PDA

View Full Version : how I somehow screwed over EB

Perfect Stu
10-14-2004, 08:29 PM
OK, I knew the PStwo recently came out, and I heard about the EB trade in deal from Null.

I had to go to the mall today to talk to a Telus rep, so I strolled into EB and low and behold, the first shipment of PStwos had just arrived and the staff were marveling at the size of the thing (it's REALLY tiny). I talked to a girl that was working there about trade in deals...she said $100 for a working PS2, $75 for one that no longer reads discs but has a running 'motor'.

I was intrigued by the deal because I had both a working PS2 and a busted one. That would *almost* pay for the new PStwo. I went home and realized I bought an extended warranty on my *working* PS2 that was BARELY still intact. I managed talking my way into SWAPPING the working PS2 with warranty for the PStwo, and I got the $75 for my broken PS2...so I preorderd GTA: San Andreas in full, just need to pick it up on the 26th.

So I trade in a broken launch PS2 and my 10 month old PS2 for the sleek, sexy, tiny little PStwo and GTA: San Andreas.

Somebody explain to me how that's fair for them? :p :D

Typhoid
10-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Somebody explain to me how that's fair for them? :p :D

Well, you see, the PStwo you got contains a little gremlin inside of it that periodically steals your money while you sleep at night. Thusly paying back the price.

Either that or EB is on some major crack.

Joeiss
10-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Sweet deal man. That sounds nuts. A working system and a non working system, for a better working system and a sick game. Not shabby.

dropCGCF
10-14-2004, 09:24 PM
It's probably worth it to them to recycle the motors and such. You might have gotten a factory defect, too, so watch out.

DeathsHand
10-14-2004, 10:23 PM
It's probably worth it to them to recycle the motors and such. You might have gotten a factory defect, too, so watch out.

Or maybe they know a secret way to fix it so that they pay 75 bucks for it but then cast a spell to make it work (free of cost) and sell it back to the public for 100+... :sneaky:

GameMaster
10-14-2004, 10:45 PM
So are we all in agreement that Stu got swindled like a blind man at an ATM machine? ;)

Congratulations Stu, if you could post a picture of it, that's be cool. I haven't seen a picture of it in a real environment where it's small size is noticeable.

Perfect Stu
10-15-2004, 11:48 PM
here are some pictures from somebody else's PStwo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/DawggyB2006/pstwo8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/DawggyB2006/pstwo1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/DawggyB2006/pstwo4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/DawggyB2006/pstwo6.jpg

As you can see...the thing is damn tiny

Perfect Stu
10-16-2004, 12:08 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/jeffereyj/pstwo_stacked.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/DawggyB2006/xbox_pstwo3.jpg

:lol:

Typhoid
10-16-2004, 12:16 AM
Meh.

I couldnt care less. It doesnt really save too much space.

Sure, its small vertically, but they have a pop-up flap thing which makes it impossible to wedge into a confined area.

Yes, however, Horizontally, it is a demon in the sack. But still, im not into it because it has the flip up flap thing....the days of PSone is over my friends.

DarkMaster
10-16-2004, 12:23 AM
Meh.

I couldnt care less. It doesnt really save too much space.

Sure, its small vertically, but they have a pop-up flap thing which makes it impossible to wedge into a confined area.

Yes, however, Horizontally, it is a demon in the sack. But still, im not into it because it has the flip up flap thing....the days of PSone is over my friends.
Yeah, we have a gamecube to do that for us already.

Perfect Stu
10-16-2004, 01:34 AM
personally, I hate loading trays...the flip top lid is a great addition

Dylflon
10-16-2004, 03:58 AM
I'm going to get my busted PS2 back and possibly do the same thing.

Vampyr
10-16-2004, 09:51 AM
personally, I hate loading trays...the flip top lid is a great addition

I never have liked the flip top lids because I thought they were more of a safety hazard for my systems. It seems like it's so much easier for dust to fly in there and land on the lens when you are using a flip lid.

Joeiss
10-16-2004, 11:05 AM
I think they both suck. They should have something like CD holder of a CD radio in a car. That is much better.

Perfect Stu
10-16-2004, 02:54 PM
yeah the disc slot...that's what the PSX has (Sony's multimedia beast) and Im betting PS3 and maybe other next gen system(s) will have.

