GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   The Walking Dead: The Television Series (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20033)

TheSlyMoogle 08-29-2010 02:41 PM

Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

Wow that looks really good. I haven't read the comic either. So thanks Killer for slightly spoiling some stuff for me :D

But I'll watch the show.

Angrist 08-29-2010 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trailer looks good, but the story sounds so cliché. Zombie outbreak, looking for family, heading for military camp.

The zombie-covered tank scene was nice.

Edit: here's a picture of my ocarina!

Teuthida 08-29-2010 09:03 PM

I actually forgot how 28DaysLaterish it starts off. But the basic premise of the comic is what it's like to try to live during a zombie apocalypse that never ends whereas in most movies the people escape (and don't know what becomes of them) or die. In the comic you actually forget about the zombies every so often because it's more a human drama than anything else.

Teuthida 10-27-2010 03:22 PM

Skip to 32 min in for the Robert Kirkman show. Hilarious.

Plus cast and crew from the Walking Dead get ambushed.

Typhoid 10-28-2010 01:23 AM

I really want to watch this show.
Has it been on for a while?
Is it on now?
What channel does it air on?
What time is it on?

Dear Science I must know.

BreakABone 10-28-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 273170)
I really want to watch this show.
Has it been on for a while?
Is it on now?
What channel does it air on?
What time is it on?

Dear Science I must know.

It premieres this Sunday if you watched the interview.

Believe premiere is 90 minutes long and its on AMC

Acebot44 11-02-2010 12:50 AM

Just saw the first episode and am really digging this series.

Professor S 11-02-2010 09:15 AM

I think they nailed it. I love the fact that:

1) The series, like the book, looks like it will focus on the characters and not the zombies. The zombies are just the "crisis" that creates the drama; as Hitchcock called it, "the McGuffin".

2) They made the zombies sympathetic characters, victims, instead of monsters. You feel for what they once were, not what they are now. Its also reminds us of what our main characters could become, which is where the true horror lies. This is why the slow, dim zombie is so much more effective. Its hard to sympathize with a raving mad zombie trying to run you down.

Typhoid 11-02-2010 08:07 PM

What was conceived first; 28 days later, or the book/comic this show is based on? Because they both started basically the same way.

Anyways, I loved the first episode. It was so intense/suspenseful. The part where it's completely dark and he's going down the staircase was one of the most suspenseful things I've seen in anything in a long time.

Great show.

BreakABone 11-02-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 273250)
What was conceived first; 28 days later, or the book/comic this show is based on? Because they both started basically the same way.

Anyways, I loved the first episode. It was so intense/suspenseful. The part where it's completely dark and he's going down the staircase was one of the most suspenseful things I've seen in anything in a long time.

Great show.

According to Wiki, 28 Days Later was released in the UK in summer of 2002, The Walking Dead Came out sometime in 2003.

Anyhow, the show was awesome. So many moments where you thought he would get it, and then nothing.

Somehow, the killing of the zombies felt more impactful.

Teuthida 11-02-2010 10:38 PM

Found this on the IMDb board:

Quote:

It was written around the same time more or less, and the creator admitted he wasn't aware of 28DL at the time of writing. If anything, they were BOTH inspired by Day of the Triffids written in 1951, which involves a man waking up in hospital to find everyone around him is blind and society has collapsed.
Kirkman has stated that he's banned himself from consuming any Zombie related media so as not to be influenced...and that he can't wait to read The Zombie Survival Guide if he ever concludes the series.

I thought the episode was ok. Interesting to see what they changed/added/subtracted from the comic. For those keeping score, the pilot covered one and a half issues.

Swan 11-02-2010 11:07 PM

I'm really hoping they get past the first trade this season. Sure it would be a great season break but would have to be a short season.

A little vague but don't want to ruin anything for people who have not read comic

Professor S 11-03-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 273256)
I'm really hoping they get past the first trade this season. Sure it would be a great season break but would have to be a short season.

A little vague but don't want to ruin anything for people who have not read comic

Well, at their current pace they're burning through one issue every hour episode. At that rate, they will finish the first trade at the end of this six episode season.

Vampyr 11-03-2010 04:19 PM

I'm not sure how I missed this....I never saw any commercials or anything for this show.

Is the pilot the only episode that's aired so far? Is it available to watch anywhere online? (Can't really go check at work)

Angrist 11-03-2010 07:02 PM

Great episode, but too bad he lost his transport at the end.