GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Last movies you saw (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17099)

Teuthida 11-18-2009 07:55 AM

Re: Last movies you saw

All three Ice Age movies.

I really enjoyed these. The first had the best story but the animation improves dramatically with each new one. Extremely fun.

Up.

The first 10 minutes were amazing. After that...well, I did not expect it to get that crazy. Though for the most part I did enjoy the--SQUIRREL!--talking dogs. Kind of wish it kept the tone of the beginning. I was expecting the movie to be a tear jerker after that.

Angrist 11-18-2009 09:09 AM

Serenity (third time). 8/10.
Great sequel to Firefly.

Swan 11-29-2009 04:02 AM

Knowing. I recommend NOT seeing this.

Acting is only decent for about half of it, special effects are really fake loooking for alot of things and the story is a silly bitch

Bube 11-29-2009 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 260545)
Knowing. I recommend NOT seeing this.

Acting is only decent for about half of it, special effects are really fake loooking for alot of things and the story is a silly bitch

Too late. I already saw it twice.

The Germanator 11-29-2009 11:47 AM

I finally watched Coraline last night. I really liked it. I was surprised how legitimately creepy/scary it was. Much more intense than most recent horror movies.

I also saw Fantastic Mr. Fox, I guess I was on an animation kick. It was really incredible. It looks so cool visually. It's weird having a Wes Anderson style of film be animated, but it worked pretty well. It deserves some Oscars for its technical achievements.

Angrist 11-30-2009 06:20 AM

Enchanted. 7/10.
Fun family movie.

Sunset Boulevard. 6/10.
Supposedly one of the best movies ever made, but I thought it was rather boring. Always interesting to take a look into older times though.

Scoop. 8/10.
Quite enjoyable movie with Woody Allen and Scarlett Johansson.

The Germanator 12-20-2009 03:27 PM

Synecdoche, New York

So this is Charlie Kaufmann's (writer of Adaptation, Being John Malkovich, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Eternal Sunshine) directorial debut. It's really quite a bizarre film, but there's something about it I can't get out of my mind. I don't think I could even begin to explain exactly what happens and how and in what sequence, but it's all pretty interesting to watch. The best that I can say is that it's a film about a man (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) who believes he is dying and he stages a play in a warehouse about his life as he is currently living it. It's very "Adaptation-esque" in that regard, very self-referential, etc.

It's probably not for everyone, but I don't think I've ever seen a film like it, and that's a good thing.

Bube 12-20-2009 04:09 PM

I really wanted to see Synecdoche, it was shown as a festival film here, but when I heard about it, it was already gone. Maybe I should buy the DVD.

Angrist 12-21-2009 06:52 AM

5 Centimeters Per Second. 7/10
Anime with a nice atmosphere.

The Untouchables. 7/10
Enjoyable Mafia movie.

Cloverfield. 7.5/10
Third time I saw it. It seemed like a good movie to watch with friends in a snow storm.

BreakABone 01-10-2010 01:33 AM

I saw Sherlock Holmes.

You really got to love RDJ. I can't make any claims as to how he was in comparison to the actual character, but he made the movie fun. It was an enjoyable movie, if not a bit slow.

Fox 6 01-10-2010 02:12 AM

Me and swanny saw Daybreakers. It was a really good movie, tho i had to wonder how many people were there because of Twilight.

Typhoid 01-10-2010 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox 6 (Post 261896)
Me and swanny saw Daybreakers. It was a really good movie, tho i had to wonder how many people were there because of Twilight.

I've been wanting to see this.
It's not anything like Twilight, is it...
I know where you live. If you lie to me, I can find you.

Fox 6 01-10-2010 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 261898)
I've been wanting to see this.
It's not anything like Twilight, is it...
I know where you live. If you lie to me, I can find you.

Nothing even close to twilight, its very bloody and awesome!

The only thing is ( and its pretty weird ) is that the main vampire character is named edward, and he doesnt drink human blood. Sounds familiar...........

Also Willem Dafoe is freaking hilarious in this movie.

Typhoid 01-12-2010 07:12 PM

I just bought "Moon".
I am about to watch "Moon".
Then I shall report on how "Moon" was.

Typhoid 01-13-2010 03:27 AM

So anyways, Moon was a really good movie - I thought. I can see why it got a lot of attention.

Without giving anything away: Some things from it were predictable, but I think the movie was more about emotion and connection, than to anything else.