PDA

View Full Version : The State of Nintendo [by Vampyr]

Neo
03-15-2004, 10:47 PM
The State of Nintendo
By: Zachary Wright

Nintendo is the most well known name in the video game industry. That statement is more than an opinion, it’s a fact. It has been around longer than any other system, and when people think of video games, Nintendo is a name that first comes to mind. Nintendo celebrates their 20th anniversary this year, and in the past 20 years they have given the gaming community the stuff of legends. We have swung through jungle with Donkey Kong, explored alien planets with Samus Aran, traveled to the ends of Corneria with Fox McCloud, and saved Hyrule with Link.

Nintendo’s legacy started with the Nintendo Entertainment System, or NES. They followed it with the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), then the Nintendo 64 (N64), and finally to their current console, the Nintendo Gamecube (GCN). Along with their consoles came the famous Game Boy which also transformed over the ages. From the classic cabbage green handheld to the current Game Boy Advance. My point is that with all these systems, Nintendo has been able to please the customer almost every time. The gaming community has been purchasing Nintendo systems for 20 years, because they know that each one is a piece of perfection, and Nintendo will not fail to deliver to deliver classics that they are so well known for. People buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games.

This is the number one reason why third party developers, such as Rare, have broken ties with Nintendo and joined the other two Next Generation consoles: the Sony Playstation 2 (PS2) and the Microsoft Xbox. Because most owners of Nintendo systems only want games developed by Nintendo, everything else takes the back seat and is less important. Third party developers can make more money by converting to a console in which they are appreciated. On rare occasions, a third party game will be accepted as a “classic” by Nintendo fans. Such games are “Mega Man” and “Harvest Moon.” These games do almost as well as Nintendo developed games, but will still pale in comparison to the almighty “Mario” series, which is a classic platformer developed and published by Nintendo. While this doesn’t pose many immediate short term problems, other than the fact that current Nintendo gamers are missing out on some legendary games, it does pose a great deal of long term problems.

A company such as Nintendo cannot possible support itself and remain as large, both financially and reputation wise, with only games created by themselves. It takes a great deal of time for a game to be created that would be hailed as a “Nintendo Classic”, and Nintendo cannot possibly produce them fast enough to keep up with Sony and Microsoft, who will have a large number of third party game developers putting out worthwhile games at an almost constant rate. Eventually, Microsoft’s and Sony’s “army” of quality games will stomp out Nintendo’s “platoon” of “classics.” Nintendo would not be able to support itself on the shoulders of Mario, Link, and Pikachu. In the future, we can expect less and less third party games, and the same amount of Nintendo games.

Not only will Nintendo suffer financially, but their reputation will be shot. How can a company deem themselves “legendary” whenever they have the smallest library of games for any console? With such a small selection, even the largest Nintendo “fan boy” would be pulled into the variety of another console. As the company’s reputation spirals out of control, so will its financial status, until it eventually looses the battle all together.

Another important factor that is knocking at the tender knees of Nintendo is the fact that their “classics” are becoming less classical with each new production. How many times have we saved the princess? How many times have we spent hours at the grueling task of “dungeon crawling” only to be rewarded with some gem and a piece of heart? How many times is Nintendo going to use the same ideas? Most, if not all, gamers from around the world will rise up and agree that the quality of games in today’s day and age are nothing but pitiful little disks when compared to the games of old. Many gamers will rise up and agree that Nintendo reach its peak with the SNES, and that any game after has been nothing but a mere shadow of the “ancient” glory.

Games such as “Super Mario Sunshine” and “The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker” were classics, and I must agree that they were very good, but how can one actually speak to say that they were as good as the original Super Mario Bros.? How can one say that they were as good as “The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past”? They simply are not as good.

Nintendo is crumbling on its flimsy corporate foundation, and something must be done, something must be changed, to bring back the Nintendo that most of remember and dream of knowing once again. There is no perfect solution, and each idea has cons. What I propose that Nintendo do is give up the fantasy idea of a console. They should abandon hope of the “great” GCN ever becoming the gaming powerhouse that the PS2 is. Nintendo themselves should become a third party console game developer, while retaining the line of Game Boy hand helds, which have sold extremely well and provide gamers with an extremely enjoyable mobile gaming unit. By doing this, they will be able to completely focus their time and resources onto creating the legendary classics that we all remember, without the extra hassle of a console that is not doing well on the charts. While this may be an extreme transformation, and many “fan boys” will cry and complain about the transition, I believe it is the most simple and logical solution for saving a once valiant warrior: Nintendo.

