GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21083)

BreakABone 06-29-2010 09:41 AM

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

The first trailer (and it looks like a joint trailer) for the final 2 parter in the Harry Potter series is out.

The movie looks like it shall be a good time. Though based on wand battle look like may be the same dude from HP 5? :ohreilly:

manasecret 06-29-2010 10:51 AM

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I wonder if it's filmed in 3D. And I still wonder how Harry figures out about all the Horcruxes since Dumbledore didn't tell him shit in the movie as he did in the book. Is he going to just come upon all of Dumbledore's memory things?

TheSlyMoogle 06-30-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manasecret (Post 270600)
I wonder if it's filmed in 3D. And I still wonder how Harry figures out about all the Horcruxes since Dumbledore didn't tell him shit in the movie as he did in the book. Is he going to just come upon all of Dumbledore's memory things?

6th movie was real bad.

Bet Harry gets dumbledore's memories in his will or something.

manasecret 06-30-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle (Post 270646)
6th movie was real bad.

Bet Harry gets dumbledore's memories in his will or something.

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing.

I really liked the 6th movie, that is, until I pondered it more and remembered just how much really interesting stuff they left out of the movie. Dumbledore taking Harry through all of his memories and theories about the horcruxes and far more of the backstory on Voldemort -- I found all that to be really interesting stuff and much more humanizing of ol' Morty. I'm hoping all of that will be part of the final movies, which will placate me if they are.

Xantar 07-04-2010 10:47 PM

God damnit, are they just going to force 3-D into everything now? Maybe the failure of The Last Airbender will make them reconsider. In any case, I'm seeing this movie in regular old flat projection just like I did all the others. Harry Potter, of all movies, does not need a god damn gimmick to get us to watch. This whole trend is starting to make me hate Avatar even more.

Vampyr 07-05-2010 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xantar (Post 270745)
God damnit, are they just going to force 3-D into everything now? Maybe the failure of The Last Airbender will make them reconsider. In any case, I'm seeing this movie in regular old flat projection just like I did all the others. Harry Potter, of all movies, does not need a god damn gimmick to get us to watch. This whole trend is starting to make me hate Avatar even more.

You really want to see this, don't you?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1193631/

Professor S 07-05-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampyr (Post 270746)
You really want to see this, don't you?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1193631/

BreakABone 07-05-2010 10:58 PM

I enjoyed the 3D in the Half Blood Prince, but it was nothing more than a cheap marketing ploy as the 3D lasts for like all of 10 minutes or so.

Xantar 07-09-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor S (Post 270780)

Doesn't something have to be good before it can jump the shark?

BreakABone 11-23-2010 11:43 AM

Was I the only one who saw this?

It was a pretty solid and enjoyable movie, but yeah it won't really stand on its own so I guess 9 minutes or so for the end... yeah I already know how it ends, but you know!

Acebot44 11-23-2010 05:40 PM

Having only read "Chamber of Secrets" back in Middle School and only seen "The Sorcerers Stone" in the movie series, I still very thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Was pretty lost with the significance on the characters and essentially the entire backstory, but liked the movie nonetheless. After getting back from the theaters, I spent a good several hours on the Harry Potter wiki familiarizing myself.

Angrist 11-23-2010 06:05 PM

Reading a wiki to learn about Harry Potter... that sounds like going to a museum to experience Super Mario. Like reading a book to find out what Star Wars is. Or playing an Avatar game because you think you might like the movie.

BreakABone 11-23-2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acebot44 (Post 273566)
Having only read "Chamber of Secrets" back in Middle School and only seen "The Sorcerers Stone" in the movie series, I still very thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Was pretty lost with the significance on the characters and essentially the entire backstory, but liked the movie nonetheless. After getting back from the theaters, I spent a good several hours on the Harry Potter wiki familiarizing myself.

Why don't you... watch the movies or... read the books.

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Y...0555622&sr=1-3

24 bucks for DVD

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Y...0555622&sr=1-5

40 bucks for Blu-ray

Acebot44 11-24-2010 12:03 AM

Haha thanks for the links Earl, but if I find the time/desire to go through the books/movies, I'll use my more thrifty resources, nah mean?

And Angrist, it was the background I was seeking clarity to. Thus, it made more sense (time wise) to use a wiki resource to obtain the facts I desired, than to plow through all 8 (?) novels :)

Vampyr 11-24-2010 09:46 AM

I saw it last Friday - I thought it was awesome. Definitely my favorite movie in the series so far. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I was pretty much on the edge of my seat and grinning the entire time. It was a great adaptation of the book, I don't really have any complaints.

Although I really wouldn't have minded if they had changed the story and not killed Hedwig, that part always annoyed me, it seemed so unnecessary. Although in the movie they at least made her death mean something by having her die protecting Harry.

BreakABone 11-24-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampyr (Post 273580)
I saw it last Friday - I thought it was awesome. Definitely my favorite movie in the series so far. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I was pretty much on the edge of my seat and grinning the entire time. It was a great adaptation of the book, I don't really have any complaints.

Although I really wouldn't have minded if they had changed the story and not killed Hedwig, that part always annoyed me, it seemed so unnecessary. Although in the movie they at least made her death mean something by having her die protecting Harry.

I just assumed that she was killed off so JK didn't have to write about her, I mean would she be with Harry while they're camping? Give away his identity when taken to Malfoy Manor?

Vampyr 11-24-2010 10:36 AM

Well in the movie he releases her at the house, instead of putting her in a cage on the motorcycle like an idiot.

