GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Last movies you saw (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17099)

The Germanator 10-05-2010 01:30 PM

Re: Last movies you saw

The Social Network.

Not as great as I had hoped, but still pretty good. A lot of quick, witty dialogue and general intrigue. A pretty fascinating thing to be the world's youngest billionaire. Dude is a year older than me. Crazy.

Teuthida 10-05-2010 01:42 PM

Zombieland

Pretty funny that Eisenberg says the best thing about living in Zombieland is the lack of Facebook statuses and now he's playing Zuckerberg.

The Germanator 10-14-2010 04:40 PM

A Streetcar Named Desire

Pretty great in that classic Tennessee Williams as cinema kind of way. I hadn't actually read this play, so some of the stuff the censors take out is kind of confusing and important. It's good to know a couple of those details now. Young Marlon Brando is pretty great...Vivian Leigh too.

Waiting for Guffman

Hadn't seen this for whatever reason. I've always been a fan of the Christopher Guest stuff so I assumed I'd like it and I did.

The Cove

Oscar winning documentary about dolphin slaughter in small Japanese town. Pretty enlightening. I didn't know that most of this was happening.

Angrist 10-14-2010 06:01 PM

How graphic is The Cove? Would I as a vegetarian want to see it? I've heard good stories about it, but there's stuff I just don't want to see.

Transformers 2
Pfff what a weird movie. Boring, illogical and confusing story. 10% of this movie is in slow motion... Seeing those huge robots fight is cool, but not thrilling enough for 2h30.
Oh and I thought Megan Fox was no big deal.

The Germanator 10-14-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 272947)
How graphic is The Cove? Would I as a vegetarian want to see it? I've heard good stories about it, but there's stuff I just don't want to see.

There are a few very graphic scenes where the water is literally turned red from all the blood. Otherwise it's a lot of talking heads and happier dolphin scenes. If you can get by the gruesome stuff it's certainly worthwhile to watch.

BreakABone 10-16-2010 06:39 PM

RED

This was the action movie I wanted all summer. Big over the top setpieces, one liners, and just good natured fun.

tracyk859 10-20-2010 09:29 PM

You should watch American Beauty. It's titillating.

The Germanator 10-20-2010 10:02 PM

Hmm, not a bad movie, spambot.

Anyway, I watched Dawn of the Dead for the first time. Definitely a fun one! The acting is pretty bad, but you can't help but love the entire set-up of the film. The gore is laughable but still effective and there aren't many dull moments. I understand why it's highly regarded. Zombies in a mall will always be a great idea.

Swan 10-21-2010 12:56 AM

Saw RED. Quite awesome. Have to say the site of Helen Mirren with a sniper rifle is ridiculously awesome

Angrist 10-21-2010 05:02 AM

Meet Dave. Him trying to act human is great. :D

Teuthida 10-30-2010 09:21 PM

Splice

There were a number of things that didn't work or were predictable but overall I enjoyed it. A few some charmingly cute scenes as well.

Angrist 10-31-2010 03:22 AM

The Road
7/10 Disturbing view on an post-apocalyptic world.

Be Kind, Rewind
5/10 The movie 'remakes' are funny, but you hardly see any of those. Most of the movie is boring.

The Germanator 11-01-2010 12:17 AM

House (or Hausu)

Bizarre Japanese Fantasty/Horror. So incredible. This one has become some what of a cult classic recently and for good reason. It's super weird, partially because the director's 10-year-old daughter helped storyboard the film. No wonder it makes no sense...but in a great way. Some really interesting camera work and set design as well. Surely a new Halloween classic.

Teuthida 11-06-2010 03:01 AM

Funky Forest: The First Contact

Never before have I uttered WTF so many times while watching a movie.

The Germanator 11-07-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 273312)
Funky Forest: The First Contact

Never before have I uttered WTF so many times while watching a movie.

AHH! Where did you find the whole thing? I've seen the youtube clips, but I wasn't sure the full version was available anywhere...is it really tolerable beyond a few minutes??