GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Last movies you saw (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17099)

Vampyr 11-17-2012 08:10 PM

Re: Last movies you saw

Saw Lincoln tonight. It's...one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Angrist 11-18-2012 03:43 AM

That's not the vampire movie, is it?

Vampyr 11-18-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 284613)
That's not the vampire movie, is it?

Heh, no.

BreakABone 11-20-2012 06:30 PM

Watched Payback.. some meh film noir type deal with Mel Gibson.

Fairly by the book revenge flick with lackluster characters

Seth 11-22-2012 01:49 PM

Looper - Good time travel flick.

Seven Psychopaths - This movie took me a bit of time to get into but by the time the metafilm motif really got developed I was loving it. Great movie!

Treasure Island - Super long, direct2dvd goodness. Quite enjoyable over the course of a couple nights. Definitely long...

Teuthida 11-22-2012 08:16 PM

Safety Not Guaranteed
Fantastic. Pretty cool to build a movie around that ad.

Chimpanzee
David Attenborough Tim Allen is not. Really did not like the narration. And swing music. Because they swing in trees, get it?! Sighs. The anthropomorphism was overdone. It's very much a kids movie. Would have much preferred it to be silent. The animal footage was quite nice by itself. I found the short bit with the film makers during the credits to be the most interesting part.

Made me really want to see a nature show sort of like that of the honey badger where the narrator increasingly goes off script.

Combine 017 11-22-2012 08:59 PM

Go watch some Life, that will make you feel better.

Angrist 11-23-2012 03:12 PM

The New World. 7/10.
Such a slow movie. I see what they were going for, but it didn't really work. The actress that played Pocahontas really saved this movie. Wow, what a gorgeous and cute girl.

Edit:
Saw The Dark Knight Returns. I'll give it a 6/10 because I didn't fall asleep this time.
What a messy movie. Random plot twists with a huge Deus Ex Machina at the end. I guess they were trying to make the 3rd movie the biggest yet in terms of villainous acts... and they were willing to sacrifice everything for that. I still don't get what people (mostly Americans from what I see) see in TDK/TDKR.
Oh and yes, Bane's voice was laughable. Or utterly annoying, I can't really decide.

BreakABone 11-24-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 284663)
The New World. 7/10.
Such a slow movie. I see what they were going for, but it didn't really work. The actress that played Pocahontas really saved this movie. Wow, what a gorgeous and cute girl.

Edit:
Saw The Dark Knight Returns. I'll give it a 6/10 because I didn't fall asleep this time.
What a messy movie. Random plot twists with a huge Deus Ex Machina at the end. I guess they were trying to make the 3rd movie the biggest yet in terms of villainous acts... and they were willing to sacrifice everything for that. I still don't get what people (mostly Americans from what I see) see in TDK/TDKR.
Oh and yes, Bane's voice was laughable. Or utterly annoying, I can't really decide.

What Deus Ex Machina did the movie introduce?

Angrist 11-25-2012 02:52 AM

Oh come on, that villain behind the curtains at the end? That was totally random. That's just a plot twist for the sake of a plot twist. They might as well have revealed that his butler was actually his father, or that Bane was actually Batman's shizo alterego.

Teuthida 11-25-2012 06:37 AM

Really?

BreakABone 11-25-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 284668)
Oh come on, that villain behind the curtains at the end? That was totally random. That's just a plot twist for the sake of a plot twist. They might as well have revealed that his butler was actually his father, or that Bane was actually Batman's shizo alterego.

Quote:

is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object
Perhaps because I know the character, but Tate being Talia.. didn't seem out of the blue. The film does drop hints at her not being on the up and up at times.

*Shrugs*

Vampyr 11-25-2012 04:15 PM

Yeah, I enjoyed that plot twist.

Also I don't think that's deus ex machina anyway. Deus ex machina is when some previously unmentioned event or piece of technology saves everyone at the last second.

It would be like if the bat plane hadn't been mentioned the entire movie, then suddenly Bruce had a bat-plane right when he needed it.

Angrist 11-25-2012 04:27 PM

The original term deus ex machina comes from Greek theatre. Whenever the plot was at a dead point or the writers couldn't come up with anything interesting, they'd introduce a God (deus) that suddenly changed something. They lowered him onto the stage with a crane (machina).

So the term deus ex machina can apply to persons, story elements, plot twists, etc.
Think of somebody returning to the screen, even though you watched him die in one episode. Or a bit of extra info that changes the whole story. Random stuff like that.
Or a love interest suddenly turning out to be the daughter of your arch enemy.

The auto pilot of the Bat (hey, I remembered the name!) turning out to have worked all along, even though you saw Batman sitting in the Bat when he flew out to sea is another good example.

Anyway, that's what I was taught what deus ex machina means.

Vampyr 11-25-2012 04:58 PM

Well, the google definition is:

Noun:
An unexpected power or event saving a hopeless situation, esp. as a plot device in a play or novel.