GameMaster
10-16-2004, 03:03 PM
You must mean a slot loading drive. Much like the one on my iMac and in my mom's Toyota. Yes, that would be nice.

Typhoid
10-16-2004, 05:22 PM
I dont really see what good a PStwo is. I have a PS2, it works fine. I need no space. Its just a smart scheme to make more money planned by Sony, and it works. Why dont they make this smaller compact version instead of the big clunky one on release date hmm?

I think its all about the allmighty dollar.

The Germanator
10-16-2004, 05:26 PM
I think its all about the allmighty dollar.

Really? Since when did the process of selling products to consumers become about money? You're crazy.

DarkMaster
10-16-2004, 05:27 PM
If anyone needs to release a small version of their system, it's Microsoft. The Xbox is seriously huge.

Typhoid
10-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Really? Since when did the process of selling products to consumers become about money? You're crazy.

I wasnt talking just thatr though, because duh its about money.

Im talking about the re-releasal of the same friggin product. Nothing is updated, nothing is new. Its just smaller. So why dont they just make the smaller version on release instead of the clunky one? Because then they wouldnt be able to re-release the compact version and make huge profit off of the countless mindless drones who dont notice the system will be vauguely obsolete soon enough.

No offense to PStwo owners.

Perfect Stu
10-17-2004, 12:15 AM
you're joking Typhoid, right?

1) if you bothered reading my post, I didnt pay anyone any money for the system
2) the reason why they didnt release this size of a system at launch is because with the current technology, they simply couldnt

and yep, it's all about the money. I wouldnt recommend anyone buying this if they already have a perfectly fine PS2 at home...

Typhoid
10-17-2004, 12:17 AM
1) if you bothered reading my post, I didnt pay anyone any money for the system
2) the reason why they didnt release this size of a system at launch is because with the current technology, they simply couldnt

They dont have the technology!? HA!

They can make MP3 players the size of half of a pencil(length), portable PSones(basically), ipods that can carry thousands of songs, but yet they cannot microsize the PS2.

HA!

Joeiss
10-17-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm sure they could get better, smaller parts into the system at release date... but then wouldn't it cost a bunch more?

Sony is just taking a page out of Nintendo's book. GameBoy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy colour, etc etc.

Swan
10-17-2004, 04:34 PM
If anyone needs to release a small version of their system, it's Microsoft. The Xbox is seriously huge.
It's freakishly huge. You could easily bludgeon someone with the Xbox.

Null
10-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Sony is just taking a page out of Nintendo's book.

Actually, its not just sony. making a smaller version late in its life is not a new thing by far...

NES had a smaller version
SNES had a smaller version
Genesis had a smaller version
Genesis/SegaCD had a combo smaller system that doubled as a CD walkman.

not just the gameboys.
its because they can get smaller parts at a cheaper price that are just too expensive to do when it launches.

And there some quite good reasons for switching to the small one, the PStwo, is 70% quieter, and i hear it loads games faster than the normal PS2.

On the subject of flip lids verse trays, flip lids are better, they have faster easier loading, less things to go wrong, allow for the console to be smaller because it doesnt need the motor and extra parts for the slide out. Plus it allows you to do more by making it easier to use boot discs. old ps2 version was a pain to use a boot disc on, they had some, but you had to take off the front panel, use some hook tool and pull the tray out manually, because the system restarts if you just press eject.

Perfect Stu
10-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Typh...they couldnt make the PS2 smaller in 1999. Well, maybe a LITTLE...but it would have probably added to manufacturing costs.

Did Microsoft just FEEL like making the XBox as big as it is? NO...they HAD to make it approx that size to fit the tech inside of it.

But DM is right, they should, by now, have found a way to make a smaller system.

Sony has found ways of minimizing costs and potential size of the PS2 technology, so they naturally release a smaller version of it. What part of that DONT you understand?

Acebot44
10-17-2004, 11:08 PM
I think there was some talk (or maybe just my imagination) of Microsoft releasing a smaller version of the Xbox. I don't really see a point in making it smaller though.

Any 12 year old girl could move an xbox and it's not like we (or at least me) need to rearrange our consoles a lot.