PDA

View Full Version : Rare Surpises

Bond
03-07-2004, 09:13 AM
March 05, 2004 - With Grabbed by the Ghoulies already released and rumors about Perfect Dark 2 being secured for the next Xbox console, that leaves Kameo and Conker: Live and Uncut as the next great things for the Xbox to come from first-party developer Rare. Or are they?

Fresh info out of the 2004 D.I.C.E. conference in Las Vegas suggests that among the surprise announcements from Microsoft leading up to and through this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo will be a new title from Rare. IGN will surely provide more info than this -such as a name, genre and details-- when such details become available, but for now expect a "surprise" announcement about a new Rare title, in addition to a handful of other as yet secret Xbox games sometime between now and the second week of May.

Source: IGN (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/496/496887p1.html)

Perfect Dark anyone?

Dark Samurai
03-07-2004, 09:53 AM
Bah...i have no remorse for Rare

Jonbo298
03-07-2004, 09:58 AM
I think its going to be about Conker and something that will make it sound better then when it was first announced. If they release Conker this year and the reviews about it are pretty good, I will buy an XBox. (and dont worry, I'll keep to what I said)

Canyarion
03-07-2004, 11:19 AM
What's Rare again? :D

They sure messed up their last games and they haven't made true their promises of releasing some more games in 2003... :unsure:
The surprise better be good.

Null
03-07-2004, 11:19 AM
last i saw conker and kameo, they looked like the next great flops rather then the next great things. So I sure hope they have some new title planed.

Jason1
03-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Rare obviously went downhill since leaving nintendo.

Joeiss
03-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Rare obviously went downhill since leaving nintendo.

Have they released anything for Xbox yet?

Acebot44
03-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Grabbed by the Ghoulies is the only Rare game I know that has been released. I also heard that the Conker game would just be a remake with better graphics, but I havent been following any of this so dont trust me! :mad:

Hero2
03-07-2004, 04:59 PM
sweet first we get Halo, then were gettings halo 2, and now Perfect Dark. Im glad I bought my xbox.

Blix
03-07-2004, 07:07 PM
I wonder if anybody will remember Perfect Dark when it finally comes out considering it came out on a bad time on the N64 and well... it didn't let it be that popular. If anything, most people will be asking: "Two? When was the firs one released?"

Hero2
03-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Two "Perfect Darks" dident they relese one for GBA . Then that would make this three

Ginkasa
03-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Actually, its Perfect Dark Zero, I think, unless something has been changed.

I don't see why people are excited about it anymore, at least not to the "its going to be the best game EVER!" kind of fervor around it. Rare has already released several games that have not met expectations (and one that went far below the lowest expectations). Not only that, but they're taking longer and longer between releases. I personally can't help but see Perfect Dark Zero becoming anything more than a letdown.

Just my thoughts...

*shrugs and walks away*

bobcat
03-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Rare?

Who's that again?

Null
03-07-2004, 08:54 PM
i'd be willing to bet money it will be a let down.

but some people liked the first, and therefor will be excited about the 2nd. they have a right to be.

i hated the first so prolly thats why i feel as i do. *shrug*

Jonbo298
03-07-2004, 11:04 PM
sweet first we get Halo, then were gettings halo 2, and now Perfect Dark. Im glad I bought my xbox.

Who said Perfect Dark was coming out on Xbox (1)?

Acebot44
03-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Rare.

The Germanator
03-08-2004, 12:30 AM
At one point I thought Rare would be the only reason I would buy an Xbox. Not saying they can't turn it around with a couple of quality releases, but they have to get going. My friend has an Xbox anyway, I can play his...

Dyne
03-08-2004, 01:20 AM
No kidding. I felt secure in my purchase when I knew I was going to get Banjo Kazooie on Xbox. I thought that was going to be amazing.

...I still haven't gotten it. And they haven't even hinted it yet that much, have they?

Stupid Rare.. Microsoft needs to give them a bitchslap.

Jonbo298
03-08-2004, 02:07 AM
No kidding. I felt secure in my purchase when I knew I was going to get Banjo Kazooie on Xbox. I thought that was going to be amazing.

...I still haven't gotten it. And they haven't even hinted it yet that much, have they?

I honestly think MS doesn't care about Rare as much as they did back when they first purchased them. Otherwise there would be more pressure on Rare to release a game that sells more and appeals more. I just want Conker and PD but I'd rather wait for PD next gen.

