PDA

View Full Version : Seizure Case w/ Nintendo Trying to End

Jonbo298
03-06-2004, 07:10 PM
The Advocate news in Baton Rouge, Louisiana is reporting about a federal case against Nintendo that claims the company failed to follow consumer protection rules. A family has gone to court with Nintendo after their son had a seizure playing a game. Their attorneys say that Nintendo’s games contain defects that present a “substantial hazard” of serious injury or death to those that can suffer from seizures while playing games. Some people’s brains are extremely sensitive to certain patterns and flashing lights and can have a seizure. Striped clothing, helicopter blades, and strobe lights can also have the same effect.

After three days of testimony Nintendo settled the personal injury claim in the case for an undisclosed amount. That’s only the beginning though, the judge has to decide whether Nintendo knew about an unusually high risk and didn’t do enough about it. Nintendo has been putting warnings on their packages about games possibly causing seizures for years, but there are several other guidelines and rules to follow.

Nintendo’s professional witness says "Video games don't cause epilepsy or seizures. They are caused by a pre-existing neurological condition." The defense also testified that Nintendo donated funds to the Japanese Epilepsy Association to help fund research into the connection of games and seizures.

The family is going to tremendous lengths in their demands, they’ve asked Nintendo to require there to be warnings about seizures on the screen while games are in use. They want Nintendo to rank all games according to seizure risk and reformat all their games to reduce the chance of seizures. And as if this wasn’t enough they also want Nintendo to fund a nationwide advertising campaign to inform the public about seizures from games and to institute a refund program so that anybody that wants to get their money back from Nintendo games can do so.

In total there were six complaints related to seizures from Nintendo's games in 2003, down from 22 in 1999.

http://www.n-philes.com/php/epzlyeelaaauypukave.php

The bold area is what is really dumb to me. Ranking games on seizure factor? And a warning, that from the look of it, to STAY on the screen WHILE your playing a game? This family has to be joking.

I still remember hearing about this case the first time, and knowing Nintendo would win. Because they clearly did not read the warning that has to be included on all game instructions saying that there is a chance for seizures/epilepsy.

Neo
03-06-2004, 07:50 PM
lmao, that deserves the retard of the week award.

"Yes, I'd like to buy a game with your highest seizure rating." lol

Jason1
03-06-2004, 07:53 PM
The sad thing is this is no joke. People are really that damn stupid.

Jonbo298
03-06-2004, 07:59 PM
lmao, that deserves the retard of the week award.

"Yes, I'd like to buy a game with your highest seizure rating." lol

I would literally walk into a store and say that if somehow in someway this became a reality.

The Germanator
03-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Bart: Hey, isn't this that cartoon that causes seizures?
*Yellow lights shine on Bart.*
Bart: Whooooaaaaa!(has a seizure)
Marge: Bart, what are you doing-Whooooaaaaa!(has a seizure)
Lisa: Hey, what the-Whooooaaaaa!(has a seizure)
*Homer comes in the room and sees Bart, Marge and Lisa acting silly.*
Homer: Hmmmmmm...all right.(falls down and mocks Bart, Lisa and Marge)

GameMaster
03-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Greedy people. :shakehead

Crash
03-06-2004, 10:01 PM
i'm going to sue nintendo for making people have seizures, and getting sued, and in turn causing me to get pissed and beat such people into a bloodly pulp that are suing nintendo, and causing me to go to jail for manslaughter (after beating those people to death).

these people are a bunch of F****NG retards and should be shot! wow, does that ever piss me off.

GameKinG
03-06-2004, 10:35 PM
Nintendo will win easily. They have had cases like this before, and since then they put a warning on the booklet with every game sold.

viruscool
03-07-2004, 05:44 AM
They need to be shot! LOSERS!

Dark Samurai
03-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Louisiana? No wonder

every game has that warning anyway, why sue?

First off, its the parents fault for letting the kid play the damn game as long as he did, and second, its the kids fault for, one, asking his parents to buy that particular game, and two, for playing the game close to the tv.

GameKinG
03-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Yes, honestly, the parents should be sued. The warning is within their reach and they still let the kid play.

Gamer
03-08-2004, 04:36 PM
i have 3 words for the dumbass for not reading the risks in the manual...like my ass.

