GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Happy Hour (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Nerds on the Rocks/Dual Wielding FeedBack (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20994)

Typhoid 06-29-2010 12:35 AM

Re: Dual Wielding Ep 2: The Bag-El Incident

Quote:

There's a snazzy write-up on the site, but I just wanted to point out that the Canadians call a bagel, a bag-el
I say "Bayg-l".

How the fuck do you say it. - Because saying "That's how Canadians say ____" is as ignorant as saying "Americans actually say 'yee-haw'" just because of some dude in Alabama - or, if you prefer; like saying "Black people do talk in ebonics."

uber_paddler 06-29-2010 12:51 AM

You guys are all freaks. Bag-el 4 life!

BreakABone 06-29-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 270587)
I say "Bayg-l".

How the fuck do you say it. - Because saying "That's how Canadians say ____" is as ignorant as saying "Americans actually say 'yee-haw'" just because of some dude in Alabama - or, if you prefer; like saying "Black people do talk in ebonics."

Well the difference here, other than the joking is that both Uber and Default are Canadians, and they both represent two different areas of Canada, actually the far east and far west.

So found it odd that they both said it like that.

Default 06-29-2010 04:07 PM

We're born with it, apparently

From Wikipedia:
The pronunciation and spelling of "bagel" varies among communities. In Canada, for instance, people from Toronto and Montreal, pronounce it like bay-gel, (the correct Yiddish pronunciation) -whereas people from the smaller towns of Northern Ontario and the east coast of Canada tend to pronounce the first syllable as bag-el, as in 'shopping bag' . In addition, some American bagel makers (particularly New England producer Zeppy's) spell the word "baigel", while maintaining the typical pronunciation.

So, uhh, first that's weird that someone researched this. Secondly, so there

BreakABone 06-29-2010 08:32 PM

First, its never weird when you find something on the internet. I discovered that clowns do more than bring kids joy recently....

Second, just because some of you Canadians got it wrong doesn't mean its right.

And in regards to the actual podcast, its odd that you folks mesh well together after a three week absence and only doing one show. Anthony even remedied my issue with segments just ending, though I guess next time could be done less obstructive :P

And finally in regards to the segment that dealt with Ant and I discussion. I would like to amend my statement, and say that I think graphics category should encompass all aspects.

I mean in the best interest, there should be a category for most technically sound game and most visually sound game, and they don't always have to be the same game. As he points out, games like Modern Warfare and stuff has an art style, but its so "generic" in a video game setting that it doesn't really stand out.

But on a technical level, you have to appreciate something like that. On the same hand, a game like Kirby would never win for sheer tech, but what it does with its resources creates a much more visually appealing game IMO.

So in conclusion, do away with graphics and split into visual/tech

magus113 06-30-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakABone (Post 270631)
First, its never weird when you find something on the internet. I discovered that clowns do more than bring kids joy recently....

The new, secret, and deep-rooted desires of Earl everyone.

BE AFRAID

manasecret 07-02-2010 11:15 AM

Re: Nerds on the Rocks Episode 7

I am so glad you talk about that epic douche Armond White. Can't wait to get a listen to this.

BreakABone 07-05-2010 11:45 PM

Nerds on the Rocks/ Dual Wielding 7.11.10 Planning Thread

Instead of two separate threads a week, gonna try one single thread to plan both podcasts.

This week, The Nerds will go saiyan!
Nerds on the Rocks will focus on Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood which recently concluded. I mean to make it a bit more exciting for folks, it should also be a general anime discussion.

Question of the Week: :ohreilly: To Be Determined

Cocktail Chatter: The Usual

Dual Wielding
Whatcha Been Playing? The usual gang takes us through the games they've been enjoying

News Rundown: Information to be Added

Retro/Remix Section: TBD

So feel free to suggest topics for both casts and what have you.

magus113 07-07-2010 12:23 PM

Re: Nerds on the Rocks/ Dual Wielding 7.11.10 Planning Thread

Alright so if Sunday is the recording day for Dual Wielding (usually) then I would suggest for NotR we can record Friday or Saturday at some time during the day?

I know we need to get Default and ze Paddler in on this one since we're going all out on anime (especially the amazing Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood series) so when are people free?

I'm gonna try and get tgs in on it too since FMA is a biggie for him but I can work out a time with him with no issues.

Default 07-07-2010 04:14 PM

Awesome!

I should be free Saturday morning, and the earlier the better for me (which is on PST). But I'm sure I could manage something else if that doesn't work out

uber_paddler 07-07-2010 09:16 PM

Saturday morning works best for me as well, I'll be hammered on Saturday night and hung over on Sunday.

BreakABone 07-09-2010 02:52 PM

Just so we're clear since there are 3 different time zones being represented, what time Saturday morning works for everyone?

uber_paddler 07-09-2010 04:42 PM

Nothing after like 5pm AST (1 Pacific). Anything before that is fine.

Default 07-10-2010 01:32 AM

BaB suggested 11 PST. Not sure what time that is for you guys, but it works for me

BreakABone 07-10-2010 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Default (Post 270904)
BaB suggested 11 PST. Not sure what time that is for you guys, but it works for me

That would be 2pm EST
3pm for weird Canadian Time