GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Last movies you saw (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17099)

GameMaster 01-08-2009 11:06 PM

Re: Last movies you saw

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerGremlin (Post 243245)
I haven't gathered the patience to sit through Benjamin Button yet, so yeah. 3 hours...fuckkkkkkkk that.

Its actually real good. And the women opposite Brad Pitt is quite alluring. 9/10

Marley and Me 8/10 Good movie. But if you own or have ever owned a dog, this movie will bring even the toughest man to tears. I suggest seeing this alone so no one can see you cry.

The only thing that bothered me was that Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson are basically playing themselves. Neither one does anything to change their appearance. Jennifer still looks like Rachael from Friends. And Owen bears the same shaggy hair he has for every movie.

Teuthida 01-09-2009 11:30 PM

The Wrestler

Good movie but it depressed the hell out of me. I guess it wouldn't be an Aronofsky film if it didn't.

The Germanator 01-10-2009 12:51 AM

I saw Milk today. Very good. I didn't know much about the whole story so it was interesting to learn. Acting was good too. I saw it with my mom who lived in San Fran during that era...A very interesting time

Swan 01-10-2009 03:41 PM

Flight of the Living Dead

Your typical low budget zombie movie. Fun to pick-a-part

Bond 01-15-2009 12:24 AM

Slumdog Millionaire. 9/10.

Bloody brilliant.

BreakABone 01-15-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 243290)

Don't forget Seat Zombie.

The most terrifying Zombie who can't get out of his seat. :lolz:

Krypton 01-15-2009 09:10 PM

my best friend's girl.
pretty decent movie, i found it to be quite funny.

GameMaster 01-15-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 243290)

Playing at Sundance this year:

Angrist 01-16-2009 09:34 AM

Invasion of the Body Snatchers. 8/10

I always thought I had seen this movie, but I guess that was just some parts of it. Or I was too young to remember.

Great movie, superb ending. I was actually anticipating the last 10 throughout the whole movie... and it didn't disappoint, I laughed out loud. :)

Angrist 01-19-2009 11:48 AM

I watched some movies I had previously seen.

Titanic 8/10
I remember how shocking it first was to see people fall to their death. Maybe it was because I was younger, maybe because the times have changed.

The Bourne Supremecy & The Bourne Ultimatum
I decided not to see Identity again, because I had already seen it 3 or 4 times, and it's not a movie that will never bore you. Ultimatum was really good, although the story really started to repeat itself (Bourne wants revenge and his memory back). Supremecy was good, but a bit stuck between Identity and Ultimatum. It lacked the clever tricks of Ult. and the cool action of Ide.
Oh and the ending of Ultimatum is absolutely genious. Makes me laugh every time.

Szymon 01-20-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameMaster (Post 243252)
Its actually real good. And the women opposite Brad Pitt is quite alluring. 9/10

Marley and Me 8/10 Good movie. But if you own or have ever owned a dog, this movie will bring even the toughest man to tears. I suggest seeing this alone so no one can see you cry.

The only thing that bothered me was that Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson are basically playing themselves. Neither one does anything to change their appearance. Jennifer still looks like Rachael from Friends. And Owen bears the same shaggy hair he has for every movie.

I think I might have already seen this movie before.

Krypton 01-20-2009 08:53 PM

i saw Notorious today, and boy oh boy, there were some mistakes and just overall unappealing parts to the movie. Biggie is one of my favorite rappers, and i don't think this movie portrayed it THAT well.

Teuthida 01-21-2009 04:44 AM

Aw, that's a shame. Was hoping it was going to be good. I got into rap through Biggie about a year or two before he was killed. Damn, can't believe I'm the same age as him now.

Nighthawk 01-21-2009 07:23 AM

Pathfinder

bad...

very bad...

