GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Last movies you saw (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17099)

Jonbo298 03-30-2009 10:15 PM

Re: Last movies you saw

Went and watched Knowing last week. First half was OK, then it went waaaaayyyyyy out of left field and I just wanted to leave. Stayed though since it was kind of a disaster flick which I enjoy. This though...lordy was I not prepared for that.

Teuthida 04-03-2009 06:43 AM

Some movie about this hairy guy with claws. The name escapes me. Shame they ruined my favorite character. Makes sense (about as much sense as the film can make) within the context of the film...but still. :(

KillerGremlin 04-03-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 247978)
Some movie about this hairy guy with claws. The name escapes me. Shame they ruined my favorite character. Makes sense (about as much sense as the film can make) within the context of the film...but still. :(

Wolverine Origins?

BreakABone 04-03-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerGremlin (Post 247990)
Wolverine Origins?

I assume so, but he can't speak about illegal movies.

I saw let's see

Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer, an okay movie but it loses a lot on a repeated viewing.
Superman, a really solid movie that was one of the few superhero movies that clearly set up a sequel. I still hate the turning earth thing.
Cool Hand Luke, its funny how much 40 years can change something. The movie is good, but some of the "Extreme" moments are so tame by today's standards.

KillerGremlin 04-06-2009 04:27 AM

I demand Teuthida post his thoughts on Wolverine: Origins. Does anyone know what source the movie is supposed to be based off of, if any?

Angrist 04-06-2009 05:51 AM

12 Angry Men. 8/10. Maybe 9/10. Probably 9/10. Yeah.

Hancock. 5/10. Not as bad as feared. The middle of the movie was pretty nice, where he was learning to be a nice hero. The rest was pretty boringly random.

BreakABone 04-06-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerGremlin (Post 248055)
I demand Teuthida post his thoughts on Wolverine: Origins. Does anyone know what source the movie is supposed to be based off of, if any?

Well, it continues the story of the movies.. or precedes it being a prequel.

But as for comic sources, I believe mostly from the Wolverine Origins comics.

TheSlyMoogle 04-10-2009 01:25 AM

I saw Knowing. I figured out the entire movie pretty much 20 minutes into the film. Garbage movie. Absolutely terrible. I give it a 1/10.

BreakABone 04-16-2009 03:15 AM

Superman 2 The Richard Donner Cut
I think its a lot better movie from what I remembered, but some of the stuff mostly the ending leaves me ARGH.
-First off they use a new time travelling element like the end of the first film.
-Second, they keep the scene in which Clark goes back to beat up a dude at a bar. Superman wouldn't beat up a person just for picking on him!

Teuthida 05-08-2009 10:25 AM

Crank: High Voltage

Disappointing. I really liked the first one but this one was so disjointed and so insane that it actually circled around and became boring. Although when it went into Godzilla mode...that was brilliant.

Bube 05-08-2009 11:28 AM

I saw Knowing, probably about a month ago.. Wasn't anything special, and it was pretty obvious. But I must say, the plane crash was the best scene I've ever seen in any movie, because of the sound..

Angrist 05-08-2009 01:16 PM

The Hunt For Gollum.

A free fanmade movie which can be found on www.thehuntforgollum.com

Considering that it's fanmade, I'll give it a 7.5/10.
Not considering that, I give it a 6. Especially enjoyable for Tolkien fans.

TheSlyMoogle 05-09-2009 07:06 AM

The actor for gandalf... Mmm.

Teuthida 05-09-2009 10:16 PM

Special

I enjoyed it...I think. Much more depressing than I thought it would be...but- yes, a good movie...pretty realistically done methinks.

Ric 05-09-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 250273)
I enjoyed it...I think. Much more depressing than I thought it would be...but- yes, a good movie...pretty realistically done methinks.

That trailer was pretty good. I would not mind seeing that, especially in the state of mind I am in right now, as in, pretty wasted :lol:

Good recomendation.

Swan 05-10-2009 02:38 AM

Just watched Dead Alive.

God damn that movie was awesome.

