PDA

View Full Version : $149.99 on Tuesday

Jonbo298
03-29-2004, 11:17 AM
March 29, 2004 - Everybody loves a discount and as of Tuesday, March 30, all North American consumers (yes, even you wacky Canadians) will be able to enjoy Xbox at a lower price. Today, Microsoft announced that the 9-pound beast known as Xbox was slimming down in price, from $179 in the US to $149. The price drop also affects Canada, which will see the console drop to $199 (also a $30 cut) and Mexico, with a new price of $1999 pesos, a $45 drop in US dollars.

Microsoft is also slashing the price on several first-party games. Project Gotham Racing, Crimson Skies, and Counter-Strike see an adjustment to $29.99 each come Tuesday. Voodoo Vince, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, and Music Mixer will outdo that cut by dropping down to a mere $19.99 each.

In an effort to make Xbox more accessible to the entire family, Microsoft is expanding its Platinum Hits library to include a Platinum Family Hits branch. The first members are Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Finding Nemo, which are now available for $19.99 each.

To celebrate the falling prices, Mitch Koch, corporate vice president of Microsoft worldwide retail sales offered this tasty quote:

"We have always been committed to providing gamers with the best entertainment experience available At this lower mass market price point, we're opening up this great system to an even broader audience of people who can experience Xbox for the first time."

No word yet on when/if the rumored Halo system bundle will become available, but as soon as we get a "no comment" from Microsoft, we'll update this story.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/502/502608p1.html

Good stuff. I might get one if it still keeps the same bundles as before. I mainly just want to play PGR2 online.

Dyne
03-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Haha, hopefully this is going to push some sales..

DeathsHand
03-29-2004, 12:25 PM
And right after I got my job back too... hmmm *rubs chin*... Is it a sign of some sort?

Null
03-29-2004, 12:43 PM
And right after I got my job back too... hmmm *rubs chin*... Is it a sign of some sort?

IMO, quite honestly, if you havnt picked one up already i doubt this price is worth it.

see maybe a year of steady games before it really starts to slow down as they begin to hype xbox2. I dunno, seems like a waist to purchase any new console in the last year or 2 of its life.

The Germanator
03-29-2004, 01:09 PM
IMO, quite honestly, if you havnt picked one up already i doubt this price is worth it.

see maybe a year of steady games before it really starts to slow down as they begin to hype xbox2. I dunno, seems like a waist to purchase any new console in the last year or 2 of its life.

Well, not really...It's not like you only have to buy the games that are coming out in the next two years. I know there were a few Xbox games that I wanted to play, but didn't want to pay full price for the system. I still may not buy it, but will consider it more because the older games will be less expensive too.

Null
03-29-2004, 02:33 PM
For many tho, its the hype of a game that pushes them to go out and buy it.
For others, the fact that a game is old, plus the new games are around the corner that look so much better make them forget about older games
Other times, if the hype didnt push you to buy these decent games when they came out. often its not going to when they're cheap. Nobody wants to buy something just to see it die, even if it has good past games. that money could be put towards the new console.

For me tho, i know every game i want before its out. Every game i own i've gotten the first day it came out. I Know whether i will buy a game or not before its release.

DeathsHand
03-29-2004, 03:40 PM
For many tho, its the hype of a game that pushes them to go out and buy it.
For others, the fact that a game is old, plus the new games are around the corner that look so much better make them forget about older games
Other times, if the hype didnt push you to buy these decent games when they came out. often its not going to when they're cheap. Nobody wants to buy something just to see it die, even if it has good past games. that money could be put towards the new console.

For me tho, i know every game i want before its out. Every game i own i've gotten the first day it came out. I Know whether i will buy a game or not before its release.

Ehh sometimes for me it's the hype of a game (otherwise why would I buy a 50 dollar game over a 20 dollar greatest hits title that's supposed to be great too?), but I can buy older games as well (Tony Hawk 4, Kingdom Hearts, a number of other used games)...

If I bought an Xbox, I'd definately pick up Halo and Ninja Gaiden (that one's fairly new, so sue me)... Knights of the Old Republic, too... And Morrowind... Yup... Actually there aren't too many games I want, maybe I'll wait for an even lower price :p

Crash
03-29-2004, 06:15 PM
that is not a huge price drop, i dont think that it'll help sales as much as they want it to. why didn't they drop it to 129.99, that would sell xbox's like madddddddd.... bad move i think.

Typhoid
03-29-2004, 06:18 PM
I dont htink that it will boost sales that much. A 30 dollar decrease isnt going to do much. Most of the people who wanted an XBOX bought it when it was about oh, i dont know $800. If anything all the people who bought them expensively are going to feel cheated out of money. I know i would. I say next time a new system comes out, hold off buying it for 3-4 months, and save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

DeathsHand
03-29-2004, 06:44 PM
I dont htink that it will boost sales that much. A 30 dollar decrease isnt going to do much. Most of the people who wanted an XBOX bought it when it was about oh, i dont know $800. If anything all the people who bought them expensively are going to feel cheated out of money. I know i would. I say next time a new system comes out, hold off buying it for 3-4 months, and save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

Do you say the same thing about Gamecube and such or do you just have some negative views towards Microsoft? :sneaky: Cuz I remember buying NGC for 200 bucks and then like a year later it was half that...

Typhoid
03-29-2004, 06:49 PM
I think like that for all systems and software. Its stupid to raise the price up $200-300 higher than what it should be for the first few months.

Professor S
03-29-2004, 09:39 PM
I think like that for all systems and software. Its stupid to raise the price up $200-300 higher than what it should be for the first few months.

You do know that pretty much all the consoles lost money on each system sold when they first came out right? So Microsoft and Gamecube should eat even more money than they already were? That makes great business sense.

Typhoid
03-30-2004, 12:24 AM
You do know that pretty much all the consoles lost money on each system sold when they first came out right? So Microsoft and Gamecube should eat even more money than they already were? That makes great business sense.

I know but im saying realisticly

Dark Samurai
03-30-2004, 08:20 AM
In an effort to make Xbox more accessible to the entire family, Microsoft is expanding its Platinum Hits library to include a Platinum Family Hits branch. The first members are Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Finding Nemo, which are now available for $19.99 each.

AND YOU GUYS SAY THAT NINTENDO IS A KIDDY GAME???

Jonbo298
03-30-2004, 08:22 AM
AND YOU GUYS SAY THAT NINTENDO IS A KIDDY GAME???

Thats because its easier to say because everyone will back you up:p