PDA

View Full Version : Pinkerton Academy

Revival
01-18-2002, 09:52 AM
Ok, I've decided to post a little bit more about my High School since some of you seemed interested when I was talking about it in my midterms topic.

Pinkerton Academy is the largest independent academy in the United States. Located in Southern New Hampshire, Pinkerton serves as the comprehensive high school for several communities that have varying socio-economic structures. Approximately 3,500 students attend the Academy. The school's staff is comprised of more than 200 teachers and administrators, and 85 support personnel. Today, Pinkerton Academy owns over 170 acres of land. The main campus, approximately 8 acres, contains sixteen buildings. Twelve buildings are used for academics. One of the unique features of the Academy is its campus setting. Since the Old Academy Building opened in 1815, eight major building projects (the Pinkerton Building, the Shepard Building, the Saltmarsh Library, the Frost English Wing, the First and Second Portables, the Low Vocational Building, the Pinkerton Field House, and the Ek Science Building) have marked major periods of growth in the school's history. In addition, the Trustees have purchased or built eight small buildings that serve specific needs around the campus.

I'll attach the pictures since some of them tend to distort the forum layout, and I'll tell you what each one is to.

Revival
01-18-2002, 09:55 AM
Here's the map of the campus - now, it's missing the student parking lot, the football fields, and the pictures of a few buildings across the streets, but I think you get the idea of how big it is.

Revival
01-18-2002, 10:02 AM
Here's a picture of the new building's construction view:

Revival
01-18-2002, 10:03 AM
Here's the model plan of the new building:

http://www.mv.com/ipusers/pinkerton/ALUMNAB.JPG

Revival
01-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Well, I can't put the pictures in my post because they are too big, and I can't attatch them because they are too big. But, there is a website where you can find the pictures. Click here to view the floor plans for the new arts building (http://www.mv.com/ipusers/pinkerton/FABLDG2.htm).

Xantar
01-18-2002, 12:53 PM
I guess that's where the similarities between my school and yours ends. My high school was a single building affair with a soccer field outside, about 450 students and 40 teachers. Yes, you heard right. There are about 11 students per teacher.

Not nearly as much land or sports activities...

Ah well. I'm not going there anymore. I'm at this 30,000 acre place called Swarthmore College. :)

Revival
01-18-2002, 04:58 PM
Pinkerton has 6 fields, 4 tracks, and not nearly enough parking.

Drunk Hobbit
01-18-2002, 05:04 PM
And at my school there's no parking whatsoever. None. Nada. Zippo. Doesn't really matter since everyone takes public transportation anyway. No tracks, no fields, nor anything of the sort. Can't find any pics on my school but here's some info. Oh well.

In 1936 New York City Mayor Fiorello H. LaGuardia founded The High School of Music and Art in order to provide a facility where the most gifted and talented public school students of New York City could pursue their talents in art or music while also completing a comprehensive academic program of instruction.

In 1948, The School of Performing Arts opened its doors on 46th St., in the heart of the theater district. As a vocational program with a strong academic component, the school offered intense studio training in instrumental music, drama and dance.

It was the late American composer, William Schuman, President Emeritus of Lincoln Center, who first proposed consolidating M.& A. and P.A. and bringing them to Lincoln Center. To that end, in 1961, M.& A. and P.A. became one, organizationally. In Sept. 1984, Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts opened its doors.

Over the years, the school has earned an international reputation for excellence. The accomplishments of our graduates serve as the most vivid proof of the value and worth of our specialized programs of instruction. Our alumni have distinguished themselves in virtually every field of endeavor.

The Germanator
01-18-2002, 07:58 PM
Pinkerton...not Weezer related...*shrugs shoulders*
Well, that sounds like a crazy-ass school man. We pretty much only have one main school buliding, and two gyms. 650 kids, PK-12. Uh, apparently it's one of the better schools in Delaware, but ya know, it is Delaware.

GameKinG
01-18-2002, 08:45 PM
My school, has about: 2,000 students.

Buildings: 30

Property: A lot of acres, and the hill next to it (cross coauntry coarse).

Teachers + Noteable staff: 240

1 Track, 1 football field, 1 baseball field, one main field, one administrative field (next to the admisions office), 1 soccer field, 4 parking lots, one xtra large gym.

About two blocks away they owns a space about 9 house spaces wide, that serves as another office, and smaller gym.

You should also consider the school is 52 years old, and the only new land they bought after that was the space about the size of 9 house properties.

Yet, they did just recently buy the block (midsized) next to them.