GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Last movies you saw (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17099)

Vampyr 01-06-2013 10:19 AM

Re: Last movies you saw

I'm currently reading Fellowship right now, they just got to Bree and are with Strider.

Angrist 01-06-2013 04:02 PM

Awesome. When I was 17, I dreamed of reading LotR when in Ireland. Rain pouring down while you're warm inside with the book.

I might start reading the book really really fast... but I guess I should finish NSMBU and Nintendo Land first.

Teuthida 01-06-2013 07:18 PM

Tower Heist
Fun movie, though towards the end you have to disregard your knowledge of physics and the density of certain elements to keep up the enjoyment factor. Some other plotholey things as well. Never felt bored though. That's a plus. Hmm, and Ben Stiller's NY accent was a bit overdone at times.

Alien 3 (Assembly Cut)
I never saw the theatrical release so I can't comment on this being the worst of the franchise. I rather enjoyed the assembly cut. Prefer it to Aliens. The one problem is the alien didn't blend with the background as well as it could. Still, the best looking of the xenomorphs in the way it moved. The supporting cast was all great as well.

Vampyr 01-06-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 285013)
Awesome. When I was 17, I dreamed of reading LotR when in Ireland. Rain pouring down while you're warm inside with the book.

I might start reading the book really really fast... but I guess I should finish NSMBU and Nintendo Land first.

NSMBU is a trying experience. It's very good, and very difficult. I just can't bring myself to play it for long periods of time. I feel like once I pass a peak of how good I am at the game, I have to take a break for a while or I'll just die over and over.

Also I hate the ghost mansions. Never any idea where I'm going.

Angrist 01-07-2013 04:11 AM

Yeah same here, I've been playing it from time to time. It's a great game, but it's hard to get through. Which is good I guess.

Teuthida 01-09-2013 12:58 AM

Alien: Resurrection
And with that I've finished all the Alien movies (not including the AvPs). The xenomorphs looked awesome swimming. In fact other than the stupid cgi bug in the first couple of seconds of the movie, the sfx were very well done. Beyond that, it not a good movie. Felt like a parody of those that came before it.

Angrist 01-09-2013 11:54 AM

I recommend AvP2, much better than half of the Alien/Prometheus movies.

Teuthida 01-12-2013 10:02 PM

Ah, I did see the first AvP though my memory of it is hazy. One of the criticisms for the sequel is bad lighting. I watch most movies on my monitor where low light situations make it hard to see. I imagine this movie would be horrible for that. But shall see.

The Town
Quite good, but felt done before. Especially the romance aspect.

Django Unchained
I liked it. Felt awfully long and the music choices did take me out of it at times...but still good.

Slither
Fun body horror. Not much else to say. I did keep thinking about Prometheus while watching it though and how this movie made a simple to understand alien life cycle that made perfect sense.

Angrist 01-13-2013 04:00 AM

I saw AvP2 on my monitor and apparently it didn't ruin my experience. It's just a way cooler concept than AvP1, Aliens3&R and Prometheus. A human village on Earth gets overrun by Aliens, while Predators come to hunt them.

Teuthida 01-13-2013 08:30 PM

You've convinced me. Shall watch it sometime soon. With that I'll have watched every Alien and Pre- damn. I still need to watch Predators.

The Dark Knight Returns Part 2
Did not care for it. Babs goes a great job explaining why in his review for it: http://nerdsontherocks.com/dark-knig...-part-2-review

Super
I enjoyed it, though of the normal-if-a-bit-unhinged-guy-becomes-a-superhero movies I've seen, it ranks last. I did really like the ending.

If I want to be completist about it I still need to see Griff the Invisible and Defendor. Special remains my favorite.

Teuthida 01-14-2013 06:25 AM

Grabbers
"When an island off the coast of Ireland is invaded by bloodsucking aliens, the heroes discover that getting drunk is the only way to survive."
That description sold me on it, and it did not disappoint. Fun movie with some great looking critters.

Angrist 01-14-2013 12:02 PM

The Sword in the Stone. 7.5/10.
I've seen this several times when I was a kid. Now as an adult it's still a very enjoyable movie.

I've almost finished The Legend of Korra (not a movie but a series...). Good stuff, the steampunky setting was a nice surprise!

Vampyr 01-14-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 285055)
The Sword in the Stone. 7.5/10.
I've seen this several times when I was a kid. Now as an adult it's still a very enjoyable movie.

I've almost finished The Legend of Korra (not a movie but a series...). Good stuff, the steampunky setting was a nice surprise!

Best show on TV right now, IMO.

Including live action stuff like Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.

Angrist 01-14-2013 01:55 PM

I just finished the final (double) episode and it was AWESOME. :D

So I read season 2 is coming in a few months... I wonder what it will be about. I was expecting Aman to escape, but it didn't look like it.

Vampyr 01-14-2013 03:26 PM

They've teased some concept art. I think it's going to involve them leaving Republic City and going into a jungle area.