GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   The Pacific (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20665)

KillerGremlin 03-23-2010 10:17 PM

Re: The Pacific

Quote:

Originally Posted by magus113 (Post 265498)
Am I the only one that hasn't seen Band of Brothers? I feel like a moron for not watching it yet.

I've seen a few episodes, and it doesn't do much for me. I find the history of WW2 very interesting, but I get bored easily with all the movies/TV Shows/Games that depict the war. Dunno why.

Fox 6 03-29-2010 12:56 PM

Damn those crazy Australians. If I were Basilone i would be pretty pissed that i was going home. Also bad move by Leckie pulling a pistol on his Lieutenant.

Thoughts by anyone else?

Fox 6 04-12-2010 02:57 AM

Been a couple of weeks. Episodes 4 and 5 have aired, and i think the series is starting to pick up. Thoughts?

Dylflon 04-12-2010 05:07 PM

I think last night's episode was the best so far.

Four was quite good too.

I've actually worked with a guy who is in the Pacific as sort of a background guy. But he went through boot camp and met Tom Hanks. Apparently he actually gets to do something in the next episode. He said he'd be operating a radio somewhere near Lecky.

Fox 6 04-12-2010 08:33 PM

From here on out the battles get very intense for the marines. It will be interesting to see how they portray them through only a few marines.

v1zzy 04-29-2010 03:03 AM

I really want to see this, I have the band of brothers set on dvd, i love it

Fox 6 04-29-2010 10:10 AM

I really thought last weeks episode (Pelelliu Hills) was the best episode so far. I also think that this series is a bit better than BoB, but that may because this is their second attempt at such endeavors.

Typhoid 04-29-2010 04:24 PM

I like The Pacific more, personally. It deals more with the psychological aspect of things, rather than just the one platoon and their friendship/troubles amongst themselves as BoB did.

Plus it's covering part of WWII that isn't covered too much.

Fox 6 05-03-2010 02:14 AM

I knew i recognized the guy who plays Sledge. He was also in another little Spielberg project by the title of Jurassic Park, as the little boy.

Fox 6 05-10-2010 03:01 AM

pretty powerful stuff, tugs at your heart strings.

Dylflon 05-10-2010 03:35 PM

Last night's episode was so fucked up...man.

Dylflon 05-18-2010 01:01 AM

I was the saddest when Snafu left.

I don't why I like him so much since he's completely fucked in the head.

Typhoid 05-18-2010 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylflon (Post 268861)
I was the saddest when Snafu left.

Agreed.
I've actually been thinking about that constantly over the past couple days, and how crushingly depressing that actually was for two reasons:

1) You've spent a long time with this guy and made a great friendship, then you just wander off a train with no goodbyes and carry on your pre-war life with no contact

B) You've spent a long time with this guy and made a great friendship, then you wake up and your friend is gone, and you don't speak or see him for 30+ years.

I liked how it ended, with going over the real people and whatnot. Even if they weren't major characters, it paid tribute to them.

Fox 6 05-18-2010 01:29 AM

I thought it was very fitting, not only was the actually physical war portrayed in earlier episodes, but also the social and psychological tolls taken by these guys.

I agree that the saddest part was when Burgie and Snafu left, its basically like parting with your brothers.

Well played Hanks and Spielberg, well played.

Fox 6 07-27-2010 09:50 PM

Typh and Dylflon.....

Anywho, this comes on out DVD and Blueray November 2, 2010. JUST IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!