GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Last movies you saw (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17099)

Vampyr 04-03-2010 07:05 PM

Re: Last movies you saw

I watched The Host last night.

It was an awesome, awesome movie. Also freely streamable on Netflix if anyone is interested.

Vampyr 04-03-2010 09:49 PM

I also saw How to Train your Pet Dragon a few days ago...awesome movie. It had two of my favorite things - vikings and dragons!

Keatonmr 04-04-2010 02:03 PM

Clash of the Titans. Good movie, definitely worth seeing

BreakABone 04-04-2010 02:07 PM

Hot tub Time Machine

Really awesome comedy, personally didn't like the overall happy ending, but that's just me.

Angrist 04-06-2010 11:14 AM

Ponyo On A Cliff By The Sea. 8/10.

Best part is how cute Ponyo (and the other kids) is (/are). When she was runnign through the room with the lamp on her head... :D

magus113 04-06-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 266499)
Ponyo On A Cliff By The Sea. 8/10.

Best part is how cute Ponyo (and the other kids) is (/are). When she was runnign through the room with the lamp on her head... :D

The movie was cute, but I dunno. Something about it didn't really get to me like most of the Studio Ghibli films do. I really liked Howl's Moving Castle, Grave of the Fireflies and Princess Mononoke. This one didn't really do it.

Also I think Liam Neeson was poorly cast, he's awesome but this wasn't the right role for him. Unless you saw it in Japanese (I didn't because this stupid girl I was talking to didn't want to read subtitles), then go you.

Angrist 04-07-2010 11:16 AM

Who did Liam Neeson voice? I saw the Japanese version, which seemed to get all the characters about right.

I liked recognizing Japanese words. 'Hot' is 'hati', I wonder if that came from English (or Dutch).

I saw Ember City, which was ok. A bit weird and boring at times, but enjoyable for other parts.

magus113 04-07-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 266594)
Who did Liam Neeson voice? I saw the Japanese version, which seemed to get all the characters about right.

Liam Neeson was what's-his-face with the red hair. The tall guy that was making the potions and trying to get Ponyo to come back into the ocean.

Teuthida 04-11-2010 12:58 AM

Black Dynamite

Kungfu treachery! Man that was a fun movie. Might need a second or third viewing. A lot of subtle jokes with the editing and such. Know I must have missed a couple.

And an animated series coming soon. :)

The Germanator 04-11-2010 12:16 PM

Finally got around to watching The Darjeeling Limited last night. It was the only Wes Anderson flick I hadn't seen yet.

It has some really beautiful individual moments both visually and dramatically, but I feel like the overall film didn't really flow well for me. I still liked it though because I'm a sucker for the tone that Wes Anderson sets. Gets me every time.

magus113 04-11-2010 01:09 PM

I don't think I've actually seen a Wes Anderson film yet.

...nope I haven't.

Angrist 04-12-2010 11:11 AM

Tokyo Sonata. 7/10.

Good story about a Japanese guy who loses his job but doesn't tell his wife and kids. The worst part is that it probably happens there for real.

Vampyr 04-12-2010 11:22 AM

Finally saw Terminator Salvation.

I thought it was awesome, not sure where all the hate for this movie came from.

magus113 04-12-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampyr (Post 266922)
Finally saw Terminator Salvation.

I thought it was awesome, not sure where all the hate for this movie came from.

I liked it but ya know "T2 is the greatest and always will be" etc etc.

Definitely miles and miles away from Rise of the Machines.

Seth 04-12-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magus113 (Post 266904)
I don't think I've actually seen a Wes Anderson film yet.

...nope I haven't.

truthfully?

The Royal Tenenbaums is an excellent movie. I'd watch them in order starting with 1996 Bottle Rocket.

Rushmore has Bill Murray.
Same with Life Aquatic.

If you see The darjeeling Limited, make sure to watch the 15 minute short that goes with it. Hotel Chevalier

I have Tokyo Sonata, North Face(2008), Harry Brown, and Sonatine(1993) queued to view.