GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Inception (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21103)

Fox 6 07-06-2010 11:04 PM

Inception

Some are saying it is better than The Dark Knight. But without Batman as source material will it perform as well? Are you going to check it out? It looks good, the plot seems very interesting.

Vampyr 07-06-2010 11:21 PM

Re: Inception

Will definitely be watching this...Chris Nolan is my favorite director. He's done both Batman movies, Memento, and The Prestige.

Counting on this being movie of the year material.

BreakABone 07-06-2010 11:48 PM

My second most anticipated movie this summer.

Can't wait.

As for if it will do as well as Batman, it will be lucky to do half the business, which is still good business.

The Germanator 07-07-2010 12:02 AM

Definitely getting excited for this. I wasn't exactly sure after seeing the preview, but the early reviews seem to indicate that it's great, so I'll surely see it now.

Typhoid 07-07-2010 03:20 AM

I know nothing about this movie [and I don't want to know before I see it], but I really want to go see it in theatres. So I hope some of my friends want to go, too.

Professor S 07-07-2010 08:13 AM

Is it in 3D IMAX? If its not in 3D IMAX Chris Nolan can go %$&@ himself... ;)

Angrist 07-07-2010 12:04 PM

That's a great way to kill a movie: hyping it as the best ever.

Looks pretty cool though. :)

Teuthida 07-07-2010 12:48 PM

Looking forward to it. Much prefer Nolan's non-Batman movies.

Fox 6 07-15-2010 02:22 AM

Comes out this Friday, going to be epic

Professor S 07-15-2010 09:44 AM

I've become a huge fan of Nolan's work. I always knew he had potential, with very good movies like Memento, The Prestige and Batman Begins (flawed but very good). It wasn't until The Dark Knight that I think Nolan really put everything together. The Dark Knight is one of those movies that informs me of what movie reviewers to listen to. In my mind, that movie was close to perfect (if it had flaws, the good parts made me completely forget them, which is about a close to perfect as anyone will ever get).

When I read movie reviews from people who vehemently disliked the movie, I knew I didn't have to pay attention to that reviewer anymore because their view of film simply does not click with my tastes.

If you look at the reviews, you'll find that the people that disliked The Dark Knight, also almost universally dislike Inception, so in effect their negative review lets me know I'll LOVE Inception. For the record, I find that David Edelstein's taste in film is the polar opposite of mine, and in objective analysis I don't even believe he is a very good critic, just a good writer. I read him like I view a photo negative.

Angrist 07-15-2010 09:53 AM

After 1 hour of The Dark Knight, I thought "I have to sit through 2 more hours of this? :("
So I don't really get what the fuzz was about.

Teuthida 07-15-2010 11:50 AM

Have to agree. It was a pretty average action movie that just happened to have a cool villain and a growling dude dressed up like a bat. Was good for a superhero movie though since they tend to suck.

Professor S 07-15-2010 04:19 PM

If my theory holds true, then I believe that I probably don't enjoy the same kinds of movies that both of you enjoy. I call it "The Dark Knight Demarcation".

Out of curiosity, what are your favorite movies?

Teuthida 07-15-2010 05:27 PM

Hard to say since I don't rewatch or own any movies. Hmm, off the top of my head I guess Pulp Fiction, The Machinist, American Psycho, The Matrix, Infernal Affairs (what The Departed is based off of), Save The Green Planet, Mind Game. Oh and um, Happy Gilmore...for some reason that's the only movie I can watch over and over again.

Not a huge fan of standard action movies unless there's something really unique about them or they make you think. And I hold Batman to a higher standard. Wish there was some actual detecting going on instead of Bond-like gadgets and lots of explosions. And Bale's Batman was just sooo bad. And not bad like powerglove bad either.

Acebot44 07-16-2010 06:14 AM

Just came back from the midnight screening.....

All I have to say is HOLY SHIT, this movie ravaged me, and in an oh sooooo good way.

Teuth, not like anything I've ever seen before. Me thinks you'll enjoy it.

Professor S 07-16-2010 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 271029)
Not a huge fan of standard action movies unless there's something really unique about them or they make you think. And I hold Batman to a higher standard. Wish there was some actual detecting going on instead of Bond-like gadgets and lots of explosions. And Bale's Batman was just sooo bad. And not bad like powerglove bad either.

In my mind The Dark Knight wasn't really about Batman, but instead it was study on the natures of "good" and "evil", which is really what all comic books boil down to. Instead of putting the study into a light-hearted pseudo-reality/fantasy environment... he put it in Chicago and used modern themes (like the threat of terrorism) to tell the story, and then examined how far would we have to go to stop it, perhaps making the argument that you couldn't stop it because the tool Batman used to win is probably the only truly unbelievable part of the movie.

This is what made the movie arresting for me. The illustrated, in very stark terms, that if someone truly wanted to create chaos with no real motivation other than to see what happens, there would be almost no way to stop them. That we literally all live at the mercy, reason, and kindness of those around us.

But I will agree, if you went into that movie looking for a character driven story, you would be sorely disappointed. IMO Nolan used the character development from the first film as a vehicle to allow himself to spend time n the plot and message of the second. Also, not unlike Kubrick, I think Nolan tends to treat his characters as means to an end (vessels to whom you insert yourself), and that end is the story/message. Scorsese has been movie in this direction lately, too (ever since Kubrick's death, I think) And like Kubrick, I think Nolan will remain a divisive director for the entirety of his career.