Krypton 01-21-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 243715)
Aw, that's a shame. Was hoping it was going to be good. I got into rap through Biggie about a year or two before he was killed. Damn, can't believe I'm the same age as him now.

well, i'd still give it a shot. i don't know if what i said really had an effect on whether you'd see it or not, i just thought it was kind of garbage. i think it could've been put together a little better than it was. i mean, for it being based back in the early to mid nineties, it sure as hell had a lot of aspects from later years (2008); cars, clothes, etc. like i was saying to earl last night, it just seemed too far-fetched to possibly be real, i mean for being what some call "the greatest rapper of all time", the least they could have done was make a half-way decent movie about the guy. i love biggie, but this movie was an ill-made portrait of his life.

Jason1 01-22-2009 06:13 PM

Saw Gran Torino yesterday, awsome, best movie ive seen in a long time. Eastwood is getting screwed out of an Oscar nomination, he was amazing in it.

BreakABone 01-22-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason1 (Post 243802)
Saw Gran Torino yesterday, awsome, best movie ive seen in a long time. Eastwood is getting screwed out of an Oscar nomination, he was amazing in it.

Let's be honest here... it was Clint Eastwood being Clint Eastwood with a lot of non-actor around him.

It was a fun movie, but I could see why it got "shafted"

Fox 6 01-22-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

It was releasing in 09, so hell be in the Oscars next year.

GameMaster 01-22-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Yes, that movie whooped Slumdog Millionaire's ass!

BreakABone 01-22-2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox 6 (Post 243814)
It was releasing in 09, so hell be in the Oscars next year.

Here's the problem with that... the movie was technically released in 08... limited release, but in the span of what people dub "Oscar bait" season so... it won't be nominated for next year... it just wasn't nominated.

Angrist 01-25-2009 09:58 AM

Dead Poet's Society. 8/10
Good story, enough humor/romance. And that actor's name Ethan Hawke sounds SO familiar. I know I've encountered him on IMDb several times, but I just can't find out where else I'd know him from.

Citizen Kane. 8/10
Golden oldie here. The ending was great. It's amazing how well this movie aged.

I also saw Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain again. 9/10
So many great details. A beggar who refuses to take money because he doesn't 'work on Sunday'. A woman who kisses the portrait of her late husband and instantly spray-cleans the picture.

Teuthida 01-25-2009 10:22 AM

City of Ember

Nice set designs.

Bond 01-25-2009 01:57 PM

Let's try to start making individual threads for movies in the new "Movies & Television" forum.

DeathsHand 01-25-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond (Post 243895)
Let's try to start making individual threads for movies in the new "Movies & Television" forum.

Prediction: Nobody will want to.

Not that I dislike the idea.

Bond 01-25-2009 05:33 PM

Worth a try. :)

Angrist 01-26-2009 09:47 AM

It's not that I don't want to make seperate threads... I just don't think it's worth it.

Last movie I saw:
Toy Soldiers. 6/10
It was a weird combo. It felt like a kids movie (like the Goonies), except for all the killing and sexually loaded chats.

I started watching Dogma, but I quickly discovered it was about angels and demons on earth. No thank you, me don't like.

Angrist 02-02-2009 08:42 AM

Doublepost incoming!

The Pelican Brief. 7/10. Decent Grisham adaptation. Julia Roberts isn't such a good actress, is she? And I never really understood the obsession with her looks.

Labyrinth. 7/10. A bit creepy, somehow.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape (2nd watch). 8/10. Acting is great, the story is good, the endig is nice.

Abre Los Ojos (2nd watch; later remade as Vanilla Sky). 9/10. Great concept, executed very well.

Krypton 02-03-2009 12:23 PM

i just finished watching I Am Legend with my responding to emergencies class, it was good. and now i have to write a paper on pandemic's.

Teuthida 02-03-2009 05:19 PM

Tried watching the live action Death Note movie. Couldn't get all the way through it.

Typhoid 02-03-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypton (Post 244343)
i just finished watching I Am Legend with my responding to emergencies class, it was good. and now i have to write a paper on pandemic's.

Be sure to focus your paper on how to specifically prevent a zombie pandemic.

