GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Last movies you saw (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17099)

Fox 6 02-22-2010 06:08 PM

Re: Last movies you saw

Me and Swan saw Shutter Island. It was a very good movie, and I enjoyed it a lot. It makes you think right up to the very end.

Angrist 02-24-2010 11:56 AM

Le Scaphandre et le Papillon (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly) 8/10.
Great French movie about a guy who wakes from a coma. He can only move his eyes, but he still writes a book.
True story, but not one of those sappy drama movies. Arthouse instead.

KillerGremlin 02-28-2010 02:41 AM

I feel like the trailers ruined Shutter Island and it is really long so I'll probably avoid that one till it comes out on DVD. I saw The Wolfman and I am presently surprised to say it was an entertaining homage to B-movie horror with amazing Gothic cinematography and a sweet acting cast.

I'm planning on catching The Crazies next weekend which should hit that zombie spot. :bath:

Typhoid 03-04-2010 06:40 PM

Black Dynamite.

Hands down this is a 10/10. By far one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
You have to go in knowing that it's a mockery of blaxploitation movies, and at no time does it take itself seriously.

With that said, not only is Michael Jai White the lead in the movie, but it has Arsinio Hall.

Bottom line: If you like laughter, watch this goddamn movie.

BreakABone 03-04-2010 10:06 PM

After seeing Shutter Island, I don't think the trailer gives away too much especially with the way the movie plays out.

And while I was buying tickets to Shutter Island, got invited to a free screening of Repo Man so hopped uptown after the movie and caught that. Its an okay movie, nothing special, it has a cool climax fight scene.

Angrist 03-05-2010 12:45 PM

Closing The Ring. 8/10.
I watched it because the director was Richard Attenborough (Jurassic Park's John Hammond). The Irish accent was so hard to understand... :(

Fox 6 03-10-2010 11:06 PM

Just watched "Up In The Air"

I enjoyed it immensely and thought it was a better film than the "Hurt Locker"

Swan 03-10-2010 11:52 PM

Watched Law Abiding Citizen on the weekend.

Quite enjoyable, if you are willing to sit back and shut off your brain... Like any other Gerard Butler film

Bond 03-11-2010 02:47 AM

Before Sunset. 7/10.

Seth 03-11-2010 12:25 PM

Was Before Sunset as good as it's predecessor?

I'd like to recommend Samurai Champloo if you enjoyed Cowboy Bebop at all...I'm on episode 21 of 26, and the climatic tension is starting to build. I like CB more, but it's still a great anime. The samurai setting doesn't feel rehashed because of the hiphop n general creativity.

Shutter Island. Teddy was sane. Scorsese gives enough metaphor to show the 'real' island setting. Good movie.

Typhoid 03-12-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 264740)
Watched Law Abiding Citizen on the weekend.

Quite enjoyable, if you are willing to sit back and shut off your brain... Like any other Gerard Butler film

What bugged me about that movie - and every movie he does since 300 - is he's trying to do a North American accent. The thing is, I'm completely aware he's scottish, so all I do during his movies now is watch his mouth when he's doing the accent for movies and pick it apart in my mind to the point where he just sounds like a handicap.

Professor S 03-12-2010 08:05 PM

Just watched Frost/Nixon. Great movie and Richard Nixon has to be the most fascinating president in history. A man of great achievement and great sin. A Shakespearean tragedy.

Bond 03-12-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor S (Post 264861)
Just watched Frost/Nixon. Great movie and Richard Nixon has to be the most fascinating president in history. A man of great achievement and great sin. A Shakespearean tragedy.

I completely agree. Nixon is such an underappreciated president, both for his advances and his transgressions.

The Germanator 03-12-2010 10:36 PM

Recent watches:

I Love You, Man: Not a bad run for the recent "bromantic" comedies. I've always like both Paul Rudd and Jason Segel (and Rashida Jones) and they were all pretty good in this. Nothing special, but I laughed a lot. 7/10

The Invention of Lying: Ricky Gervais never does anything safe and this one's not any different, but not necessarily for the better. The concept had a lot of potential, but the tone swayed in weird ways at weird times. I wanted to like it a lot more than I did. Still a good try though. 6/10

Waltz With Bashir
: This film was incredible. It's really one of the most beautiful things I've watched all while being surrounded by troubling subject matter. I'm not sure what took me so long to watch it because it's really really amazing. 10/10

Seth 03-13-2010 01:39 AM

I really enjoyed Waltz With Bashir as well.
Also, I thought the invention of lying was a lot similar to Ghost Town, but failed in the delivery. Maybe it was just the poor script and bad delivery of a world without lies.. too self indulgent maybe. I'd like to see Ricky Gervais attempt a film that doesn't involve some supernatural or wildly outrageous premise.

Beyond the Clouds, the Promised Place
5 Centimetres Per Second
Both these films are from the same creator. The animation was breathtaking, similar tweeny love story shit....but overall I'm happy to have watched. If you're a fan of animation these two are a go.