PDA

View Full Version : Ragnarok Online, anyone?

Dylflon
03-25-2004, 05:50 PM
I would like to have some of my GameTavern chums to paly with online. You can join my guild. :D

The game is done by Gravity and is huge in Korea, Japan and Taiwan. People play it here too but it costs a fair bit of money. Now, somebody I know made a version that is actually superior to the regular version. He's taken codes to implement things that the real server doesn't have yet.

Best of all, we get to play it for free.

Our server is rather small. We have about 200 members. Here's a group photo that was taken a while back. I missed it because I was off doing something else.

http://xenophase.shawbiz.ca/screenshots/screenAres415.jpg

Here's what the game is all about:

You fight monsters in this very large world. You team up iwth an online community to take on strong "boss" monsters and such. There are many different guilds, many of which are at war with eachother. You have many classes to choose from. You start as a novice and then pick a first class. From your first class you can get to a second class.

You can collect things if you want. I collect hats. You can also have pets. There's a lot to do on Ragnarok Online.

It's a server set up mainly for people in my school district in British Columbia but outsiders are welcome.

To sign up:

you must go to www.xenophase.net and sign up in the forums. Then you download all the necessary files and install them. (Downloading and istalling can be a bitch.) You wait for your registration to go through and then you use your forum username and password to enter the game.

It's very fun, trust me.

Here's some pics from asian servers:

http://www.whiteplanter.net/diary/images/rag_0526.jpg

http://www10.plala.or.jp/secseek/images/live.jpeg

http://csx.jp/~nbnets/ragnarok/8_3_2_7.jpg

Vampyr
03-25-2004, 06:37 PM
*cries because he has dial up*

Oh well...:(

I'll be getting some sweet FFXI love in a few months.

Null
03-25-2004, 06:39 PM
that the free version your pointing a link to?

no way i'd pay to play it. but id give it a try for free.

Null
03-25-2004, 06:40 PM
*cries because he has dial up*

Oh well...:(

I'll be getting some sweet FFXI love in a few months.

now i'll be interested in tryin that one too if i could get in a free server. :) that and World of Warcraft. i might know some people that are gunna set up a free server for that one. have to see if they actually do it or not.

One Winged Angel
03-25-2004, 07:21 PM
It's much harder to make a free server for FFXI. And also World of Warcraft is suposedly not too great.

Null
03-25-2004, 07:23 PM
It's much harder to make a free server for FFXI. And also World of Warcraft is suposedly not too great.

not really, same as anything really. And from what i read they said it was coming along nicely. but then again ya never know till ya play em.

TheGame
03-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Someone is going to recreate PlayOnline?!? Or are they going to try to redevelop FF so that POL isn't so closely intertwined? Either way I see this being an insane task that I doubt someone woud do for free. (not to mention the huge risk factor)

Null
03-25-2004, 07:38 PM
its not recreating anything. its just redirecting the ip when you goto connect. its been done with every mmorpg, always will be. yer thinking too hard about how its done. its not actually that complicated.

Dylflon
03-25-2004, 07:41 PM
the point is: where i linked to, you can play RO for free. FREE I TELL YOU!

TheGame
03-25-2004, 07:41 PM
hmm... maybe I am... Just seems like it would be a hard task, even if they were to just have servers. Because it would have to be capible of saving a lot of data, and capible of multitasking POL and FFXI.

Null
03-25-2004, 07:47 PM
hmm... maybe I am... Just seems like it would be a hard task, even if they were to just have servers. Because it would have to be capible of saving a lot of data, and capible of multitasking POL and FFXI.

thats why generally free servers arent free for the world to enter, you have to be accepted in. they dont want it so theres so many people thier server will over load. theres usally a much much much less number of people in free servers. because they're generally private.

and i keep seeing ramblings of a free ffxi server so its possible one already exists, not sure tho.

I've never played on one because it seems to miss the point of being with a lot of people. but to try a game i would if i just wanted to test the game out.

GameMaster
03-25-2004, 08:23 PM
I was disappointed to learn WoW was going to be subscription service.

Will there also be a WC4 that's free and traditional just like 2 and 3? Or does WoW=WC4. :(

Null
03-25-2004, 08:28 PM
I was disappointed to learn WoW was going to be subscription service.

Will there also be a WC4 that's free and traditional just like 2 and 3? Or does WoW=WC4. :(

there will be a WC4, because WoW is NOTHING like the other warcraft games. totally differnt. its not a RTS, its a MMORPG.

so ya. they'll sitll be making normal WC games

GameMaster
03-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Thank goodness, I'm hooked on TFT so I'll definately be ready for the next awesome installment.

Dylflon
03-25-2004, 08:54 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2004/20040322l.jpg

WoW comic.

So I take it nobody is interested in RO?

Null
03-25-2004, 08:58 PM
So I take it nobody is interested in RO?

just cuz people arent talking of it yet doesnt mean they wont give it a download and try :P

The Germanator
03-25-2004, 09:37 PM
I'm semi-interested...I just don't think I can invest time into something like this when I have to write a five page paper pretty much every week...

