GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   District 9 (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20046)

Teuthida 08-18-2009 12:43 PM

Re: District 9

I enjoyed it a good deal but the fuel having the ability to mutant a human into a prawn? That was the one part that really pushed my suspension of disbelief. Sure their technology is based on their biology...but still. When Wikus's fingernails first started falling off I thought it was going to just turn into The Fly. Glad there was more to story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox 6 (Post 255566)
Christopher Johnson is the best character ever!

I concur. :)

KillerGremlin 08-18-2009 06:44 PM

I felt that the first 45 minutes of the movie was spectacular. But it kind of went downhill towards the end. Still, where are we at with Sci-Fi this year? Moon and now District 9. With two solid films I can't complain too much.

I liked how this movie payed OBVIOUS homage to Peter Jackon's pre-LOTR days. I'm talking the Braindead days where he went wayyyyyy over the top with gore and blood. I really liked how the Prawn's weapons just liquefied the humans, very satisfying.

The aliens looked amazing too...CGI has come a long way. I mean this movie had what? a 30 million dollar budget? And it gave Transformers 2 and it's 200 million dollar budget a run for the money.

Honestly, I will have to see District 9 again. I really liked the dystopia introduction and the surgery part of the film and the whole evil corporation theme. The action was fun too but it stole some of the cerebral sci-fi.

Combine 017 08-18-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 255721)
I enjoyed it a good deal but the fuel having the ability to mutant a human into a prawn? That was the one part that really pushed my suspension of disbelief. Sure their technology is based on their biology...but still. When Wikus's fingernails first started falling off I thought it was going to just turn into The Fly. Glad there was more to story.

Yeah, I was hoping it would make some sort of hybrid.

Typhoid 08-19-2009 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 255721)

The point got said to me on the ride home that made me think. At the end of the movie, you see "Main human characters name" as a full prawn, right? So what if all the other ones were once humanoid, but the liquid is so volatile it messes with your genes and turns you into that odd creature. I mean, clearly the DNA is special, considering their technology (That runs off of that liquid) works when they simply touch it, yet it doesn't work with other DNA.

gekko 08-19-2009 01:28 PM

Terrible. Easily the worst movie I've ever seen in theater.

Fox 6 08-19-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gekko (Post 255824)
Terrible. Easily the worst movie I've ever seen in theater.

The best youve seen being?

Vampyr 08-23-2009 12:10 AM

Instant classic.