PDA

View Full Version : I have a question for those that play Final Fantasy XI.

tarakan69
07-04-2004, 10:31 PM
When will PVP (Player VS Player) and RVR (Realm VS Realm) be implemented in the game??

As my friend who was beta testing WOW was VERY dissapointed... and we will most likely both start FFXI.

Can you please expand on the RVR and PVP situation in FFXI.

EDIT: Also how MANY jobs can your 1 character learn?? And can I do combo of 3+ jobs?

Hero2
07-04-2004, 10:57 PM
PVP in FFXI is a joke. you have to pay a certain amount of gil to get into it you win nothing and if you lvl a job like whm your useless in PVP. its already out but I dont think anyone does it.

as for jobs one char can take ALL jobs to lvl 75(the lvl cap) and once you hit lvl 18 you have the choice of chosing a subjob. its basicly there to improve the stats of your first job.at any time you can switch subjobs and main jobs in your mog house. you can also put furniture in your mog house although noone will see it but you :(

The game depends heavly on grouping with others to get anyware in the game theres also alot of n00bs. But overall is an addictive game and lots of fun >.> most times. :p

tarakan69
07-05-2004, 12:42 AM
I want to be a Black Mage/ Red Mage... or Black Mage/ White Mage.

Now my question is... can I use spells/abilities of BOTH classes at the same time??

Cause I think it's pretty lame if a sub job exists for the simple fact of stat boosting.

I heard those types of characters are always in demand... so that's a good thing.

Crono
07-05-2004, 10:13 AM
I want to be a Black Mage/ Red Mage... or Black Mage/ White Mage.

Now my question is... can I use spells/abilities of BOTH classes at the same time??

Cause I think it's pretty lame if a sub job exists for the simple fact of stat boosting.

I heard those types of characters are always in demand... so that's a good thing.

Yes, in fact, most BLM sub WHM. You will learn the abilties of the WHM, but, your sub job can only be half of your main job. Example, if you are level 50 Black Mage, you will actually be BLM50/WHM25, so you can have any WHM available to you up to WHM level 25. However, you can choose to make WHM your main job (you will have to anyway if you are to level your sub), and say if you bring it to level 30, you can use any WHM ability up to 30, as long as it's your main job.

Example, right now I am leveling Samurai. My Warrior job is at level 30, but right now my Samurai is 25, so I'm actually a SAM25/WAR12. Warrior is still level 30, but just reduced to half of my main job's level.

The only ability you won't learn is the 2 hour special move of every job, it's the ability that takes 2 real hours to recharge itself.

Oh, and the main reasion why most BLM will sub WHM is that it gives you a nice mp boost, that, and you can also be used as a secondary healer. However your main role in a party will be to inflict some of the highest damage with your black magic spells.

And, like Hero2 said, you can always switch jobs, but can only have 2 current ones, your main and sub.

And just so you know in case you ever decide to be anything else, generally certain jobs go together. Example, all advanced melee jobs (Paladin, Dark Knight, Samurai, Ninja, Dragoon) pretty much require WAR sub, but THF works in some cases. If you're a BLM you should sub WHM, vice versa. And if you're a RDM, sub either BLM or WHM, it's up to you.

DarkMaster
07-05-2004, 01:59 PM
PVP in FFXI right now is not the final, full PVP system. The PVP that currently exists is called Ballista, its a game form of PVP implemented so the developers can get a feel for this type of system in the game and so players can adapt to and try it out. Ballista is PVP as well as RVR, whereas the 3 nations of which your character can belong to will battle against each other. You pay a fee to enter, and the winners get Conquest Points for your nation in the area you fought, as well the pool of money from people entering is given to each member of the winning nation.

Basically its two nations at a time, and you'll run around in a capture the flag type game. You uncover orb thingies around the area and your goal is to shoot these orbs into the opposing nation's rook statue thing. You gain points for every successful one, you also gain points for every opposing player you kill. I haven't actually played it yet but I hear from most people in my Linkshell that it's very fun. I'd think that the release of the new expansion this fall will expand on this PVP system a lot more, so until then Ballista is just a fun alternative.

Typhoid
07-05-2004, 05:01 PM
So they are making an expansion to FFXI? An expansion that allows PvP hopefully, then i can like, go around and kill people for money and stuff. Well, i'd buy the game first.

The whole thing making me not buy the game is 1) monthly fee, i think monthly fees are crap, you already bought the game, now why do you have to pay more to play it? and 2) no good PvP system, i was right pissed off when my freind said there wasnt one.

ominub
07-05-2004, 06:23 PM
I am almost sure they will never have open PVP in FFXI. Oh and you cant solo in this game unless you are a BST. The game is ment to be very social, you are suppose to make friends and alot of the stuff you will end up doing you have to have other for. They might make the pvp system a bit better but it will never be open. It takes alot of time to play this game and once you start playing you will be addicted to it. I guess you would just have to try the game out to see if you like it or not.

