GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Happy Hour (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Nerds on the Rocks/Dual Wielding FeedBack (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20994)

BreakABone 05-13-2010 11:29 PM

Nerds on the Rocks/Dual Wielding FeedBack

I know episode 3 is running a bit behind (its been recorded TWICE now), and I hope it is up soon, but trying to work on a schedule so we have to prepare for episode 4.

Magus will be unable to join us once again, so we have room for more folks to shower us with their best radio voice.

This week's episode

On Tap: With the upcoming series finale of both Lost and 24, and the news of Law and Order's cancellation, we take a look at how you end a TV show. And we make predictions for this past decade's biggest two shows.

House Special: The iPad. The battle for Flash.

Cocktail Chatter: As always our guests bring their most interesting news article to the table.

All this and morning, Sunday afternoon. Because there's nothing better for a hangover, than Nerds on the Rocks.

TheSlyMoogle 05-14-2010 06:19 AM

Re: Nerds on the Rocks Episode 4: TV and Stuff

I think I would like to be in on this one.

BreakABone 05-14-2010 08:57 PM

Nerds on the Rocks Ep 3: Of Iron Mans in 3D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/113726/Nerds on the Rocks 3.mp3

Ladies and gentlemen, we are just a TAD late this week, but finally after two recordings, The Nerds have returned.

This week Tony Stark joins the Nerds for a drink, and we promise he won't be dancing this time! Also, we look at the recent resurgence of 3D, but we all dream for a Holodeck. Finally, Cocktail Chatter ends the night before we give our last call. Some like it shaken, some like it stirred, but everyone loves their Nerds on the Rocks.

thatmariolover 05-14-2010 09:12 PM

Re: Nerds on the Rocks Ep 3: Of Iron Mans in 3D

I did include a warning in the audio, but if you want to skip the IM2 talk, go to 27 minutes in.

Teuthida 05-14-2010 10:14 PM

Good show. In the beginning I was like "Oh, Xantar's doing an accent for the intro....wait....he's staying with it....did he sound like that last ep...." Should develop that persona. Though would be kind of funny if sounded completely different for each episode.

KillerGremlin 05-15-2010 04:11 AM

It gets better with each week!

Iron Man II...1 thumb up....Nerds on the Rock...2 thumbs up!

Count Xantar was good, and I forgot how BaB sounds. I'll see if I can get skype going with BaB and someday I wouldn't mind contributing.

KillerGremlin 05-15-2010 04:16 AM

Also...I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught the scene from the trailer that wasn't in the movie. I mean what the fuck!

KillerGremlin 05-15-2010 04:31 AM

Aww and no one made a comment on Jon Favreau's self-masturbation super cameo?

Xantar 05-15-2010 09:36 AM

People kept saying I didn't sound like what they thought Xantar sounded like last week, so I decided to fix that. I did say that I was drunk and acting like an IGN editor last time, so I'm not sure why it surprised anyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerGremlin (Post 268728)
Aww and no one made a comment on Jon Favreau's self-masturbation super cameo?

To be honest, I had no idea it was him until long afterward. I guess director's prerogative allows him to put his head in between Scarlett Johannson's legs.

Teuthida 05-17-2010 09:39 AM

Dunno if you guys recorded yet but I gave up waiting for the logo to be updated on itunes and I uploaded the latest logo on DeviantArt to a group I belong to to raise money via commissions for this dude's cancer treatment. So that should get you guys a number of new listeners...hopefully. Would be nice if you could mention the organization on the show some time. Help each other out and such. http://screw-chads-cancer.deviantart.com/

BreakABone 05-18-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 268813)
Dunno if you guys recorded yet but I gave up waiting for the logo to be updated on itunes and I uploaded the latest logo on DeviantArt to a group I belong to to raise money via commissions for this dude's cancer treatment. So that should get you guys a number of new listeners...hopefully. Would be nice if you could mention the organization on the show some time. Help each other out and such. http://screw-chads-cancer.deviantart.com/

This is a pretty sweet cause, and I hope they remember to mention if not, shall record something to place at the beginning.

Also, what is the current staff looking like?
I know Magus isn't back until late Tuesday night so probably won't be around.
Xantar is around.
Moogle has expressed interest in doing it.
ThatMarioLover?

TheSlyMoogle 05-18-2010 01:47 AM

wait if you guys are doing it on tuesday I cannot do it. Maybe next episode as I'll definitely be free for tuesday.

Uhm I can do it from like 5pm to 11 pm on wednesday and thursday, and friday after 11 PM. This is all EST

thatmariolover 05-18-2010 10:19 AM

I'll be there if there's a slot.

Default 05-18-2010 06:39 PM

Just finished catching up on all the 'casts, and must say that you guys are doing an awesome job. The sweet-spot definitly seems to be around :45 to an hour - easy listenin and a good amount of discussion.

magus113 05-19-2010 02:09 AM

I'm in for Wednesday or Thursday night after the gym!

That's right motherfuckers.

I'm back.

