PDA

View Full Version : Any other UT2k4'ers here?

Jonbo298
03-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Anyone else here play UT2k4? I havent heard yet if there is anyone else here who does or doesn't.

If we can conjure up some people, we could pick a day to play it online. But unless I know of others who have it, it depends at this point.

Bube
03-30-2004, 12:11 PM
I have it. But like I said in another topic, I only on multiplay.co.uk or jolt.co.uk servers. Even with those I get just under 200 ping.

But I have to say that I played on an Epic West server yesterday, and I had 230 ping. That was good.

Null
03-30-2004, 12:54 PM
yup.

Nullity is the name i play under.

manasecret
03-30-2004, 02:18 PM
I have it, but Tulane's internet has been soooo slow recently that it's hard for me to find a good game. It was extremely fast when I played the demo and I got really good at that one Onslaught map, but now that I have the game the internet is slow.

Anyway, my UT name is PMDC*TulanePD.

Jonbo298
03-30-2004, 02:34 PM
My UT name is Jonbo298 :P

If I can find enough people here that have the game, I may think about maybe ordering a private server for up to 8 players (or less depending on how many are willing to play once in awhile). Price would be $32 a month which isnt too bad. But remember, depends on if enough people here have the game and willing to play here and there.

manasecret
03-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Wow, I didn't realize hosting servers were that cheap. But are they good and fast?

I'd be willing to help pay, but I'd like to figure out how fast it's going to be for me first. I suppose sending you a check would be the best way, but we can figure that out later if this ever happens.

Jonbo298
03-30-2004, 02:55 PM
Its a dedicated server or at least a part of a server dedicated to your game, so I'd hope they are nice and fast:p But hey, if someone wants to donate or whatever, thats fine by me. I'm not forcing anyone to do so.:)

Null
03-30-2004, 03:16 PM
only 8? :hmm:

what mode would that be for?

Jonbo298
03-30-2004, 03:26 PM
If I chose 16 it would be $64 a month for a private server. If we did that, I would ask for a little help on that. And from reading the FAQ, it says the Admin can have control over what map can be used, rotation period, and whatnot.
https://servers.unrealtournament.com/www/faq/
So there's what I see so far. Looks pretty painless to setup. Less then 5 minutes and the server is running.

Bond
03-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Now that I have a new graphics card I should have the game within a week or two. :)

Jonbo298
03-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Now that I have a new graphics card I should have the game within a week or two. :)

What do you have now? 9700Pro still or did you get something else? and is this vid. card working properly?

Bond
03-30-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure if it's still a 9700 Pro, but it's somewhere around that range. I played a successful game of Onslaught without it locking up. I'm going to play a few more games just to make sure it's working.

Jason1
03-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Welp I got mine ordered thanks to Jonbo, so I should have it sometime after April 20th. I cant wait. Id be absolutley willing to play on a regular basis.

Seth
03-31-2004, 02:50 AM
I want the game THAT bad but my priorities are not geared towards games.

Hopefully I'll be able to purchase it soon. Haven't touched the demo in over a month though. Time and circumstances.

And some advice by those qualified.

How taxing is Half Life 2 going to be? I haven't been in the loop with this game recently but it was running pretty ****ty on the latest geforce cards last I heard.

That sucks cuz I'm still sporting a ti 4600. Anyone have more info on this. Playable at lower settings? How low? etc?

thanks

Jonbo298
03-31-2004, 02:53 AM
No one is sure how well it'll play on Nvidia cards, but from what I've heard, Ati cards will run the game better and the game will look better also because Valve is taking advantage of some specific DX9 things that Nvidia's cards won't be able to do at all. So Valve, last I heard, is trying to make HL2 run as good as possible but they are having a hard time because they made it specifically around Ati cards using specific effects that won't hurt performance as much as it would on an Nvidia card. I'm not a fanboy to Ati, but thats what I've heard for awhile now.

Seth
03-31-2004, 02:57 AM
Ya I've heard the same. I hate how Valve has whored themselves out to one card. I hope this isn't a growing trend among developers. I wonder how much they got from ATI to tilt the game towards their line of gpu's?