Just...wow

Best Peter Jackson film yet

Teuthida 05-10-2009 09:51 PM

Suspect X

Very good. It's a continuation of the Japanese drama, Galileo, where a university physics professor teams up with a rookie detective to solve cases that usually at first appear paranormal. All of which are based on a series of novels. I watched the series last year which I enjoyed, but the movie was a step up and stands alone very well with a self contained murder mystery.

The Germanator 05-10-2009 10:07 PM

I watched The Hours last night. Not a movie I normally seek out, but my mom got it on Netflix so I watched it with her. I swear this movie came out in 2005 or 2006, but apparently it came out in 2002. Anyway, it's intense and dramatic and sad as hell, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Many good performances in it. I had to drink a lot of wine during and afterward though because it bummed me out.

KillerGremlin 05-17-2009 11:15 PM

I just saw Wolverine Origins and I just can't believe Stan Lee let his name get attached to that film. I guess they offered him large sums of money....:confused:

Anyway, we all know Origins was shit so I'll talk about the other film I watched, which was W..

W. was not very good...at all...Oliver Stone has some good ideas, and he's a great cinematographer. And Josh Brolin did a helluva job playing George Bush Jr. I wasn't sold on him at first, but as the movie went on his acting got better and the role became believable. And that's about it. The movie was exaggerated, made too many personal implications about the Bush family, and it kept alluding to Bush's God-agenda. It portrayed Bush senior pretty negatively too. But the weirdest part is that the movie was released right before Bush finished his 2nd term...why not just wait till Bush is done?

It was an interesting biopic, but it needed more humor and less exaggeration. And this whole, "Bush is on a crusade through some higher power" this was overdone imo. I'm all for the juxtaposition of religion's peaceful message and war, but meh.

I've seen too many shitty movies in the past 72 hours. Need to go clense myself with good cinema...bleh.

Angrist 05-18-2009 04:45 AM

Misa Mi. 6/10
A Swedish kids movie about a young girl who befriends a wolf in the forest. Wolf gets shot etc...
Gorgeous nature, interesting language.

Angrist 05-22-2009 06:07 PM

Flightplan. 8/10.

Had almost everything you wanted. Suspense, psychological doubt, atmosphere, good soundtrack, some action.

ZebraRampage 05-23-2009 12:28 AM

I just saw the new Star Trek movie last night, it was pretty good. It had a lot of references to the older movies/shows, and the plot was very good as well. It was a bit more flashy than most Star Trek movies, but that's to be expected in this generation.

Ric 05-23-2009 01:11 AM

Saw the new star trek, thought it was cool. I made comments about it in another thread though so I wont say more about it now.

I watched The Golden Compass, surprisingly good I thought, just left me wondering one thing at the end though which was... where's the rest of the film??? :wtf:

Teuthida 05-23-2009 03:16 AM

It's a trilogy of books so the story would continue into the next film...but it doesn't look like they'll be made.

The audio books are quite good. Different actors for every character with the narration by the author. Very enjoyable.

Jonbo298 05-23-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 251052)
It's a trilogy of books so the story would continue into the next film...but it doesn't look like they'll be made.

The audio books are quite good. Different actors for every character with the narration by the author. Very enjoyable.

Yeah...considering the first movie bombed pretty hard, it's not likely a sequel will arise and if it does, probably bomb harder then the first one.

Ric 05-27-2009 11:18 PM

It's a shame. It's a much better story and film than Harry Potter IMO.

Anyway. Recently watched 2 Japanese Anime's.

Paprika - About a dream machine that can allow others to enter your dreams and also allows you to jump to your dream whenever you want.
Of course the technology is mis-used with the concequence being everyones dreams beginning to merge into one and people getting killed as they have 'waking dreams' over which they have no control. There's much more to it than that but if I say any more I will spoil it. Definately worth a watch. Highly recommended. Available in English Dub.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - About a girl who realises she can leap through time and begins to do so in order to craft her life to the way she wants it to be. With some funny plot twists and an in depth story this is yet another film I highly recommend. Available with English Subs.

BreakABone 05-28-2009 12:27 AM

Street Fighter.. my mind now knows horrors beyond its greatest imagination.

