PDA

View Full Version : SAM/???

Rndm_Perfection
02-16-2004, 12:15 PM
OK, I tried posting this earlier, but GT must've been down right as I hit post. Basically, I know I want to have main job Samurai with a Polearm. However, choosing a subjob is difficult. Here are my options:

SAM/WAR - It's basic. Adds a little to attack and defense (job traits especially). In later levels I get double attack (added tp). I also have emergency provoke for parties, but I don't want to get stuck being a Samurai tank.

SAM/WHM - I could keep MP to HP and vice verse jewelry in my inventory for any occassion to offset the terrible Subjob MP problems. WHM sub gives me some support in a party if there is no WHM. Later levels I can teleport and Raise which would be cool for a Samurai.

SAM/BLM - I can enfeeble, which would be good on a personal level. At lvl 34 I can use warp which would make it a good time to do questing or supply runs. BLM lets me Magic Burst the skillchains that Samurai are famous for. If I level GK also, I could switch to GK, do my two hour, chain off myself, and then burst (finally switching back to polearm). It would be beautiful.

SAM/THF - Sneak attack adds for nice damage and a 1-minute 100% hit to offset poor accuracy.

SAM/RNG - SAM is #2 for ranged attacks. I would not get the cool Ranger skills, but I would get improved ranged accuracy. Since ranged attacks boost the TP for your main weapon, it could be used sometimes for good damage and easy TP.

SAM/NIN - Dual Weild would be pointless. However, there is Ninjitsu. Because Ninjitsu requires no MP, there is little Subjob disadvantage. There may be Ninjitsu that stacks nicely with Samurai TP abilities.

SAM/DRG - I get jump and improved accuracy, that's about it. The improved accuracy may be necessary though, and the jump not only adds damage, but it may add TP. How often can jump be used? Every minute? If so, it's a bit like sneak attack, just not as amazing.

Crono
02-16-2004, 03:18 PM
You could just do what I'm doing.. DRG/SAM (see my topic). But you see.. since I like SAMs I'm not just going to keep Samurai at half... I'm going to lvl it more than that. So I'll be doing two jobs at once. One day I hope to have both DRG and SAM AF armor (although not for a LONG time..).

Also I wont be on until 9:30, starting work at a gas station in half an hour.

DarkMaster
02-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Undecided on my sub am I as well. So here's my plan.

I'm keeping war subbed until my sam is lvl 30. Then I'll have meditate, and the true power and worthiness of a sam will begin. People will invite me into parties because I'm sam and not because I can provoke. But, finding a party without meditate is hard, so war will help me there.

So in the mean time, I'll contemplate my sub choices. I thought maybe ranger, but I heard it really doesn't go well with sam (rng/sam however is deemed excellent). I always thought about drg sub, but that's not really a job to be subbed. I thought about nin, but without dual wield, what good would nin be to me? I also thought thf, but...eh, we'll see.

So right now I'm getting parties like mad and its easy street for this sam. I'll have some time to decide.

By the way...

http://www.datazap.net/sites/xirax/Stinky%20Olvido/tar_smr_f.jpg

Dear sweet Jebus.

Rndm_Perfection
02-16-2004, 10:49 PM
You could just do what I'm doing.. DRG/SAM.

I know I want to have main job Samurai with a Polearm

I like the Samurai 2HR, armor, and title.

Crono
02-17-2004, 03:09 PM
I like the Samurai 2HR, armor, and title.

Ah... sorry. But now that I think of it I will also need a sub for SAM (when I lvl SAM... and I dont want to be tank anymore). SAM/RNG sounds the coolest to me.

DarkMaster
02-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Ah... sorry. But now that I think of it I will also need a sub for SAM (when I lvl SAM... and I dont want to be tank anymore). SAM/RNG sounds the coolest to me.
It doesnt work at all.

Just sub your drg.

Hero2
02-18-2004, 06:54 PM
if you sub dragoon wont your dragon only be half your lvl.

Rndm_Perfection
02-18-2004, 08:16 PM
if you sub dragoon wont your dragon only be half your lvl.

Yeah, but he won't lose levels.

He'll keep Samurai and Dragoon at about the same level... growing just over half as fast as us other guys (unless we go off on tangents from leveling, which we will). So, he could be a 50SAM/25DRG or a 50DRG/25SAM... on the same day, with no leveling. Both levels would be level 50, but his active one would be the one he gets the benefits from.

ominub
02-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Hahahaha your an Idiot your Dragon that you get with being Dragoon is your 2 hour so its pointless to Sub Dragoon you dont get the Dragon that follows you around

Rndm_Perfection
02-18-2004, 08:24 PM
Hahahaha your an Idiot your Dragon that you get with being Dragoon is your 2 hour so its pointless to Sub Dragoon you dont get the Dragon that follows you around

Wyvern is why he wants to go DRG/SAM ultimately. But for leveling SAM, DRG subbed is not bad. The job trait, if I remember right, is improved accuracy. And jump isn't all that bad.

You are correct, DRG/SAM is superior for damage than SAM/DRG any day... but SAM/DRG is definately more fun than SAM/WAR =¬Þ

Crono
02-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Exactly what Rndm said. I don't want people to make me tank and I don't want to level a third job right now, so I just sub DRG when leveling SAM.

Hero2
02-20-2004, 08:16 PM
Anyone have any lvl 24 chainmail or some old beatle armor I already bought the vest for beatle and the underware but if you guys have some old stuff if you can send it to me. but its not that big a worrie Im just too lazy to go farm for the money I just want to lvl so i can get pld.

thx in advance

and random gratz on getting sam

ominub
02-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Your AF Armor as a SAM will take the hate anyways so it doesnt matter if you sub worrior or not. Your somewhat Like a PLD which means when your in PTs even if your not subbing War you probaly will steal the hate from the tank sometimes. Not always but sometimes you will and I think that you will get more PT invites as a SAM/WAR anyways but thats just me.

DarkMaster
02-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Yeah you do get more PTs as SAM/WAR, but it doesnt take long to realize that provoke is totally useless to SAM. The only time an enemy attacks me is when I smack it real hard, and I'll have third eye on anyway, so I take no dmg and then the tank will provoke it off. At the end of every battle, I never have more than a few things of HP gone, while everyone else is in the yellow or orange. The WHMs love me ;)

My def is equivalent of a THF's, so tanking is a bad idea. My job is dmg and skills, so something like MNK or THF would be good for a sub. And yeah, I generate a LOT of hate, even more so than the DRK who is doing a bit more dmg than me and casting debuffs. o.O Guess enemies just hate teh Samurai.

Like I said, I'll be keeping WAR sub till 30 for sure. Then I get meditate, and the real excellence of a SAM will shine (hence, I'll be getting PTs cause I'm a SAM and not because of WAR sub).