TheGame
03-08-2004, 01:10 PM
wow, what a terrible thread ;)

I'll work my way up with my CamFu style quotes

"I honestly think MS doesn't care about Rare as much as they did back when they first purchased them. Otherwise there would be more pressure on Rare to release a game that sells more and appeals more. I just want Conker and PD but I'd rather wait for PD next gen."
-Jonbo298-

That's not exactly true, I think there is more pressure on Rare than ever, and that's why they are giving them more time. MS knows that they made a mistake in Rushing Rare to make GBG... that's why they may be giving them more breathing room. I mean, look at how many times Halo 2 was delayed! MS just isn't being stupid anymore and tossing out big licenced games without time to capitalize on them.

MS either has, or needs to come to grips with the fact that the best of Rare is in long evelopment cycles.

"I don't see why people are excited about it anymore, at least not to the "its going to be the best game EVER!" kind of fervor around it. Rare has already released several games that have not met expectations (and one that went far below the lowest expectations). Not only that, but they're taking longer and longer between releases. I personally can't help but see Perfect Dark Zero becoming anything more than a letdown. "
-Ginkasa-

Have you played Time Splitters 2? Well... that's made from a break off group of Rare with a very small Development time frame. Not to mention it was on all three platforms (held back by Ps2)... AND doesn't have near the financial backing or development talent Rare has. yet it manages to be the second best Rated console FPS on the market for this generation.

With MS we are talkign about the real Rare, with a super long planning stage and development cycle, the best hardware to work with, and with pressure to live up to the money that was spent on them to get this licence... and access to ripping off everything from Goldeneye and PD on the N64 from the levels to the weapons. No matter how you cut it, this game has monster potential. If this game is a dissapointment, Rare would be done, and MS isn't stupid enough to let that happen.

I personally have only liked two things form Rare, FPSs and Conker.

I wonder if anybody will remember Perfect Dark when it finally comes out considering it came out on a bad time on the N64 and well... it didn't let it be that popular. If anything, most people will be asking: "Two? When was the firs one released?"
-Nemesis-

That's a good point... but on the other hand, the fact that NRD (New Radical Design) helped make Goldeneye helped them to build up hype for TS2 and ultimatly had an effect on sales. Rare on the other hand acctually made goldeneye... and there will be a pretty monster hype machine behind it once it is announced.

People don't even have to Remember PD. But remember, a lot more people played PD than the sales let on... and with online play that may justify everybody in getting there very own copy instead of playing over a friends house.

Blix
03-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Two "Perfect Darks" dident they relese one for GBA . Then that would make this three
I think that one was even less popular.

GT News
03-10-2004, 04:08 PM
I think that one was even less popular.

One what?

Null
03-10-2004, 04:30 PM
One what?
That one

Blix
03-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Ohhh, I didn't see The_Game's post. Well, I don't feel that trust on this one. First, there was a shorter time frame between NRD's case and Rare's case. Also, they made sure to let it be known -that they helped in GE- as fast as possible. Now this game was made how many years ago? And we don't even know when it's coming out for sure. I think the appeal might wear off.

I see other games which I liked in the past and their newest reincarnation not doing as good as I would like it to be. It has to be something really big. Like Doom, it's coming back but it has this kick-butt graphics that will make it stand out. If rare does something that is just up-to-standards it'll be just another game in the market and I'm no so confident in their talent anymore. I think the outcome will be based on if they can get the feeling back but with so many people missing from the original team... you catch my drift, don't you?

Don't get me wrong, I'll most likely get the game but I'm not certain on if the game will actually be as big as it was.

Just my two cents.

Perfect Stu
03-10-2004, 06:03 PM

agreed, completely.

Rare was one of the MAIN reasons I bought an XBox...the release of a Perfect Dark game would give my XBox a ton of playing time, but it's just been my DVD player for a long time now.

Professor S
03-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Feel the bitterness people...

ahhh, it tastes like whiny nintendo fans...;):D

Blix
03-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Feel the bitterness people...

ahhh, it tastes like whiny nintendo fans...;):D

Yes, yes. Lets evade all the logical reason's by framing everyone as a Nintendo fan and not giving any reasons of why we shouldn't act like this. But ofcourse, if PD2 was coming on the cube and we were optimist we would then be fanboys, right? Just imagine this game is coming out for the cube and pass judgement on our statements. Maybe that will help you out. ;) Heck, even Stu agreed with Dyne on his comments, that should tell you something.

Null
03-11-2004, 12:11 AM
Heck, even Stu agreed with Dyne on his comments, that should tell you something.

that stu and dyne are in cahoots with an evil plot to take over the world in order to secretly raise money to start a world wide chain of pet stores??!? :hmm:

Perfect Stu
03-11-2004, 11:34 AM
that stu and dyne are in cahoots with an evil plot to take over the world in order to secretly raise money to start a world wide chain of pet stores??!? :hmm:

I thought that part was assumed...?