How one movie manages to get so much wrong is beyond me.

Seth 05-28-2009 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ric (Post 251308)
It's a shame. It's a much better story and film than Harry Potter IMO.

Anyway. Recently watched 2 Japanese Anime's.

Paprika

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

It's funny how I downloaded both of those at the same time and watched them consecutively, that was half a year ago. They are both finely crafted animes. I'd recommend watching Mind Game(2004) as well.

Angrist 05-28-2009 03:31 AM

I watched Paprika a year ago or so. I just received The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, I'll watch it within a week.

Teuthida 05-28-2009 04:26 PM

^ All great. Think Mind Game is my favorite of the three. Awesome movie. Actually used it for some project for a class.

Just saw Bolt. I rather enjoyed it. A few plotholes...but still very fun.

BreakABone 05-30-2009 08:51 PM

Just watched Bolt on Danny's recommendation, not only is it not horrible, it was actually a very enjoyable movie.

Professor S 06-01-2009 02:02 PM

Outpost. It's availale on XBL Netflix. It's actually a pretty taught thriller based on Nazi occult research. Definitely a well above average B-Movie.

Ric 06-02-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakABone (Post 251312)
Street Fighter.. my mind now knows horrors beyond its greatest imagination.

How one movie manages to get so much wrong is beyond me.

I take it you mean the absolutly diabolical version with Jean Claude Van Dam in? I sincerely hope you do anyway. Dont let that put you off. Check out the Street fighter animated movie (anime) it is fucking brilliant. And you get to see Chun Li's tits :stud:

Teuthida 06-03-2009 09:20 PM

Coraline

I never read the book so I didn't know what to expect...but I did not expect that. It was like watching nightmare. Great visuals but very little story. Almost felt more like watching someone play a video game than a movie. The music was really nice though...soft spooky fairytailish.

Of the Neil Gaiman based movies/shows I've seen, sadly I think this is my least favorite. Hmm, I forget how I felt about Mirrormask. Think liked that more.

KillerGremlin 06-03-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ric (Post 251717)
I take it you mean the absolutly diabolical version with Jean Claude Van Dam in? I sincerely hope you do anyway. Dont let that put you off. Check out the Street fighter animated movie (anime) it is fucking brilliant. And you get to see Chun Li's tits :stud:

Anime tits don't turn me on. Isn't that weird because I set the bar pretty low. :lol:

Teuthida 06-04-2009 08:22 PM

Daytime Drinking

A lot of eating, drinking, and bad luck. I usually like slice of life movies like this but...I dunno, maybe I wasn't in the mood or the fact that I don't drink distanced me. Was ok I guess.

Typhoid 06-04-2009 11:52 PM

Last night I watched Babylon A.D.

And you know what - it was an alright movie. It wasn't fantastic, Vin Diesel is a terrible actor - and occasionally it drags - but the concept of the movie I really, really enjoyed.

I wouldn't buy the movie, however.

The Germanator 06-05-2009 12:05 AM

I saw Drag Me to Hell and absolutely loved it. I've been desperate for somebody to make a good new horror movie and it's not all that surprising that it took Sam Raimi to do it. It was over the top, legitimately funny, and best of all legitimately scary. A negative is Justin Long, but he was such a weinus that I kind of enjoyed his character just because he was such a weinus. Anyway, it's only half way through the year, but that flick is going to be tough to beat for my favorite of the year just because the hope I have for it that it may rejuvenate a stagnant genre that I really like.

Teuthida 06-06-2009 02:41 AM

Drunken Master

Awesome of course.

Ric 06-06-2009 06:32 PM

Drunken Master is great. You should check out a film called City Hunter if only for this scene -

:lol: But by far one of my absolute favourite Jackie Chan films is called 'Miracles' I highly recommend this film, it's a must see.

Just watched Battle Royale. A brilliant Japanese film about a class of school children put on an island and forced to fight to the death. Features Takeshi Kitano. Fantastic film, if a little gory and fucked up. It has one of the most cringe worthy bollock stabbing scenes in any film ever.