GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Last movies you saw (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17099)

GameMaster 01-15-2008 12:54 AM

Re: Last movies you saw

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 216011)
National Treasure (1). Good movie, although some actors were a bit crappy. I'm looking at you, blond girl.

Blonde girl was the only redeeming part of that movie. Thank Allah she was in the sequel too.

Swan 01-15-2008 01:19 AM

Watched Pan's Labyrinth last night finally. Good movie.

Bond 01-16-2008 04:42 PM

American Graffiti.

Angrist 01-17-2008 05:28 AM

Disturbia, which was pretty nice. The end scene was too dark for my TFT monitor, but I got the idea.

Today I'm going to watch 1 or 2 more movies because I'm illish.

Fox 6 01-17-2008 08:45 PM

Endless Waltz

The Germanator 01-17-2008 10:40 PM

I saw No Country For Old Men and The Business of Being Born.

No Country was enjoyable and different than what I expected going in. I guess I wasn't sure what to expect, so I was pleasantly surprised...

The Business of Being Born is a documentary about the health care of newborns and how women giving home births using midwives might be the way to go. I was kind of dragged to this by my girlfriend, but it was fairly interesting nonetheless. If you don't want to physically see a baby being born and all the blood and grossness that goes with it, then this isn't your film.

Jason1 01-17-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 216125)
Disturbia, which was pretty nice. The end scene was too dark for my TFT monitor, but I got the idea.

Today I'm going to watch 1 or 2 more movies because I'm illish.

Disturbia sucked hard. Terrible in comparision to Rear Window, a classic. And Shia Lebuff is a homo.

The Germanator 01-17-2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason1 (Post 216156)
And Shia Lebuff is a homo.

He disagrees. See below.

Angrist 01-18-2008 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason1 (Post 216156)
Disturbia sucked hard. Terrible in comparision to Rear Window, a classic.

Rear Window is indeed a classic, I saw it a few months ago. But I still thought Disturbia was an enjoyable movie. Not a movie to remember though. But what movies are these days??

Ginkasa 01-18-2008 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 216162)
Rear Window is indeed a classic, I saw it a few months ago. But I still thought Disturbia was an enjoyable movie. Not a movie to remember though. But what movies are these days??

No Country for Old Men. Atonement. Two most recent. There's more.

KillerGremlin 01-18-2008 05:09 PM

Shia Lebuff always gets casted with these really hot girls, and that is a good reason to dislike him. I thought he was miscast for Transformers but then again that was a horrible plotless movie that was fun to watch, especially if you watched it with a large bag of popcorn. Disturbia, being a remake and all, was decent. The fact that the ending was predictable didn't help, but I thought he fit that roll pretty well.

Angrist 01-18-2008 06:02 PM

Was Disturbia officially a remake of "Rear Window"?
Hmm, IMDb faq says:
Quote:

The answer is No, not officially. However this film does have several differences between the storylines. This allowed them to bypass buying the original rights.

The film also has quite a few similarities to The 'Burbs. An early Tom Hanks film.
Basically the only thing they have in common is a guy who can't leave his house and a guy next door who they think is a murderer.

Anyway, I know that there are enough good movies coming out, but only 5% of the cinema-released ones is memorable in my opinion.

I just saw Secret Window, which was pretty decent. Reminded me too much of Hide and Seek, which I liked better.

GameMaster 01-18-2008 06:42 PM

I just saw Juno. I guess I was expecting something wacky with floor-rolling laughter. Because of the plot and good reviews and all.

Instead I was given a more serious indie film. No discredit of course. It was still good.

Except for that soundtrack. It was like being forcefully spoon-fed emo music against my will. Then again, that Juno girl is kind of emo so I guess it was only fitting...

Swan 01-19-2008 04:52 PM

Saw Ichi the Killer last night. It was good but to be honest I was expecting it to be much more violent. I was actually a bit disappointed but other then that I enjoyed it

Bube 01-19-2008 06:14 PM

Saw Im Juli and Dead Poets Society last night. Both were great.