BreakABone 02-03-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypton (Post 244343)

Wasn't a huge fan of the movie.
Actually haven't been a fan of many of Smith's recent movies.
By any chance, is there any book comparison in the class?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 244372)
Be sure to focus your paper on how to specifically prevent a zombie pandemic.

And how would you go about preventing the spread of zombies?

Typhoid 02-03-2009 06:21 PM

I am in no way, shape or form eligible to decide how to prevent zombies.
One would have to assume you'd have to identify what is causing the spread though - be it exposure, chemical reaction, genetics, or a bite/scratch of some kind.

Then you would have to determine the average speed the zombies travel at, and the cognitive skills they posses as well as dexterity levels. Are they capable of speech, reason, thought, any general forms of rationalization?

Then you would have to determine the best way to get rid of the infestation, whether it be to exterminate all living zombies, or to come up with some sort of anti-virus to prevent further spread, as well as exterminating all zombies. You would have to find if the strain is passable onto animals as well - and if so - what animals/insects are able to be infected, and what happens when such happens.

Do these zombies sleep, do they avoid daylight? Can they swim? Do they climb? All of these are reasonable and valid questions you would need to solve before you even figure out where to begin on a zombie prevention plan.

Bond 02-04-2009 12:06 AM

I strongly urge everyone to post in the new Movies & TV forum.

Angrist 02-04-2009 10:23 AM

There are some cool online tests to see how big the chance is you'd survive a zombie outbreak.

Teuthida 02-04-2009 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond (Post 244412)
I strongly urge everyone to post in the new Movies & TV forum.

Why not move this thread there?

BreakABone 02-04-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 244376)
I am in no way, shape or form eligible to decide how to prevent zombies.
One would have to assume you'd have to identify what is causing the spread though - be it exposure, chemical reaction, genetics, or a bite/scratch of some kind.

Then you would have to determine the average speed the zombies travel at, and the cognitive skills they posses as well as dexterity levels. Are they capable of speech, reason, thought, any general forms of rationalization?

Then you would have to determine the best way to get rid of the infestation, whether it be to exterminate all living zombies, or to come up with some sort of anti-virus to prevent further spread, as well as exterminating all zombies. You would have to find if the strain is passable onto animals as well - and if so - what animals/insects are able to be infected, and what happens when such happens.

Do these zombies sleep, do they avoid daylight? Can they swim? Do they climb? All of these are reasonable and valid questions you would need to solve before you even figure out where to begin on a zombie prevention plan.

I think this is a fine start to a Zombie Prevention and Survival Guide.
Just need to expand your ideas. And maybe do some research on known zombies *coughCamcough*

Teuthida 02-04-2009 08:38 PM

Let the Right One In

Very very good. It's a Swedish romantic horror film about a 12 year old boy who befriends a vampire.

Won a crapload of awards if that's the sort of thing that matters to you. There's going to be remake by the Cloverfield director but will be adapted from the book instead of copying the movie.

It gets the Teuthida seal of approval.

The Germanator 02-04-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teuthida (Post 244500)
Let the Right One In

Very very good. It's a Swedish romantic horror film about a 12 year old boy who befriends a vampire.

Won a crapload of awards if that's the sort of thing that matters to you. There's going to be remake by the Cloverfield director but will be adapted from the book instead of copying the movie.

It gets the Teuthida seal of approval.

Ah, this was recommended by my brother and I really want to see it. Unfortuantely I don't think it's playing anywhere near; unless I count NYC as near, but I don't...

Acebot44 02-07-2009 02:45 PM

Saw "He's Just Not That Into You" last night. Enjoyed it very much :p

I think it provides a somewhat accurate portrayal of the differing perspectives of men and women in relationships and the dating scene. However, the movie seems to place women as victims with the exception of one relationship. All in all though, It was worth the watch and you guys should probably check it out before the hypebeast takes hold.

GameMaster 02-08-2009 03:31 AM

I saw Taken starring Liam Neeson.

Highly entertaining. Good movie.