PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera

Jonbo298
03-09-2004, 04:20 AM
I'm thinking about getting a Digital Camera in the next month or so and I wanted to know what anyone here thinks I should get. I would prefer one under $500, more preferably under $400. +rep for any help:)

bobcat
03-09-2004, 06:25 AM
Canon Ixus are quite good (and cheap). And small.

But I like the new Sony Cybershot (it's not available in Aust yet), maybe not even in US. My friend bought it back from Japan. 5MP and cheap 2. VERY small

Su-Yin
03-09-2004, 07:54 AM
hmm currently im using the Exilim from casio...ex-s20...if ur looking for a good bargain...this camera is amazing...its definately cheaper than loads of other digicams...and its really really light weight n slim(just about 10-15 credit cards stacked up together) haha...i bought mine from singapore...im not sure how much is it worth in ur currency...but u should check it out online...
oh..yeah...its only 2.0 mega pixel though..haha but i think its good enuff if u jsut want photographs...u can take videos with this too..but well...2.0 dont really take good videos...

another brand u shud check out is Che-ez! its not really wellknown over in US or Canada...but its known for being cheap here in asia...the quality isnt bad too..i used to have one...the prices range from cheap(lower quality) to more expensive ones...most prolly u can purchase it online..i dunno =/ ...they have loads that work as webcams too..
well..good luck with ur camera hunting..

Dark Samurai
03-09-2004, 08:12 AM
whoa she has me convinced

Jonbo298
03-09-2004, 04:57 PM
I looked at the Casio EX-S2 on ebay and it is thin. Price's seemed to range from $100-$200 from what I was seeing.

I just heard a few days ago on Fresh Gear (show on TechTV) that they were talking about how good the Cybershot is and the price is for being a 5MP camera. But I'm not sure if its here yet, but I'll check ebay also to see if it is or not yet.

Now that I'm looking at the Sony DSC-P92 (new 5MP cybershot), the price is pretty good on ebay. $225 is the lowest I see. If only I could buy one now but alas, I can't. I think the only thing that irks me with the Sony camera's are the fact that for mem. upgrades I have to use their own "special" Memory Stick Media. I wish I could've just used something like SD card or MMC, etc...but meh, Im just sold on the DSC-P92. Cheap, damn good MP, zoom not the greatest, but honestly I doubt I will optical zoom past what they show.

If anyone else can sway me on a better camera under $400, speak up before I finalize my choice in a few weeks

GameMaster
03-09-2004, 06:15 PM
The Kodak Easy Share DX series is pretty good, I'm looking at the sight and the cheapest one is $250. Anyway, the last Consumer Reports I read gave one of the Kodak Easy Shares it's 'Best Buy' award. You might want to check the latest Consumer Reports to see if they have a new list. They have a website but you have to pay a yearly fee to access all their ratings and stuff. But anyway, I usually use Consumer Reports when buying a peripheral device for my computer.

Dyne
03-09-2004, 06:42 PM
The BEST ones are Nikon Coolpix cameras, but they're WAY out of your price range. ;)

Most Casio and Sony models should fit your budget. They're good quality stuff. My friends have those brands and they work really well.

Jason1
03-09-2004, 08:45 PM
The BEST ones are Nikon Coolpix cameras, but they're WAY out of your price range. ;)

Uh...not if you get one with like 2 or 3 Megapixels. Ive got a 2.1 Megapixel Nikon Coolpix that was around 200 bucks. 2 Megapixels is all Id ever need anyways.

But if I had to give one real piece of advice, Id say get one that uses CompactFlash cards. The SD cards are so small and are much more fragile. CF is much better, IMO.

Dyne
03-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Uh...not if you get one with like 2 or 3 Megapixels. Ive got a 2.1 Megapixel Nikon Coolpix that was around 200 bucks. 2 Megapixels is all Id ever need anyways.

But if I had to give one real piece of advice, Id say get one that uses CompactFlash cards. The SD cards are so small and are much more fragile. CF is much better, IMO.

Go coolpix then.

Jason1
03-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Check out the ones at the bottom, they're the coolpix's. The cheapest one, the first one, is basically what Ive got (only an Older Model, mine's quite a bit different looking actually.) If your really willing to spend 400 dollars, the 4200 has 4 megapixels, and looks damn sweet. But unless your like a hardcore photographer, a cheaper model would probably suit you fine.

EDIT: But, ICK, it appears all the newer model Coolpix's use SD cards. Poop on SD cards I say.

Jonbo298
03-09-2004, 11:00 PM
I'd be content with a cheaper one. I'm not hardcore with photography in any way. I just take causal pics. As long as the quality is good, I'm content with it.

Happy Dance
03-09-2004, 11:30 PM
i rocomend a JVC GR-DVM75 Digital Video Camera with Super High-Band Processor and a 2.5' TFT Active Matrix LCD Monitor as well as a 200X digital Zoom :D

Jonbo298
03-09-2004, 11:44 PM
bah, im not really needing a digital video camera at the time. But the price for the only one I saw on ebay wasn't too bad. Digital video camera is something a few months down the road.

Happy Dance
03-10-2004, 07:49 PM
wait some time and buy it .... its much better then just taking Pictures :)

Canyarion
03-11-2004, 10:11 AM
I have a Canon ixus and I like it. But it just depends on what you want to do with it. My old ixus really sucks at makies movies.... too short.

best advice is: DON'T BUY A BUDGET CAMERA!! :eek: That's the worst thing you can do... stupid budget camera's... :(

Jonbo298
03-11-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm not really needing a budget camera. I just want something that can take good quality images. Zoom is fine, but I dont need 500 extra things in which I might use 20 of it, IF needed. I'm thinking about the Sony 5mp Cybershot