Professor S 01-19-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 216174)
Basically the only thing they have in common is a guy who can't leave his house and a guy next door who they think is a murderer.

Ah, so the only thing they have in common is the plot. Thanks for clearing that up...

:unsure:

Fox 6 01-19-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameMaster (Post 216177)
Except for that soundtrack. It was like being forcefully spoon-fed emo music against my will. Then again, that Juno girl is kind of emo so I guess it was only fitting...

How dare you insult Mott the Hoople!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Angrist 01-20-2008 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor S (Post 216190)
Ah, so the only thing they have in common is the plot. Thanks for clearing that up... :unsure:

No, just 2 bits in the plot. And people call it a remake?? That's my point, what's yours?

Bube, I'm glad you liked Im Juli. :) I wrote down Dead Poets Society, will watch it later.

I saw Sling Blade yesterday. About a mentally challenged (is that the correct term?) who comes out of jail and has to adjust to real life. When he was a kid, he killed his mother and the boy that was lying on top of her. With a sling blade.
Great acting, nice characters, good story. 8/10

Professor S 01-20-2008 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 216195)
No, just 2 bits in the plot. And people call it a remake?? That's my point, what's yours?

So two bits...

Let me ask you this: Without at least one of those two bits, would you bother watching either movie? No, of course not. Without the murder and the inability of the witness to escape, there is no tension, there is NO STORY.

Those two bits are the entire movie. The rest is just character development and an update for modern technology and communications. They also turned the age down to market to the youth audience, and they did make sure to get that all important PG-13 rating.

Its Rear Window for teenagers.

Professor S 01-20-2008 08:23 AM

I'm sorry, I just realized I came off like a complete dick in this thread. My apologies. Its something I'm working on... :-o

With that said, Disturbia is still an obvious remake of Rear Window.

Angrist 01-20-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor S (Post 216196)
Without the murder and the inability of the witness to escape, there is no tension, there is NO STORY.

On a side note, did you even see the movies? It's not about the inability to escape, it's about the inability to do something about it. And not being believed of course.

Although you make some good points, it still doesn't make Disturbia a remake of Rear Window. If you'd argue that it's heavily based on it, then I would instantly agree. But a remake? What is your definition of a remake?

Resident Evil for the GameCube was a remake. Ocean's Eleven was a remake. The Italian Job was a remake. 1998's Rear Window with Christopher Reeve was a remake. Disturbia was not.

Aaaaanyway, I'm going to watch Paris, je t'aime.

Professor S 01-20-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 216198)
On a side note, did you even see the movies? It's not about the inability to escape, it's about the inability to do something about it. And not being believed of course.

So you agree that their plots are pretty much identical yet you don;t think its a remake??? A remake doesn't need to share the same name to be the same movie. They just need to be the same movie, and Disturbia and Rear Window are essentially the same movie.

And yes, I saw the movies. I went to school for film, so I've seen Rear Window multiple times, and the first extended shot probably dozens of times. Enjoy your French film. I find their sensibilities to be overwrought and self indulgent.

Angrist 01-20-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor S (Post 216204)
Enjoy your French film. I find their sensibilities to be overwrought and self indulgent.

I loved it, thank you. 8.5/10

thatmariolover 01-21-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor S (Post 216190)
Ah, so the only thing they have in common is the plot. Thanks for clearing that up...

:unsure:

That's not a plot, that's a setting.

Professor S 01-21-2008 11:14 AM

Ok, then the inability to escape and also not being believed when the murder is witnessed is the plot. And yes, identical.

Angrist 01-21-2008 12:38 PM

So I Am Legend was a remake of 28 Days Later (just a few survivors after the rest of the country has turned into zombies).
Minority Report was a remake of The Fugitive (man on the run because he is wrongly accused of murder).
Spider-Man a remake of Superman (super-human fighting crime in a city).
Sunshine a remake of Event Horizon (crew finding a ship in space with some supernatural scary stuff aboard; traitor among the crew).

