PDA

View Full Version : Post your Computer Questions/Help

Jonbo298
03-01-2004, 11:16 PM
If anyone has a question. Either small or big, post it here and we'll do our best to help solve whatever issue you may have. And don't worry about not getting a reply shortly because I'm online alot of the time so I can at least give some assistance.

Hero2
03-01-2004, 11:41 PM
My speakers only work when there turned on before my computer is.

ominub
03-02-2004, 12:18 AM
lmao jeff haha

Jonbo298
03-02-2004, 03:34 AM
That problem makes no sense.

GameMaster
03-02-2004, 03:47 AM
My speakers only work when there turned on before my computer is.

Solution: Turn on speakers before turning on computer.

Next!

Vampyr
03-02-2004, 05:15 PM
Solution: Turn on speakers before turning on computer.

Next!

GM is a freaking genius! :D

One Winged Angel
03-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Why are macs so ****ing idiotic?

thatmariolover
03-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Why are macs so ****ing idiotic?

Mac's are like magic mirrors. They are reflect your true self. They're only idiotic when idiots try to use them.

Still having problems?

Null
03-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Mac's are like magic mirrors. They are reflect your true self. They're only idiotic when idiots try to use them.

Still having problems?

so is that your mac in your avatar?

lol. :p j/k

thatmariolover
03-02-2004, 07:01 PM
so is that your mac in your avatar?

lol. :p j/k

Haha. I honestly don't own a Mac right now. I don't have the money to buy a computer, so I'm using the family PC until I do. I have owned Macs. I love Macs. I know tons about Macs. I just don't have a Mac.

Vampyr
03-09-2004, 06:44 PM
ack. I need to know how to convert .wma to .mp3.

Null
03-09-2004, 06:46 PM
ack. I need to know how to convert .wma to .mp3.

just search on google for 'convert WMA MP3'

tons of stuff comes up. http://www.wma-mp3.com/ being the first in the list

Jason1
03-09-2004, 08:42 PM
My computer has been running amazingly stable ever since I started using a rather old omega driver for my Radeon.

bobcat
03-10-2004, 03:52 PM
My computer has been running amazingly stable ever since I started using a rather old omega driver for my Radeon.
*looks for sarcasm*

hmm....:unsure:

Vampyr
03-10-2004, 05:23 PM
just search on google for 'convert WMA MP3'

tons of stuff comes up. http://www.wma-mp3.com/ being the first in the list

Thanks. +rep.

Now I am trying to find a free one that doesnt make me order it in order to convert songs.

Yoda9864
03-10-2004, 06:16 PM
Which radeon do you have?

Radeons are known to have driver issues (although it's gotten a lot better now-a-days). Some drivers work better with certain Radeons. You usually just have to suck it up.

Send like 10 e-mails to ATi and let them know about it, cuz if they don't know about it, they won't do anything about it.

I'm done ranting now.

ominub
03-10-2004, 06:30 PM
9600 PRO yoda but I still have Driver problems sometimes not often though maybe like once every few weeks or so but besides that it runs fine

Jason1
03-10-2004, 07:37 PM
*looks for sarcasm*

hmm....:unsure:

You wont find any. I wasnt being sarcastic at all. Ive got a 9500pro, btw.

Crono
03-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Ok, I have another problem. Today my computer has been telling me that I've been too low on Virtual Memory. Anyone know what's wrong?

Hero2
03-10-2004, 08:50 PM
That means you dont hit it enough. =-D

Bond
03-10-2004, 08:58 PM
You wont find any. I wasnt being sarcastic at all. Ive got a 9500pro, btw.
Mind giving me the link to that old driver? :)

Jonbo298
03-10-2004, 10:13 PM
I've never really had any problems with my asus 9600xt. The only problems it had seemed to be the ones I caused. ie: overclocking it, testing it in a game and then having vpu recover kick in. Maybe I'm just lucky or something to never have any problems with it.

Ok, I have another problem. Today my computer has been telling me that I've been too low on Virtual Memory. Anyone know what's wrong?

If you low on virtual memory, thats usually not a good sign sometimes. You might have alot of programs running in the background or something. What version of windows do you have?

Crono
03-11-2004, 11:37 AM
I've never really had any problems with my asus 9600xt. The only problems it had seemed to be the ones I caused. ie: overclocking it, testing it in a game and then having vpu recover kick in. Maybe I'm just lucky or something to never have any problems with it.

If you low on virtual memory, thats usually not a good sign sometimes. You might have alot of programs running in the background or something. What version of windows do you have?

XP Pro.

Jonbo298
03-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Go into control panel, open up System, go to the Advanced tab, click settings under the Performance area, go to advanced tab, mention how much MB is being used for Page Filing (at the bottom). Then click change and just mention if its on Custom Size or something else. If its on custom size, whats the Initial Size and Max. Size.

Other then that, I would just control alt delete and see how many programs are running in the background.

GT News
03-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Go into control panel, open up System, go to the Advanced tab, click settings under the Performance area, go to advanced tab, mention how much MB is being used for Page Filing (at the bottom). Then click change and just mention if its on Custom Size or something else. If its on custom size, whats the Initial Size and Max. Size.

Other then that, I would just control alt delete and see how many programs are running in the background.

Where is that?Interesting deduction. Can you speak any foreign languages?
That is a hypothetical question.My brain contains 43347 categories, but not one that matches your last input.
Which others? Fascinating. What would make you just control alt delete and see how many programs are running in the background?

Null
03-11-2004, 02:21 PM
if ya got the free space for it. make your virtual mem 1gig. makes the computer work a little faster too :p

and aside from ctrl alt del to see what progs are running.......... start / run : msconfig / then goto startup tab and uncheck the un nessesary programs from running at startup, it only really needs a couple. and you shouldnt have more then a few icons in the icon tray either.

Jonbo298
03-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Oh yeah, that too. Good ol' msconfig. I havent checked mine lately to see what I need to uncheck. But I have done quite a few in the past just because they are useless **** that doesnt deserve to start

Crono
03-12-2004, 08:55 AM
It's not doing it anymore.. it was just that one night for like an hour..

Jonbo298
03-12-2004, 04:13 PM
lol, ok. Well, you had something in there eating quite a bit of memory, we'll just never know what it was...:sneaky:

Vampyr
03-12-2004, 05:38 PM
I have a problem.

Ok, I reformated my old computer. It was corrupted with a virus, so I reformatted it and everything. It works like a brand new computer, but I'm having a little problem. Ok, so I have a bunch of CD's with anime on them. I want to store these anime's on my old computer.

I downloaded the DivX codec and player on my new computer, and installed it on my old one. I tried to play a video, and I could hear the music and words, but the picture was just flashing green light. Any suggestions. :confused:

Jonbo298
03-12-2004, 06:02 PM
Have you tried ripping the movies/storing them on the computer and not running it off the cd's? And I'm guessing your using the divx player too.

btw, what format are the anime in? avi, mpeg, etc...

Vampyr
03-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Have you tried ripping the movies/storing them on the computer and not running it off the cd's? And I'm guessing your using the divx player too.

btw, what format are the anime in? avi, mpeg, etc...

Yeah, I have tried ripping them, and it doesnt help, and yeah, I'm using the divX player. They are in .avi format.

Jonbo298
03-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Try playing the movies in Windows Media Player to see what happens. This'll help eliminate a few possible causes

Vampyr
03-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Try playing the movies in Windows Media Player to see what happens. This'll help eliminate a few possible causes

When I try to play it in Windows Media Player, it starts to load up, but it continues to say "opening" in the bottom, but it never actually opens. Then when I hold down ctrl, alt, delete, it says that Windows Media Player is not responding. So it just continues to say "opening" and nothing ever happens. It is an old version of Windows Media Player, but I dont see how that would affect it not playing correctly on the divX player.

