PDA

View Full Version : MGS: Twin Snakes

Jonbo298
03-10-2004, 10:26 PM
I got it earlier today. Played it for about an hour, then went to bed (working all night and staying up until the afternoon for the EB call saying its in made me tired as hell). But from what I played so far, its pretty damn good. I'm still trying to get used to the control setup. 2 odd things so far with the control setup. Tap A to quickly shoot, hold A to aim and then release A to shoot. I've noticed that sometimes I dont want to shoot or I hold A by accident (something like that, dont make me sound like an idiot or something). But I wish they would've used a diff button to aim. But remember, i still gotta play more then an hour of it:p

The other odd thing is that when someone calls in on the code, you have to hold Start and Press A.:wtf: Was there some major reason that you couldn't put it on just start?

But anywho, enough useless ranting:p Now that I'm awake, and eating food with a refreshing can of Dr. Pepper:D, I'm gonna get back to Twin Snakes now

Jason1
03-10-2004, 10:36 PM
I'll hopefully be picking it up on friday. I cant wait.

DarkMaster
03-10-2004, 11:03 PM
The hell? This game is out? Cool.

Jonbo298
03-11-2004, 12:01 AM
After playing some more, I figured out its easy to de-equip if your aiming but dont want to shoot. Just tap R:p

But I already found one nifty thing SK put in themselves.
*SPOILER ALERT*

The first "Book";) you pick up, if you drop it on the ground, its Alexia (i think thats her first name) Roivas.

*SPOILER END*
Pretty funny. Now I can't wait to see what else SK specially included in MGS.

TheGame
03-11-2004, 01:49 PM
The other odd thing is that when someone calls in on the code, you have to hold Start and Press A.:wtf: Was there some major reason that you couldn't put it on just start?

lol, the lack of buttons come into play there... on Ps2/Xbox it's the select button. Start would bring up a map.

Question... once you press and hold A like you want to shoot, how do you cancel the shot? On Ps2 and Xbox because of the analog buttons when it's in aim mode you have to slowly release the button no not fire... how is it on Cube?

The Duggler
03-11-2004, 02:02 PM
That's strange that they used the A to shoot. The shoulder buttons of the GC are perfect for aim/shoot. Press to aim, and click to shoot.

Anyways, can't wait to play it.

Jonbo298
03-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Question... once you press and hold A like you want to shoot, how do you cancel the shot? On Ps2 and Xbox because of the analog buttons when it's in aim mode you have to slowly release the button no not fire... how is it on Cube?

I figured out that to cancel the shot, just tap R and the gun de-equips itself but no shot is made.

DeathsHand
03-11-2004, 02:43 PM
lol, the lack of buttons come into play there... on Ps2/Xbox it's the select button. Start would bring up a map.

What game said... I was really worried that MGS:TS's controls would really suffer from lack of buttons (on PS2, MGS2 uses like every button along with a bunch of different analog sensitivities and crap), but apparently it's not too bad...

I still need money :(

Jason1
03-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Im got the game last night and im allready stuck...without completley giving it away, what is the colonel talking about when he says meryll's number should be on the back of "the Package" What Package?

Canyarion
03-13-2004, 04:12 PM
your game package. they did that with the PSX version I think.. :unsure:
It's funny :D

Jonbo298
03-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Im got the game last night and im allready stuck...without completley giving it away, what is the colonel talking about when he says meryll's number should be on the back of "the Package" What Package?

HUGE SPOILER IF YOU DONT WANT TO WASTE TIME FIGURING IT OUT

end:D

Canyarion
03-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Damnit why would you wanna spoil something like that???? Just say 'look on the box'. :unsure:

Jonbo298
03-13-2004, 06:24 PM
I gave the spoiler warning. I GAVE IT I SAY

DeathsHand
03-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Ah yes I remember that look on the back of the box thing for PS1... Pretty damn hard to check the back of the box when it's a rental thank you very much Konami...

Jason1
03-13-2004, 08:07 PM
I ended up checking gamefaqs...pretty clever, but it makes you wonder...what would happen if you didnt have the box and didnt have access to the internet? :confused:

Jonbo298
03-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Then you try every single channel on the codec until you get it right:D

The Germanator
03-13-2004, 08:59 PM
Then you try every single channel on the codec until you get it right:D

To be honest...I think I did that once. I'm not sure if it was this same problem I was trying to figure out or something similar in MGS2, but I definitely went through and called every damn thing. Not fun.

