GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Happy Hour (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Why is Georgia a f****ed up state? (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7657)

rottwylor 01-30-2004 11:01 AM

Why is Georgia a f****ed up state?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/01....ap/index.html

The Germanator 01-30-2004 11:22 AM

Re: Why is Georgia a f****ed up state?

That's stupid...there's no point. You're still teaching the same concepts, but just not using one word. Ridiculous.

Happydude 01-30-2004 11:34 AM

Quote:

It's stupid. It's like teaching gravity without using the word gravity.

what he said...

Professor S 01-30-2004 11:57 AM

If this goes through and I lived in Georgia with my kids, I would move out of state. Its about time we all woke up and realized that whether we believe in God or not, evolution is the way it is.

Accept it or get out of the way. I will not let ignorant bible beating jackasses to affect the education of my kids.

Vampyr 01-30-2004 12:03 PM

:rofl:

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Glad I dont live in Georgia.

rottwylor 01-30-2004 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Strangler
If this goes through and I lived in Georgia with my kids, I would move out of state. Its about time we all woke up and realized that whether we believe in God or not, evolution is the way it is.

Accept it or get out of the way. I will not let ignorant bible beating jackasses to affect the education of my kids.

I think I just fell in love with you... you're so... FORCEFULL and DIRECT! I think the bible bangers that are complaining about evolution should just homeschool thier children... far away.. on an island... with no return boats and no tools to make any.

TheSlyMoogle 01-30-2004 01:37 PM

Too much evidence supports evolution and all that. Creationist theories are all really unimaginable. It's just more believable that everything started out as single-celled organisms who eventually evolved into things we see today.

rottwylor 01-30-2004 02:47 PM

Well it's sort of hard for me to understand that mentality since I don't quite get how they can argue with science. Creationists believe that the earth was created only a few thousand years ago, yet they have no explanation for the dinosaurs or the early hominids. And the problem is you can't really argue with them because they're willing to refute what science has proven and instead just trust completely in their faith--which of course has no foundation in fact and is entirely heresay.

I've been through this with my neighbor, and he honestly believes that science is wrong and that the Bible is the only truth. So I just don't argue with him because any time he can't explain his own side of the discussion, he simply says, "Well, Christopher, I know in my heart that what the Lord tells me is true, and that's what faith is all about. Believing in God without the need for proof or justification."

The Germanator 01-30-2004 02:58 PM

Well, the problem here isn't that they aren't teaching evolution, they just aren't calling it evolution. It is stupid as hell, but it's better than them ignoring evolution totally.

Kitana85 01-30-2004 03:10 PM

Indeed, like what Germinator said, its better than ignoring it. My friends from Tennessee (they have since moved north) told me that there neither is taught in schools. It creates so much disagreement there, that they figure that parents can figure it out.

the change of names is stupid and no one is happy this way... then again, no one is ever happy

Perfect Stu 01-30-2004 03:29 PM

leavin on a midnight train to Georgia.../sings

*walks into random Georgia school, spraypainting lockers "EVOLUTION"*

Professor S 01-30-2004 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Germanator
Well, the problem here isn't that they aren't teaching evolution, they just aren't calling it evolution. It is stupid as hell, but it's better than them ignoring evolution totally.

My concern is that if all they are doing is changing the name, then whats the point?

I know what the point is. The point is to slowly have it removed completely. If someone has a problem with the name evolution, then its pretty safe to say that they have a problem with the entire theory of evolution. If a name can be changed, why can't an entire curriculum follow in short order?

This, my friends, would only be the beginning.

Also, ignoring evolution and creation is just a way to passify weak minded biblical literalists. There are plenty of ways to work evolution into a Christian lifestyle.

Example: God created the world/universe in 7 days... well how long is a day to God? There was no concept of time as the ay we measure time is a creation of man.

Adam and Eve: A parable that people want to take literally. Its a story of man lost his way through paradise by defying the will of God. A lesson to live life by, not a literal history that means that we are all inbred hicks.

Happydude 01-30-2004 03:51 PM

i wonder if anyone there has ever seent eh move 'Evolution'

rottwylor 01-30-2004 04:16 PM

Lets get rid of the word "gravity" and use "mysterious mystical force holds us on the planet"

Jonbo298 01-30-2004 05:03 PM

If evolution is not to be said, eventually it will be banned as a curriculum teaching (or however you want to phrase it). If it does happen eventually where any teaching of Biological Chances or Evolution is flat out banned from teaching, then future children won't know the ideas of where we came from. This is like us calling French Fries "Freedom Fries". No wonder america is getting dumber.....