GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Video Gaming (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Final Fantasy Megathread (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20720)

Angrist 09-15-2011 12:37 PM

Re: Final Fantasy Megathread

It's what I've heard. Boring gameplay mostly.
My brother started playing it a few years ago... but I think he quit. He was trying to play through all the FFs, but some of them were pretty boring.

magus113 09-15-2011 02:08 PM

Some people can't tolerate the way games age unfortunately. I'm open minded to playing anything no matter when it was released or how it looks visually. Unfortunately PSX games on HDTVs are very hard to look at. That's why I either play PSX games on my CRT TV I have in my room instead of the HDTV I have in my room for my PS3, or find some other way to play them (for example, converting it for use on my PSP, or emulating using ePSXe since it supports not only game pads but saves are able to be transferred to and from the PSP and the PC using simple tools).

Unfortunately I'm still working through FFIV The After Years, Bond so I don't know when I'll be firing up FF7 to start getting through it. By all means, don't wait up though. We can always share the thoughts as I move along to catch up.

Bond 09-15-2011 02:30 PM

Yeah, the graphics are definitely horrendous on my HDTV, but I fooled around with the display features and have it at 4:3 now, which is much better.

Gameplay is great. I'm still a big fan of the ATB system.

Angrist 09-15-2011 05:25 PM

Good to hear. :)
The FF series is one I'd love to have played... but not to play. I don't like the repetitious battles in JRPGs, but I love the stories.

Typhoid 09-16-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 278554)
Good to hear. :)
The FF series is one I'd love to have played... but not to play. I don't like the repetitious battles in JRPGs, but I love the stories.

A repetitious battle in a JRPG isn't much different than repetitive fiends in a fallout game, or endless gunfights in Mass Effect.

I do get where you're coming from though, they break up the flow of the game which can bore some people.

Angrist 09-16-2011 04:23 PM

Tbh I also don't like boring fights in lots of games. I guess Zelda is different because battles are short and there's so much variety... and the whole game is about the gameplay anyway.

Now that I think of it, I pretty much play the same thing over and over again in Starcraft II... I guess that's different because it's also about the gameplay. I don't play SC2 online for the story. :D

Typhoid 09-22-2011 05:29 PM

Well I caved and got FF6 (3?) on my laptop. I thought I'd played it, but it turns out I completely haven't. I'm hardly into the game so far (just got to Figaro castle), and so far I'm pumped with how much nostalgia playing an old snes jrpg brings back. Makes me feel like I'm 24 turning 9.

On an semi-related note, I found out yesterday that they're making a direct sequel to FFXIII (whichever one had that Lightning chick in it). I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. I enjoyed that game, but I'm not sure if I enjoyed it enough to play a different version of it.

Anyways, I'll do my best to try keep some sort of update on my progress for no other reason than I've got nothing but thyme.

Bond 09-30-2011 10:25 AM

Okay, so... we have some new Final Fantasy XIII-2 trailers:

May contain spoilers, but let's be honest, it's not going to ruin the sure-to-be horrific plot structure anyway. Also, if this is the theme song ... ugh.

Edit: Apparently the developers are considering an "easy-mode." I am so excited for this game!

Angrist 09-30-2011 03:15 PM

Just give me an "CGI+story scenes only"-mode and I'll watch it. Maybe.

Vampyr 09-30-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 278774)
Just give me an "CGI+story scenes only"-mode and I'll watch it. Maybe.

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-.../dp/B000AMJG4Y

Typhoid 09-30-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

May contain spoilers, but let's be honest, it's not going to ruin the sure-to-be horrific plot structure anyway

I actually heard it was one of the better ones, and I had my hopes up for that. Don't bring my world crashing down, damnit.
I was reading they didn't want it to be like X-2, where the characters underwent massive changes between games. I also read somewhere that they want this game to be 'darker' or something like that. I'm too lazy and care too little to look it up and post it though.

Bond 12-10-2011 01:35 PM

Good news: Final Fantasy XIII-2 received a 40/40 from Famitsu.

Bad news: Famitsu gave Final Fantasy XIII a 39/40.

Angrist 12-10-2011 01:41 PM

Haha. :D

BreakABone 02-02-2012 06:52 PM

In honor of FF XIII-2, we've created a Top 5 FF games list
http://nerdsontherocks.com/top-5-final-fantasy

Just so I don't get in trouble, it was voted on by readers so whatever order it is.. has nothing to do with me!

Bond 02-02-2012 10:07 PM

I like the maturity of your readership:

Quote:

KRIG says:
February 2, 2012 at 7:44 pm (UTC -5 )
FF7 is truly the one that as made the FF serie fall apart
FAGGOT

Frank Garrett says:
February 2, 2012 at 8:42 pm (UTC -5 )
Shut the fuck up you stupid motherfucker. I don’t need to say anymore or correct your dumbass opinion. All I need to do is call it like it is.

You are an idiot. Not for disliking FF7 but just take a god damn look at that textual bowel movement you just pasted on the screen.

Dumb fuck.