GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   The Walking Dead: The Television Series (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20033)

Professor S 11-29-2010 11:57 AM

Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

I think they are replacing the fenced encampment with the CDC building, which makes sense since the CDC building would be far more defensible against these more active zombies than cyclone fence.

I also like the addition of the scientist who has gone half-mad from loneliness.

My favorite quote from the show: "I think I'll blow my brains out tomorrow, but I haven't decided yet. But tonight, I'm getting drunk."

BreakABone 11-29-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor S (Post 273680)
I think they are replacing the fenced encampment with the CDC building, which makes sense since the CDC building would be far more defensible against these more active zombies than cyclone fence.

I also like the addition of the scientist who has gone half-mad from loneliness.

My favorite quote from the show: "I think I'll blow my brains out tomorrow, but I haven't decided yet. But tonight, I'm getting drunk."

I also like that this pretty much just throws you for a loop if you are a comic fan. Like it appears thatShane is gonna survive much longer than his comic counterpart, and while most of the characters ended up being zombie fodder, they did serve a hell of a purpose in this episode with some of the "death" scenes.

Angrist 11-29-2010 01:29 PM

The scene with the sisters was SO incredibly strong. Every part of it. One of the best scenes I've seen.

Really nice episode. Only 1 left for this season, right?

Neo 11-29-2010 04:15 PM

Someone PM me if they ever reveal what caused the outbreak.

Gracias.

Typhoid 11-29-2010 05:12 PM

To be honest, I didn't really like this episode. I mean, it was still a good episode - just in comparison to the others I didn't like it as much. However everything that happened after the scientist was introduced was the best I've seen from the show so far.

BreakABone 11-29-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo (Post 273689)
Someone PM me if they ever reveal what caused the outbreak.

Gracias.

I could be wrong, its been a long time since I've read it from the beginning, but I don't think it was ever explained. And is the why that important?

Fox 6 11-29-2010 09:27 PM

So is the series ended in the comic?

Professor S 11-30-2010 09:49 AM

What caused the "outbreak", if there is one, is irrelevant. As Hitchcock would say, it is the "McGuffin". Taking time and effort to explain the cause of the zombie apocalypse would 1) take away from the story and 2) cause inevitable disappointment because what the authors believe caused the event would fail compared to the expectations of the audience.

My big question is: When will they reveal that you don't have to be bitten or be "infected" to turn into a zombie? All you have to do is die of any cause and you end up a walking man-eating corpse. For me, that reveal in the comic was the most chilling of all; the realization that everyone will end up a zombie in the end... they are all The Walking Dead.

Angrist 11-30-2010 11:08 AM

I'm a bit annoyed by how the characters don't care about getting covered with zombie gore. Hacking in on your dead husband is nice and all, but aren't you afraid of getting infected?

BreakABone 11-30-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 273701)
I'm a bit annoyed by how the characters don't care about getting covered with zombie gore. Hacking in on your dead husband is nice and all, but aren't you afraid of getting infected?

I could be mistaken, but this hasn't been an airborne virus? I mean they've had zombie brains and guts on them before, and never got infected.

Also agree with Prof, the explanation as to why isn't important at all nor do I think the survivors care, doubt they are looking for a cure.

Teuthida 11-30-2010 11:29 AM

I'm with Angrist. They're a bit too reckless. It may not be airborne but with blood and guts flying everywhere there's a good chance you might get some in your mouth or eyes.

Angrist 11-30-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 273704)
I'm with Angrist.

Yay! Veggies united!!

So do you think this series could be recut to a 2h movie? I can see that working pretty well, there's a lot of boring stuff.

BreakABone 11-30-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 273705)
Yay! Veggies united!!

So do you think this series could be recut to a 2h movie? I can see that working pretty well, there's a lot of boring stuff.

I think the "boring" stuff is the heart of the series and the comic.

The moments where they attempt to live a normal life in the midst of all the chaos going on around them.

Teuthida 11-30-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 273705)
Yay! Veggies united!!

Veggies divide!

The comic is extremely episodic with no end in site. It's premise is a response to zombie movies where the characters either die or escape (and go where? TWD shows what happens after a typical zombie movie ends. They just keep living trying to survive.)

And if you think it's boring, just wait until the aliens show up. ;)

Angrist 11-30-2010 12:46 PM

What about mutant plants? Are they coming any time soon?

Typhoid 11-30-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 273704)
I'm with Angrist. They're a bit too reckless. It may not be airborne but with blood and guts flying everywhere there's a good chance you might get some in your mouth or eyes.

Maybe they just get caught up in the moment. :ohreilly:

The Germanator 11-30-2010 09:15 PM

It's definitely gotten better since those first two episodes. Looking forward to the finale + 2nd season.

BreakABone 11-30-2010 09:36 PM

Seems like they got rid of most all the writing staff

http://tv.ign.com/articles/113/1137550p1.html

Teuthida 12-01-2010 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 273708)
What about mutant plants? Are they coming any time soon?

Probably by season 3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakABone
Seems like they got rid of most all the writing staff

http://tv.ign.com/articles/113/1137550p1.html

That's a bit worrisome, with Darabont having wrote the worst episode of the bunch.