Angrist 05-19-2010 09:56 AM

Who's the one that sounds like Cartman? :D

Edit: The name works, in the last weeks I assumed Nerd on the Rocks was a new TV show.

thatmariolover 05-19-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 268949)
Who's the one that sounds like Cartman? :D

Edit: The name works, in the last weeks I assumed Nerd on the Rocks was a new TV show.

Ha, not sure which of us you mean.

I was really frustrated with my mic because I felt like it kept picking up my consonants and I sounded like I had a lisp. Different mic maybe, or at least add a filter.

Angrist 05-19-2010 10:33 AM

Apparently I meant Earl. :p
(BTW, I don't really follow South Park, so I might have gotten it wrong.)

Anyway, that was a pretty good podcast. :) Perhaps next time you could focus on more topics, and not spend 20 minutes talking about the same thing.

thatmariolover 05-19-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 268952)
Apparently I meant Earl. :p
(BTW, I don't really follow South Park, so I might have gotten it wrong.)

Anyway, that was a pretty good podcast. :) Perhaps next time you could focus on more topics, and not spend 20 minutes talking about the same thing.

I have a feeling this is going to be a learning experience and we'll try out a few formats before settling on something. But I agree, smaller segments would be easier to swallow.

Default 05-19-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 268949)

After reading that, Nerd on the Rocks (singular) sounds better, imo. I dunno, comes off of the tongue easier and fits the standard drink format

Bond 05-19-2010 04:48 PM

I should be around if you need another host.

BreakABone 05-19-2010 11:12 PM

I didn't know I sounded like cartman, don't think I've ever gotten that one.

As for the name, Nerd/Nerds, I guess it depends on your taste. Either works for me, but since more than one person, I think prefer Nerds.

And segments, I generally framed it this way because you may not have enough content for an hour long discussion, like this week, we hardly have anything (?)

Teuthida 05-20-2010 06:12 AM

For content just skim any comic, movie, or game site for news and pick a couple that have an opinion about.

This week Nathan Fillion has been rumored to be playing Ant-Man in Edgar Wright's new movie. (OMG!) You could have a new segment called Rumor Brew or The Rumor Brewery.

Can talk about the trailer for The Cape.

Earl, you can go on and talk about seeing Kevin Conroy and maybe get into some talk about Arkham 2...and it's connection to a 16-year-old girl's birthday party.

If there are any TV shows that all the hosts of that particular week watch you could talk about that.

I don't follow game news...there has to be something worth talking about. Release of some new game?

There's always technology and science talk if anyone is interested in a new device or discovery.

Xantar 05-20-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 268952)
Perhaps next time you could focus on more topics, and not spend 20 minutes talking about the same thing.

With all due respect, I think that's a mistake. I could see us adding one more topic for a total of three topics plus cocktail chatter, but not more than that. I don't see anything wrong with discussing a single topic for 20 minutes. It allows us to get into the subject and really explore all the aspects. If we just try to run through a lot of topics, we're not going to have much of interest to say.

Default 05-20-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xantar (Post 268993)
With all due respect, I think that's a mistake. I could see us adding one more topic for a total of three topics plus cocktail chatter, but not more than that. I don't see anything wrong with discussing a single topic for 20 minutes. It allows us to get into the subject and really explore all the aspects. If we just try to run through a lot of topics, we're not going to have much of interest to say.

This. Perspective and discussion over a news rundown. However, if you guys decide to make a longer 'cast, then there's always the possibility of a news segment where, for however long, someone goes through popular news of the week or whatever

Angrist 05-21-2010 07:02 AM

Maybe you're right. Perhaps I should just have seen IM2.

TheSlyMoogle 05-22-2010 12:03 AM

Yeah sorry I missed tonight. I ended up getting caught in a lot of stuff. I'm in the process of moving :(

BreakABone 05-31-2010 12:28 PM

Dual Wielding is GT's newest podcast (because the first one is on such a great schedule :lolz: )

This is a more gaming-centric podcast that stars Uber_Paddler, Default and soccerant as they take you through the week in gaming.

This week, the gunslingers take us on a magical journey to the far reaches of space in Super Mario Galaxy, go Super in Street Fighter IV and look at things that go bump in the night with Alan Wake. In news, they cover the latest rumors about Project Natal, the announcement of Sonic Colors and of course the keytar. Finally, our hosts share their earliest gaming memories and even some nightmares. The guns are cocked and firing on all cylinders, let's get ready to Dual Wield.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6316931/DualWielding1.mp3

Default 05-31-2010 04:28 PM

Re: Dual Wielding Episode 1: Going Where All Men Have Gone Before

Nice! Turned out great for our first go. Great hosting/editing on Anthony's part, in particular.

Much thanks to BaB for setting this up

Xantar 05-31-2010 04:54 PM

Somebody was fiddling with a very loud mic throughout most of the podcast. Might want to look into that.