Jonbo298
03-12-2004, 06:32 PM
I was checking to make sure it wasn't something weird with your computer not rendering the video correctly. I'd recommend upgrading the Media Player (since its not liking the opening of the avi files for some reason) and vid. card drivers if you can. Other then that, maybe uninstlal/reinstall divx player. If that doesnt work, then find a way to use a different player to see if the .avi files work fine.

GT News
03-12-2004, 06:32 PM
I was checking to make sure it wasn't something weird with your computer not rendering the video correctly. I'd recommend upgrading the Media Player (since its not liking the opening of the avi files for some reason) and vid. card drivers if you can. Other then that, maybe uninstlal/reinstall divx player. If that doesnt work, then find a way to use a different player to see if the .avi files work fine.

Where were you checking to make sure it was not something weird with your computer not rendering the video correctly?I will take that under advisement.Ask me another question.
Which others? Interesting deduction. "Are you a student" maybe uninstlalreinstall divx player ?
I understand.I'm not sure if it could.Are you a man or a woman?

Hero2
03-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Where were you checking to make sure it was not something weird with your computer not rendering the video correctly?I will take that under advisement.Ask me another question.
Which others? Interesting deduction. "Are you a student" maybe uninstlalreinstall divx player ?
I understand.I'm not sure if it could.Are you a man or a woman?
Yea I think hes got me beat on grammer. But I still spell worse.

Vampyr
03-12-2004, 07:52 PM

Ok, I'll go try this out. I'll have to download a newer version of windows media player on this computer first, because my old one doesnt have any interent access. I'll get back to on how it works out.

Cyrax9
03-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Ok guys, I’m going to need a bit of help here, let me explain:

I’ve nearly completed my Windows ME/RH Linux Workstation Dual-Boot system using a RAID-1 Array (Mirroring) for extra data protection. Windows is installed and takes up about half of the RAID-1 Array as planned; everything is working fine, well almost everything.

PROBLEM: RHL Workstation doesn’t seem to have a compatible driver for my VIA 6410 RAID Controller card, which is housed on my Asus P4P800 DELUXE MoBo. This is the STONE IN MY SHOE so to speak, EVERYTHING else is WORKING, all other parts ARE COMPATIBLE with RHL Workstation, and now I’m stuck and I need your help!

I’m contacting RH at www.Redhat.com I’m contacting Asus as www.Asus.com and I’m contacting VIA at www.viaarena.com to try and find a working driver. I’ve come VERY CLOSE to success, I have a way to patch the kernel but I hear it’s a bit risky so I don’t want to do that just yet. I have a Driver for my 6410 RAID device, but it’s for RHL 7 and was compiled with a VERSION 2 compiler – NOT a VERSION 3 compiler and presents the error message that the two compilers are incompatible. Needless to say I DO NOT have the source code or I’d just recompile the driver made for RHL 7.2 but:

1. It’s the "wrong" driver, and…
2. It’s not worth a thing if I don’t have SOURCE CODE to recompile!

As you can see I’m desperate, I need YOUR HELP to get this thing working, all that’s standing between me a finished PC now is a driver! If you USE LINUX, or know of a site with LINUX DRIVERS that has one for my RAID Controller, PLEASE reply! I’m a bit annoyed as you might have guessed I KNOW Linux runs though, because it’s currently sitting on a LOANED HARD DRIVE from my tech friend who’s helping me with this.

Anything useful, no matter how insignificant it seems is helpful, if I need to pay for the driver that’s fine too, I just need to get this working. I’ve got a spot set up on the RAID Array for ‘Nix but… no driver, no Linux!

Thank you all in advance for your help :) ;

(A very stressed and aggravated) Cyrax9

PS This is kind of sad coming form the former Mod of the computers forum, isn't it? ;) (Hey, even some of the best need help at times. Oh and from what I DID get to do in Linux -- screw with the Terminal, I already like it! Now, I just need it to run on the RAID Array)

Jonbo298
03-13-2004, 09:37 AM
I was reading on the first thing I saw on a linux forum at viaarea.com and the person that is the rep. for via says they are still developing it. Funny how I saw that the thread is still around since july 2003, lol. I'm trying to see if there is such a driver, and I've had no luck yet:(

Vampyr
03-13-2004, 12:46 PM
Ok, I'll go try this out. I'll have to download a newer version of windows media player on this computer first, because my old one doesnt have any interent access. I'll get back to on how it works out.

Ok, so before I downloaded WMP, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the divX player for a third time. This time, by some twist of fate in the laws of physics and nature in the universe, it worked. DivX player doesnt like to play the files, but now WMP (the one I already had installed) decided to get smart or something and start working.

Thank's a bunch, Jonbo. :D

Jonbo298
03-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Cool, no problem. I myself have been having a problem with some video's playing right because it makes some (not all) videos have a green overlay on it in WMP. After I turned video acceleration off, it was perfect. I still have no clue why it does that. One of these times ill reformat by computer but I have way to many things to just do it right now

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
03-15-2004, 10:13 PM
umm...anyone know the run command to get the the window that lets you pick which programs should or shouldn't run at startup? thanks

Null
03-15-2004, 10:50 PM
umm...anyone know the run command to get the the window that lets you pick which programs should or shouldn't run at startup? thanks

its already been said in this topic..... msconfig

The Germanator
03-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Hey...I'm not sure how this would work, but would anybody willing to send me an microsoftword.exe file over AIM? I have Wordperfect as my word processor, but a crappy printer so I can't print from my computer. The computers at the library have Microsoft word, but for some reason they refuse to convert my WordPerfect document to the MicroSoft Word program so I can't print...if you know of anyway I can get MSWord or anyway to solve the WP to Word conversion problem it'd be much appreciated.

Jonbo298
03-18-2004, 01:14 AM
As you are getting ready to save the document, go to Save As, and there should be multiple options on what to save the file format as. Microsoft word should be an option, and if not, then save it as an RTF file. Word can read those formats easily.

fingersman
03-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Ok I got a problem I can't find a driver for a liteon cd-rom for Xp
The driver name is LTN526D

I would just let Xp find the drivers on the net but the comp I'm fixign doesn't have access to the net

If anyone can find it plz respond. THx

The Germanator
03-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Hey, I've got a question! I've been wondering how to get a custom little picture thingy (like dictionary.com has books, and cnn.com has their little logo, etc) in the toolbar for my band's website. I've noticed more recently that almost every site I go to these days has one, and I think it would be a nifty feature to have.

GameMaster
03-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Hey, I've got a question! I've been wondering how to get a custom little picture thingy (like dictionary.com has books, and cnn.com has their little logo, etc) in the toolbar for my band's website. I've noticed more recently that almost every site I go to these days has one, and I think it would be a nifty feature to have.

Good question, GT should have one also.

fingersman
03-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Hey what about my question? :(

Jonbo298
03-23-2004, 05:28 PM
Hey what about my question? :(

I'm working on it. Just woke up.

I checked out LiteOn's site and this is the best I found.
http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download_cdrom.htm
They have LTR526 firmware. Doesnt say d at the end, but thats the closest I could find

Jonbo298
03-23-2004, 05:41 PM

If I understand you correctly, your wanting a custom pic made, right? If so, someone here could do one for ya when they have some time

Vampyr
03-23-2004, 05:42 PM
If I understand you correctly, your wanting a custom pic made, right? If so, someone here could do one for ya when they have some time

What he is talking about is that small graphic on the left side of the address bar in your browser. Most webpages now days have a custom graphic. If you go to dictionary.com, they have a small stack of books there.

Jonbo298
03-23-2004, 05:44 PM
What he is talking about is that small graphic on the left side of the address bar in your browser. Most webpages now days have a custom graphic. If you go to dictionary.com, they have a small stack of books there.

ahhhhh, ok. Now I understand. thanks :) +rep

The Germanator
03-23-2004, 06:32 PM
ahhhhh, ok. Now I understand. thanks :) +rep

Yeah, but does anyone know how to implement that when making a website? That's my real question...I use DreamWeaver, and don't know how to use it that well, but if anyone knows anything it'd be appreciated.