Yoda9864
04-02-2004, 01:33 AM
I will admit that I have been pretty much a fanboy of Nintendo ever since the NES. I have argued in school countless times that Nintendo is still the best out there. Usually it seemed that I'm the only one arguing for Nintendo. I couldn't look past my fanboyism to realize that Nintendo is falling.

I can now say that I have moved past my fanboyism considering I am now mainly a PC gamer. Nintendo's games, however, still have a grip on me. They are almost always of the highest quality, and I often borrow friends' consoles so that I can play through Mario Sunshine, Zelda WW, and Metroid Prime. I now realize that Nintendo's games are the only thing that kept me coming back after I decided not to get a Gamecube.

I know this is the reason that many people get Nintendo's systems. Many of my friends complain there are no good games besides Nintendo's. Many have the GC for Nintendo's games and either a PS2 or X-Box for "all the other games."

Nintendo has to realize this soon. The Gamecube is not popular because of it's stellar game library. It's popular for Ninty games. Games released on all the systems are usually better on PS2 and XBox for various reasons anyway. The sooner Ninty realizes this and ducks out of hte console business the better.

The bottom line, Nintendo, is that we will all still love and buy your games even if they are on a different system. Save your money from your failing stance in the console business to develop even more stellar games.

Jonbo298
04-02-2004, 01:52 AM
I'm not afraid to admit I only buy games either developed by Nintendo or one of its "sub studios" ie: Silicon Knights, etc...

Hell, I just looked at my collection of GC games I have and the only 3rd party game I have is PSO ep. 1&2. The rest are either Ninty made, or made by one of its studios. The reason why? QUALITY. 3rd pary dev's stray away from the 'Cube because the mainstream gamer buys a PS2 or XBox so they can buy a $50 game that gets $5 worth of fun. Also because they know it won't sell well because of the fact that they either horribly hash the game to the 'Cube or they feel that because a good majority of GC owners aren't as stupid as most 3rd partie's want them to be.

Now although I may be flaming like a fanboy, I'm trying not to. But it is true if you think about it. Hell, if Ninty went 3rd party for some reason, they better stick to making games for 1 company. And IF, and I stress a HUGE IF they ever do go 3rd party, I'd want them to go to MS (even though i despise MS) because of the fact that Sony needs some competition.

A bleak future for gaming is coming upon us. Because Sony and MS think we need 50 things to play games, they will charge more for the console and basically downplay the fact it plays games. Although I may be exaggerating a smidge, look at what Sony is doing with the PSP. "It can play movies, music, walk your dog, feed you.....and play games". Hell, next gen consoles companies are already saying more about the other crap it does besides the fact it plays games. MS/Sony will soon give more details on their consoles and im almost 100% certain they will talk more about the other stuff then the fact it plays games. But you know what...sh*t happens and thats my 2 cents which I'm taking with me:p

fingersman
04-03-2004, 07:33 AM
I."

Nintendo has to realize this soon. The Gamecube is not popular because of it's stellar game library. It's popular for Ninty games. Games released on all the systems are usually better on PS2 and XBox for various reasons anyway. .

You think that Nintendo doesn't realise this? I think they do realise this, it would be impossible not too, with 3rd party games being cancelled left and right. I don't think it's matter of realising what the situation is, I think it's a matter of formulating the right strategy to combat the situation, which is something that they may or may not have done yet.

Jason1
04-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Okay I agree with most of you, but I dont agree on the topic of nintendo dropping out of the Console busniess. I dont want to have to play my Nintendo games on a PS2 or Xbox or anything like that, because Nintendo STILL makes the best systems and controllers. Ive heard so many people bitch about their PS2's breaking, not reading discs, their X'box controllers not working, ect. Hell, just the other night my friend and I were trying to play a little Xbox at his house and the Xbox kept detecting that the one offical controller that he had wasnt plugged in even though it obviously was. Then I was using an interact controller and the right thumb stick seemed really stiff, like it wasnt popped in place so I tried to pop it in place and the damn thing went completley limp. I'll admit that one is interact's fault, not Microsofts, but the whole not reading the controller issue in uncalled for. And I always hear about people who have to go out and buy new PS2's. Nintendo's products, on the other hand, are rock solid and Ive never had one break on me. EVER. Not a controller, not a console, and Ive never even had any disc reading problems, even though my SSB Melee disc is SEIROUSLY scratched up because I dropped it in the van one time and it got walked all over.

