GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   The Pope Covered Up Pedophile Priests (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20710)

thatmariolover 04-02-2010 04:25 PM

Re: The Pope Covered Up Pedophile Priests

And now the Vatican suggests that the Pope has immunity because he's head of state. He can't even be called to testify. Talk about cowardly.

Typhoid 04-02-2010 06:16 PM

I honestly wouldn't call a man who knows the media would tear him 18 new assholes and then purposely fuck each one of them with a microphone 'cowardly'.

Vampyr 04-03-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 266258)
I honestly wouldn't call a man who knows the media would tear him 18 new assholes and then purposely fuck each one of them with a microphone 'cowardly'.

Pretty sure that will be happening regardless.

TheSlyMoogle 04-03-2010 08:34 AM

I think you should all go check out the newest episode of south park :D

It's entitled "Medicinal Fried Chicken"

Angrist 04-07-2010 11:19 AM

I like how the Pope admit that they have inadequate methods of selecting candidates for priesthood. :)

I read an article on why people still stay Catholic. Many of them are 100% inactive, but they're too lazy to withdraw themselves. That seems to be a bit of a hassle.

Typhoid 04-07-2010 03:24 PM

It's hard to get out of any religion.

People need to stop singling out Catholicism just because they might not like/agree with it's views.

Professor S 04-07-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 266622)
It's hard to get out of any religion.

People need to stop singling out Catholicism just because they might not like/agree with it's views.

I think people are singling out Catholicism because that is the religion whose priests are &%$#ing little boys, but I could be wrong. /joke

To me, the problem lies with a horribly outdated celibacy mandate. The relatively high rate of perversion is because many Priests are not joining because they want to sacrifice their libido for God, they are joining because they believe it will cure them of their sometimes perverse compulsions. The trouble is this cure puts them in a position of trust, and surrounds them with what tempts them.

Abolish the celibacy mandate, and I believe the rate of perversion would come down to normal levels and not be nearly as pronounced because they will attract more devotees.

Besides, celibacy is not mandated anywhere but in Catholic dogma. Nothing in the bible demands it.

Typhoid 04-07-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

I think people are singling out Catholicism because that is the religion whose priests are &%$#ing little boys, but I could be wrong. /joke
I'm well aware that you're joking, but it seems absurd to think only Catholic priests are the ones committing these crimes. There is no way that I'll believe no Muslims, Jews, Christians, Mormons or even Amish are doing it. It's just easiest for someone who wants to be close to little boys to fake believing in God to become a priest.

While I do, and don't agree with you on the celibacy thing.
I don't think it's priests who are so in the want for sexual connection that they go to rape little boys. Because A) If they're actual priests and believe in God, there is no way they'd think of doing that and B) That's a large assumption to make. If me or you are celibate, I don't think we'd resort to little boys.

Like I said, I think it all basically lies with the fact the Catholic church has a really weak way of scanning candidates for priests.

It's like if banks didn't have a vault, and left one person in charge of all the money. Now, upstanding citizens like me or you might not steal the money because we have fear of the law. But what would be stopping someone who wanted the job for the sole desire of taking money from the bank, if they never stop to think of repercussions.

Xantar 04-07-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

I'm well aware that you're joking, but it seems absurd to think only Catholic priests are the ones committing these crimes. There is no way that I'll believe no Muslims, Jews, Christians, Mormons or even Amish are doing it. It's just easiest for someone who wants to be close to little boys to fake believing in God to become a priest.
Show me the Jewish rabbi who was raping or molesting children and then had his crimes covered up by the very highest authority in th Jewish religion itself.

Typhoid 04-07-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xantar (Post 266649)
Show me the Jewish rabbi who was raping or molesting children and then had his crimes covered up by the very highest authority in th Jewish religion itself.

You're right.
Only Catholics molest children.
How crazy I was to ever think otherwise.
Thank you, oh wise Xantar, master of trying to start arguments over the internet.
I'm ever indebted to your giant internet cock.

KillerGremlin 04-07-2010 05:39 PM

I think the Catholic culture is run like some exclusive fraternity or gang or secret society. It's a bit of a Chicken/Egg scenario for me though, I'm not sure what came first: being a priest, or wanting to put your hoo-ha in little boy's bums.

In other words I'm not entirely convinced that Celibacy is the exact problem, although it may be a contributor. I'm not convinced because like all "vows/commandments/rules" I'm sure it is easily and often broken.

KillerGremlin 04-07-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xantar (Post 266649)

You don't hear about it because after WWII the Jews learned to keep their mouth's shut. :lolz:

I kid...I kid....I have nothing against Jews and I think you have a valid point.

The Germanator 04-07-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 266651)
You're right.
Thank you, oh wise Xantar, master of trying to start arguments over the internet.

Where did he ever say it was only Catholics that molested children? He didn't. He just asked if there's been well publicized case of a rabbi molesting HUNDREDS of children and having the highest authority of the Jewish religion cover it up, and there probably hasn't been. The Catholic church seems to be alone on that front, no matter how much you want to defend it.

Xantar 04-07-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 266651)
You're right.

Ok, let's try this one more time:

I asked "Show me the Jewish rabbi who was raping or molesting children and then had his crimes covered up by the very highest authority in the Jewish religion itself." That second part is the key there. I'm not saying only Catholics molest children, and you will not be able to find a quote from me saying anything resembling that statement. As you would know if you actually read this thread, we're talking about the cover up. The actual rape is bad enough, but things get especially repulsive when supposedly moral people in positions of authority conspire to lie and deceive the people they are supposedly ministering to in order to protect people who probably aren't worth protecting. And speaking only for myself, maybe I'm naive but I was shocked to find that the corruption extended all the way up to the Pope himself.

Now if you still don't get it, ask Strangler to explain it to you. His profound cynicism about Catholicism has (unfortunately) allowed him to understand things more accurately than I have.

KillerGremlin 04-07-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor S (Post 266625)

To me, the problem lies with a horribly outdated celibacy mandate. The relatively high rate of perversion is because many Priests are not joining because they want to sacrifice their libido for God, they are joining because they believe it will cure them of their sometimes perverse compulsions. The trouble is this cure puts them in a position of trust, and surrounds them with what tempts them.

Abolish the celibacy mandate, and I believe the rate of perversion would come down to normal levels and not be nearly as pronounced because they will attract more devotees.

Besides, celibacy is not mandated anywhere but in Catholic dogma. Nothing in the bible demands it.

I think the rates of child molestation probably would go down....

I have 2 commentaries I won't delve deeply into, but here they are:

1) I strongly believe there is a lot of undocumented homosexuality that goes on within the Priesthood (and within the Nun thing). And maybe I'm way off.

2) This may sound dick-ish but I always question why people want to become Clergy. All I ever hear are the canned responses, "I want to spread the word of God," or, "God showed me this path," and both response lack motives or broader behavioral/social considerations.

So yeah. I think there is a lot going on here and the simple solution is stricter screening for priests, harder punishments, and less immunity.

Or if you take a vow of Celibacy let's just chop off their man parts! /I kid I kid...again....