GameMaster
03-23-2004, 10:32 PM
1. What is DreamWeaver used for?

2. If I'm interested in it's function will you teach me all you know?

Jonbo298
03-23-2004, 10:52 PM
1. What is DreamWeaver used for?

Creating websites with more "flair" and much easier then doing it from scratch.

Blade Runner
04-03-2004, 05:21 PM
I have an awesome dreamweaver tutorial. If you're interested i could send it to you some day...unless you have dial up or something :)

GT News
04-03-2004, 05:21 PM
I have an awesome dreamweaver tutorial. If you're interested i could send it to you some day...unless you have dial up or something :)

Where did you get awesome dreamweaver tutorial ? I think I sometimes am.I don't know whether or not I am interested he or she could send it to you some day.
I am an artificial linguistic entity. :-) Or something. Perhaps. What makes you think I have dial up?

Blade Runner
04-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Where did you get awesome dreamweaver tutorial ? I think I sometimes am.I don't know whether or not I am interested he or she could send it to you some day.
I am an artificial linguistic entity. :-) Or something. Perhaps. What makes you think I have dial up?

Holy shi*t, when i got back from submitting you had already replied.

Um..i was just saying, if you have dial up i'm not sending and um...gimme a second to find the link.

EDIT: ok here are the links...

Learnind Dreamweaver MX 2004 (http://www.lynda.com/products/videos/dwmxcd/)
Intermediate Dreamweaver 2004MX (2cds) (http://www.lynda.com/products/videos/interdw4cd/)

I've only skimmed through them but I watched all the flash tutorials and they were extremely well done. This is a different narrator and piece of software so I dunno if they will be as good. They are all quicktime by the way, its not text. You view the narrators computer as he/she talks.

Jonbo298
04-03-2004, 08:48 PM
FuFuBot is just a BOT Blade Runner;) Nothing real except his creator, Neo:)

Blade Runner
04-03-2004, 10:52 PM
FuFuBot is just a BOT Blade Runner;) Nothing real except his creator, Neo:)

Whoops, haven't been here in a while :unsure: I wondered how that was possible. I was like er..he must foreign and doesn't know english very well. Still a cool job on neos part.

Um...anyways, i guess i still answered gamemasters question.

GameMaster
04-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Yes you did, and thanks for the cool tutorial links.

Vampyr
04-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Ok, I need some help:

I have this project for school in my PC repair class, right? Well, our project is to research every part we will need to build a computer on the internet, and compile a list of all the parts, then write a report about why we chose those pieces, and how they work together.

So, being the person I am, I decided to build a gaming computer.

I picked out this really suave red case (I'll post a link later when I find it again.) It comes with a 500 watt power supply, 12 drive bays, and 7 expansion slots. It has a bunch of fans, a door on the front that opens, cooling controls, and just neat stuff like that.

I have already picked out a processor, a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz thing.

What I REALLY need right now is a motherboard. The best one imaginable with the best chipset ever. :D

I've been looking and I cant find anything. :( So, if someone can show me an awesome one, it will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. My case uses ATX motherboards

Jonbo298
04-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Is your processor a P4 3.4 ghz prescott? need the brand otherwise I/We won't know what mobo to look for thats compatible.

Vampyr
04-09-2004, 06:50 AM
eh, I left all this info at school lol. I'll bring home the info and stuff and post it today after I get off from school.

Vampyr
04-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Ooops. I forgot I was supposed to come back. tee hee.

Here is my processor:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-168&depa=1

Now I need the suavest, fastest Motherboard imaginable. (cost is not a factor.)

[edit] Here is my case, if you need that:
http://www.xpcases.com/index.aspx?cat=65&item=333

Vampyr
04-25-2004, 12:28 PM
Ooops. I forgot I was supposed to come back. tee hee.

Here is my processor:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-168&depa=1

Now I need the suavest, fastest Motherboard imaginable. (cost is not a factor.)

[edit] Here is my case, if you need that:
http://www.xpcases.com/index.aspx?cat=65&item=333

Help...please?

Jonbo298
04-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Help...please?

oops, sorry. I must've overlooked your reply. I've got a half hour before City of Heroes servers come online so ill look for a good mobo.

*edit*
I looked on newegg and it looks like the choice by quite a few people is the Asus P4C800-E DELUXE

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-464&depa=1

Crono
04-26-2004, 07:38 PM
I have yet another computer problem. Usually about 10 min after my PC boots up it freezes. But sometimes it doesn't. I scanned with Norton just the other day (when it didn't end up freezing) and no viruses were found. Does anyone know what is causing this? I'm thinking about just reformatting my whole hard drive.

Jonbo298
04-26-2004, 08:04 PM
When the computer comes back up, does XP say anything about "X program" caused the system to hang? If not, it could vary on random lockups. If you want, just backup important stuff and reformat. Usually never hurts to do it.

I used to get random lockups and I narrowed the cause but I found out I think it was just my mobo and Nvidia's IDE driver causing the problem. But now I dont have the problem after I've wiped the drive a few times for various things.

Crono
04-26-2004, 08:11 PM
When the computer comes back up, does XP say anything about "X program" caused the system to hang? If not, it could vary on random lockups. If you want, just backup important stuff and reformat. Usually never hurts to do it.

I used to get random lockups and I narrowed the cause but I found out I think it was just my mobo and Nvidia's IDE driver causing the problem. But now I dont have the problem after I've wiped the drive a few times for various things.

I'll have to get back to you on the boot up thing. How long does it usually take to reformat anyway?

Jonbo298
04-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Usually an hour or less. Just depends. But almost always should take less then an hour.

Seth
04-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Backup and reformat!

That's what I do. Well, not always in that order.

Vampyr
04-27-2004, 06:17 PM
oops, sorry. I must've overlooked your reply. I've got a half hour before City of Heroes servers come online so ill look for a good mobo.

*edit*
I looked on newegg and it looks like the choice by quite a few people is the Asus P4C800-E DELUXE

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-464&depa=1

Alright Jonbo, thanks. and a big +rep for you.

I did find a different mobo, though, before reading your recommendation. I compared the chipsets (which is what I was really wondering about), and the two Mobo's have the same chipset, so I know I got a good one thanks to you. :D

I need to get a few more things, and my computer will be complete. I'll make a new thread and post all the stuff I'm "buying" for it, and you guys can critique me.

-----

And crono, if worse comes to worse, reformat. heh. But I have NEVER reformatted my current PC, and I've had it for more than 3 years. This friend of mine reformats her computer every single time something goes wrong. That seems like HUGE hassle to me. So see if you can fix it first, then go for the reformation.

GameMaster
05-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Is adding memory to a PC hard? And where's a good place to buy it?

Null
05-09-2004, 12:57 AM
nope. you just gotta know what you have or what your computer can use. find the max amount of course.

places to buy newegg.com or if you dont like going online.

honestly best buy will have good prices once and a while in thier sale ad.

Crono
05-25-2004, 03:04 PM
Once again my ****ty PC has problems. Now it's resetting itself immediately after boot-up. I did a quick google search and couldn't find anything. Can anyone help me before I feel like smashing my pc? I'm on a different one right now. I haven't reformatted yet and got a power source change a couple months ago. I have no damn idea what's wrong. It's definitely not overheating, although I will vacuum behind my desk to clean up any dust and cat hair.

Also, I want to reformat but I can't change my primary boot drive to CDROM, it wont let me, any suggestions? Thanks to anyone who has advice.

Jonbo298
05-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Have you checked in the Bios for the boot order? Almost every bios has a boot order in it where you can change it to cdrom, etc...

Crono
05-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Have you checked in the Bios for the boot order? Almost every bios has a boot order in it where you can change it to cdrom, etc...

Ok, I'll look, but I'm more worried about the restting problem, heh.

GameMaster
06-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Will upgrading my PC from 256MB of memory to 512MB make my WarCraft 3 gaming experience better? And it will also make the computer performance in general faster?