Fox 6 12-05-2010 11:07 PM

Since episode 1 I was wondering what he was going to do with that thing.........

:lolz:

BreakABone 12-06-2010 12:07 AM

Interesting finale, it really does change some things from the comics, but could just as easily get back on track.

Some good character moments as always.

Professor S 12-06-2010 09:05 AM

They're still establishing the universe. Basically the trip to the CDC installation was to establish that there are no white knights coming to save the day. Its a shame that's all that it was because I liked the Jenner character. He was far more fleshed out than 90% of the characters still in the group.

Angrist 12-06-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox 6 (Post 273813)
Since episode 1 I was wondering what he was going to do with that thing.........

:lolz:

Hm I've been trying to figure out what you mean for a minute now, but no luck.
Who and what thing he had since episode 1?

Decent episode. Strong ending, but the stuff before that was a bit boring.

I'll definately watch season 2.

Fox 6 12-06-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 273819)
Hm I've been trying to figure out what you mean for a minute now, but no luck.
Who and what thing he had since episode 1?

Decent episode. Strong ending, but the stuff before that was a bit boring.

I'll definately watch season 2.

the grenade. KABOOM! or was it episode 2 where he got it?

Angrist 12-06-2010 03:00 PM

So how did the woman end up with it? I'm confused. I do remember him getting it somewhere, but I was surprised to see the woman have it. I just figured she picked it up somewhere.

Vampyr 12-06-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 273821)
So how did the woman end up with it? I'm confused. I do remember him getting it somewhere, but I was surprised to see the woman have it. I just figured she picked it up somewhere.

She washed his clothes and found it. It was the episode where they were in the store and they went down into the sewer.

Typhoid 12-06-2010 04:01 PM

She even said "I found this".

Anyways, I thought it was a great episode. I really liked the doctor character. I wished he would have stuck around - although I do enjoy how bleak the finale was from his point of view. I'm also glad they killed off that useless black lady. She was a terrible character who seemed to only be there to fill the "Black lady" role.

Angrist 12-06-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampyr (Post 273822)
She washed his clothes and found it. It was the episode where they were in the store and they went down into the sewer.

Aah I remember that now. I think.

But would a grenade shatter bulletproof glass? I thought constant pressure from axes/bullets would work better.
Also, the guy trying with a chair was ridiculous, after the axes didn't work. :-o

Typhoid 12-06-2010 07:02 PM

After talking it over with friends last night, we thought it was pretty obvious what Jenner said to Rick.

(just in case you don't want to read a hunch)
Considering Jenner did blood tests, the secret was probably that Lori was pregnant with Shane's kid. Especially considering at the end of the episode the way Rick just looks at her.

BreakABone 12-06-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 273827)
After talking it over with friends last night, we thought it was pretty obvious what Jenner said to Rick.

(just in case you don't want to read a hunch)
Considering Jenner did blood tests, the secret was probably that Lori was pregnant with Shane's kid. Especially considering at the end of the episode the way Rick just looks at her.

That's what most people assume because how plays out in the comics.

Typhoid 12-06-2010 11:11 PM

Oh, does it?
None of us have read the comics.

Fox 6 12-06-2010 11:16 PM

Ive read the first trade

KillerGremlin 12-10-2010 01:54 AM

I still think the kid is the weakest link. What a poor casting choice...

I view this first season as a "pilot season" and think the writing will get much better once they know they have room and time to establish a story and a plot. This season was very rushed, and it seems like they could have spent more time drawing out the story, but instead they kept it moving to presumably keep the viewer's interest. For example, the CDC thing could have been 2 or 3 episodes. If this show was pure drama they could have really built up the character development too...but this is a zombie show, on AMC, so you obviously have to keep the show movin' and the zombies a-chewin'.

This series has a ton of potential, especially since they deviating from the comic by A LOT. I mean just look at what they have done to Shane.

Vampyr 12-10-2010 10:05 AM

All of the kids in this show weird me out. They do things, and other other characters interact with them, in a way that makes them seem much younger than the actor/actress looks. It's pretty weird.

Typhoid 12-10-2010 06:18 PM

I hate the kid. Hate hate hate hate hate.
He is a terrible actor.

Angrist 12-12-2010 04:56 PM

He had some bad moments, had some good. I didn't mind him, but he didn't add anything either.

KillerGremlin 12-15-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 273890)
He had some bad moments, had some good. I didn't mind him, but he didn't add anything either.

The kid literally becomes the lead character at the latter portion of the comics. That and he kills Shane. Unless they are holding out on the script and waiting to develop the dark little character that he becomes...I just cannot envision him filling the comic's shoes.

Angrist 01-07-2011 11:02 AM

My brother saw it and he hated it. He made me realise how frustratingly silly it is most of the time.
If it had been 12 episodes instead of only 6, he wouldn't have finished watching them.

Teuthida 07-23-2011 01:30 PM

Fox 6 10-14-2011 11:29 AM

So now that breaking bad is over, this show is picking up again. Given that they have diverted from the source material I have no idea what to expect. How many episodes is this season gonna be?