TheGame
03-11-2004, 11:55 AM
If funny you guys got Xbox for Perfect Dark... because Perfect Dark is one of the top 3 reasons I got my cube. Alongside a new Zelda (which wasn't what was expected) and the future of THQ/Aki wrestling games (which didn't happen).

But anyway, I feel your pain on that subject.

"Well, I don't feel that trust on this one. First, there was a shorter time frame between NRD's case and Rare's case. Also, they made sure to let it be known -that they helped in GE- as fast as possible. Now this game was made how many years ago?"

I don't understand what you are trying to say... maybe you should re-word it.

Blix
03-11-2004, 11:42 PM
If funny you guys got Xbox for Perfect Dark... because Perfect Dark is one of the top 3 reasons I got my cube. Alongside a new Zelda (which wasn't what was expected) and the future of THQ/Aki wrestling games (which didn't happen).

But anyway, I feel your pain on that subject.

"Well, I don't feel that trust on this one. First, there was a shorter time frame between NRD's case and Rare's case. Also, they made sure to let it be known -that they helped in GE- as fast as possible. Now this game was made how many years ago?"

I don't understand what you are trying to say... maybe you should re-word it.
Well, what I was trying to say there is that... I don't feel so confident that it'll work that way this time. There has been a bigger lapse of time between Golden Eye (or PD) to now than there was from GE to Time Splitters. NRD took advantage of the reputation they had made in people's mind while it was still fresh (Plus it was a first generation PS2 game so it was bound to get attention). I think that reputation will most likely fade. By the time they finally get the game out, how much impact will that fact have one people's mind? Now the biggest name in the FPS genre is Halo and well... saying they made Golden Eye will not have THAT much effect anymore. And the rest of my last post really explains the rest of my reasons. I hope I was clear this time. =\

Acebot44
04-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Perfect Dark Zero will be shown at E3 for the xbox :)

GT News
04-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Perfect Dark Zero will be shown at E3 for the xbox :)

:-) Is the holding of hands a symbolic gesture for humans?

Jonbo298
04-07-2004, 06:04 PM

I'd hope so....

GT News
04-07-2004, 06:04 PM

I'd hope so....

Me too.

Yoda9864
04-07-2004, 11:39 PM
You enlighten us all with your mystical knowledge CamFuBot.

One Winged Angel
04-10-2004, 01:34 AM
Am I the only one who really really hated Perfect Dark?

Dark Samurai
04-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Am I the only one who really really hated Perfect Dark?

Yes. Yes you are. I, for one, loved that game. The futuristic setting, the sexy redhead, the badass new weapons. Man, I want to play that game again.

dannylam4
04-10-2004, 11:37 AM
Perfect Dark was a very good game. I mostly liked it because of the sims that you can set up when playing multiplayer. They also had fun weapons and very odd ones, like tranquilizers and such.

Jonbo298
04-10-2004, 12:05 PM
The N-Bomb (im pretty sure thats what its called) was great.

Canyarion
04-11-2004, 06:53 PM
But annoying. ;)

My friends always hated the explosive weapons, probably because I kicked their ass with them. ;)
So we never used any alternative weapons... :( Although for a while I had them play with the XR-what'sitcalled. Sweetness! :D

The Germanator
04-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Most annoying/best weapon in that game had to be the Laptop gun....So annoying yet I loved using it...

TheGame
04-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Most annoying/best weapon in that game had to be the Laptop gun....So annoying yet I loved using it...

lol, yeah, it was your own personal drone gun, set it up at a place were a lot of people run by it for quick kills, or set it on the wall behind you for better fire power ;)

Reasons why I liked PD more than GE:
1. Co-op story mode
2. Bots in multi player
3. better (more creative) weapons
4. Multiplayer challenges (Challenge mode)
5. How the game is set up (I forget the name of the office building, but it was cool)

Canyarion
04-13-2004, 06:26 AM
I prefered the sphere of GE... and how you pointed and fired the weapons. Somehow the bullets feeled.. bigger or something.

Beside that, PD all the way.

Typhoid
04-13-2004, 09:47 PM
can you guys star elaborating on your abbv. please. What is PD, or GE? im utterly utterly confused and stupid.

GT News
04-13-2004, 09:47 PM
can you guys star elaborating on your abbv. please. What is PD, or GE? im utterly utterly confused and stupid.

Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.

The Germanator
04-14-2004, 01:21 AM

PD = Perfect Dark. GE = Goldeneye. :ornament:

Typhoid
04-14-2004, 01:25 AM
Now that i know these...PD has Nothing on GE... GE is the best game ever invented...thats multiplayer and not online...I used to stay up all night with my friends playin Goldeneye because it was fun and crazy....Perfect Dark some how feeled like a cheesy rip-off, and it felt different somehow, even when you played the GE levels......

GameKinG
04-14-2004, 01:55 AM
GE had a better story and levels than PD, but PD had better guns.

