PDA

View Full Version : 3 Keystrokes to Crash XP

Jonbo298
03-17-2004, 09:09 AM
Windows-XP has a "feature" (???) with which it is possible to manually crash a system by simply holding the right CTRL key and pressing the "Scroll Lock" key twice. This feature can be turned on by the following steps:

1. Start regedit. (If you are unfamiliar with regedit, please refer to this FAQ)
2. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters
3. Create a new DWORD value and name it CrashOnCtrlScroll
4. Right-click on this newly created value and click on Modify
5. Enter 1 in the Value data field and click on OK.
6. Close regedit and reboot your system.
7. Now you can blue screen (crash) your system by holding the right CTRL key and pressing "Scroll Lock" twice.

Note:

Your system may reboot or show a blue screen whenever this crash is initiated. If your system reboots after initiating the crash, and you want to see the blue screen, follow these steps:

1. Go to Control Panel > System
2. Click on the Advanced tab
3. Under Startup and Recovery, click the Settings button.
4. Under System failure, uncheck the option Automatically restart.

Happy crashing...

http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=2066

All I have to say is that this is an ingenious find. I would do it to my computer right now, but I'll wait until later when I feel like trying it out. But it boggles me why MS included this but who knows...

Happydude
03-17-2004, 09:17 AM
it's MS...go figure :unsure:

Dark Samurai
03-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Is this helpful in some way?

It'd be cool if it clears everything you have on the computer.

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
03-17-2004, 10:41 AM
...the next build of windows will be so advanced that it will activate this feature AND execute it without any prompting to do so :p

bobcat
03-17-2004, 03:34 PM
I will try this.....on my bosses pc

thatmariolover
03-17-2004, 05:57 PM
...the next build of windows will be so advanced that it will activate this feature AND execute it without any prompting to do so :p

Most PC's do it now anyway. :-D BUY A MAC!

DimHalo
03-17-2004, 06:29 PM
how does this feature help? is it just another "way" of reformatting?

thatmariolover
03-17-2004, 06:41 PM
how does this feature help? is it just another "way" of reformatting?

No.. It's just cool when you want to make the blue screen of death... Like for freaking your parents out. Or any other of a hundred (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemailahundred.html) reasons.

GameMaster
03-17-2004, 07:58 PM
I've heard murmurs in the east and whispers in the west of a top secret Windows operating system. Codename: Longhorn.

This conversation never existed. :cool:

Jason1
03-17-2004, 08:17 PM
Most PC's do it now anyway. :-D BUY A MAC!

Yea, buy a MAC if you want to completley abandon PC games forever.

MuGen
03-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Yea, buy a MAC if you want to completley abandon PC games forever.

actually MacSoft is speeding up it's progress. It has UT2003, UT2004, all of the Strategy games like Age of _____ <~~insert one of the names.

MacSoft is quickly expanding and making Windows platform games available on the Mac.

And PC means Personal Computer....and ALL games whether Mac or Windows is a PC Game... lol

the only difference is the platform or operating system.

Windows or Mac OS

I never understood why people said, "Mac vs. PC"

lol

thatmariolover
03-17-2004, 09:35 PM
I never understood why people said, "Mac vs. PC"

Who knows why? It's just been said since the mid 1980's and has stuck until now.