Jonbo298
06-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Will upgrading my PC from 256MB of memory to 512MB make my WarCraft 3 gaming experience better? And it will also make the computer performance in general faster?

YES. WC3 will run better and smoother, along with any other 3d games you have. And overall your computer should perform a little faster. If your on XP, upgrading to 512 is recommended as 256 is pretty bleh with it.

Although a video card upgrade helps, if you dont have enough ram, ram becomes the bottlekneck for the video card because the game has to keep accessing the hard drive more and more (virtual ram), thus degrading performance.

Joeiss
06-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Well, I start university in September, and I decided to buy a laptop based on my brother's and others' opinions. I see many ads about laptops in magazines, online and in the newspapers which have varying prices and various features. I was hoping that I could get some help here about what features I need for the present and the future.

A main thing that I need is a wireless connection... Like a wireless LAN port is it called? Intel Centrinos have it built in, and I am pretty sure Pentium M processors do too. I am majoring in Accounting, so I need a computer basically for spreadsheets and wordprocessing, but I will also use it for internet use, downloads, instant messengers and movies (both comedy and pornography, haha).

Here are a couple of computers that I am scouting out now (all prices are CAD).

Horizon 1800 M $1529.17
Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor - M 1.80 GHz
MICROSOFT® WINDOWS® XP HOME
Notebook Memory 256MB DDR SODIMM
Notebook CY25 14" XGA BASE Unit
40GB 4200RPM 2.5" Notebook Hard Drive
24X Combo Drive For G731 Mode
Corel Productivity Software
*and I am pretty sure it comes with MSWorks Suite or something.... *

Visionbook Pro 6000 $1537.00
Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology Intel® Pentium® M Processor 1.30 GHz
MICROSOFT® WINDOWS® XP HOME
Notebook Memory 256MB DDR SODIMM
40GB 4200RPM 2.5" Notebook Hard Drive
Notebook CL50 14" XGA Base Unit
16X Combo Drive For G731 Model
Microsoft® Works Suite OEM
.NB System

This is from a place called MDG here in Canada. I have an MDG desktop here at the house, and it has been very good so far. So basically, I just need some opinions on whether or not these two systems are good, and any upgrades I could possibly need! Thanks in advance, and I'll check in with new finds whenever I can.

Jonbo298
06-27-2004, 12:28 AM
As long as both are WiFi compatible, I'd recommend going with the first one. From what I've heard, the Pentium M's are pretty good for laptops since they dont suck much power and performance is pretty good.

Vampyr
08-01-2004, 02:22 PM
I'm considering upgrading my PC to make it more game worthy. I'm going to need to save up for a while to get all the stuff...or I could upgrade it instead of getting the iPod I want so bad.

But anyway, this expands on GM's question he asked earlier: How do I tell what kind of RAM my computer uses? Do I have to open up the case, or can I access it some other way?

Also, I desperatly need to upgrade my video card. I cant afford the best on the market, but pretty much anything is better than what I have now. Can you guys recommend a good affordable video card? Also, will there be compatibility issues? Like will my computer only work with certain video cards, and how do I check that?

I also want to know how to call up my system specs on my screen. I've done it before, but I forgot how. I would like to check my processing speed and my bus size, etc.

And lastly, is there really anything I can do to make my computer more game-worthy other than upgrading RAM and the video card? I KNOW my RAM needs upgraded...I'm running windows XP and I have 128MB...

Thanks.

Jonbo298
08-01-2004, 04:50 PM
More RAM is a definite there. 128 megs on XP is horrible. Get at least 512. As for what kind you have, check documentation for computer if it came with some and see if it uses DDR or SDRAM. Since it has XP, I'm gonna guess DDR.

As for video card, tell how much your willing to spend. A 9800Pro will cost ya right around $200 but you get your best bang for your buck with it. If its around $150 or so, a 9600XT will be suffice but on newer games, you cant crank everything up. And your computer should be able to handle the video card you get. As long as its at least 4x AGP compatible, your fine.

And to check out system specs. Motherboard Monitor is a good program to bring up them.

What kind of processor do your have? RAM and video card are 2 biggest htings to make gaming experience better but If I know what processor you have, I can say you'll be fine or good enough.

Vampyr
08-01-2004, 07:52 PM
I found it. A pentium 4, but it's only 1.8. Damn, I wish my computer didnt suck so bad.

I'm going to look for that documentation you mentioned later.

And I might go for the 9800...I thought it was more expensive then what you said.

And do you have a link to that program you mentioned, or should I just google it?

Jonbo298
08-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Google it. Not too hard to miss ;) :p

If you check out newegg.com they have the more cheaper 9800Pro's (around the $200 or so mark). Or check out pricewatch.com and check other prices.

As for the Processor. Its good but down the road you'll want to upgrade to probably a 2.6 usually nowadays is a good point for gaming.

Vampyr
08-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks man. :) You've been a ton of help today, so I owe you some more rep.

Now I have to decide between souped up computer or an iPod. :( I have enough cash to do one or the other...But maybe if I can mow enough yards before summer is over I can do both.

Vampyr
08-02-2004, 12:09 AM
I have a big problem now, and my computer needs saved.

I'm having a big problem with virus's. Every so often I get popups from norton saying there is a worm or something in a certain file, and every time it finds this virus, it is "unable to repair". So I ask you, wtf is the damn antivirus good for if it can detect a virus but not repair it?

I was trying to play frogger earlier in the arcade, and I would have won, but I got like 4 virus pop ups.

I got a little pop up a while back saying something about a sasser worm. (I had updated my windows, I thought I was safe from this!) I got a removal tool, and then after it got done scanning, it said it didnt even detect it on my computer. wtf.

I tried downloading the AVG antivirus that zebra mentioned in another thread, but when I try to install, it says "shell.dll not detected" or something like that.

I know most of you will recommend to reformat, but do I have any other options? I'm scared that I'm going to lose something valuable if I reformat.

Jonbo298
08-02-2004, 12:38 AM
Boot into Safe Mode (keep hitting F8 before the XP loading screen thing comes up)..and when in safe mode, run norton again. It should be able to remove the file.

Vampyr
08-02-2004, 12:51 AM
Boot into Safe Mode (keep hitting F8 before the XP loading screen thing comes up)..and when in safe mode, run norton again. It should be able to remove the file.

Thank you, and God bless. lol

I'll try that next time I'm rebooting. And now I owe you MORE rep! lol. :p

dropCGCF
08-08-2004, 12:02 AM
Help!

My Internet Explorer died, it's gone, and I'm typing this using an Iexplore file I got from Limewire. The only problem is, I can't change my security preferences, and I don't get pop-ups (say I want to click on a link to a game that opens in a seperate window, won't work, white screen). I'm running Windows ME, but the thing is, I don't have a bootup or backup disk and I'm not sure how or why or even WHAT files got deleted. Does anyone know:
1. How I could fix this myself,
2. Where to download the tools to get it working again,
3. OR HOW TO SAVE MY COMPUTER!

I haven't played Heavy Cannon in a while now. Please help me.

Typhoid
08-08-2004, 12:10 AM
Use Firefox or a browser like that. My IE slows my computer down every time it opens something, i still cant look at profiles for MSN because IE is the default setting and i dont know how to change it to Firefox.

I know none of that helps you, but its another question in itself.

How can i set my MSN profile viewer to Firefox so it wont open with IE?

dropCGCF
08-08-2004, 12:16 AM
I took care of my problem. Something with XML parsers. +rep me.

Jonbo298
08-08-2004, 12:28 AM
Not sure on the MSN profile thing Typhoid, call MSN and see what response they give you.

As for IE, depending on what happened, you might have screwed over IE. Can't remember if ME has it or not, but you can try repairing IE.

Open My computer, go to control panel, then open Add/remove programs and see if Internet Explorer is in it (might be slightly variated). Click change/remove and click the option to repair.

I can't guarantee 100% its in ME but if it is, try it.

