GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Last movies you saw (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17099)

BlueFire 10-23-2009 09:03 AM

Re: Last movies you saw

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerGremlin (Post 259147)
Yeah, The Descent is one of my favorite films.

What's with American movies getting the endings changed though? The Descent has two endings, the happy American ending and the logical, scary and real ending.

The Descent has all sorts of symbolism and themes going for it. Plus it's this feminist-driven horror film (imo).

Did you know they made a sequel in which both Juno and Sarah are still alive?

..and it's supposedly following the original ending. Haven't seen it yet, but sounds to me like it was crap.

KillerGremlin 10-23-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takegiantsteps (Post 259150)
Did you know they made a sequel in which both Juno and Sarah are still alive?

..and it's supposedly following the original ending. Haven't seen it yet, but sounds to me like it was crap.

I just watched the trailer and it looks like crap. She clearly died at the end of the original movie. The American theatrical version left a window for a sequel with their happy ending, and it's too bad they took up the sequel. It looks really crappy, not to mention it's ripping off Aliens' plot.

Angrist 10-23-2009 11:23 AM

I started watching the series Farscape.
I went in expecting something terrible, but it was really ok. First episode at least.

Of course it can't touch Firefly.

Zen 10-26-2009 02:16 PM

Inglorious Bastards

This movie was great, I went in with low expectations, came out pleasantly surprised. It is a very dialogue driven movie, feels like you are reading a book at parts, awesome movie. Christoph Waltz steals absolutely every scene he is in this guy did an amazing job.

Bube 10-26-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zen (Post 259276)
Inglorious Bastards

This movie was great, I went in with low expectations, came out pleasantly surprised. It is a very dialogue driven movie, feels like you are reading a book at parts, awesome movie. Christoph Waltz steals absolutely every scene he is in this guy did an amazing job.

If Waltz is Hans Landa, then yes, I absolutely agree with you.

And I loved the dialogue and those loooong parts :)

Swan 10-27-2009 12:42 AM

Just watched Paranormal Activity.

Meh.

I do agree that most movies these days tend to go for the jump out and scare you approach but I think this one was too far at the other end of the spectrum.

TheSlyMoogle 10-28-2009 04:22 AM

I thought paranormal activity was probably the worst movie I've ever seen.

The only saving grace for it was the fact that I think the girl could actually be a good actress later. She had a lot of natural beauty and I don't think she was terrible. I think she might actually do well in a comedy type thing, like a sitcom or romantic comedy type thing.

Anyway not a scary movie and I think mostly I laughed at the stuff that was supposed to be scary. I also laughed at the girls who were seated behind me especially when I heard "OMG this is the scariest movie I've ever seen in my life I'll never watch it again!"

Angrist 10-28-2009 08:03 AM

I saw Twilight.
Was entertaining, I'll give it a 7/10. Without the hype, it might actually have been better received.

Typhoid 10-31-2009 04:07 AM

Law Abiding Citizen.

It was actually pretty decent. I would watch it again, not in theatres though.

Swan 10-31-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 259512)
Law Abiding Citizen.

It was actually pretty decent. I would watch it again, not in theatres though.

I really want to see him kill EVERYBODY

Typhoid 11-01-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 259526)
I really want to see him kill EVERYBODY

He does. The only person who lives is Jamie Fox. Even Gerard Butler dies.

The one thing that made me lol on the inside constantly is the look on Gerard Butler's face/lip expression when he's pronouncing things with a North American accent.

BlueFire 11-02-2009 04:07 AM

I saw Paranormal Activity last weekend. I also saw the DVD screener with the different (better) ending a couple of nights ago, although the screener did lack some good scenes that was in theaters.

Spoilers, in case anyone cares:

Maybe I bought into the hype, but I really didn't think this movie was great. I disliked Micah's character. I mean seriously... he starts off in disbelief, yet willing to film whatever may happen. Even after he witnesses odd occurrences, he's still not willing to do anything to help the situation.. instead he exacerbates the situation throughout the film by challenging the demon/ treating the entire thing as a joke. And seriously.. I don't know how much a 'demonologist' can help with the entire thing, but he was against calling the damn demonologist until his girlfriend got dragged out of bed one night.

...and seriously, what the fuck was the point behind pouring powder all over the floor? He knew the damn thing existed before seeing the footprints.

Holy crap, his character sucked... haha

Angrist 11-02-2009 06:57 AM

Outlander. 7/10.
Decent monster movie. It's always nice to see another culture (the Vikings in this case).
One complaint: the movie didn't have enough Arabs.

Also: The people of my generation are getting old. :( I saw this woman:

as somebody way older than me. Somewhere in her thirties.

Turns out she's just 3 years older than I am.

Angrist 11-03-2009 07:43 AM

Forgot to mention A Guy Thing. 5/10.
Just not entertaining enough. I guess I watched it for Julia Stiles, but she's really not that great in her role.

KillerGremlin 11-03-2009 03:40 PM

The Proposal

Saved by Ryan Reynolds who is just a fun guy who you want to hate but you can't. And seeing Sandra Bullock like 95% unclothed...I think she is sexy, but she's a bit of an enigma. She goes through phases where in one movie she is hot, then the very next movie she isn't hot. Hot/not hot/hot/not hot/etc.

As far as chicky-flicks go, Definitely, Maybe was a much better film.