D-realJos
03-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Beat the game yesterday! (on easy :unsure:... it was only meant to be a "test run" but I just kept going and going.. well since I got the hang of it, i'll just skip right to "hard" or "very hard" mode next time)

The good news is that the game is still very enjoyable, and more importantly, it left me with the same feeling the orignal left me with after I beat it. That feeling that you've just experienced something epic. You think to yourself; "wow, Snake came a long way, and went through a whole lot on that mission." The people he met, those he killed, and those that died before his eyes.. the entire aftermath of the experience just hits you after while credits roll with real-life footage of Alaska and the asian soundtrack "the best is yet to come" playing in the background.

(ha.. I just sat here for about 3 hrs writing some general impressions, only to delete virtually everything I just wrote because I though the post seemed too long.. I must be nutz :eyes: )

Jonbo298
03-14-2004, 02:10 AM
Good ****ing god D-real. You don't delete 3 hours of work, unless its been proven wrong:D Long post or not, your known for long, intriguing posts. Now we missed a chance on one:(

DeathsHand
03-14-2004, 02:42 PM
You guys should try playing the game on Extreme (there is an Extreme difficulty, right?)... I did that on MGS2 (while trying to get all the dogtags, too) Once you get used to where most of the enemies are it's not too hard, but there are certain sticking points, especially boss fights, that can really be frustrating. I had to fight the last boss with a slightly less-than-full bar of life and only one ration

After I beat MGS2 on Extreme, I looked back and thought "Wow... I can't believe I took the time to do that and I didn't even get all of the #%$&ing dogtags!"

And I look forward to doing it again with MGS:TS...

:sneaky:

D-realJos
03-15-2004, 02:15 AM
Good ****ing god D-real. You don't delete 3 hours of work, unless its been proven wrong:D Long post or not, your known for long, intriguing posts. Now we missed a chance on one:(

Actually, I saved it first(I have no intention on posting it, but I couldn't bare to toss it right out :( ) Don't worry, you didn't miss anything. Just some nick-picking, changes I liked/didn't, solution for better control set-up, etc. Maybe I'll could go into more detail and post it another time. :unsure:

Deathshand
You guys should try playing the game on Extreme (there is an Extreme difficulty, right?
I started a file on Hard(mode before extreme). I'll play it on extreme eventually, but I want the hard mode to be the mode where I'll be fooling around after I earn stealth gear, bandana, and anythign else they have to offer.

I have to say; Even hard is turning out to be pretty damn difficult. I'm the type that like to take out all the enemies in each area, but it's quite a hassle and very risky. I'm guessing if you'll be playing on extreme, you may have to avoid a few enemies. Good luck getting all those dog-tags. :p

Canyarion
03-15-2004, 08:26 AM
Did anyone see my name yet on a dogtag? :)
(yeah admit it, you totally forgot about that! :D)

TheGame
03-15-2004, 11:30 AM
I can't wait til the 23rd (pay day)... I want this game soooo bad.

D-Real, Don't listen to DsH, playing on extreme will make you hate the game ;)

I played MGS2 on Extreme and European Extreme (substance) and they are hard as f*ck. On the second "part" of the game (the plant) I couldn't even get out of the first part without getting into a three on one fight.

The enemys can see you from a mile away, you hold less weapons and have access to less weapons. You can get killed fast as heck, and enemys have more stamina than you... it's just insane.

I'm one of the few to play MGS2 and not play MGS1 though... I doubt the first's story is a deep as MGS2's but I'm sure it has a very cool story to tell. Probably like how Matrix is compared to Reloaded and revolutions. Anyway, me wants this damn game.

DeathsHand
03-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Question: Is there a spray can dealy in MGS:TS? Probably not because it had to do with part of the mission in MGS2, but if you sprayed a knocked-out guard with it he would wake up faster...

It made getting dog tags much easier... So if it's not in TS then getting the dog tags would be much harder and would take longer... Which would make me sad...

