PDA

View Full Version : The Spinto 5 reunion show.

The Germanator
06-28-2004, 01:00 AM
So The Spinto Band played their first show in about a month on Friday night. It was under the "Spinto 5" moniker because our guitarist Jon is currently in Europe until July 1st. The show went alright...The Sin City Band played first. The Sin City Band's lead singer is my step-dad and their guitarist is the father of two brothers in the Spinto Band as well. They've been playing together for over 30 years now. 5 years seems pretty long for the Spinto Band, I can't imagine what 30 years feels like. They play sort of blue grass/country, folky music, lots of covers and such that people can dance to.

We played next. We debuted four songs that we've never played live before and had just practiced earlier in the day. Two were cover songs. One was "Hey Bulldog" by The Beatles and the other was "Airport" by The Motors. The new songs went over alright, but they weren't nearly as polished as the old favorites that we played (Atari, Don't Take it Personal, Late, Small Burg, Trust Vs. Mistrust, Kind of a Girl) We brought a nice little crowd of people who were there to actually see us, and some stuck around from Sin City's show, so it was decent enough.

The third band thar played was The Martha Dumptruck Massacre. We became friends with them through our shows and connections in Syracuse, NY, so it was fun playing with them in DE. They are different every time I see them play. They had three guitars, a sampler, and just a floor tom and a snare drum. It was an interesting set to say the least. Enjoyable enough...

Since then, on Saturday and Sunday we practiced from 11 AM - 6 PM and we plan to do this for the next week as well. So far we've learned six new original songs along with the covers, and it's been very satisfying. For the last year or two we've been in school, so we've mainly just been doing older songs which gets somewhat tedious. It's good to mix it up a bit. Though I must say that being in a hot room for seven hours is rough as well. I'm having fun playing music, but it's also very tiring...We were going to Washington D.C to practice, but that got scrapped because some kids have no money, so we're just gonna practice in their house...Works for me I suppose, less driving.

The tour is fast approaching, but the summer bash at Jon's house is first. That'll be a great Saturday. Plus the Twilight Zone marathon on the 4th!
:)

ZebraRampage
06-28-2004, 01:32 AM
So The Spinto Band played their first show in about a month on Friday night. It was under the "Spinto 5" moniker because our guitarist Jon is currently in Europe until July 1st. The show went alright...The Sin City Band played first. The Sin City Band's lead singer is my step-dad and their guitarist is the father of two brothers in the Spinto Band as well. They've been playing together for over 30 years now. 5 years seems pretty long for the Spinto Band, I can't imagine what 30 years feels like. They play sort of blue grass/country, folky music, lots of covers and such that people can dance to.

We played next. We debuted four songs that we've never played live before and had just practiced earlier in the day. Two were cover songs. One was "Hey Bulldog" by The Beatles and the other was "Airport" by The Motors. The new songs went over alright, but they weren't nearly as polished as the old favorites that we played (Atari, Don't Take it Personal, Late, Small Burg, Trust Vs. Mistrust, Kind of a Girl) We brought a nice little crowd of people who were there to actually see us, and some stuck around from Sin City's show, so it was decent enough.

The third band thar played was The Martha Dumptruck Massacre. We became friends with them through our shows and connections in Syracuse, NY, so it was fun playing with them in DE. They are different every time I see them play. They had three guitars, a sampler, and just a floor tom and a snare drum. It was an interesting set to say the least. Enjoyable enough...

Since then, on Saturday and Sunday we practiced from 11 AM - 6 PM and we plan to do this for the next week as well. So far we've learned six new original songs along with the covers, and it's been very satisfying. For the last year or two we've been in school, so we've mainly just been doing older songs which gets somewhat tedious. It's good to mix it up a bit. Though I must say that being in a hot room for seven hours is rough as well. I'm having fun playing music, but it's also very tiring...We were going to Washington D.C to practice, but that got scrapped because some kids have no money, so we're just gonna practice in their house...Works for me I suppose, less driving.

The tour is fast approaching, but the summer bash at Jon's house is first. That'll be a great Saturday. Plus the Twilight Zone marathon on the 4th!
:)

Sounds like a good time. Where do you play, maybe I could come by one time and check it out?

Dyne
06-28-2004, 01:36 AM
I wish I could come hear you guys play live. Have you made any CDs we can buy yet?

Typhoid
06-28-2004, 02:01 AM
I think if you send him money, he sends you the CD.

And Germy, i think you guys should play in Vancouver. :p

If not Vancouver at least somewhere in Washington, so it wouldnt be too far for me. Dylflon and Dyne to drive to.

The Germanator
06-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Sounds like a good time. Where do you play, maybe I could come by one time and check it out?

We played at the East End Cafe in Newark, DE. We're playing in Philadelphia at The Fire on the 16th which is our next local show. The only problem with that venue is that it is usually 21+, so I don't know what to say...

And to Dyne. No, we haven't gotten around to making CD's yet. We really should start pretty soon though. I'm afraid I won't have much time to send any out before the tour though. Anybody who wants a CD may have to wait until or August. (I could possibly send them from Nashville though...)

Typhoid, we'd love to play Washington or Vancouver, but there is a little issue of them being about 3000 miles from here...We're going as far west as Wisconsin for our tour this year, but hopefully we'll make a bigger west coast swing eventually.

ZebraRampage
06-28-2004, 12:28 PM
We played at the East End Cafe in Newark, DE. We're playing in Philadelphia at The Fire on the 16th which is our next local show. The only problem with that venue is that it is usually 21+, so I don't know what to say...

Well, that's okay, but I suppose that you're not playing near here after that?

Typhoid
06-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Typhoid, we'd love to play Washington or Vancouver, but there is a little issue of them being about 3000 miles from here...We're going as far west as Wisconsin for our tour this year, but hopefully we'll make a bigger west coast swing eventually.

lol......phhhhhh........3000 miles is nothing, take a cheap plane and you'll be here in a couple hours. Or drive, and be here in...600 hours....hmmm....you have to admit, it would be an awesome road trip..

( Though nobody cares, me and my friend when we graduate are contemplating riding our bikes to either Mexico, or Montreal.)

The Germanator
06-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Well, that's okay, but I suppose that you're not playing near here after that?

We're playing at a friend's barn on August 7th, but that's more of a private party type thing in Chadds Ford. Nothing else has been planned in the area, but I'll try to let you know if something is happening.