Bah. I'm looking forward to HL2 more than any other game but I'm not sure if my system will be worth it. I don't want to ruin the gaming experience just because my system is aging.

Gah, seems like yesterday that i bought this rig.

Jonbo298
03-31-2004, 03:15 AM
Valve wanted to take full advantage of DX9 and Ati is the only one that has full implementation of DX9. Nvidia is pretty damn close (I heard NV has 80% of the DX9 stuff) so its not saying it wont run as good. Just stating that to get the best maximum experience from HL2, a Radeon card will do it. Valve isnt going to shut out Nvidia, its just that they will have to not have a few graphical things here and there, but other hten that, your card should be able to at least play it on the lowest settings.

Null
03-31-2004, 09:13 AM
it'll run fine on nvidia cards. its all a driver issue. thoes latest tests where it was running good on ATI and bad on Nvidia, ATI had brand new drivers, Nvid had old.

And sides that your not going to have to worry about the directx 9 issues because 4600 is a DX 8 card and wouldnt be able to do the DX9 stuff anyway. (it'll still look good, just wont be able to do some of the fancier things)

my fan died on my 4200. so i had to go out and buy me a R 9600XT. had wanted to wait untill the new nvids and ati's were out. but alas. needed something to use the pc

Yoda9864
04-02-2004, 01:43 AM
Mmmm, I just got my 9800Pro and AMD 64 3000+ so I'm ready for HL2 and whatever comes along for awhile.

But anyway, I do have UT2k4 and I love it.

Is there a program out there that you can use to create your own characters? NOt just skins, but the actually wireframe?

Jonbo298
04-02-2004, 02:03 AM
Mmmm, I just got my 9800Pro and AMD 64 3000+ so I'm ready for HL2 and whatever comes along for awhile.

But anyway, I do have UT2k4 and I love it.

Is there a program out there that you can use to create your own characters? NOt just skins, but the actually wireframe?

I'm not sure but I'm gonna guess its a possibility. I'll try and navigate the editor real quick and see if I can find something on it.

Oh, and damn you and your A64:mad:

*edit* gah, the editor is too much for me to attempt to use:baby: But I'll pop in the tutorial DVD and see what it has

*edit2* You can create a character from scratch!:D I included some screenshots on what the Tutorial DVD shows what you can do with the UT2k4 Editor.

I'm not 100% sure if there is a 3rd party program that can do it, but if you have the UT2004 editor, you can make it.

If you dont have the DVD version with the tutorial dvd so you know what to do, either try and get it of suprnova.org (if you have bit torrent) or wait a few weeks and you can buy the DVD edition of UT2k4 for $40 and get the tutorial dvd.

Null
04-02-2004, 09:20 AM
yea Unreal comes with its own editor. and thats not just some cheap editor they threw in for ppl to use. thats the real deal that they use to make thier maps and models. thats why is INSANLY complicated. lol. but its a professional program.

the DVD SE comes with tutorials for making your own models, maps, vehicles. you can prolly find other tutorials on the internet and there are some sites that you can download the SE tutorials. i think 3dbuzz.com has some.

BTW, the Editor is in your UT2004/system Folder.

Jonbo298
04-02-2004, 09:55 AM
yea Unreal comes with its own editor. and thats not just some cheap editor they threw in for ppl to use. thats the real deal that they use to make thier maps and models. thats why is INSANLY complicated. lol. but its a professional program.

Yeah, I 100% agree with that. I'm reaaallly thankful they added the tutorials for the dvd version otherwise it would be more hell then you can think of when trying to make almost anything.

Bube
04-02-2004, 02:27 PM
There's also Maya PLE and some other character modeling stuff in the DVD or 6th CD, whichever one you have.

No tutorials on the CD version though. Anyone know where I can find the video tutorials on 3dbuzz? I couldn't find them...

Jason1
04-21-2004, 08:50 PM
I finally got the game. Havent had any time to play recently, been quite busy with school and work.

