was downright disappointed by the 2nd. And more from the perspective of it being an AMC show (which I hold to higher standards) than straying so far away from the comic.

When they said they were going to change things from the comic, I thought it would be more to move things around or fix pacing issues, and any changes would be improvements. Been lurking on the IMDb boards. Every problem with the show non readers seem to have is with everything they've changed, so it's not just me nerdraging.

New characters:
Racist redneck.
A guy named T-Dog. T-Dog? Really? It was one thing if he just called himself that but I cringed when Dale referred to him by that name over the radio.
The city planner who's only purpose was to provide a couple minute sewer scene. Might as well have not even been there.
The other guy was ok I guess. Just there.

The zombies are way too cognitive. Using a rock to break the window? Climbing fences? How are they going to stay in the prison later when there was basically just one big fence protecting them?

Editing error with T-Dog. He was with them when they were chopping up the body after which Rick gives him the key. But then when everyone runs back on the roof, he's already there sitting on the ground across from Dixon where he was earlier.

Pretty bad acting all around. Though funny enough I think Rick acted more Rick like this ep. Glen is the closet to his comic book counterpart. I don't remember how Andrea acted this early.

They keep hitting us over the head with the affair. It's like every AMC show I watch they make it point for you to hate the wife. Was a lot more gradual in the comic making you wonder about what the deal with Shane was before actually revealing it.

Professor S 11-08-2010 06:59 PM

Teuth, I couldn't agree more. I don't know why they felt the need to make the changes they did. The characters the added are the so obviously tacked on and cliche when compared to those from the comic.

I'm saving hope that they will have more character development for the new characters later on, or at least use them as zombie food to push home the idea that anyone can die at any time.

And yes, the zombies are far too smart and are too much of a threat. Zombies do not use tools or climb ladders, and they DON'T FUCKING RUN.