Anyhoo, I dunno if this was mentioned yet, but IGN says NO to perfect dark being at E3. Which pretty much excludes this game from ever being on xbox, and it will be on xbox 2.

TheGame
04-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Now that i know these...PD has Nothing on GE... GE is the best game ever invented...thats multiplayer and not online...I used to stay up all night with my friends playin Goldeneye because it was fun and crazy....Perfect Dark some how feeled like a cheesy rip-off, and it felt different somehow, even when you played the GE levels......

Once I started playing PD there was no going back, none.

Granted I enjoyed GE on it's own, PD completly took the GE gameplay formula and ran with it. The fact that you could play multi-player by yourself, or on the same team with 3 other friends against up to 8CPU guys completly destroied GE's multi player for me.

As for the story mode, GE's was better, but PD's at times was more fun because of Co-op and the addition of more strategy into single player levels. I had to think more to beat PD then GE.

TheGame
04-14-2004, 11:55 AM
GE had a better story and levels than PD, but PD had better guns.

Anyhoo, I dunno if this was mentioned yet, but IGN says NO to perfect dark being at E3. Which pretty much excludes this game from ever being on xbox, and it will be on xbox 2.

I hope it's on Xbox2... no need for another late generation release.

Canyarion
04-14-2004, 03:13 PM
They should have released Perfect Dark on the GameCube. :sneaky:

On a more serious note, we know what late generation releases do with sales numbers. :unsure:
Super Metroid was a great game, but nobody felt like buying a SNES game after they heard about the PSX and N64.
Same with Conker's BFD, Paper Mario en Star Wars: Battle for Naboo..... :(

TheGame
04-14-2004, 03:37 PM
They should have released Perfect Dark on the GameCube. :sneaky:

Yes... they should have.the fact that the game isn't out yet makes me that much more pissed that they were sold to MS.

On a more serious note, we know what late generation releases do with sales numbers. :unsure:
Super Metroid was a great game, but nobody felt like buying a SNES game after they heard about the PSX and N64.
Same with Conker's BFD, Paper Mario en Star Wars: Battle for Naboo..... :(

Exactly, I'd rather wait for PD on Xbox 2 than get it Fall 2005 for Xbox or somthing.

Canyarion
04-14-2004, 04:23 PM
Yes... they should have.the fact that the game isn't out yet makes me that much more pissed that they were sold to MS.
Well actually I meant they should have released the original PD on the Cube, cause PD was also kinda late on the N64. But actually I was very happy with PD on the 64...

And yeah, going to M$ has caused quite some delay methinks...

TheGame
04-14-2004, 04:34 PM
Well actually I meant they should have released the original PD on the Cube, cause PD was also kinda late on the N64. But actually I was very happy with PD on the 64...

And yeah, going to M$ has caused quite some delay methinks...

I used to say that too, lol... I always thought they should Re-make it simply because PD was ahead of it's time and really got punished in visuals because of it.

Could you imagine a version of PD that moves ar 60fps and has networking or online abilities? I would have liked it more than Halo... much more.

Canyarion
04-14-2004, 05:14 PM
Hehe +rep :D
An updated version of PD would indeed be better than Halo. And MUCH better than TimeSplitters 2. :Puke: I saw my brother play that game this afternoon. It's terrible, FRD doesn't know how to evolve a game...

Blix
04-19-2004, 12:33 PM
What game has rare announced and put release dates on? Becuase they have had two games out on all this generation. Man, it still amazes me that Factor 5 could make a game in eight months for the cube (and put the latest sound technology in the last two months of the game development) and Rare took... how much years was it? One or two? and it seems they're getting better at getting slower.

On another note, I concur that the Laptop gun is simply the best weapon on any FPS (Not just Perfect Dark). I loved that weapon. I want to have my N64 back. :baby:

TheGame
04-19-2004, 01:05 PM
What game has rare announced and put release dates on? Becuase they have had two games out on all this generation. Man, it still amazes me that Factor 5 could make a game in eight months for the cube (and put the latest sound technology in the last two months of the game development) and Rare took... how much years was it? One or two? and it seems they're getting better at getting slower.

The running excuse right now is that they don't want to kill Halo 2's hype. PD:Zero has been announced and, according to the Q-Man, is in development. I'm expecting that game to own.

On another note, I concur that the Laptop gun is simply the best weapon on any FPS (Not just Perfect Dark). I loved that weapon. I want to have my N64 back. :baby:

lol yeah, I liked how they have weapons with double functions, the Laptop gun was simply the best. I hope they bring that back too.

Jonbo298
04-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Yep. That is the only excuse why the next PD isnt out. Halo 2. I dont see any other excuses being valid for not releasing it already.