PDA

View Full Version : iPod: Original or Mini?

Bube
03-03-2004, 02:01 PM
I was thinking about getting an iPod, but I can't decide which one to get. I was thinking about getting the Mini.

I'm sure that 4GBs are more than enough for me, and it's smaller, and it's lighter, and it's got blue as a color choice, and it's cheaper, and it just looks better.

But on the other hand, for an extra $50, I could get 3.5 times more capacity (even though I know that I won't use it all).

I can't decide. Which one would you prefer (not which one do you want - which one would you prefer if your thoughts were like mine)?

Thanks for your opinions.

BTW, can you see the picture in my sig? I sometimes get the red X, and sometimes see it. I think there's a problem.

Jonbo298
03-03-2004, 02:14 PM
I see your sig fine.

If you can save the extra $50, get the bigger one. You can always put other stuff on the iPod if you can't fill it with songs.

But if you can't get the extra $50, the mini will satisfy you, even though Apple put it at a horrible price point

bobcat
03-03-2004, 03:58 PM
I don't think 4GB is enuff for me. BUt then again it depends on you.

I would get the 20GB. Only because it suits me and I can store a lot more

Null
03-03-2004, 04:03 PM
I don't think 4GB is enuff for me. BUt then again it depends on you.

I would get the 20GB. Only because it suits me and I can store a lot more

get the extra. you'll thank yourself for it later on.

4gigs is horribly small. prolly fit like a quarter of my songs. But you can use these things as hard drives. very nice to back up yoursystem on or carry large files with you.

you'll like the extra space. believe me you will.

sides, i think the normal ones look better then thoes minis.

Vampyr
03-03-2004, 05:41 PM
I agree 100% with Null.

Get the big one.

GameMaster
03-03-2004, 06:28 PM
I have the original 5G and I still haven't filled it yet, it depends. Are you selective about music or do you just download or buy every song you hear on the radio. I'm kind of selective so my collection grows at a slow rate. And if you would make practical use of the extra space, it might be worth it to just get the normal iPod, but if not, go ahead and just getthe iPod Mini, you'll be saving $50, you get to choose a color (which sounded like a buying factor in your post), and it's smaller. Based on the facts you've told us, I think I would get an iPod Mini if I were you.

Edit: Sign up to be a part of my iPod user group! :D

Null
03-03-2004, 07:12 PM
I have the original 5G and I still haven't filled it yet, it depends. Are you selective about music or do you just download or buy every song you hear on the radio. I'm kind of selective so my collection grows at a slow rate. And if you would make practical use of the extra space, it might be worth it to just get the normal iPod, but if not, go ahead and just getthe iPod Mini, you'll be saving $50, you get to choose a color (which sounded like a buying factor in your post), and it's smaller. Based on the facts you've told us, I think I would get an iPod Mini if I were you.

Edit: Sign up to be a part of my iPod user group! :D

being selective doesnt mean small or grows slowly.
it depends on your tastes. if you have a wide open taste and are willing to accept all or most forms of music as music and enjoy them, then you can be selective and have a lot.

if your close minded and will only listen to whats 'cool' or a certain type of music. then selective can grow very slow. ;)

every song i have i like. and i have stuff from every form and kind of music. from classical, to heavy metal, to swing, to disco.
only thing my collection lacks is rap. (i do have a few that i can stand tho, just not a whole lot)
without being able to accept all the differnt types of music, yes, the collection will remain smaller.

Even tho i dont download songs now, and havnt put any new CD's on my ipod in a while. im VERY selective about what i put on there, and when i did, it grew at a decent rate. always fun to hear a song that i havnt heard in 5 years when i put my ipod on random. hehehe

*pulls himself back on topic* You never know what your going to get or how many songs are going to come your way in the future. 50 is quite a deal for the extra space. i'd surely go for it without a doubt.

Canyarion
03-04-2004, 06:56 AM
I'm also thinking of getting an iPod. Since I have iTunes... my music collection has become so much cooler. :D
I know I will need the 20GB version. It's the price that's keeping me from buying it. :( I don't really have that much money to spend... and I want to save some. :)

Bube
03-05-2004, 11:58 AM
You know, I'm thinking of getting the original now. But on Apple's iPod site, it says that in the box, there's a FireWire adapter included. I don't have FireWire. I'm guessing the "4-pin-to-6-pin FireWire adapter" is for USB use. Is that right? And I don't know if I have USB 2.0. What if I don't? I mean, what if mine is 1.1. Then what?

Thanks for putting up with my newbie-ish questions.

Null
03-05-2004, 01:19 PM
You know, I'm thinking of getting the original now. But on Apple's iPod site, it says that in the box, there's a FireWire adapter included. I don't have FireWire. I'm guessing the "4-pin-to-6-pin FireWire adapter" is for USB use. Is that right? And I don't know if I have USB 2.0. What if I don't? I mean, what if mine is 1.1. Then what?

Thanks for putting up with my newbie-ish questions.

you dont NEED usb 2.0, it works on 1.1, just a LOT slower.

and for 25 or 30 bucks you can goto a computer store and pick up a firewire card to put in your computer an use. it makes a BIG difference, and i like it cuz it can be pluged into the computer and the computer will charge it at the same time on a firewire plug..........usb wont charge it at the same time.

and theres 2 types of USB, the normal rectangle one. and a small odd looking square one. i think the adapter is for the small looking square one. but i could be wrong.

Blackmane
03-05-2004, 02:52 PM
I would get a mini. If I got one, that would be the kind I would get for sure. I don't have a whole lot of music, so I don't need oodles and oodles of space.