GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Inception (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21103)

ridkidjory 07-25-2010 06:24 PM

Re: Inception

THIS MOVIE IS FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC!! GET OFF YOUR ASS AND GO SEE IT NOW!!!!

Vampyr 08-01-2010 10:46 AM

I saw it a second time last night.

* SPOILER ALERT*

I'm pretty sure that he -wasn't- dreaming there at the end. During every dream sequence he was wearing his wedding band. Some people on the internet have been saying that it "clearly shows his hand" at the end, in his house...but that's his right hand, and he wore his ring on his left. However, it briefly showed his left hand on the plane, and I don't -think- there was a wedding ring on it.

However, I did notice that when they first visit the chemist, and he tests the sedative on him, he wakes up kind of freaked out, and goes into the bathroom. He starts to spin his totem, but then (Saito I think) walks in, and he knocks it on the floor. Unless I missed something, he never spins it again throughout the movie until the very end, in his house, and we never see what happens at that point.

In that case, it could be that the rest of the movie after him being sedated at the chemist's is a dream.

Fox 6 08-01-2010 11:40 AM

I saw it a second time as well. Still just as enjoyable as the first time.

Vampyr 08-01-2010 12:45 PM

Interesting easter egg in the music:

Acebot44 08-01-2010 04:02 PM

Short prequel comic for Inception that shows exactly what Cobb and Arthur are after from Saito at the beginning of the movie.

http://inceptionmovie.warnerbros.com/thecoboljob/

Bube 08-03-2010 11:37 AM

I loved how "dreamy" it felt. Great movie.

Xantar 08-03-2010 09:43 PM

Here's my take:

The ending is real. Whenever they are in a dream sequence, the top never so much as wobbles. At the end of the movie, it clearly wobbles. But by cutting it off just before the top falls, Chris Nolan is reminding us that the movie isn't real. Every quality they ascribe to dreams can also describe the movie.

Bube 08-04-2010 06:19 PM

I read an article about the movie somewhere on the web, and I really liked what it said.

The guy says that it fades away because Cobb doesn't care (he walks away) if he's in a dream or not anymore. The whole movie is about him going through tons of stuff just to get back to his kids. And in the end, he finds them - whether or not he's in a dream, he accepts the situation for what it is.

The message in this is that life is what you make of it (or something like that).

Angrist 08-14-2010 03:04 PM

I finally saw this, last night with my brother.

Great movie, but still a bit overhyped. Definately worth watching a couple of more times (but just not too soon).

Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but wasn't it suspicious that his kids hadn't aged a bit? And how he found them again, in the same spot as where he left them... Suspicious. But I agree with Bube and that article. Cobb chose that reality to be real for him. In the end it's just a matter of choice.

TheSlyMoogle 08-14-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 271720)
I finally saw this, last night with my brother.

Great movie, but still a bit overhyped. Definately worth watching a couple of more times (but just not too soon).

Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but wasn't it suspicious that his kids hadn't aged a bit? And how he found them again, in the same spot as where he left them... Suspicious. But I agree with Bube and that article. Cobb chose that reality to be real for him. In the end it's just a matter of choice.

Never tells us how long Cobb has been away from the children.

Angrist 08-15-2010 10:27 AM

True. Time passed slower than it seemed, because of the dream time.
But then there's still the way how he met them again.

Fox 6 08-15-2010 12:02 PM

Anyone else find themselves asking why didn't Michael Caine just fly the kids out to Paris to see Cobb?

Dylflon 08-15-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox 6 (Post 271730)
Anyone else find themselves asking why didn't Michael Caine just fly the kids out to Paris to see Cobb?

Cobb is laying low since people want to kill him.

Bringing his kids out would put them in danger.

Fox 6 08-16-2010 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylflon (Post 271748)
Cobb is laying low since people want to kill him.

Bringing his kids out would put them in danger.

Its only after he failed Kobol Engineering job are people after him, he could have easily done it before.

Angrist 08-16-2010 07:29 AM

Well, he might be a wanted man in the USA. The FBI might be looking for them internationally... ?

Fox 6 08-16-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 271750)
Well, he might be a wanted man in the USA. The FBI might be looking for them internationally... ?

Michael Caine mentions that, and Cobb says that extradition laws in France are very hazy and complicated.

Angrist 08-17-2010 07:12 AM

So is it a minor detail/plothole, or is it a hint that it's all a dream?

The Germanator 08-21-2010 10:20 PM

Finally got around to seeing this. I can't say I'm feeling "mind-blown" crazy about the film, but it really is pretty well done and imaginative. Parts of the concept and lingo made me laugh out loud and took me out of it a bit, but that was probably my only complaint. It certainly gives you a lot to think about during and after.

Angrist 08-22-2010 04:04 AM

I liked the movie, but it's not the best movie ever, like everybody said a while back. For the best movie ever, it's incredibly disappointing.

BreakABone 10-14-2010 12:09 PM

Movie is out on Blu-Ray/DVD on Dec 7th.

Angrist 10-14-2010 04:04 PM

I'd rather go watch Avatar in 3D cinemas again.

Teuthida 11-20-2010 12:32 AM

Finally saw it. Based on all the articles and such littering the interwebs offering explanations to what happened I was expecting it to be a huge mindfuck. All I knew about the movie going in was that it had something to do with dreams. Turned out to be surprisingly straight forward. Still very enjoyable. I much prefer Nolan's non-bat movies.

The PASIV machine bothers me though. At no point do they explain how it allows people to share dreams. You're basically just injected with the drug to enter a controlled dream state; just connected to it by a tube in your arm. How does that allow everyone to interact with each other in the dream? A little tiny suction cup thingy on their temple is all I'm asking for.