Other then that, you'll have to use another browser or reinstall ME..or just get rid of ME altogether :D

GameMaster
08-08-2004, 01:15 AM
How I keep an MSN display picture, I have one I like, and wheneven I sign on, it has me using one of the default ones again, do I always have to select my custom one or is there a way to permenantly set it?

GameMaster
09-03-2004, 02:37 AM
I'm going to buy a G5 later in the year, the best card I can get for it is a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL. In the spectrum of cards, is this one on the better end? It's $450 to upgrade to it so I assume it's pretty good?

The standard one it comes with is an ATI Radeon 9600 XT with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM.

Jonbo298
09-03-2004, 05:41 AM
9600xt is for if you game but don't care about detail.

6800Ultra is if you want to game and have everything cranked up pumping out good framerates. In this comparison, I'd go with the 6800Ultra if you can spare the cash. If not, the 9600xt should be fine but a 9800Pro is alot better (not as good as the 6800Ultra)

The Germanator
09-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Hey...So, my computer made a long car ride here to Vermont, and now I'm a little worried about something. My disk drives are totally ****ED up. My D drive opens, but it doesn't read the disc (it actually did the other day, but it won't right now) My E drive won't even open, except it did the other day as well...I thought it was all fine once it opened the first time, but now it's screwed up again If something is wrong, would it be easily fixable? I don't see what could have gone too wrong but I dunno. I just got Sims 2 and I wanna play. :(

EDIT: okay, so I restarted my computer and now the E drive opens and works, but the D drive still won't read anything...I don't get it.

Cyrax9
09-21-2004, 03:51 AM
Help needed:

Okay, I built a killer rig for which specs can be obtained upon request, it's only missing "the toaster" and a few parts are sligtly not the fastest anymore but then I have a reason. I'm trying to dual-boot Windows ME and RedHat Professional Workstation with a RAID-1 Set up on an Asus P4P800 Deluxe Motherboard using the onboard VIA VT6410 RAID Controller.

Windows works fine, a phrase you don't here often the problem... is Linux. The RAID Controller does NOT have a Driver for "Redhat ENTERPRISE Linux WS Version 3" which is what RedHat Professional Workstation uses for its' drivers. I checked the VIA, Asus and RedHat sites. RHPW has very little support since it's basically RHEL WS Version 3 at a consumer price (Not RHL 9.0) so I need some help here.

Can anybody code a low-level device driver for me? Via's website www.viaarena.com has drivers for other versions of Linux if you need something to build off of.

There are a few "solutions" I don't want:

1. Upgrade Windows, I want ME, only ME and nothing but ME, no Win2k and no way in hell do I want WinXP -- no, no NO! Just WinME, please don't tell me too upgrade, XP isn't what I want.

2. Buy a new MoBo/Raid Controller: No Controller cards are available for my P-ATA HDD's (No SATA) and I don't want anything that involves upgrades, please this controller is fine, the system is loaded.

So if anyone can code a device driver for me (and any other 'nix user with this set-up) I'd appreciate it, you'll be helping the entire Linux community. I don't see SgtPikachu here anymore it seems so I'm hoing another 'nix user can help me, then I can get this ting woring.

Many thanks in advance, and while I could just run 'doze that defeats the purpose of building a dual-boot machine and using 'nix, I want to use this version of 'nix as well so again, please don't ask me to change the OS just provide a driver or someone who can provide me with one, thank you!

NOTE: last I checked Linuxis open sorce and anyone can code a driver without fear of a call from the FBI, unlike Windows where peaking at the source code is a major no-no that sets off alarms in Bill Gates' office. Thanks again! :) ~Cyrax9~

Jonbo298
09-21-2004, 11:54 AM
Sorry on not replying Germy. Didn't think about it until now. I don't think the drives are broken. Best advice on if one works, then the other works is to reinstall windows in case its acting up for some reason.

As for Cyrax, I can't help ya there. Wish I could since it sounds like a good challenge but I don't have the "smarts" to use Linux/Linux based drivers yet to code up something

The Germanator
09-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Seems like they aren't broken...I didn't really do anything to them and they seem to be working fine now, I dunno.

Null
09-21-2004, 12:01 PM
1. Upgrade Windows, I want ME, only ME and nothing but ME, no Win2k and no way in hell do I want WinXP -- no, no NO! Just WinME, please don't tell me too upgrade, XP isn't what I want.

Why would that be an answer to a linux question?

and by reading that, you are smoking something.. lol. gotta be the only person in the world to ever udder the words "i want windows ME" :lol:

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
09-21-2004, 01:34 PM
i wish i could help you Cyrax, but may i just ask why you prefer not to switch to Windows 2k?

GameMaster
09-27-2004, 03:18 AM
On the spectrum of graphics cards, where does the Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 fall? This is the default card that came with our PC and it's fine for WarCraft 3 but Sims 2 isn't really looking too hot and it isn't moving as fluid as I would like it to be moving. Since the 512MB of memory and 2.0 GHz processor exceed the minimum requirements for this game, I'm left to assume that it's the grpahics card that needs to be upgraded. Can someone knowledgable give me a good reccommendation for a new card? I don't want the VERY best, but I'd like something that will at least make the Sims 2 look good. Currently, this and WarCraft our the only games I play on the PC but I might get more down the road. So a card that'll last a few years anyways as far as being able to handle the ever-improving quality of games.

Jonbo298
09-27-2004, 03:44 AM
A 9600Pro/9600XT is a good mid-range card for around $100-$150. It has enough performance for people like you who don't game heavily and don't need top of the line but wanna play current games smooth enough.

If you can spend around $200, a 9800Pro will do you well for current games and future games.

GameMaster
09-27-2004, 03:59 AM
Thanks Jonbo, I knew you'd respond tonight :)

As long as I'm getting a new one, I think I'll just go with the 9800Pro. Will installing this be anymore difficult than installing memory? Also, I'm assuming I should buy this through newegg.com, right?

Edit: One more thing, there seem to be 3 different models: MSI, ATI, and Sapphire. What's the difference between these and which one should I get?

Jonbo298
09-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Newegg.com is good for 9800Pro's. Sapphire is a good brand. THis is the one I'd recommend. Just right under $200 and free shipping. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-268&depa=1

FYI, don't get the $160 or around there 9800Pro's. They are crippled versions of the card and have bad naming.

Since you have an Nvidia card right now, before installing the 9800Pro, uninstall/remove any nvidia drivers. After that, you can turn off the computer, remove the old video card and install the new one. Boot up, get the latest drivers off www.ati.com (the cat 4.9's) and then go from there and should go smooth. And it isn't too much harder then installing memory. Pop the old one out, pop the new one in. Make sure old drivers gone, put in new drivers and your done.

And don't forget to touch metal on the case before touching the video card ;) One false touch of static and your done.

GameMaster
10-09-2004, 04:43 PM
How I do I secure my wireless network so that my PC can still use it but neighbors can't. I'm not paranoid but I also don't want neighbors tapping my connection. I just ask because my computer is able to detect my neighbors and their's is unprotected so if I wanted I could just use theirs and mine's unprotected also so they could do the same thing.

The Germanator
10-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Hey, I've got a pretty serious and troublesome monitor issue here...All the colors are very washed out to the point that GameTavern nearly looks like it's in grayscale or something. It's done this before, but it's usually reverted back very quickly and it hasn't done that yet. I'll post a screen shot so you know what I'm talking about it. I'm worried that this is one of those permanent things, but I don't see how this thing could be so fragile...Any help on what to do is appreciated.

Jonbo298
10-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Everything looks fine to me. Possibly a monitor or video card driver issue. Get either the newest Ati Catalyst drivers or if you have an Nvidia card, get the newest drivers for them.

And sorry for not getting back to GM. But I think what you may want to set up is a password for your network. Usually the software that comes with it, you can setup a password or I believe its called an SSID (correct me if I'm wrong),

Happydude
10-17-2004, 11:04 PM
Germy...it's your monitor, not your vid card...cause if it was your vid card, the SS would show some abnormalities (which it does not) so it's you're monitor, you may need to degauss (sp?) it which you can do with the buttons on the monitor, or unplug it completly for about 5-10 minutes and let it discharge (by unplug i mean from everything).

do those things and post here again.

as for you GM...you need to set a password for the network...the SSID which Jonbo has mentioned is the name of the network you are connecting to ("default" by default)...what u need to look for is a "WEP" or "WEP Encryption" and enable it on your router...set a password, then set up the connection with the password...and you're done.

Jonbo298
10-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Ah yes, WEP. That's what I was thinking of. I just couldn't remember the name :eyes:

The Germanator
10-18-2004, 02:28 AM
Germy...it's your monitor, not your vid card...cause if it was your vid card, the SS would show some abnormalities (which it does not) so it's you're monitor, you may need to degauss (sp?) it which you can do with the buttons on the monitor, or unplug it completly for about 5-10 minutes and let it discharge (by unplug i mean from everything).

do those things and post here again.

Thanks man, I'll try those things tomorrow and report back. I've messed with the buttons already by the way.

EDIT: Hey, I did the unplugging method and it worked to perfection, everything is back to normal! :D Thanks again!

Happydude
10-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Thanks man, I'll try those things tomorrow and report back. I've messed with the buttons already by the way.

EDIT: Hey, I did the unplugging method and it worked to perfection, everything is back to normal! :D Thanks again!
glad to help :)

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
12-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Oi! Oi! Oi! I need help!!!!!!!!

i was playing Half Life 2, and at one point i got stuck, and really bored. I decided to see how well my computer would be able to handle all the settings on max. The game crashed and now i can't even get back in considering the main menu uses the game engine to produce the background!!

oh, and another thing, sometimes my computer will spontaniously reset while playing CSsource.. any help? I have an Athlon XP 2500+, i think it may be overheating...

please?

Null
12-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Oi! Oi! Oi! I need help!!!!!!!!

i was playing Half Life 2, and at one point i got stuck, and really bored. I decided to see how well my computer would be able to handle all the settings on max. The game crashed and now i can't even get back in considering the main menu uses the game engine to produce the background!!

oh, and another thing, sometimes my computer will spontaniously reset while playing CSsource.. any help? I have an Athlon XP 2500+, i think it may be overheating...

please?

goto your settings folder and delete the config.
usually c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\[user-name]\half-life 2\hl2\cfg
delete config.cfg
start the game. - (you'll have to reset all your controls and whatnot tho)

2nd question....

Whats your powersupply? how much was it? brand? most importantly whats the wattage?

if you think its overheating tho, try taking the side of the case off so air can get into it. maybe point a house fan in its direction then see if it turns off on you like that.

Jonbo298
12-04-2004, 06:51 PM
If your comfortable, open the side of the case and check for dust underneath the CPU fan. Sometimes, if you get too much dust under the CPU fan, it can really start to heat up the CPU. Heck, recently I noticed my CPU getting hotter and hotter so I opened the case, removed fan, lots of dust. Got rid of it off the heatsink and dropped my cpu temp from around 50c to around 40-42c now. A pretty large drop.

And for the HL2 thing, go to the properties for HL2 (in Steam window thing by right clicking on HL2 and choose properties), and add -console. That should bypass the rendering of the background so you can change the video options.

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
12-06-2004, 01:02 PM
hmm, ok, i did what null suggested, and now i have a different problem.

i didn't completely delete the config file, but anywyas, now the game says that the file is corrupt or something, and so it says the files will be replaced by steam, except the windows then disappears and the process restarts.
ahhh!

Blackmane
12-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Try completely deleting the config and see if it rebuilds itself.

Hopefully that works, but if not you might have to delete Steam's main .gnf file for HL2 which would make it reinstall the whole thing.

And, I definetely recommend putting -console in the command line to bring up the console at the beginning. It removes the main menu load which is nice, and the only downside is you don't get the active background.

Null
12-06-2004, 01:35 PM
the config.cfg file the game will remake at start if it cant find it. it puts all default options on and makes that file over since its just a txt file.

if you havnt deleted the file just put it back and do what Jonbo said (i couldnt find a way to put that -console option in before he said that. im used to altering the link file and adding that in, i've never used steam until this game)

What exactly did you do if you didnt delete that cfg file anyway? i tried it on mine just to see and it remade the file for me with no probs.

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
12-07-2004, 01:00 PM
i just stuck it in my recycle bin, i didn't delete it, i assumed it would rebuild it if it wasn't in the correct folder.

Null
12-07-2004, 01:34 PM
it should. thats how they've always been.

Did you end up getting it to work? use the -console or what?

Seth
12-17-2004, 08:32 PM
What's the best(free) program to convert .dat files to avi?

I downloaded a free version of river past but it doesn't recognize the .dat file as a video file. :(

quiet mike
12-23-2004, 05:56 PM
I don't think there is any conversion neede to be done. Some dl programs rename the files until they are fully downloaded. This is done because it uses multiple packets and so the video is downloaded with different parts at the same time. If you fully downloaded the movie or almost fully you should rename the file yourself and it should work. Otherwhise try a player like AVI preview which can ignore the fact that the video has the first 3 minutes than from minute 15 to 68 and then again minutes 110to finish.

Typhoid
12-28-2004, 08:35 PM
Ok...so heres what happened.

My brother bought me Battlefield Vietnam. I Installed it, played it via the internet, and had many a good time playing it yesterday, and the day before.

So I took Rome: Total War out of my CD tray, and plopped in BF: Vietnam, clicked "Multiplay" then chose a server. But apparently, now, My CD Key is invalid. It wasnt before.

I dont know what to do....I cant play it on the internet anymore...my CD key is always invalid...and I dont get it....because it wasnt invalid before.

Help would result in many thanks and rep.

Null
12-28-2004, 11:53 PM
did ya try just retyping the CD key? or reinstalling the game again?

Bond
12-28-2004, 11:55 PM
You could just magically find another CD key on the internet... but that's illegal or something like that...

Typhoid
12-29-2004, 12:04 AM
It doesnt ask em to type it in though. I did it when I installed it, and it worked, but now when I try get onto the internet for games it says "Invalid CD Key" and exits the program.

Damn you re-installation.

I'll do that as a last resort.

Jonbo298
12-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Try disabling the firewall just in case. Other then that, backup the save file folder for BF:V, and reinstall the game. If those don't work, get EA support to fix it. They will probably ask for the receipt or fax a copy of the cd key and/or sleeve with cd key on it as proof you are the owner.

It's very possible that someone might've opened the box at store and wrote down cd key. But if you can prove you are the owner of the cd key, they can just give you another key if they can't get it resolved for you.

Null
12-29-2004, 09:19 AM
It doesnt ask em to type it in though. I did it when I installed it, and it worked, but now when I try get onto the internet for games it says "Invalid CD Key" and exits the program.

Damn you re-installation.

I'll do that as a last resort.

Start > Run > regedit

under HKEY Local Machine > Software > EA Games

there should be something saved with the CD Key, make sure its correct in there.

Ace195
12-29-2004, 05:06 PM
Just Rip and Reinstall... Post me your cd key.. LOL J/K not Serious at all.. :P Really kidding I swear.. "You have a glorious heiny"... But thats what I would do typhoid.. It's easier then everything else..

Typhoid
12-29-2004, 05:41 PM
I tried to find it in the registry, but couldnt find anything to do with a CD key...maybe im blind, maybe its non-existant.....who knows.

:mad: Stupid people who steal CD keys make me angry.

Null
12-29-2004, 05:59 PM
I tried to find it in the registry, but couldnt find anything to do with a CD key...maybe im blind, maybe its non-existant.....who knows.

:mad: Stupid people who steal CD keys make me angry.

Hkey Local Machine > Software > Electronic Arts > Battlefiled Vietnam > Ergc > they default variable is the cd key

Typhoid
12-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Thats fine up until the "ergc" part.

There isnt one....anywhere...

But then again, im not super computer saavy.

Ok..in the "Battlefield Vietnam" folder, there are things called:

(default)
GAMEDIR
INSTALLEDVERSION
LANGUAGE
LANGUAGEID
SRCDIR
SRCDISK
UNINSTALL

Then there are 2 more folders. Theres a "Battlefield Vietnam v1.21" and a "Battlefield Vietnam(TM)"

Both have one thing in them saying:

(default)

So im lost...so very very lost...

Null
12-29-2004, 06:27 PM
thats the EA games folder....

i was at work when i said that.... i looked here and its in Electronic Arts folder, then EA games / Ergc

Typhoid
12-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Ummm, BF:V isnt under "Electronic Arts" its only ndr "EA Games" the only thing I have in Electronic Arts is Sim City 4, and the Ergc in three is for it.

Is there some sort of way i can just make a new one..because apparently it got deleted...

Null
12-29-2004, 06:37 PM
if its not there. its really just going to be easier to reinstall the damn thing. yes you could just add things into the registry, but if by change it put it in a different spot then all that work would be for nothin.

do this....

rename your battlefield folder to bfvbackup....
install the game. then copy the backup folder of the game and paste it over the new install. wont have to re install updates, and it should put all the stuff in registry it needs.

Typhoid
12-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Ok, so upon uninstalling, it asks me to insert Disc 1.

Disc 1 was already inserted.

I press "OK"

It says "Please insert Disc 1"

*Head explodes*

*sigh* Oh well...I guess I wasnt meant to play online games.

Null
12-29-2004, 06:45 PM
what are you doing to uninstall? (BTW, the way i said didnt need uninstall)

but you dont need the disc to uninstall. just goto control panel, add remove programs and remove vietnam

Typhoid
12-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Oh, I didnt see that part, heh.

Ok, so i made the ergc things, put in the CD key to define it,....aaaand it didnt work...I changed a coupel things to the CD Key...aaaaaaaand it didnt work...I made sure my firewall was off...aaaand it didnt work.

Like, the game works...jsut when i click on a server for multiplay..it says im invalid... :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'll find a way around this, haha.

EDIT:

Ok, I solved my problem...heres how:

Step 1: Play "Rome:Total War".

Problem solved.

GameMaster
12-31-2004, 05:59 PM
My sister and I each have separate accounts on the PC and when she's done using it she always 'switches' off so her applications will continue to run. When I go on, I like to have full power so of course I always restart the computer so that her account gets completley logged off. Our accounts are both password protected and we both have admin settings so even though I could get onto her account and log her off it just gets me in trouble. So I was wondering:

1. Is restarting the PC so often going to harm it in anyway? Normally you only restart after installing an application or if you're computer is having trouble but I must restart at least twice a day. Is there any other way I could log her account off without restarting or messing with her settings?

2. The reason she has admin settings is because she claims some of her programs otherwise don't work. Like Limewire. Is there a way to adjust the settings so these programs will work on a normal, non-admin account? Because I really don't like the idea of her having admin abilities and I'm kind of the maintenance guy for our PC.

Typhoid
12-31-2004, 06:02 PM
You dont have to restart, as far as I know. On my computer you dont have you.

When it takes you back to the "Choose your user" screen, choose her, log her off. This takes you back to the "Choose your user" screen, but now shes logged off, then you can log on as your account.

Or at least, thats what I do on my computer. :confused:

Null
12-31-2004, 08:34 PM
My sister and I each have separate accounts on the PC and when she's done using it she always 'switches' off so her applications will continue to run. When I go on, I like to have full power so of course I always restart the computer so that her account gets completley logged off. Our accounts are both password protected and we both have admin settings so even though I could get onto her account and log her off it just gets me in trouble. So I was wondering:

1. Is restarting the PC so often going to harm it in anyway? Normally you only restart after installing an application or if you're computer is having trouble but I must restart at least twice a day. Is there any other way I could log her account off without restarting or messing with her settings?

2. The reason she has admin settings is because she claims some of her programs otherwise don't work. Like Limewire. Is there a way to adjust the settings so these programs will work on a normal, non-admin account? Because I really don't like the idea of her having admin abilities and I'm kind of the maintenance guy for our PC.

1. yes, restarting often isnt good for the comptuer.
are you talking about XP? because theres a log off button and a switch users. Switch users leaves everything on for that user and lets another user log on. Log off completly logs that user off, nothing in that account is running, restarting doesnt do any extra.

2. if thats the case then its tryin to use something that you'd need to unlock, or its installed in a spot thats for admin.
should try searching on google for that.

GameMaster
12-31-2004, 08:38 PM
Yeah, my sister clicks 'Switch Users' so all of her stuff remains running. And I want to log her off when I go on so I can have full power. But since her account is password protected, there's no way I can log her off without just restarting.

Null
12-31-2004, 09:09 PM
Yeah, my sister clicks 'Switch Users' so all of her stuff remains running. And I want to log her off when I go on so I can have full power. But since her account is password protected, there's no way I can log her off without just restarting.

you could always...... :sneaky: change her password.

:sneaky:

Typhoid
12-31-2004, 09:21 PM
you could always...... :sneaky: change her password.

:sneaky:

Or kill your sister....that would work as well....

Or....just take your passwords off and trust that neither of you will be retarted enough to screw around with the others things.

Ace195
01-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Or you just deny her account from having a password. I'm gonna do some research and find out how it's done again, Used to have to to it to my LTC's computer because he kept forgetting his password but it was a password protected machine so let me look through my books.. and I'll edit this later..

GameMaster
02-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Does it make any difference whether I put my WC3 CD into the DVD-ROM or CD-R ROM drive?

Happydude
02-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Does it make any difference whether I put my WC3 CD into the DVD-ROM or CD-R ROM drive?
nope, no difference.

Jonbo298
02-25-2005, 07:55 PM
A small but proably not as noticeable difference. The DVD-ROM drive may have a slower read speed then your CD-ROM drive. Alot of the DVD Drives I've seen so far have slower CD read speeds then stand-alone CD Drives. But other then that small thing, no difference.

The Germanator
02-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Can somebody who has the most recent edition of Firefox go to ESPN.com and see if it crashes their Firefox like it does every single time to me?

I go to ESPN a lot, and my IE doesn't even run it very well.... :unsure:

Jonbo298
02-28-2005, 01:40 PM
ESPN.com crashed for me also with FireFox with 1.0.1. Also, someone else I know that uses FF had espn.com crash on them also. I'd say send the crash report to Mozilla and report the problem to the webmaster of ESPN.com and hopefully it gets fixed soon

I also checked their help/contact us area and saw this:

WHY DOES MY BROWSER CRASH WHEN I TRY TO ACCESS ESPN.COM?
Make sure you have Flash 5.0 on your computer. To download this version, click on "Install Now" at:

http://sdc.shockwave.com/shockwave/download/frameset.fhtml?P1_Prod_Version=S

I thought I had Flash 5.0 installed in FF, maybe not..

*edit*
I went ahead and installed what they mentioned just in case for some reason I didnt have the newest version but didnt help

Dark Samurai
02-28-2005, 03:26 PM
You know what?

Just format your computer and be done with it...

lol, really dont do that... I dont have a suggestion....

GameMaster
03-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Is there any way to check to see if I have more room in my computer for memory? Like check to see how many spots are in there without actually opening it up. Right now I have two 256 pieces. If I have two more slots available, I could just buy two more 256 pieces bringing my memory up to 1 Gig.

If I only have two slots though, I'll have to buy two 512 pieces and then my current two 256 pieces will basically be useless.

Jonbo298
03-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Open side of computer and check. Most modern comptuers are 3-4 slots. Get a 512 stick if you have 3 and should be fine

Seth
06-05-2005, 04:44 AM
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~raza/car-owned.gif

Any other bf142/desert combat playas? We should play sometime if you exist.

Vampyr
06-08-2005, 11:12 AM
How do you change your internet settings so that your DSL connection is always on?

Null
06-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Should be on all the time already.

do you have one of thoes where you have to 'log in' each time?

Vampyr
06-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Should be on all the time already.

do you have one of thoes where you have to 'log in' each time?

Yeah, I have to log in every time I turn the computer on.

But I thought it was still possible to make it always on.

Null
06-08-2005, 01:17 PM
you can,

the way i know of and is my preference to do that, (i havnt done it in a while since my cable internet doent require i log in) involves going into the router/network hub settings, and setting up a PPPoE account on it (your login name/ password) and telling it to always connect, and then deleting all the software your ISP gave you to log in on your pc.

but if you cant do that then im sure theres other ways.

do you have a network hub? what kind if you do?

Vampyr
06-08-2005, 07:57 PM
you can,

the way i know of and is my preference to do that, (i havnt done it in a while since my cable internet doent require i log in) involves going into the router/network hub settings, and setting up a PPPoE account on it (your login name/ password) and telling it to always connect, and then deleting all the software your ISP gave you to log in on your pc.

but if you cant do that then im sure theres other ways.

do you have a network hub? what kind if you do?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure what that is.

Null
06-08-2005, 10:22 PM
you got the DSL router that the dsl line goes into, (decodes the signal) and comes out as a network line.

that line would either plug directly into your computer, or go into a network hub where it would be shared with other computers in the house.

Vampyr
06-09-2005, 01:25 PM
you got the DSL router that the dsl line goes into, (decodes the signal) and comes out as a network line.

that line would either plug directly into your computer, or go into a network hub where it would be shared with other computers in the house.

The phone line comes out of the wall and goes into a modem (I think that's what it is), then comes out as an ethernet cable, then that goes into this little box that has "netgear" written on it, then that goes into my computer.

Null
06-09-2005, 01:29 PM
type 192.168.1.1 in a web brower and tell me where it takes you. if it takes you to a login screen, thats where you log into your router (its not a website or anything online)

if it says it cant reach it then your router doesnt have thoes type of settings.

Vampyr
06-09-2005, 02:28 PM
It times out trying to reach it.

Null
06-09-2005, 03:13 PM
try 192.169.2.1

if not then i dont think you can do it that way. you'd probably have to find a program or something. Altho doing it through the network hub like that is the best way because if you do have any other comptuters in the house hooked up to the network, they would all be online at the same time. and always on.

Happydude
06-09-2005, 04:37 PM
my dad has an ADSL connection, and i set up a PPPoE account, and he's always connected.

but i have a D-Link router, not a Netgear so ican't really help you there, but i suggest going through your manual for the router and finding out how to do it, assuming you can.

if you can't then you can make a shortcut on your desktop to your connection and in the options of the connection you can tell it not to ask for login info, then you just double click the icon and it auto-connects.

Null
06-09-2005, 05:40 PM
i dont think netgears have the options.

Vampyr
06-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Actually, I have a D-Link modem, but the other little box says netgear on it.

I went into my internet properties today and I have a PPPoE connection.

the only reason I'm wanting to do this is so I'll have the same IP every time I log on. There is an option where I can type in what IP I want, I'm just not sure what number to use or if it would affect my speed.

Happydude
06-10-2005, 07:42 AM
usually, with ADSL, or with any PPPoE connection, you're assigned an IP address to your login. in other words, when you login using the same account, you will always get the same IP address.

Vampyr
06-10-2005, 12:13 PM
You're right, I just tested it. I logged off then back on and my IP was the same number. Great. Problem solved, I don't need to be always on. :)

Thanks for the help guys.

Typhoid
06-21-2005, 03:06 AM
Ok, Ok, Ok.

So nonne of my browsers work. IE is flooded with viruses and the like. Firefox mysteriously stopped working on me. It ate its own face and doesnt exist anymore. Now you might be thinking "Wait, How are you typing?"

Well, I have resorted to MSN explorer. This is a dark day for us all. The bad thing, is it likes to randomly freeze on me. So I have wrote this probably 5 times. It never dawned on me to copy it.

Anyways, I want to know if there is anything I can do to get Firefox working again. Dyne has tried sending me the install application, but my computer, and all of its taking it in the ass glory, doesnt let my computer take any Firefox programs. It says they are possibly infected with a virus, and too high of a risk to accept.

Like I told Dyne, I blame Microsoft.

I shall try check this tomorrow at some point to see what you come up with. And my dad is getting the computer wiped and re-done in a week or so, but not being able to browse at ease is like losing your testicles. You can still go on MSN and talk, but you cant produce babies.

Alright, so that didnt make perfect sense. But still. You catch my drift.

Jonbo298
06-21-2005, 12:41 PM
What AV program is telling you this? Try removing the AV program and then install Firefox again or just disable it altogether if you can and try again. Sounds serious

quiet mike
06-27-2005, 01:48 AM
You're right, I just tested it. I logged off then back on and my IP was the same number. Great. Problem solved, I don't need to be always on. :)

Thanks for the help guys.

You can still be on everytime you boot up. You just have to make a regedit adjustment, or maybe the software is set so you can put it in the start up. Either way, call your tech support and ask them how to. They will tell you.

Seth
12-08-2005, 03:21 PM
yo

I've got a pain in the ass integrated gpu in my less than satisfying acer laptop. I wish my broke college ass had more money. So yeah, the problem.

gpu: 64mb SiS M760GX ....integrated.... *sigh*

While playing games the screen will freeze up and display only a spectrum of vertical lines. It can take a few hours of playing a game before this happens or only a few minutes.

So I check the driver and it's updated. cpu and ram usage are running at a decent level. So yeah, if anyone in the know can help me out with this less than mainstream gpu problem I'd be super happy since the college I'm at, located in thailand, is a lot more fun when I can play some computer games every once in a while.

So yeah, between getting threatened by gun wielding cambodians, running over stray dogs with my motorcycle in the dark, the sufficating heat, and of course not being able to play games on my lappy, it's going good in this new environment. If you guys are looking for a changeup of location, I'd recommend travelling while you're all youngins. Miss watching hockey but the nucks are doing pretty good. Damn the wings :)

and yeah, please help me out mi gt amigos.

GameMaster
12-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Do you really run over stray dogs?

Happydude
12-08-2005, 06:01 PM
i would think it's an over-heating problem...i think i got the same problem as you and i'm running on a Radeon 9500 Pro....and while playing a short while, the screen just goes berserk, giving me squares and lines and yeah....then when i alt+tab it's just lines on the desktop and no screwy squares.

so i cleaned my card up along with the rest of the PC while i was at it and it hasn't screwed since then....yet...so it might be that the inside is dusty and it's not cooling down properly....or if i'm wrong...i have no idea what it might be.

GameMaster
01-23-2006, 06:14 PM
The icons on my desktop have black text and a white background and I hate that! Is there anyway to make the text white and the background transparent?

Null
01-23-2006, 06:30 PM
on a windows computer? XP ?

if so, goto properties on desktop... desktop tab, customize desktop, web tab, and make sure theres no active webpage on, and make sure lock icons is off.

if not a pc, and your on a mac, Buy pc, save money, repeat instructions.

GameMaster
01-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Ok, but on the color palette, which one is transparent? And how do I change the text color?

Null
01-23-2006, 07:56 PM
it goes transparent no matter what color you have selected, there is no 'transparent' selection.

the reason it gets a background is because of an option turned on, and its usually to do with the web stuff i just showed you... like if i turned thoes on right now, all my icons have a background behind the text on the desktop.

to change color of text on desktop icons... im not really sure, it should be somewhere in the appearence tab, under advanced. but i dunno where exactly.

GameMaster
01-23-2006, 08:17 PM
There's no way to fix it! This makes me angry!

GameMaster
02-10-2006, 02:04 AM
Is there a difference between a digital tuner and an HDTV tuner? I read in a magazine today that digital tuners can improve your regular television picture. Making normals channels appear with DVD quality. Even if you don't have digital cable.