Jonbo298
03-15-2004, 04:44 PM
Did anyone see my name yet on a dogtag? :)
(yeah admit it, you totally forgot about that! :D)

Are you? I dont think you mentioned it here before unless I forgot:unsure:

Dyne
03-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Are you? I dont think you mentioned it here before unless I forgot:unsure:

Yeah, I was just about to mention the contest in here.. did anyone win from GT? I don't remember.

Dyne
03-16-2004, 01:25 AM
Man, I just need to say one thing about this game. It's one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had with a game. The level of detail is awesome and the music is really good. I love it to death.

Also, I think Psycho Mantis' battle is so cool. There's so many Easter Eggs in this game. I love it. ^_^

HIDEO

Jonbo298
03-16-2004, 01:48 AM
When I get the chance to get to Psycho Mantis, i wanna see if he scans my mem. card and mentions any games I have.

Also, DON'T SPOIL IT FOR ME, otherwise -rep:mad: I want to wait until the first time I see it so I'm surprised, after that I'll check to see if there is anything else.

Dyne
03-16-2004, 03:54 AM
What? He does that??

Blah! Now I have to go back and see that. That's so cool.

The whole scene before Psycho Mantis is hilarious. He's probably going to search for ED.

Jonbo298
03-16-2004, 03:56 AM
I heard he does. I'm not 100% sure if he does or doesn't, but I thought I heard somewhere he does.

GT News
03-16-2004, 03:56 AM
I heard he does. I'm not 100% sure if he does or doesn't, but I thought I heard somewhere he does.

Thanks for telling me that gossip. I will remember it.I am glad to hear that you are not 100% sure if he does or does not but he or she thought he or she heard somewhere he does.

Dyne
03-16-2004, 03:57 AM
Hi Camfubot!

Yeah, his assessment of me was "You are weak of mind. You do not have many saved games."

You really need to see the scene Jonbo! It's so awesome. Oh, and make sure you AREN'T using a Wavebird. I'll just say that.

Jonbo298
03-16-2004, 04:30 AM
Well damn, all I use is a Wavebird. The only corded one is 2 years old and a 3rd party which is still going strong, but I use it only on my PC when needed.

And if he is saying you don't have many saved games, then wait until he sees my 251:D I have a good 20 files or more on it

D-realJos
03-16-2004, 06:59 AM
I can't wait til the 23rd (pay day)... I want this game soooo bad.

D-Real, Don't listen to DsH, playing on extreme will make you hate the game ;)

I can imagine... because even "hard" gave me hell just to get out of the docking area where you start. Well, until you find a good strategy. I guess that's how most area will turn out ... grind you into dust until you find "the right" strategy.

I beat the orignal PS version on the toughest level, but the AI alone in TS is sure to slaughter me. Not to mention enemies are accurate as heck and freaking relentless. I'm up for it tho! :D

Dylflon
03-16-2004, 11:57 AM
I was at Dyne's when he rented it. I had to leave because I wanted to experience the awesomeness first hand rather than watching someone play it.

I like how Raven gets out of his tank just to laugh. That was pure gold.

Jason1
03-16-2004, 10:25 PM
And if he is saying you don't have many saved games, then wait until he sees my 251:D I have a good 20 files or more on it

LMAO you think thats a lot? Ive got a 1000 block Interact Mega memory card, with at least 40 different types of saves on it. BTW, if anyone never wants to have to worry about getting a new memory card or switching memory cards ever again, get yourself an Interact mega memory card. Ive had mine for nearly 2 years now, and ive never had a single problems with it. Its absolutley flawless. It reads just as fast, it stores just as fast, I have NEVER lost any data on it, and its only slightly bigger than a regular memory card. I normally tend to stear clear of 3rd party stuff like a lot of people, but that card was the best 30 bucks ive ever spent.

GT News
03-16-2004, 10:25 PM

LMAO you think thats a lot? Ive got a 1000 block Interact Mega memory card, with at least 40 different types of saves on it. BTW, if anyone never wants to have to worry about getting a new memory card or switching memory cards ever again, get yourself an Interact mega memory card. Ive had mine for nearly 2 years now, and ive never had a single problems with it. Its absolutley flawless. It reads just as fast, it stores just as fast, I have NEVER lost any data on it, and its only slightly bigger than a regular memory card. I normally tend to stear clear of 3rd party stuff like a lot of people, but that card was the best 30 bucks ive ever spent.