Enough? :)

manasecret 01-21-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 216234)
So I Am Legend was a remake of 28 Days Later (just a few survivors after the rest of the country has turned into zombies).
Minority Report was a remake of The Fugitive (man on the run because he is wrongly accused of murder).
Sunshine a remake of Event Horizon (crew finding a ship in space with some supernatural scary stuff aboard; traitor among the crew).

How depressing... regardless of the discussion you're having, it's depressing to see just how derivative most of the movies we watch are.

Professor S 01-21-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 216234)

Actually I Am Legend is a remake of the Omega Man which was a remake of The Last Man on Earth (great movie) which was a filmed version of the novel I Am Legend. Your were close, though, and by close I mean miles away.

Quote:

Except for the whole precog sci-fi plotline, child murder vendetta and social criticism, I guess so. Once again, so close.

Quote:

Except for the fact that they are completely different in almost every way besides the fact they they both have superpowers that are nothing like one anothers. Not even close.

Quote:

Haven't seen Sunshine yet, so I couldn't tell you.

Quote:

Not yet, please keep them coming, this is fun.:D

Swan 01-21-2008 06:08 PM

There was no traitor among the crew in Sunshine. And the ship they found really wasn't full of supernaturals.

As well that isn't the plot of the movie:p

Typhoid 01-21-2008 06:15 PM

For once I completely agree with Strangie.

Angrist, you're way off on all of those.

Fox 6 01-21-2008 09:11 PM

Sunshine was about saving the Earth, not just about finding the first ship. It had nothing to do with crazy supernatural stuff either, more to do with the human minds ability to deal with the unique condition they faced, and the results of what can happen when faced with such a burden.

Ginkasa 01-21-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor S (Post 216236)
Actually I Am Legend is a remake of the Omega Man which was a remake of The Last Man on Earth (great movie) which was a filmed version of the novel I Am Legend. Your were close, though, and by close I mean miles away.

Is the movie I Am Legend a remake of The Last Man on Earth and The Omega Man, or just another adaptation of the I Am Legend novel?

Perfect Stu 01-22-2008 10:19 AM

Saw 'No Country for Old Men' a few days ago...I thought it was excellent. Acting and direction were as sharp as any movie I've seen in the past few years.

And Disturbia is obviously a modern remake of 'Rear Window'. There is no denying it.

Angrist 01-26-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 216184)
Saw Ichi the Killer last night. It was good but to be honest I was expecting it to be much more violent. I was actually a bit disappointed but other then that I enjoyed it

Disappointed because a movie wasn't as violent as hoped... :(

Typhoid 01-26-2008 01:52 PM

I am about to watch 3:10 to Yuma, and Hot Fuzz.

I shall report.

Swan 01-26-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 216465)
Disappointed because a movie wasn't as violent as hoped... :(

I'm.....sorry?

But yeah, I just checked out Logans Run last night. It was quite neat

Swan 01-27-2008 06:40 PM

JUst want to see Rambo with Foxxy and a friend. It was good, violent, but a little too short.

Professor S 01-27-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginkasa (Post 216263)
Is the movie I Am Legend a remake of The Last Man on Earth and The Omega Man, or just another adaptation of the I Am Legend novel?

I think the most recent filmed version borrowed heavily from the novel and the first movie (The Last Man on Earth), starring Vincent Price. My point was that the movie had essentially been done before and before the movies it was a novel.

Jason1 01-28-2008 12:36 AM

I just saw Rambo, not because I wanted to, but because I had little choice in the matter.

It was mildly entertaining. 5/10.

Perfect Stu 01-28-2008 04:20 PM

saw Cloverfield...it was alright. if you want to see this movie, see it in theatres...i can imagine it would be much less entertaining on the small screen. sit as far away from the screen as you can.

3/5