Hero2
04-25-2004, 05:09 PM
I just got cable and Ive been playing it and FFXI on and off.
I use the same name Hero2.

Jason1
04-29-2004, 02:05 PM
I use the name Yoda. But its unlikley that we'll be seeing each other online, that is of course unless we start posting servers that we usually play on.

Null
04-29-2004, 02:18 PM
Well. wheres your server jumbo?

Dunno if that would work anyway. we'd all have to be close to the server to get a decent ping out of it.

Jonbo298
04-29-2004, 04:02 PM
I'll look at the Server Rental thing and decide whats best for GT.

Well, we have 7 definite owners (me included) and 7 that may get it. Private servers are $4 a player slot. So should i get an 8 player slot or 10 player because I doubt we will be able to gather a time when everyone can be on there at once. I'll be awaiting feedback on what size server I should order.

And just to let you all know, if you want, you can donate $4 (or more, but im not forcing anyone to) however way you want to.

But like I said, I need feedback on how big I should order. Because it all depends on how many people will want to play on the dedicated server. I would choose it as a public server, but its $7 and then I'd ask for at least some help in the cost per month.

Stonecutter
05-02-2004, 03:36 PM
I picked up the 2 DVD version litterally minutes ago, I'm going to install it now.

Seth
05-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Will that server be able to host other games besides UT2k4?

Like, once HL2 comes out or some bf1942 stuff.

I was going to get UT2k4 but my money is nonexistant.

Null
05-02-2004, 04:04 PM
boooo on 1942 stuff.

right now only needs to worry bout ut2k4 :P

Jonbo298
05-02-2004, 04:29 PM
No. The Atari Dedicated Rental Servers only allow UT2k4

Seth
05-02-2004, 04:45 PM
K, I wasn't sure what server you were planning on renting.

PSH

Battlefield1942 owns my sexuality. I still play that game quite a bit.

bobcat
05-02-2004, 06:01 PM
I play, but am too embarassed to give my nick out.

This game is fun, but I hate when you are looking for a gun, and somebody comes from behind and blasts u into 2 :mad:

Null
05-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Battlefield1942 owns my sexuality. I still play that game quite a bit.

Vietnam is better of theos 2

but used to play 1942 a bit, but eh, too much team based and slow. nough enough combat skills based. other games used to be not enough team based.

Thats why i like onslaught for UT2004. perfect blend between team based and close combat. =D

and WOOT! they are porting the Unreal 2 XMP (expanded multiplayer) to UT2004 as a mod :D :) :) !!
cuz the ppl who made unreal 2 (legend) went out of business, so ppl have been given the OK to remake that multiplayer game as a mod for 2k4. It's class based outdoor combat. like a mix between onslaught and team fortress.

and for thoes who dont know. mods are FREE :p

Unreal 2 with XMP is also on Xbox. unreal 2 the game itself brought the score down because that game isnt much fun. but the XMP mutliplayer is quite fun indeed.

I play, but am too embarassed to give my nick out.

This game is fun, but I hate when you are looking for a gun, and somebody comes from behind and blasts u into 2 :mad:

What mode you play? hopfully not DM, i cant stand DM.

Jonbo298
05-02-2004, 07:17 PM
I play ONS almost all the time. Once in awhile ill play Unreal Demolition 2004 (mod). Still in beta but its good so far. Still has work to do on it.

Seth
05-02-2004, 07:30 PM
If someone has an extra copy of the game lying around then I'd appreciate it if you sent it on over here.

*only the dvd edition thanks*

Jonbo298
05-02-2004, 08:13 PM
If someone has an extra copy of the game lying around then I'd appreciate it if you sent it on over here.

*only the dvd edition thanks*

I can get you my own special DVD edition.:sneaky:

bobcat
05-03-2004, 08:45 AM
Vietnam is better of theos 2

but used to play 1942 a bit, but eh, too much team based and slow. nough enough combat skills based. other games used to be not enough team based.