Jonbo298
07-06-2004, 01:34 AM
I don't see FFXI with PVP whenever you feel like it like Lineage 2 has (which is a bad idea from the start). I like games where you can go to one area and PVP someone or a group or something like that.

tarakan69
07-06-2004, 04:09 AM
Thanks guys.

How would a Summoner with a Black Mage sub job work? Any good?

EDIT:
1. I've been looking into the different classes and Samuria/Warrior looks VERY intresting. What race would be the best to use?? Hume, Elves?

2. But I want to be a Mage NOT a tank. So is there a better alternative to Black Mage/ White Mage?

3. A Summoner paired with WHM/BLM/RDM?

4. Also I heard Red Mages tend to suck. True?

5. Also let's say I'm a Black Mage/ White Mage... and I'm also evolving other jobs (But I choose Black Mage/ White Mage as for my main and sub job)... will the other classese I evolve give me stat boosts?

6. Does Holy (WHM spell) do lots of damage or is it at least comparable to a BLM to some extent?

7. So you also get the passive abilities of the sub job? Right? Do they stack up?? For example Magic Attack Power Up I of the Black Mage will stack up with same ability given by your Red Mage sub job?

So will these stack up?
Magic Defense Up
Clear Mind
Magic Attack Power Up

Crono
07-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys.

How would a Summoner with a Black Mage sub job work? Any good?

EDIT:
1. I've been looking into the different classes and Samuria/Warrior looks VERY intresting. What race would be the best to use?? Hume, Elves?

Every race has it's up and downs. Humes are pretty much well-rounded, Elvaan tend to have more strength, HP, and vitality, than Humes. Accessories can always make your character better.

2. But I want to be a Mage NOT a tank. So is there a better alternative to Black Mage/ White Mage?

Really, there are only the following good combos:
WHM/BLM
BLM/WHM
RDM/BLM
RDM/WHM

3. A Summoner paired with WHM/BLM/RDM?

Most summoners that I've seen almost always sub WHM.

4. Also I heard Red Mages tend to suck. True?

No, later on in the game RDM have some of the most useful abilties. They aren't special in the early levels but once they hit level 40 they become really useful.

5. Also let's say I'm a Black Mage/ White Mage... and I'm also evolving other jobs (But I choose Black Mage/ White Mage as for my main and sub job)... will the other classese I evolve give me stat boosts?

No, only your main and sub job effect your stats. Any other levels you have gained in jobs currently not in use will not determine anything.

6. Does Holy (WHM spell) do lots of damage or is it at least comparable to a BLM to some extent?

I have yet to see it in action, but from what I hear it's not too bad.

7. So you also get the passive abilities of the sub job? Right? Do they stack up?? For example Magic Attack Power Up I of the Black Mage will stack up with same ability given by your Red Mage sub job?

So will these stack up?
Magic Defense Up
Clear Mind
Magic Attack Power Up

Yeah, you get all passive abilties and traits of your sub job (except the 2 hour special, like I said before). So if your sub, say, has a trait that increases accuracy, then you will have that for your main job as well.

DarkMaster
07-06-2004, 10:31 AM
some SMN will sub BLM for higher MP bonuses, with a SMN its all about the MP. But since SMN is a support job mainly, it's usually better to have WHM sub to help with healing and such if need be. Plus you'll get MND bonuses which you'll need, whereas the BLM INT bonuses really won't help you (MND = heal/supportive magic/def, INT = destructive/enfeebling magic/def).

ominub
07-06-2004, 10:55 AM
To say the truth SMN is just a gimped WHM. Alot of SMNs become main healer in PTs. And it can be very hard for them to level since they dont get many PTs.

DarkMaster
07-06-2004, 11:11 AM
SMN with all avatars can own, don't listen to ominub :P

TheGame
07-06-2004, 12:22 PM
At later levels Summoners become pretty powerful... but to start they are weak, and as Omi said, healers. They have spells that can buff the whole party, like Blinkga, and Enthundera, and Stoneskina :p

As for PVP... I have no interest in it what so ever. Ballista is fine, no more is needed. If they do implement it, they should make it to where both players will have to accept, but even that would be a waste. Whoever has the best 2hr wins, wow. And nobody is going to engage with somone who is stronger. (Also, some american players have reached 75, and many MANY Japanese players are at 75.)

Hmm... as for the spell Holy? I've never seen it do more damage than half the MP that is used to cast it. Nuff said :D

As for Job/Subjob job traits... some don't stack. If it's the same ability that two jobs share you won't get the bonus of both. The Job trait "Clear Mind" for example, you only get the first version of it once. This may be confusing to you now, but you will understand if you become a mage.

There is a new system out where a 3rd job can affect your attributes, but you have to be level 75 to use it.