GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Last movies you saw (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17099)

DeathsHand 08-15-2007 03:59 PM

Re: Last movies you saw

Inland Empire...
I'm itchin' to watch it again, alone this time (as opposed to with my friend on her really crappy TV), though 3 hours (plus 70 minutes deleted scenes) of borderline nonsense is a tad long to find the time and patience for...
But it's strangely compelling...
Makes me... want to do a brand new dance... now...

The Germanator 08-15-2007 04:05 PM

Hmm...Almost saw Inland Empire in the theaters a while back, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to handle a 3 hour David Lynch movie where I couldn't pause to take a break or whatever. DVD seems to be the way to go.

Teuthida 08-15-2007 04:17 PM

After the nightmares Eraserhead gave me, I've been very wary of David Lynch films.

Saw The Simpsons Movie last night. Twas ok. Pretty visuals and had some nice music. Bout all I can say.

Typhoid 08-15-2007 04:19 PM

I'm in need of good movies to watch, so I'll just stick it here - if you have any suggestions, have at 'er.

Relatively any genre.

Teuthida 08-15-2007 04:22 PM

manasecret 08-15-2007 04:29 PM

Typhoid, I just saw and enjoyed Zodiac quite a bit. If you know nothing about the movie or the "true story" behind it, then it's an enthralling watch.

GameMaster 08-15-2007 04:33 PM

I just BT'd Zodiac, Sunshine (Not Little Miss, but the new Sci-Fi thriller), The Lookout, and The Reaping. Wish me luck!

DeathsHand 08-15-2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 212593)
After the nightmares Eraserhead gave me, I've been very wary of David Lynch films.

I saw Eraserhead the night before last (I bought it like a year ago and never watched it), and I wasn't quite as enthralled or effected as I was by Inland Empire...

Maybe because I was sorta half-asleep... But you'd almost think that'd enhance the experience...

Teuthida 08-15-2007 04:47 PM

Wasn't real bothered when I watched it. Just had disturbing dreams after, which I almost never do.

I enjoy good mindfuck movies.

Typhoid 08-15-2007 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manasecret (Post 212599)
Typhoid, I just saw and enjoyed Zodiac quite a bit. If you know nothing about the movie or the "true story" behind it, then it's an enthralling watch.

I do know the actual story though...so are you saying I won't enjoy it as much?

DeathsHand 08-15-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 212610)
I enjoy good mindfuck movies.

Inland Empire is quite the mindfuck... It was filmed over a period of a few years, and was never originally meant to be a feature film...

Lynch was experimenting with the convenience of his new Digital Video camera by filming a series of shorts, which, as time went on, he began to find ways to "connect" to each other (in his mind, at least)...
He'd come up with stuff one day at a time, write it, shoot it, and edit it himself, no studio execs piddling about, no complicated shots that required a large film crew to be around...
100% unspoiled Lynch...

Teuthida 08-15-2007 05:10 PM

I shall give it a viewing.

Vampyr 08-15-2007 05:21 PM

I -finally- got to watch 300 a couple days ago.

Freaking fantastic.

manasecret 08-15-2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 212613)
I do know the actual story though...so are you saying I won't enjoy it as much?

Yes and no. What gripped me was the story, which I knew nothing about. It was a good movie nonetheless, well done killing scenes I think and good acting and an interesting theme. But it certainly would have hurt the experience just a little if I had known the whole story already.

Bond 08-17-2007 10:06 PM

I just got done watching Zodiac. Well done movie. Very interesting.