Thats why i like onslaught for UT2004. perfect blend between team based and close combat. =D

and WOOT! they are porting the Unreal 2 XMP (expanded multiplayer) to UT2004 as a mod :D :) :) !!
cuz the ppl who made unreal 2 (legend) went out of business, so ppl have been given the OK to remake that multiplayer game as a mod for 2k4. It's class based outdoor combat. like a mix between onslaught and team fortress.

and for thoes who dont know. mods are FREE :p

Unreal 2 with XMP is also on Xbox. unreal 2 the game itself brought the score down because that game isnt much fun. but the XMP mutliplayer is quite fun indeed.

What mode you play? hopfully not DM, i cant stand DM.
yer dm. haven't tried the other modes

Null
05-03-2004, 09:06 AM
yer dm. haven't tried the other modes

then you hant tried UT2004 yet. :( you gotta play some Onlaught man. and not just once where you dunno whats going on and stop, play it for a while and learn how it works.

you'll be hooked man :P

Assault is fun too.

bobcat
05-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Well my friend got me to play dm, so I might make the transition to onslaught?

Well since my upgrade UT runs super smooth. 1280x1024, high details all around. And who said FPS don't look good on a good LCD monitor??? It looks better than CRT IMO. Damn sharp, and fast response time.

Null
05-03-2004, 06:50 PM
It depends on the person really. LCD's can look quite good.

I myself can spot the 'ghosting' or bluring effect very easily on every LCD i've ever seen.
Guess i just been staring at the screen playin FPS games too much. lol. So i personally still prefer the CRT with higher refresh rate.

But if it looks good to you thats all that matters. so more power to ya :) i've heard many cases where people say LCD's look good.

Seth
05-03-2004, 08:20 PM
Null, have you viewed LCDs with a 16 or lower response time?

I hear it's almost impossible to spot the ghosting unless you're playing a game like UT2k4 with stuff flying all around.

All I know is that my CRT sucks ass. If I could I would hook my PC up to my sister's 15 inch laptop screen and play my games on that.

My moniter seems so smudgy after going on my sister's laptop for a while. It's also way to dark and I can't fix it. When I play battlefield now I can't see inside the buildings.

Null
05-03-2004, 08:36 PM
um. but thats the exact time you would notice it when your playin games. Thats what i was talkin about. fast FPS games.

and yes i've tried the newest ones in stores an i can still spot it.

Stonecutter
05-05-2004, 02:41 AM
boooo on 1942 stuff.

right now only needs to worry bout ut2k4 :P
Wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Boo on 1942, but you love Onslaught.

Onslaught basicly is 1942. You "capture" certian points on a map and try and storm the enemies base. Ok, sure, you have to blow up the generator rather than bleed tickets, and there's no real bonus for killing other players, but, essentially, Onslaught is a poor mans (or rich man's, depending on how you look at it) BF1942.

That being said, I do really, really like onslaught, but I prefer Assault.

HIM
05-05-2004, 04:48 AM
well my clan has some people there but im mostly in JK3 or BFV.but i do have it but i think its to big for my laptop :(

Null
05-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Boo on 1942, but you love Onslaught.

Onslaught basicly is 1942. You "capture" certian points on a map and try and storm the enemies base. Ok, sure, you have to blow up the generator rather than bleed tickets, and there's no real bonus for killing other players, but, essentially, Onslaught is a poor mans (or rich man's, depending on how you look at it) BF1942.

That being said, I do really, really like onslaught, but I prefer Assault.

ok. i didnt say i didnt like the style 1942 is. i didnt say i didnt like the idea of it. however that is one glitchy game. much of the time it chops around. (not choppy. but i mean...example i lie down and it'll jerk for a sec) i think the levels are absolutly BORING.

That being said, Onslaught is actually QUITE differnt. one thing that is in onslught that i truely like is the node system. People arent running around doing thier own thing tryin to get differnt points. At any given time there are only a couple points that you can attac, you ALWAYS know where the action is instead of going looking for it.
Plus UT takes more combat skills. dodging and such. 1942 you basically see someone shoot a couple bullets and hes dead.

i like Battlefield Vietnam much better because of the level design and the forests you can hide in. adds more to it.