GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Last movies you saw (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17099)

The Germanator 09-25-2011 10:56 PM

Re: Last movies you saw

Drive.

Really, really good. The mood that this film sets is pretty incredible. Some critics have said "style over substance", and while I agree to an extent, the style is pretty freaking great. Very good music, downloading it now.

Also...Not as much driving as you might expect. Of course, awesome cast as well. Bryan Cranston, Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Albert Brooks, Christina Hendricks...

Definitely recommend it.

Seth 09-26-2011 11:17 AM

I really want to see Drive based on the reviews.

Saw Smokey and the Bandit I+II
Was a lot like canonball run.

Cat Ballou - This movie is possibly the best comedy western I have ever seen. It was originally started as a drama but the producers gave up on it sometime during the shoot and decided to make a comedy starring a young Jane Fonda.

Anjela48 09-30-2011 03:15 AM

Last movie that i watched was Kung Fu Panda And Saw. Both movies are just awesome.

Teuthida 10-23-2011 05:19 AM

Batman: Year One
Great other than Batman's voice. It's a good thing it's more of a Jim Gordon story. Bryan Cranston was amazing as always. Took some serious effort not to picture Walter White speaking.

Kung Fu Panda 2
Did not expect it to be as dark and serious (well, compared to the first at least) as it was. Went by pretty quick but was a fun ride. Great action and oh so pretty.

The Guard
Quite enjoyable. Had a bit of trouble with the accents at times though.

Seth 10-23-2011 03:20 PM

The Lonely Guy
Steve Martin, 1984. I remembered a little ways in that I had seen this when I was quite young. Good classic comedy. Recently saw Novocaine (2001) with Steve Martin and Helena Bonham Carter. Both slightly dark.

Crazy, Stupid, Love.
Haha quirky comedy that accepts being silly. Has some ambiguity with depicting double standards, so it makes for an interesting critique.

"I should have fought for you" fails to designate the past perfect occasion. Obviously referring to the breakdown that led to her infidelity, it also is easily taken as his response to her telling him.

Angrist 10-24-2011 04:46 AM

Captain America.
Haha, they tried so bad to make something out of this. And I guess apart from all the über-silly stuff, I even enjoyed parts of it.

I just hope it was good for the fans of the comic (I've never read it).

Angrist 10-24-2011 03:03 PM

Banlieu 13 Ultimatum
Epic French movie.

Teuthida 10-25-2011 02:33 AM

Drive

Good.

The Germanator 10-25-2011 10:34 PM

Bridesmaids

Pretty good. Jon Hamm was hilarious. It still had parts I didn't like and it was just a little too long, like most Apatow productions, I've noticed. Still recommend it though.

Angrist 10-26-2011 07:04 AM

Kung Fu Panda 2. I hadn't seen part 1, but that probably didn't matter. It was enjoyable (but not very special).

Angrist 10-28-2011 02:22 PM

Mulholland Drive
Seriously, is there any way to understand it the first time you see it? I liked where the movie was going, but then suddenly it got very very weird and I can't see how they tried to explain it.

Teuthida 10-30-2011 03:03 PM

Seriously crulsettesy? Seriously?

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2

Quite good though it really did feel like the second half a movie. The epilogue was...weird. Felt like kids dressed up pretending to be adults.

Professor S 11-04-2011 01:11 PM

The Social Network

Well acted, and very well directed. But without the brilliant editing the story is actually pretty dull.

The Germanator 11-04-2011 01:24 PM

Some leftovers I saw over Halloween weekend...

Trollhunter:

I'd been meaning to see this for a while. It's very silly but I really enjoyed how sincerely it is played. It's funny, but not directly played for campy laughs. I liked it a lot.

Dead Snow

This was also pretty great. I liked the Evil Dead homages and some of the hammy cliche moments. Didn't take itself too seriously while still having some brutal kill scenes. Pretty good blueprint for an enjoyable horror film.

The Fog

I had heard a lot about this one and was kind of disappointed. The story is just really weird and told in a strange way. John Carpenter wasn't at his best between Halloween and The Thing...

Submarine

This one is not horror related of course! Director Richard Ayoade has been dubbed "the British Wes Anderson" and it kind of makes sense when you look at the style of this movie. Not super original in a lot of ways. Maybe a cross of Rushmore and The Squid and the Whale, but not quite as good. I still liked it.

Angrist 11-04-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Germanator (Post 279348)
Trollhunter:

I'd been meaning to see this for a while. It's very silly but I really enjoyed how sincerely it is played. It's funny, but not directly played for campy laughs. I liked it a lot.

Maybe I took it way too serious, because I never saw what was so funny about it... I just loved the suspense, the atmosphere and the realistic take on fairy tales.