She could have just done that and had her return at the end of the book. :P

BreakABone 11-24-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampyr (Post 273583)
Well in the movie he releases her at the house, instead of putting her in a cage on the motorcycle like an idiot.

She could have just done that and had her return at the end of the book. :P

I feel like its such a minor point though, in the book, it was dumb since it was an obvious tell, but whatever.

Hedwig wasn't even that big in the movie. Now if it was Fawkes.

manasecret 11-24-2010 09:50 PM

Flippin' sweet movie.

I think the worst thing about the movie is also telling about how good it was -- the fact that the story didn't end. I was dying for the movie to keep going, and so was my girlfriend who doesn't give a flip about Harry Potter.

Vampyr 11-25-2010 12:56 AM

Actually, I did remember one part of the movie that annoyed me a little...

In the book, when Voldemort finds Grindelwald in his prison cell, Grindelwald stands up to him and doesn't reveal the location of the Elder Wand. Afterwords, Voldemort kills him. Neither of those happened in the movie.

BreakABone 11-25-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampyr (Post 273597)
Actually, I did remember one part of the movie that annoyed me a little...

In the book, when Voldemort finds Grindelwald in his prison cell, Grindelwald stands up to him and doesn't reveal the location of the Elder Wand. Afterwords, Voldemort kills him. Neither of those happened in the movie.

At this point I just assumed they wanted to speed up the scene because I also thought there was a part when Nagini attacks Harry that Voldemort actually shows up at the last minute or something.

And this is just a minor pet peeve of mine, but based on the movie world logic, it made no sense for them to head to the Burrow since we saw it attacked by the Death Eaters in Half Blood Prince so we already know they can invade it.

Vampyr 11-25-2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakABone (Post 273598)
At this point I just assumed they wanted to speed up the scene because I also thought there was a part when Nagini attacks Harry that Voldemort actually shows up at the last minute or something.

And this is just a minor pet peeve of mine, but based on the movie world logic, it made no sense for them to head to the Burrow since we saw it attacked by the Death Eaters in Half Blood Prince so we already know they can invade it.

Yeah, Voldemort was definitely supposed to show up there...although to be fair, I didn't think that part of the book was really well written - I had to read it several times just to figure out what exactly had taken place in that house.

BreakABone 04-27-2011 07:47 PM

http://nerdsontherocks.com/?p=2702

The final trailer is here... and WOW

WB seems to be taking them down as fast as I can find em

http://www.joblo.com/video/player.ph...llowspart2trlr

BreakABone 06-16-2011 07:45 PM

Okay the FINAL final trailer is here.

Teuthida 06-26-2011 07:02 PM

BreakABone 07-06-2011 06:53 PM

KillerGremlin 07-07-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakABone (Post 277308)

She grew, my penis grew, we had a good time!

The first part of this movie was boring. My friend stated that it followed the book (with all the traveling and stuff). I still haven't picked up the last two books. I should...because the books are much better than the films.

My question is....was the two-parts really necessary, or could they have fit this into a neatly edited, awesome 3-hour movie?

Professor S 07-07-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerGremlin (Post 277331)
My question is....was the two-parts really necessary, or could they have fit this into a neatly edited, awesome 3-hour movie?

The first part of Deathly Hollows was the only Potter movie I truly disliked. We already knew the characters and also knew the danger they were in. All the important plot points could have been addressed in 30 minutes. And we would have been saved this awkward moment:

BreakABone 07-10-2011 02:51 PM

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/0...potter-comics/

This is pretty cool

BreakABone 07-11-2011 10:48 AM

BreakABone 07-14-2011 11:14 AM

http://idolator.com/5935582/harry-po...-song-parodies

Bond 07-15-2011 11:30 AM

I refuse to watch these movies. Seriously, just read the books.

Professor S 07-15-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond (Post 277449)

Well someone has a sandy vag today... :D

Vampyr 07-15-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond (Post 277449)

You can't do both?

Bond 07-15-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampyr (Post 277452)
You can't do both?

I have never been able to stop a movie from infringing upon my prior visual images of a book. If you can do that, then I guesssss....

Teuthida 07-15-2011 05:43 PM

BreakABone 07-16-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond (Post 277453)
I have never been able to stop a movie from infringing upon my prior visual images of a book. If you can do that, then I guesssss....

I've usually read the books in tandem with the movies, and have no problem with them.

Naturally changes are made, but if they are for a more cinematic experience and get the heart of the book/scenes right, I'm fine with it.

Vampyr 07-16-2011 12:53 PM

I watched it last night, and thought it was awesome, especially the first 30 minutes or so. Harry's conversation with Griphook was really well done, and the whole bank scene was amazing.

Only part of the movie that I didn't like was when Harry didn't use the Elder Wand to fix his original one that he broke in the first movie.

Also the epilogue was kind of funny, since they all looked the same age, except with kids. XD But I didn't really expect them to be able to make it not funny.

It's the end of an era, folks.

KillerGremlin 07-18-2011 02:51 PM

What I liked was that it didn't drag on for 19 hours like Return of the King.

What I didn't like was the horrible editing...certain cuts and scene changes did not flow well. I look forward to the 4-hour extended edition?

All-in-all the movie was just a bit above average...a fitting conclusion to the Harry Potter film series, but I'll be reading the books to my future kids long before I show them these films.

as far as movies go....Original Trilogy (Hope, Empire, Jedi) > LoTR > Harry Potter

Vampyr 07-18-2011 03:35 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who recognized the bad editing. The beginning was great, the end was great, the middle was not put together well.