Teuthida 05-31-2010 06:39 PM

Might be the best sounding first ep of a podcast I've heard. And from the time you recorded to when it came out was super quick...edited and all all too. Hmm, didn't Nerds record at the same time.....

Sadly won't be listening much since I'm not much of a gamer anymore. Did enjoy the Sonic 2 and Pokemon talk though.

BreakABone 05-31-2010 07:43 PM

My thoughts on it, it was a solid attempt at a first episode.

Like with Nerds on the Rocks, some technical issues hampered the episode.

SoccerAnt's mic was a bit odd, sounded like was fidgeting with it the entire time.
Uber still sounds a bit hollow when he speaks.
I think Default sounded fine.

Segments just kind of ended. People would finish a sentence and then music would play. I found that a bit odd.

The first segment was a bit of a drag, as it seems like not everyone played the other's game, which I think is fine, but next time I think should share what games talking about ahead of time so the other 2-3 can do some research and have a general idea about the game.

I thought the second segment really picked up as they started interacting more often, it it flowed better.

And by the 3rd segment, they really seemed to hit their groove. I expect more of that interaction during the whole cast.

As for personal criticisms, I guess just Uber has a tendency to be quiet for extended periods of time, I know don't want to talk over people nor want to talk nonsense, but there were stretches were almost forgot he was in the podcast.

I think Soccerant works well as the host, and he seemed to keep everyone on track. I think there was like one instance where he cut Uber off when was making a point and kind of forced to move onto a new conversation.

Default, again spoke a lot quieter than expected, but other than that was fine.

All in all, I enjoyed it.

Also dug the music, and the fade in at the beginning. Yes, I realize slightly bias since I picked all the tracks, but still.

BreakABone 06-01-2010 09:40 PM

Instead of having folks suffer through 2 pre-e3 discussion podcasts, I figured we just combine the two podcasts, perhaps for the next 2-3 podcasts. Pre-e3 discussion, one on the conferences and maybe one on impressions/the show.

Anyhow, due to scheduling gonna try and get this set-up for tomorrow night (Wedn June 2nd), but it won't go live until Sunday (I hope)

So far the cast who can possibly show and Skype name
Magus- scarz0ftime
Xantar Xantarcube
Uber_Paddler- Uber_paddler
Default- mikedefault
Soccerant- soccerant1

If you folks want to coordinate a time and stuff in here.

Xantar 06-01-2010 09:43 PM

Re: Nerds on the Rocks 5/Dual Wielding 2: Mega Pre-e3 Edition

Magus and I had been kind of thinking tomorrow (Wednesday) at 8 EST would work best. If that time doesn't work out you'll have to go without me (which isn't a disaster. I'll just hate to miss it).

magus113 06-01-2010 11:35 PM

Like Xantar said, I'm down. I'll get to adding the Skype names around now

uber_paddler 06-01-2010 11:57 PM

I'll be around all evening.

magus113 06-02-2010 01:40 AM

At long last, Nerds on the Rocks Episode 4 is up and ready to go. Check your podcast subscriptions on iTunes

OR

take a gander at http://www.nerdsontherocks.com and you'll see some big changes.

NerdsontheRocks.com is going to be a place where new content and news will be updated, as well as Dual Wielding entries! The episodes of Nerds on the Rocks and Dual Wielding will be available for direct download from there, as well as links to subscribe to these podcasts in iTunes!

Dual Wielding is pending iTunes submission on a logo from our good buddy Teuthida whose also taking care of some other artwork for the website in general.

So on to episode 4!

After a two week break, The Nerds are back. In this episode, The Nerds tackle the grueling subject of video game movies. Just why are they so bad? Then they look at the shows that had their last giddy up in this past year. Finally, cocktail chatter brings all us news of inflatable karts. So tie yourself to the bar stool because we don’t want you falling off after a round of Nerds on the Rocks.

http://nerdsontherocks.com/?p=28

Teuthida 06-02-2010 01:55 AM

Re: Nerds on the Rocks - Episode 4: At Long Last

About 3/4 through so far.

The Legend of Chun-li is so bad it's...well bad...but it's funny bad. Worth watching for Chris Klein's overacting.

Got the idea for the DW logo all thought out. Just got to finish some paying work first...unless you know, you guys pay me....

magus113 06-02-2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 269464)
About 3/4 through so far.

The Legend of Chun-li is so bad it's...well bad...but it's funny bad. Worth watching for Chris Klein's overacting.

Got the idea for the DW logo all thought out. Just got to finish some paying work first...unless you know, you guys pay me....

Do what you gotta do first dude it's alright. The site is passing for right now so it can stay like that as long as it needs to.

Xantar 06-02-2010 01:19 PM

Links mentioned in the podcast:

A report on working conditions in a Chinese factory making Microsoft mice

I called Jeff Zucker an "embolitic coprophage." Wikipedia entries for embolism and coprophagia.

Also, why oh why do I sound least like Keith Olbermann when I'm trying my very best to imitate him? Acting fail. I'm going to have to work on that. Fortunately, you guys aren't going to have to put up with that for the next podcast.