Typhoid
03-26-2004, 12:57 AM
i too was a person who hated "The Rag" but ive turned it around. Why? is it because i play it? No, i wouldnt be caught dead playing a ***gy game like that, but it is because i may have, or may play much worse games in the future, or past...( everyone remember Pokemon?....ewwww) the game isnt all bad, but it has flaws, like no body looting after Pking someone. this for me my friends is a major no-no.the game is also extremely time consuming, and i have other things to invest my time in. But for the positive i say give the game a try, and give poor little Dylflon hope at starting a revolution of mind numbing slaves to take over the world step by step and internet site by site...all starting with "The Rag"

Dylflon
03-26-2004, 01:09 AM
i have other things to invest my time in.

Now that's just a lie.

GameMaster
03-26-2004, 01:22 AM
I happen to like Pokémon thank you very much. :mad:

*adds Typhoid to offender list*

GT News
03-26-2004, 01:22 AM

You are not the only one.

Sure Pokemon is very cool.Tell me a story.

GameMaster
03-26-2004, 01:26 AM
You are not the only one.

Sure Pokemon is very cool.Tell me a story.

Well...

I want to be the very best, like no one ever was. * To catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause. * I will travel across the land searching far and wide. * Each Pokémon to understand, the power that's inside.

* = Dramatic electric guitar riff

Typhoid
03-26-2004, 01:30 AM
Now that's just a lie.

You F***in suck Carson Daly!!

Typhoid
03-26-2004, 01:31 AM

*Gasp*
*wets pants*

GT News
03-26-2004, 01:31 AM

*Gasp*
*wets pants*

Do you have any idea what I am talking about?

Typhoid
03-26-2004, 01:32 AM
i never said i didnt like pokemon..........please love me

Dyne
Well...

I want to be the very best, like no one ever was. * To catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause. * I will travel across the land searching far and wide. * Each Pokémon to understand, the power that's inside.

POKEMON! GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!

-------A heart so true~~! Our courage will pull us through! You teach me and I teach you... Pokemon.. Gotta Catch'em all, Gotta Catch'em all~~.

Pokemon. :)

GT News
Well...

POKEMON! GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!

-------A heart so true! Our courage will pull us through! You teach me and I teach you... Pokemon.. Gotta Catch'em all, Gotta Catch'em all.

Pokemon. :)

Sure Pokemon is very cool.Why do you have to do it?Ask me another question.
It would be nice if our courage will pull us through.That's good information:
said I teach you and you teach me.Sure Pokemon is very cool.Why do you have to do it?Sure Pokemon is very cool.I am so glad you find this amusing, .

Hero2
03-26-2004, 05:49 AM
I accualy clicked on the link and singed up for the username or whatever just to see what it was but I never could figure out wtf it was. I think I saw it in GMR last month or maby it was EGM ohh well I would play had FF XI not already consumed my life. that ans this accursed dial up. *shakes fist at dailup

I might one day though. download the stuff that is.

Happydude
03-26-2004, 11:50 AM
that site is really freakin slow....

Crono
03-26-2004, 02:50 PM
There has to be a lot of people on an FFXI server for the game to be played properly. There are usually 3000 on at a time on the FFXI Server I am on. If there's not enough people you wont get anywhere in the game, that's just how FFXI is. You can't solo the game and you rely on other people for new armor and weapons, etc.

Happydude
03-29-2004, 08:58 PM
i got this game, and i think its great...the map is huge, no lag, and lots of fun to explore :)

who plays, and what's your character name?

Dylflon
03-29-2004, 09:04 PM
Sweet. You're on now? Are you just called Happydude? I'm Dylflon on there. Say hi to me if you see me.

UncleNoName
04-07-2004, 01:11 PM
I signed up, how long does it usually take for them to activate an account?

Happydude
04-07-2004, 01:45 PM
it took them to activiate mine like half a day, since the admin checks ths IDs personally, and there are a lot of people applying, it takes a while...so it might take a day or 2 tops...if you'r lucky you might get it today

UncleNoName
04-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Thanks. I signed up yesterday, so hopefully I'll be playing soon.

UncleNoName
04-09-2004, 10:03 PM
My account was activated, are all of you using the same names on RO?

Happydude
04-10-2004, 01:39 AM
im usually on my Assassin...HappyAssasin, if im not on him, im on my swordsman Happydude

TheSlyMoogle
04-25-2004, 11:11 PM
I don't think I'm the only one who thinks it would be totally awesome to live in the pokemon universe, right? I think I could be an awesome pokemon trainer. ;)

Anyway, like I said, Dial-Up sucks big fat *****!

So if anyone of you who has downloaded it, and lives in Canada or the US, would burn the file onto a CD and send it to me I would gladly pay you back for the shipping and for the trouble of burning it onto a disk, this could add about 6 or 7 people to the list of players. Only two would be from GT though, Vampyr and me.

So anyway give it some thought. No one do this from overseas though, it would take forever, and cost a lot more money. If anyone is interested pm me. Thank you!

Happydude
04-26-2004, 08:58 AM
i would....but i don't have any empty cds right now, or money to send them anywhere...sorry...