Jonbo298
04-03-2004, 12:55 PM
The NES we have still works to this day, lol. The SNES does too but I havent played that in quite awhile. My '64 is still beating away and my 'Cube obviously still works:p

But yeah, I've heard too many stories where people have had to buy another PS2. But oh well. Consumers lose out and Sony is still laughing to the bank:p

Vampyr
04-04-2004, 12:01 PM
Yeah, Nintendo is known for their durability. I still have a fully functional NES.

But, the GCN seems to be less so. Like 5 months after I got my GCN, It stopped reading disc. I couldnt play it forever. I had to send it in for repairs. Do you know what resulted in this? My friends PSO characters are 40 levels higher than me, thats what.

Also, my Mario Sunshine disc got scratched...I dont even know how, it just did. And it wont play anymore. I LOVE that game.

I've had my PS2 since last summer, and I havnt had a problem yet. But, I bought my PS2 kind of late...by then all of the problems had been fixed...I got my GCN really early, before any updates were performed onit. So I guess that makes sense.

I am glad to see that most people agree with me that Nintendo should go third party. I wrote this editorial over the summer, when I was sitting down one day and I just realized "This isnt nearly as fun as it used to be." I miss the good old days...even the N64. I remember the first day I got an N64. I remember the first day I played Mario 64. Wow. That was just....amazing. I dont think I'll ever feel that way about a game again.

Er, actually, I felt that way when I played OoT, too. And Pokemon Red. But those are the few games that have given me that "magical" feeling that the NES used to give me every time I powered it up.

Jonbo298
04-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Disc media has more disadvanteges on durability. Mainly because it doesnt take much to get disc read errors. Carts are 100x more durable. You can jump on them, throw them around the room, etc...and its almost guaranteed to still work.

Me and duffman put a '64 cart in the freezer and we were just gonna leave it in there for I think 10 minutes, but we forget about it and like over an hour later, we remembered that we were supposed to take it out so we did and it still worked. We did other tests, but they proved successful:D

Jason1
04-04-2004, 02:24 PM
Yeah, Nintendo is known for their durability. I still have a fully functional NES.

But, the GCN seems to be less so. Like 5 months after I got my GCN, It stopped reading disc. I couldnt play it forever. I had to send it in for repairs. Do you know what resulted in this? My friends PSO characters are 40 levels higher than me, thats what.

Also, my Mario Sunshine disc got scratched...I dont even know how, it just did. And it wont play anymore. I LOVE that game.

I've had my PS2 since last summer, and I havnt had a problem yet. But, I bought my PS2 kind of late...by then all of the problems had been fixed...I got my GCN really early, before any updates were performed onit. So I guess that makes sense.

I got my Cube right when it was released, and ive NEVER had a disc read error, or any other problems. This inculdes countless times when ive played rentals that were pretty scratched up, and that Melee disc which I scratched up horribly.

TheSlyMoogle
04-04-2004, 11:53 PM
The last two games that I actually had fun with are Crystal Chronicles and DDR. And I'm still playing DDR. I don't know, gaming isn't fun anymore.

Yoda9864
04-05-2004, 12:41 AM
You think that Nintendo doesn't realise this? I think they do realise this, it would be impossible not too, with 3rd party games being cancelled left and right. I don't think it's matter of realising what the situation is, I think it's a matter of formulating the right strategy to combat the situation, which is something that they may or may not have done yet.
I guess I'm more saying that Nintendo should actually do something about it. It would be impossible to not see it. But they didn't do jack schmidt about it for hte GC.

I guess Nintendo can stay in the console business as long as they want as long as they don't get hit hard enough financially that they couldn't go 3rd party. Ninty games must live on!!

DeathsHand
04-05-2004, 01:56 AM
The NES we have still works to this day

You are one of the few... a ton of NES get the infamous "Blinking problem" because Nintendo used cheap-ass parts (or so I've heard) and the connector pins wear out too fast...

Of course, that was only their first console, and companies build up experience overtime...... Or I guess you'd think that's the way it'd happen...

The only problem I've had with my Gamecube is one time when Metroid (and only Metroid) would mess up (I can't remember for sure, I think it basically said the game couldn't be read? Or the game was removed or something)... And it only happened on a specific save slot... So I dunno what was up with that...

My PS2 on the other hand did develop one of the problems everyone talks about (Won't read CD-based things... Music CDs, PS1 games, or the few PS2 games made on CDs)... Although more people complained about problems with PS1, and I never had any problems with mine... Guess I just got lucky like Jonbo with his NES ;)

Jonbo298
04-05-2004, 10:09 AM
By working, I meant that its still playable. Hell, the infamous blinking occurs here and there, but just do a little trick and its back to working.