Aren't all lot LMAO you think that?
How did you get a 1000 block Interact Mega memory card with at least 40 different types of saves on it
Where did you get it?
1000 block Interact Mega memory card with at least 40 different types of saves on itOK. That is a hypothetical question.Oh.
Do you still have his or hers for nearly 2 years ?
Would you like to have had a single problems with it?I think you mean "it's" or "it is" not "its". Are you sure
absolutley flawless is?"It" being what? Do you mind if I tell other people:
said tend to stear clear of 3rd party stuff like a lot of people but that card was the best 30 bucks you have ever spent.

The Germanator
03-16-2004, 10:37 PM
I think you mean "it's" or "it is" not "its".

Now CamFuBot is correcting grammar! :lol:

GT News
03-16-2004, 10:37 PM
I think you mean "it's" or "it is" not "its".

Now CamFuBot is correcting grammar! :LOL:

Why now? I think CamFuBot is a lot of things.
I'm glad you find this amusing.

Jonbo298
03-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Now CamFuBot is correcting grammar! :lol:

I laughed for a good 30 seconds there. :rofl: +rep

Dyne
03-17-2004, 01:18 AM

What? Blah! Mine died just before Christmas and I was left with a dead Animal Crossing town!

Always use first party..

Oh yeah, I cried today. ;_; While I was playing today I found one scene just so beautiful and I found out I was leaking. I think I squeezed a good five drops out of it. This game is so emotional. I love it.

Jason1
03-17-2004, 08:19 PM
What? Blah! Mine died just before Christmas and I was left with a dead Animal Crossing town!

You sure it was an Interact Mega memory card? I stick by my word regardless. An absolute lifesaver for me.

Dyne
03-17-2004, 09:28 PM
Yes, it is, actually.

BTW, I just beat TTS today. I cried a lot more too. This game is just so awesome.

The Germanator
03-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Yes, it is, actually.

BTW, I just beat TTS today. I cried a lot more too. This game is just so awesome.

Why don't you go take your little game and cry in the corner, huh? Oh, does that make you cry more, crybaby? Yeah, that's right, keep crying...baby...

*cries*

:)

Jason1
03-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Okay here's a little strange issue ive came up with. SPOILER WARNING

I played through the Psycho Mantis battle a few days ago, and after getting killed by him once, the second time I tried to beat him Cambell called me and told me about the controller switching solution. Well just today my brother played it, I watched him get killed once, then youd assume Cambell would've called him on his second try to explain it to him also right? Wrong. He never called him. My brother amazingly managed to beat him without ever switching controller ports. He used a helluva lot of ammo, and had to get more countless times(not really a big deal considering it keeps respawning). He just kept shooting and every once in awhile a shot would hit. But it took him SO long, and he got really frustrated later on, and who can blame him? I think it really made him enjoy the fight a lot less than he would have. I was about to tell him about the controller thing while he was playing it, but I just figured theyd eventually call him on Codec, but alas they never did. So is this some sort of bug, or could there have been some other reason why Cambell never called him?

Dark Samurai
03-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Okay here's a little strange issue ive came up with. SPOILER WARNING
I played through the Psycho Mantis battle a few days ago, and after getting killed by him once, the second time I tried to beat him Cambell called me and told me about the controller switching solution. Well just today my brother played it, I watched him get killed once, then youd assume Cambell would've called him on his second try to explain it to him also right? Wrong. He never called him. My brother amazingly managed to beat him without ever switching controller ports. He used a helluva lot of ammo, and had to get more countless times(not really a big deal considering it keeps respawning). He just kept shooting and every once in awhile a shot would hit. But it took him SO long, and he got really frustrated later on, and who can blame him? I think it really made him enjoy the fight a lot less than he would have. I was about to tell him about the controller thing while he was playing it, but I just figured theyd eventually call him on Codec, but alas they never did. So is this some sort of bug, or could there have been some other reason why Cambell never called him?

Maybe its just one of the "scary effects" that Silicon Knights put in.

It... it just didn't work with your brother.