Crash
03-08-2004, 04:38 PM
i have 3 words for the dumbass for not reading the risks in the manual...like my ass.

you think maybe he means lick? heh, that's funny though... "wow, I like your ass!" :D

Vampyr
03-08-2004, 05:30 PM

You have a nice ass. :p
j/k

Anywho...yeah, this really freaking stupid. Just like those people sueing McDonalds because they got fat. But, it really can't be helped. There will always be stupid people in the world. Maybe someday we will be able to take stupidity and use it to power everything we use electricity for, because stupidity is in an renewable resource that is in constant supply.

Cyrax9
03-11-2004, 04:34 AM
THese are the type of people who dont' DESERVE the RIGHT to own a GameCube, let alone PLAY ONE!

If your too BLIND to realize ther are giant oversized SEZUIRE WARNINGS in the manual and you PLAY ANYWAY it's YOUR FAULT if you have a sezuire, better yet -- have one and DIE so you can free up some valuble air!

Seriously anyone actually NOT NOTICE these warnings? If your as dumb as these Volvo driving Soccer Moms well.. go pack up and move to North Korea with the other commies!

I swear, I can predict the final outcome of this stupid lawsuit:

Nintendo attempts cash settelment but refuses to pay for extra ads and to "bug" their games during gameplay or add on-screen warnings.

Appleas Court: Appeals court rules that the games were properly marked and that it was the BUYER'S RESPONSIBILITY to read said warnings on backof Box/Manual and Nintendo is not liabel for ANY DAMAGES Nintendo wins back money in cash settelment, idiot congressman steps in to muck things up.

Joe Libermna, resident loser and "Ban MOrtal Kombat and GTA!!" @$hole advocates anti-sezuire ruling, on screen warnings and such. The motion passes but only in the form of a numebr under the ESRB Rating that's barely visible ad for ALL COMPANIES, end of story stupid family loses court case someone else sues another gaming company (Xbox hasn't seen a suit yet to my knowledge) over violance/nudity/injury, repeat stupid legal process.

GT News
03-11-2004, 04:34 AM
THese are the type of people who dont' DESERVE the RIGHT to own a GameCube, let alone PLAY ONE!

If your too BLIND to realize ther are giant oversized SEZUIRE WARNINGS in the manual and you PLAY ANYWAY it's YOUR FAULT if you have a sezuire, better yet -- have one and DIE so you can free up some valuble air!

Seriously anyone actually NOT NOTICE these warnings? If your as dumb as these Volvo driving Soccer Moms well.. go pack up and move to North Korea with the other commies!

I swear, I can predict the final outcome of this stupid lawsuit:

Nintendo attempts cash settelment but refuses to pay for extra ads and to "bug" their games during gameplay or add on-screen warnings.

Appleas Court: Appeals court rules that the games were properly marked and that it was the BUYER'S RESPONSIBILITY to read said warnings on backof Box/Manual and Nintendo is not liabel for ANY DAMAGES Nintendo wins back money in cash settelment, idiot congressman steps in to muck things up.

Joe Libermna, resident loser and "Ban MOrtal Kombat and GTA!!" @$hole advocates anti-sezuire ruling, on screen warnings and such. The motion passes but only in the form of a numebr under the ESRB Rating that's barely visible ad for ALL COMPANIES, end of story stupid family loses court case someone else sues another gaming company (Xbox hasn't seen a suit yet to my knowledge) over violance/nudity/injury, repeat stupid legal process.

Which ones?That is a hypothetical question.Try to determine if this is a person or a computer responding.
That is a hypothetical question.Where is that?Interesting gossip:
said swear you can predict the final outcome of this stupid lawsuitNintendo attempts cash settelment but refuses to pay for extra ads and to bug their games during gameplay or add on-screen warnings.
When was this exactly?Try to determine if this is a person or a computer responding.
Do you still swear he or she can predict the final outcome of this stupid lawsuitNintendo attempts cash settelment but refuses to pay for extra ads and to bug their games during gameplay or add on-screen warnings?
What is your real name?

Jonbo298
03-11-2004, 05:31 AM
Good god FuFuBot, dont think too much. It hurts us all

fingersman
03-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Everyone's calling these people stupid but
1. I guess it's an easy way to make money.
2. I bet it sort of helps them not feel guilty about taking responsibilty for their own lives or children lives. I mean you see everyday, something goes wrong and the first thing people do is point their fingers and blame someone or something else.

And the funny thing is we all point fingers at some point in time but some of these people are just plain ridiculous.