Angrist 07-16-2010 01:39 PM

Some of my favorite movies:
Garden State, Amélie, Im Juli, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Or if you want to hear action:
Jurassic Park, Aliens, Hero, I,Robot.

I guess I'll watch Inception in cinemas.

DarkMaster 07-16-2010 09:55 PM

This movie was ridiculously good. Like good to the point of disbelief, as in, "how the hell could it be this good?". I realize that's probably hyping it too much, but I don't really care. I saw it at midnight despite working at 7am in the morning, and it was fucking worth it, let me tell you. Being in a state of incredibly tired delusion really enhanced the experience too, I thought, seeing as it's a movie about dreams.

It is highly, highly entertaining and incredibly clever and intellectual. Go see it this weekend, I can't imagine anyone regretting it.

Fox 6 07-16-2010 10:01 PM

damn you DM, now you have my all giddy.

Dyne 07-16-2010 10:33 PM

Fuck, The Prestige was tops for me. Dark Knight almost topped it, but it didn't.

If this is better than The Prestige, then.. well, I don't know what I'd do with myself. Probably play with myself a lot and think about Christopher Nolan.

The Germanator 07-16-2010 10:37 PM

I thought about seeing this today, but I had to run too many errands before tour to watch a 2.5 hour movie...Maybe we'll have an off day without too much driving so I'll be able to check it out.

Vampyr 07-16-2010 10:42 PM

I'm going to see it Sunday, can't wait.

I keep telling myself it's going to suck, just so it will be better when I see it.

TheSlyMoogle 07-17-2010 01:51 AM

Saw this tonight.

Holy Shit.

Just... Wow.

I think it's the best movie of the last 5 years honestly. This is the first time in a long string of shitty shitty blockbuster films that I've walked out of the theater thinking "Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed the absolute fuck out of that movie"

I went into this movie thinking "Well... It is a Leo movie so that means it'll probably be complete and utter ass eventually"

Wrong.

On so many levels.

I've never seen him act so well that I can think of.

WHAT AN AMAZING FUCKING MOVIE.

GO SEE IT NOW.

PS:

The last two times I came close to feeling like this about a movie in the past 5 years was...

Zombieland

and

The Dark Knight.

ZebraRampage 07-17-2010 11:33 PM

This movie was absolutely great! I agree with Moogle that it was the best movie out for a long time. When the movie was over my girlfriend and I were just out of it. Our brains were fried for quite a while from how intense and involved everything got. It became rather stressful, but in a good way. This movie really hooks you in. Definitely see it!

Fox 6 07-18-2010 10:58 AM

Seeing this today, cannot wait.

Dylflon 07-18-2010 04:24 PM

May go tonight if I finish my essay but will probably have to wait until next weekend.

Bond 07-18-2010 04:45 PM

That was epic.

Vampyr 07-18-2010 06:26 PM

Wow.

What an amazing movie. I can't really single out a part that was my favorite, the entire thing was spectacular.

Xantar 07-18-2010 07:08 PM

So I just saw it. I'll discuss it in depth later, but I just want to say this:

During the ending, I thought to myself, "Uh-oh. Chris Nolan is going to cut away, isn't he? He's going to do it. He'll cut away any second now and we won't see...yep. Damn you, Christopher Nolan!!"

Also, here's my pithy summary of the two Batman movies:

Batman Begins is a Batman movie that happens to be directed by Christopher Nolan. The Dark Knight is a Christopher Nolan movie that happens to have Batman.

Fox 6 07-18-2010 09:22 PM

Really great film. Some of the most amazing visuals I've seen in a movie.

Vampyr 07-19-2010 03:51 PM

I think I'm going to have to go see this again. Can't stop thinking about it.

v1zzy 07-19-2010 05:11 PM

TheSlyMoogle 07-19-2010 07:07 PM

No one mentions that baller fight scene in the hotel hallway?

No grav fight what?

Combine 017 07-19-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle (Post 271122)

No grav fight what?

Thanks for ruining part of the movie for me moogle.

Fox 6 07-19-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle (Post 271122)

No grav fight what?

That was one of my favourite parts, so good.

Im seeing this again tomorrow night. Hopefully Ill be able to catch anything i missed.

Fox 6 07-20-2010 12:43 AM

This is a pretty big spoiler, so dont look at it if you havent seen the flick. Heres a helpful guide to understanding the big Inception finale.

****SPOILERS BEYOND LINK****
http://itthing.com/the-5-levels-of-inception
****SPOILERS BEYOND LINK****

ZebraRampage 07-23-2010 05:34 PM

It seems to be missing a lower tone to it, which is the coolest part, but this is the only thing I've found that has JUST this sound. I want to carry this sound around in my pocket, and play it at just the right moments throughout any day.

BreakABone 07-24-2010 05:50 PM

http://nerdsontherocks.com/bar-banter-inception

Hope you folks don't mind, but borrowed some quotes from this thread to right an informal "review" on the site.

DarkMaster 07-25-2010 11:43 AM

I saw it again. I never see movies in the theater twice... the only other time was for the Dark Knight. My heart was still pounding during the intense parts, even though I knew what was going to happen. Such a freaking good film.

BreakABone 07-25-2010 04:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwOOhT6BNFk

I'll be a monkey's uncle..

He actually drove a train through downtown LA. :lolz: