PDA

View Full Version : RDM/WAR, DRK/RDM, and RDM/NIN

Rndm_Perfection
02-29-2004, 11:19 PM
I wonder, how well of a tank would a RDM/WAR be? Spells to generate hate, pulling... many nifty melee tricks from WAR like defender and berserk (though berserk isn't much of a tank thing to do) and countless melee spells.

Here's what I imagine would be excellent if possible:
ProtectII - Defender - Aquaveil - Stoneskin - Blink - Provoke - Ice Spikes (or whatever other good element).

And if necessary, you could be debuffer guy while doing zero damage, but keeping the hate.

But, you could also play a good part with damage if you aren't the tank:
Black Magic - Enthunder (or another good element) - Berserk

DRK/RDM - DRK already has some MP, which doesn't make it too painful. The versatility is upgraded with the improved INT and the addition of Drain. Still, there's Stoneskin and Blink for when you pull hate, and Enfire type spells to do excess damage.

RDM/NIN - The swiss army knife. Not much to explain... just a lot of stuff that it can do. RDM spells and Ninjitsu. I think this would be the least useful of the three though.

Hero2
02-29-2004, 11:44 PM
I wonder, how well of a tank would a RDM/WAR be? Spells to generate hate, pulling... many nifty melee tricks from WAR like defender and berserk (though berserk isn't much of a tank thing to do) and countless melee spells.

Here's what I imagine would be excellent if possible:
ProtectII - Defender - Aquaveil - Stoneskin - Blink - Provoke - Ice Spikes (or whatever other good element).

And if necessary, you could be debuffer guy while doing zero damage, but keeping the hate.

But, you could also play a good part with damage if you aren't the tank:
Black Magic - Enthunder (or another good element) - Berserk

DRK/RDM - DRK already has some MP, which doesn't make it too painful. The versatility is upgraded with the improved INT and the addition of Drain. Still, there's Stoneskin and Blink for when you pull hate, and Enfire type spells to do excess damage.

RDM/NIN - The swiss army knife. Not much to explain... just a lot of stuff that it can do. RDM spells and Ninjitsu. I think this would be the least useful of the three though.

well at higher rdm is a good tank they have stone skin and another one but if you want a tank at lower lvls pld/war

DRK/RDM : well with drk you shouldent be taking the hate.

I tank alot and I hate it when a dmg dealer pulls off all there fancy moves at the start trying to do as much dmg as they can(mainly blms) just to show off or out of stupidity. Then bitch because they take all the hate and die. This can also be said from over curing whms. the bastards.

but it would be a good combo just dont try and over do it. thers probbly a better combo and im sure ominub will add his two cents and clear it all up. he a genuis when it comes to these matters. =-D

Id say pick a lopsided jobs for the higher lvls like a pure dmg dealer or a high defence char for tanking. Im sure your PT will be well balanced enough with you not having to pick up the slack.
IMO

Rndm_Perfection
02-29-2004, 11:52 PM
Oh, uh, I don't think a DRK/RDM should tank. Buuut, DRKs pull a lot of hate when they do large damage. I think the Stoneskin and Blink would help save them until the tanker pulls it off. It'd safe grief for the WHM.

Hero2
02-29-2004, 11:55 PM
as long as you play drk right you dont draw hate so you shouldent worrie about it.

thats what I ment

TheGame
03-01-2004, 12:39 PM
funny this topic comes up, I plan on being a Red Mage/Warrior (or some type of melee attacking job)

DarkMaster
03-01-2004, 01:02 PM
The thing about RDM is that it doesn't really become that great until higher lvls. Most of the time you'll be used as a debuffer, back-up healer, or even full healer if needed. The problem with being a jack of all trades, is that you aren't a master of any. If you want a nuker, find a blm. Healer, go for the whm. Tank, warrior. For the first maybe 35-40 lvls, most of the time you'll just be a "there's no whm seeking so get the RDM" person.

TheGame
03-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Good point... I could see things getting very hard in the short run. I'm leaning toward being a Tank, but I would really like to be able to use Healing Magic and Destructive magic... I dunno, I think in the end a RDM has the most options even though the trip to this point may be diffucult.

But we'll see... IF I decide not to go Hume RDM my fallback would be Galka Warrior

Rndm_Perfection
03-01-2004, 03:15 PM
Good point... I could see things getting very hard in the short run. I'm leaning toward being a Tank, but I would really like to be able to use Healing Magic and Destructive magic... I dunno, I think in the end a RDM has the most options even though the trip to this point may be diffucult.

But we'll see... IF I decide not to go Hume RDM my fallback would be Galka Warrior

If you really want to push for RDM, do WAR until you get your subjob. Then, at least you'll have provoke by the time you get into parties as a RDM/WAR.

TheGame
03-01-2004, 03:18 PM
At which lvl is a subjob allowed?

Rndm_Perfection
03-01-2004, 03:20 PM
At which lvl is a subjob allowed?

18. That'd las the RDM to level 36, of course.

TheGame
03-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Cool, I may just do that... it leaves me open to decide if I want to go with being a Tank or not too. Should be interesting.

I heard that the sub-job has to be 1/2 the main... does that mean that my WAR level will be moving as I progress as a starting RDM? In other words, will my WAR level always be dropped to fit 1/2 of my RDM skill?

Rndm_Perfection
03-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Cool, I may just do that... it leaves me open to decide if I want to go with being a Tank or not too. Should be interesting.

I heard that the sub-job has to be 1/2 the main... does that mean that my WAR level will be moving as I progress as a starting RDM? In other words, will my WAR level always be dropped to fit 1/2 of my RDM skill?

If you have a WAR18 when you start leveling RDM, you'll start off as a RDM1/WAR1. Every even level, starting at level 4, will give you some benefits from another level of WAR. Eventually, you'll stop getting bonuses when you get to RDM36/WAR18. Unless you spend time to level the WAR18/RDM9.

Benefits include slight stat bonuses, a bit of HP, and the staple abilities of the subjob (except for the two hour ability).

As a RDM36/WAR18 you'd have Provoke (WAR5), Defense Boost (WAR10) and Berserk (WAR15) along with your nifty RDM abilities/spells.

TheGame
03-01-2004, 03:40 PM
cool...

I know this is off topic, but are there any ideas out there to when Sqare will implement PVP?

Hero2
03-01-2004, 04:50 PM
Im pretty sure itll be out when the ps2 version comes out or close to it.

DarkMaster
03-01-2004, 07:20 PM
I've been hearing April for PvP, shortly after the PS2 release. Some people also told me that it will apparently be included in another expansion pack among other new things.

Either way, it should be soon.

TheGame
03-02-2004, 01:29 PM
I know it may sound crazy... but I really want to reach maximum lvl in one of my jobs by the start of the summer. I dunno, but in April I'm going to be on a mission, all buisness. Hearing that RDM isn't a widely appreciated class in the lower lvls may have shattered that dream. I'll see how warrior works out though, the more I think about it the more I want to follow through on WAR to lvl 30 then turn around and put all my energy into RDM.

Oh, and I was wondering, would any of you be willing to power level me when I get the game? Whoever is willing to do it I'll start in your kingdom no doubt.... or.... around the time Ps2's game launches is anybody going to re-start on a new job? (could be a great time, or a bad time with all the n00bs that wil be coming)

Rndm_Perfection
03-02-2004, 08:00 PM
Oh, and I was wondering, would any of you be willing to power level me when I get the game? Whoever is willing to do it I'll start in your kingdom no doubt.... or.... around the time Ps2's game launches is anybody going to re-start on a new job? (could be a great time, or a bad time with all the n00bs that wil be coming)

I could power level you until you are high enough to get into Valkurm Dunes. And it doesn't matter which kingdom you go to, because travel between the kingdoms is easy with a Chocobo. If you're going to be a Hume, go to Bastok if not just to get your ring.