Jonbo298
03-18-2004, 12:36 AM
I just finished the Psycho Mantis fight and I got some stuff out of him.:D

"You like Nintendo games don't you?"
"You enjoy The Legend of Zelda, don't you?"
"You've played Super Smash Bros. Melee many times, haven't you"
"You save often, don't you. Your prudent" (something like that)

Pretty sweet. I have all zelda save files for the 'Cube so I'm not surprised he said that:p

But Dyne, I now know what you meant by don't play with a Wavebird. I'll go back to the cutscene sometime and get a wired controller.

Dyne
03-18-2004, 02:25 AM
I wish I could play through to that scene again. :(

I wonder what he'd say about ED.

GT News
03-18-2004, 02:25 AM

Once more? I hope that your dreams come true.
You are curious about what he would say about ED.

Dyne
03-18-2004, 02:27 AM
Yes, but Erectile Dysfunction is no dreaming matter.

Jonbo298
03-18-2004, 04:33 AM

Now I wish I didn't delete the ED file I had awhile back. I havent read on if he does anything special with ED, but it would be sweet if they put in some insanity effects like Snake getting sliced in 2 or something just for having an ED file.

*edit*
I looked at a FAQ and you can get back to that cutscene, eventually.
Demo Theater allows you to watch all the cutscenes during the game and the
ending with either Meryl or Otacon. Unlocked after you beat the game with
Meryl or Otacon.

Canyarion
03-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Sounds like a cool game... what did reviews give it??

The Duggler
03-18-2004, 11:38 AM
But Dyne, I now know what you meant by don't play with a Wavebird. I'll go back to the cutscene sometime and get a wired controller. What's the deal with avoiding the wavebird for Mantis?

DeathsHand
03-18-2004, 02:10 PM
What's the deal with avoiding the wavebird for Mantis?

Probably because it takes away one of Mantis' special powers...

Or maybe some other thing I don't know of...

Jonbo298
03-18-2004, 02:18 PM
If you have a 'cube, take $5-$6 and rent it. Then you'll understand:D

The Duggler
03-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Well I just bought it. I'll play after work.

But I wanted to know what I should use when I get to mantis.

It's strange that it makes a difference...

Jonbo298
03-18-2004, 04:23 PM
When you are almost up to Mantis, use a corded controller just for it. Other then that, Wavebird all the way!:D

The Duggler
03-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Ok I get it, it must be the lack of vibration from the wavebird.

Jason1
03-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Yes, Mantis does say something related to ED if you have an ED file. No, its not amazing or mind blowing, and no, it dosent alter the battle in any way from what I could tell(meaning it wasnt any different for me than how ive heard it described, knowing I had an ED file on my MEM card.)

Canyarion
03-19-2004, 04:21 PM
I've heard that with the wavebird, he makes your controller fly around the room. :sneaky:

Crash
03-19-2004, 09:53 PM
that is too cool, the psycho mantis fight is awesome, i had to get clue after clue to beat it. i almost shat myself when i first played it.

here is something you need to do, go into first person view and look at what's her faces' rack. she's all "WHY ARE YOU STARING AT MY..." ha, awesome

psycho mantis: "oh, I see you like nintendo games, oh, you like Silicon Knights games huh? Did you enjoy playing eternal darkness?" etc etc.

for anyone that doubts this game, beg borrow and or steal, but you need to get this game!!! Absolute gem, when the ninja kills everyone, that is the best part!!!

Jonbo298
03-19-2004, 10:52 PM
I saw the "Why are you staring at my...." by accident at first because I wanted to see Meryl in first person and she said that. Good stuff:D

Typhoid
03-30-2004, 06:53 PM
I've heard that with the wavebird, he makes your controller fly around the room. :sneaky:

He does.......and if you dont have a memory card inserted he climbs out of your screen and kills you. Trust me, i tried it.

Canyarion
03-31-2004, 10:27 AM
But but... how come you still live??? I smell a lie here! :mad: I hate it when girls do that!

Blackmane
03-31-2004, 12:27 PM
But but... how come you still live??? I smell a lie here! :mad: I hate it when girls do that!

:rofl:

Typhoid
03-31-2004, 07:46 PM

Wow, i know it made fun of me, but it also made me smile, heh....+ reps for that